MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DSI Tempest users: How many of you kept the Tempest?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author DSI Tempest users: How many of you kept the Tempest?
thesnow
DSI Tempest users: How many of you kept the Tempest?

What do you love about it? What do you not like about it?

Is it worth the $2K?
FlameTop
Just picked mine up from the dealer smile Let you know in a couple of days....
dan_p
thumbs up

I will try to elaborate later when i have more time, but its pretty much my favourite thing ever after the modular.
Bath House
I've kept it. Love it more than anything else I own at this point.

What I love: it's deeper than almost anything else I've ever owned, especially for making analog drums, which are my bread and butter. It gives me more to work with than even my modular - in one sound alone (out of 16 available at a time) I'll have five envelopes going all over the place, two analog oscillators, two different LFO's, then 8 more mod sources going to destinations. I can build patches on this thing like nothing else, and the workflow is quick even in spite of menu diving due to the great blend of face controls and soft keys and knobs. I also love the constant updates on the message board, with features that I've specifically championed making their way into regular updates. That feels good as someone who was an early adopter - I'm actively helping make the machine the best that it can be.

I love the sound - melted plastic. Reminds me of old Roland stuff a lot. The envelopes are way snappier than the Mopho/Tetra, which I also own. The ability to have an envelope modulate itself, envelope delay, waveform reset, all right at hand are perfect for making great percussion sounds.

What I don't like: step sequencing really needs a lot of work and seems to be item #37 down the list of priorities. For example, just doing TR-style step sequencing, tapping a pad that's lit up automatically turns it off and resets all of the data that was on it, so even though you can do really awesome "parameter lock" stuff on a per-step basis, you end up having to use a really tedious "etch-a-sketch" interface with the soft knobs and screen grid instead of using a combination of the pads and main knobs, which is at odds with the workflow of the entire rest of the machine.

Speaking of that list of priorities - for a machine that's been out almost a year, they seem to have left one poor dude - Pym on the board - to finish it, and he's clearly working his ass off but it still doesn't have a few basic functions like the ability to make "songs" (playlist), and stuff like external sequencing or polyphonic sequencing in the box may be months away.
StepLogik
Bath House wrote:

Speaking of that list of priorities - for a machine that's been out almost a year, they seem to have left one poor dude - Pym on the board - to finish it, and he's clearly working his ass off but it still doesn't have a few basic functions like the ability to make "songs" (playlist), and stuff like external sequencing or polyphonic sequencing in the box may be months away.

Pym is obviously a gifted software engineer but he's definitely having to bust his ass. I think he does firmware for most of the other DSI devices as well..? That is a BIG task list to carry! I'd love to go work for Dave Smith as a firmware engineer - it would be my dream job! - and give Pym some relief.

I've been holding out on buying the Tempest until a few more of the software issues are resolved. I wanted to adopt early so that Dave would have more R&D cash on hand but I'm just a bit skittish.
thesnow
Yeah the leftover software issues and the inability to be able to program "songs" like Bath House mentioned is why I've also waited to invest in the Tempest, too.

But I'm sure it sounds fantastic as all of DSI's stuff does, especially the Evolvers.
Suburban Bather
Bath House pretty much hit the nail on the head on all points. Don't forget the two digital oscillators in addition to the analog oscillators thumbs up

The step sequencing is kind of tedious, but its easy to get fast with it regardless of all of the knob twisting you have to do. At least filling in 16th notes is super quick. Just use the roll function and hold the pad down while recording. The minor gripe with the step sequencing just gives me another reason to practice my drum pad playing skills anyways.

If your buying the Tempest for an xox clone, you are wasting your money. It does have some pretty good 808 and 909 samples in it though. I do have to say that you will be disappointed with the 909 open hat sample(the decay is too damn short) If you want an analog/digital hybrid drum machine/synth with a super easy to use interface, the Tempest is definitely worth the 2 grand.

If it was not for PYM being on the ball with update after update, I would have sold my Tempest and bought a Machinedrum or Miami.
Audio Resistance
Suburban Bather wrote:

If it was not for PYM being on the ball with update after update, I would have sold my Tempest and bought a Machinedrum or Miami.

The Tempest and the Machinedrum compliment each other really well. The MD just has that crunch in the high end that comes in crystal clear over the Tempest.

I love the Tempest, and if you have any experience with the other DSI stuff you will immediately understand a lot of the architecture.

This video has some Tempest and MD playing of each other. However, some Buchla percussion is in the mix as well.

Bath House
Suburban Bather wrote:

The step sequencing is kind of tedious, but its easy to get fast with it regardless of all of the knob twisting you have to do. At least filling in 16th notes is super quick. Just use the roll function and hold the pad down while recording. The minor gripe with the step sequencing just gives me another reason to practice my drum pad playing skills anyways.

I totally love step sequencers for writing melodies and basslines becuase I always - ALWAYS - come up with something different and weirder than I would have naturally done. I'd like to see even a few basic updates to the step sequencer on the Tempest - for example, tapping an existing step doesn't automatically delete/reset it but instead just selects it for editing, and also maybe the ability to change pitches per step using the pads by going to 16 pitches from 16 time steps, ability to just tap "reverse" on a selected step to reverse it instead of hunting it down in the menu and turning it "on," inserting notes with a duration greater than 2 (which often makes the note barely audible), etc.

This thing could be the next MC-4.
ResistSound
I bought mine back in December. The Tempest is the best music gear purchase I've ever made.

Reasons I love it
I always write songs on it. Ideas come quick and easy.
On one track you can have poly, another a mono and analog drums on the others
Sounds great!
Great filter!
2 analog OSC and 2 Digital OSC
Super fun and amazing features for performing

Things I can't wait for it to have
Sequencing of external gear
some type of ARP

This paired with my Euro is hours of fun!

Something I did with it right when I got it
pipwilliams
can the Tempest output triggers to a modular?
Suburban Bather
pipwilliams wrote:
can the Tempest output triggers to a modular?
That's how I sync an Oberkorn, it works great thumbs up
computer controlled
I WISH i had one!!!
ideovideov
external sequencing would be amazing.. the tempest as a full fledged sequencer would burn some sequencer competition imo.. had two buddies return it tho, granted they both had never owned a menu-driven desktop unit.

will stick with the mpc for now tho, interested to see where the firmware goes smile
dan_p
Its very flexible as a sound design tool, and for drum sounds I find it fantastic, its very easy to make sounds with too. despite some knobs having a couple of functions via a shift button and occasional click of the arrow button to look at a different page I find it very intuitive and quick. its laid out really well.
The analogue voices sound great, really great, and the modulation routings and possibilities are vast.
The Sequencer is just amazing, its very quick, intuitive and so much fun to use. as a tool for building beats and stuff quickly and then jamming with them all on the fly it simply has no equal that I have ever used.
It feels like an instrument too, it just comes together so well. The pads feel great and the real-time beat control is brilliant.
I also find it very expressive, the pads feel great and you can easily set up lots of velocity stuff to change stuff which makes it feel so hugely expressive.

I should point out though that I use it for what it is, I am only interested in using it as a complete unit. I have no desire to sequence anything else with it. I do have some interest in the Midi in side which is not quite there yet as I used to be a decent drummer and would like to try it with a small electronic kit and a Roland Handshandy (HSPD15) but I would consider that a bonus. I also don't use a DAW at all so don't want to hook it up to Abletool 7 and a FaderFux (Like the Kids do!). I just use the midi clock via a little box to send 16ths to the Modular.
About the only thing I am really wanting to happen is to remove the quantize from real time recording. I find it a bit annoying when your trying to drop stuff in the pocket. I understand that this is a sticking point as it makes life difficult for the step seq side of things. I have only looked at the step sequencer side for 5 mins, I can't be arsed when its just so easy to bang the beats in from the pads. If I had my way they would fuck it off altogether. Like someone said above, if you want to X0X it then get something that does the X0X thing.

Any way, ramble over. Tempest Fucking Rawks Biatch!!!
Bath House
dan_p wrote:
I have only looked at the step sequencer side for 5 mins, I can't be arsed when its just so easy to bang the beats in from the pads. If I had my way they would fuck it off altogether. Like someone said above, if you want to X0X it then get something that does the X0X thing.

Step sequencing isn't meant to "just be X0X" by a long-shot, and is there to get completely different results than you'd gravitate toward playing in.
Indigo333
I became very impatient with the OS updates and honestly, my Tempest sat for months on a coffee table lol
When it came down to it, I got more out of my MDUW and the Polyevolver...I needed some modules etc so I sold it. I bought the Tempest along with the OT and some other shit, so when I went into overload, the Tempest sold. I would like to have one again but I am not in a hurry due to the wait for the updates to reach where IMO should have been before the Tempest was even on the market. I can understand the bugs get worked out mainly with the help from many users and what they find but I was impatient enough with the OT.
As a stand alone groove box it was just not my thing but sending it through other gear and mangling it was rad.
This is just my experience and I may have another someday but for 2000 it's not worth it. I would rather have a used MDUW and an evolver for that amount of cash. I sold mine for 1500 USD, that's how much I cared...overrated IMO but a fun little toy
lvoemachine
I loved the sound but the lack of external sequencing, occasional note hangs and a few other things led me to sell it. I think kits a little pricey for what it does and where the firmware stands but worth it if you want to base your sound and workflow around one box. I use Dsi gear so the interface was super easy for me and I actually wrote tons of songs on it in a way I've never done before. Worth it if you have cash to burn but considering I can get a used machinedrum for almost half it made it hard to keep. If was even 1500 I would have reconsidered returning it.

It does sound like I should have spent more time on the message board though. I'm glad to hear there is response to feedback in the design by users.
Indigo333
Don't get me wrong(not that there is one) in all respects, but why is it there is no reverb in any of the DSI gear? I understand crafting with the delay, feedback etc but if there is 2 digital Ociators in the PEK and the Tempest
as well, why no reverb, either digital or analog? seriously, i just don't get it
astroschnautzer
Indigo333 wrote:
Don't get me wrong(not that there is one) in all respects, but why is it there is no reverb in any of the DSI gear? I understand crafting with the delay, feedback etc but if there is 2 digital Ociators in the PEK and the Tempest
as well, why no reverb, either digital or analog? seriously, i just don't get it
I don't know but reverb is not something thats related to analog synthesis as delay is, and reverb you often want better quality that would be possible on this kind of machines.... Just my 2 penny speculation.....
dan_p
^ yeah, I have feeling that if the Tempest had Reverb then I wouldn't want to use it anyway, much better having outboard stuff for me.

The digi osc is different than having a digital effect in the signal path.

Bath House wrote:

Step sequencing isn't meant to "just be X0X" by a long-shot, and is there to get completely different results than you'd gravitate toward playing in.

I may of put my point badly, I am not against step sequencing in the slightest, I love sequencers of any flavour apart from maybe DAW's Its just that for ME I never use the Tempest step seq side, but I am conscious of how it is limiting the play the sequence in live via pads side that I do like a lot. It would be interesting to know how many Tempest users do the majority of programming via the step seq and not mashing pads?

What I was trying to get at in my post was that whilst I love the Tempest I do only use it in a very basic focussed way.
deltaphoenix
I am just bumpin' this because I am interested in what the OP asked....who still has it? Is the current update doing the trick for you?
thesnow
and does it do anything else besides 4/4 now and when will you be able to actually record songs, store them and play them back for things like live performances, like the electribe mx's.
dan_p
Still have one

os (beta) is now stable again after a bit of a bad spell.

alternate time signatures (very flexible) and playlist are implemented. I dont use playlist so cant vouch for how comprehensive it is, i have a feeling that it has further to go.
shreddoggie
I didn't like mine - I sold it. My conclusion after spending a lot of time with it was that the Linn bit was AMAZING and I loved the interface and the thinking behind the performance drum machine concept - really live and responsive and musical like an instrument rather than just a beat box. What I didn't like was the Dave Smith bit - for my taste it was just not big and solid enough no matter how much work I put into synthesizing kicks or using good samples - it just didn't thump.

Elsewhere on the web many have expressed the same opinion but there are also many who feel that the synthesis engine is very deep and those people have found the results they've gotten to their liking. We all have different aesthetics. If I was to 'advise' someone very keen on getting one I would recommend that its great for the top of the kit and the sequencing and performance possibilities are fantastic but I would use something else for the solid bottom.

Given unlimited funds I would consider using it as a drum sequencer with another unit (or 2) as the sound module(s). Tempest brains driving an MPC 60 and a TR-909 would be from outer space.

BTW: Pym is the man, really smart, helpful, and enthusiastic about what they are doing. I felt guilty giving up on the Tempest because he was so helpful - he actually invited me down to DSI hq so someone could install an OS update that wouldn't install on my machine.
SunSpots
I had mine for a month. More than enough time to figure out and make a lot of material on. I liked a lot of it. Mainly the sequencing power, pads.... Synth engine bugged me though. I didn't like menu diving for samples, and none of my own samples at the time. Solidly built. At the time the so was crap. Would hang on midi notes all the time. The sequencer was unparalleled. Is the only reason I would buy again.

You can pick these up new for 1600.

I have a modular to build endlessly, so until a tempest is under 1000 I will do without it. I don't miss it. I can build analog drums in my A4. Also have a OT and mduw. No need for much else..... And of course the hungry modular smile
deltaphoenix
That is all what I needed to hear. I am about to buy an Elektron Machinedrum UW+ MKII. I was thinking that I would get an A4 later but there was a part of me saying to just buy a Tempest.
I am going the Elektron route. THANKS thumbs up
pipwilliams
Each to their own, but I don't see the point in the Machinedrum anymore.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and risk getting flamed. When i used it I only got a good top end from it, the bottom end was weak IMO. It works for some styles of music, polite, more refined stuff like minimal and IDM, but not for anything heavier. You can pretty much hear any track that uses it straight away. This may or may not be a bad thing. For me, it's a bad thing... I guess it depends what music you make and what character you're after.

The inclusion of the UW is a waste of time, elektron seem to have added it as an after thought. If you're going down that route, grab an Octatrack. Far, far superior sequencer and awesome in a live setup.

The Tempest is a unique beast which I won't deny does require some love, but there is absolutely no reason why you can't get the exact sound you want sculpted from it. Don't listen to the hype saying it has a poor bottom end, that's nonsense, it can create bass drums that literally shake a room.

Just my 2p worth.
ignatius
baseck sure gives it a work out.. but he has those DJ champion hands.

REwire
lvoemachine wrote:
I loved the sound but the lack of external sequencing.....

No external sequencing? Does that mean you can't just play it from a midi keyboard. That'd be crazy woah

Dan
pipwilliams
REwire wrote:
lvoemachine wrote:
I loved the sound but the lack of external sequencing.....

No external sequencing? Does that mean you can't just play it from a midi keyboard. That'd be crazy woah

Dan

You can play from midi keyboard
ignatius
But you can't sequence external gear yet right?
pipwilliams
Not tried sequencing external gear yet, i haven't had the need as i use my Octa for that, superb! I recall reading somewhere that the Tempest outputs can trigger modulars. Don't quote me on that though...
Kent
Indigo333 wrote:

I suspect that it is simply too expensive in hardware costs (analog) and/or processor cycles & memory (digital).
pipwilliams
Indigo333 wrote:

There's no way you'd get an analog reverb squeezed into a unit that size as well as all the other functionality. Also, providing digital reverb kind of goes against the whole philosophy too (despite there being samples inside the unit). It's really not what Tempest is about. Just process additional reverb through your DAW or an Eventide Space or something. I'm not sure why that would alter your perception of the machine. After all you'd need to add reverb to any vintage synth and that doesn't stop tons of people wanting them still hihi
echologist
keeping my tempest. its got some issues, but its a pleasure to work with. Rockin' Banana!
SunSpots
pipwilliams wrote:
Each to their own, but I don't see the point in the Machinedrum anymore.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and risk getting flamed. When i used it I only got a good top end from it, the bottom end was weak IMO. It works for some styles of music, polite, more refined stuff like minimal and IDM, but not for anything heavier. You can pretty much hear any track that uses it straight away. This may or may not be a bad thing. For me, it's a bad thing... I guess it depends what music you make and what character you're after.

The inclusion of the UW is a waste of time, elektron seem to have added it as an after thought. If you're going down that route, grab an Octatrack. Far, far superior sequencer and awesome in a live setup.

The Tempest is a unique beast which I won't deny does require some love, but there is absolutely no reason why you can't get the exact sound you want sculpted from it. Don't listen to the hype saying it has a poor bottom end, that's nonsense, it can create bass drums that literally shake a room.

Just my 2p worth.

I love elektron gear generally speaking, but I agree with pip.
The MDUW - for me the UW is a waste.It's super low quality 12bit? So it ruins everything you put into it. The Octatrack is 24bit. The MD gives you a lot of control over internal digital synthesis of the drum hits. That's nice, but I haven't found myself using it for any of those reasons. The MD has no micro timing... which has been fine for decades, right? at least in popular electronic music.

The tempest has micro timing, none on MDUW. Tempest has 6 voices and will kill other voices when it reaches 7, despite having 16 pads. MDUW has a 16 voice ability (or more?).

As much as I love the pads and the 4 voice analog synth with that awesome sequencer behind it... I have the Analog 4 now and it has micro timing. While it only has 4 voices, you put multiple sounds on one track! It's really a cool feature. So that's the 4 voice analog sound, plus an amazing sequencer to boot.

then sample down into the OT, and you can control a lot of parameters of the sample. More than it appears. Also, the OT has 8 chans of midi out with micro timing, and 3 LFOs per chan. to adjust certain parameters of the midi out, plus the ability to lock parameters.

So, for me, the OT plus the A4 alllllll day long right now. I'd sell my shiney new MDUW to you if you'd like. It was fun to use, but I just am neglecting it and have a modular to feed.

Spots
noobyscooby
Elektron was smart enough too releasing the A4 at a low price point now as opposed to releasing it for 2k and letting the used price drag it down over time like the UW, Monomachine, Octatrack etc.
Rozzer
ignatius wrote:
But you can't sequence external gear yet right?

Not yet. The sequencer doesn't output MIDI.
deltaphoenix
Well...I just scooped up a Tempest. I got it for a nice enough price.
deltaphoenix
Hmmm... I am wanting to love it. A few features are making that hard for me to do. I wish I could turn Quantize off.
Why doesn't it have a pulsing LED to show the tempo instead of the digital counter on the sreen?

Little things are killing my boner.
dan_p
^ the no off for quantize sucks, the reason given is so that events can be edited in the step sequencer side. I would really rather lose the step side, or have a choice of no qauntize and no step or qauntize and step.

The Click LED flashing has been asked for, it wouldn't hurt to request it too, more that want it the more likely it is to appear. Its a simple thing to do so hopefully it will be added.

What O/S are you on? make sure you get the latest Beta 1.2.6.12, after a few bad ones it seems quite stable.
deltaphoenix
I'll put in the request.

I have had the Tempest for less than a week and I have been all over the map with it. I sort of like it, then I like it, then IDK, then I decide I am going to sell it, then I like it again.

I think I want a little more instant gratification with the Tempest to inspire me to dig deep with it. I am still often thinking about a MDUW+ and A4 instead.
I also have thought about a (used) Spectralis.

I am trying to do live music with electronic elements. Mostly a fuzzed out or synthy Bass Guitar with sequenced drums and synths, a girl singer that may play sparse guitar on some slower songs. Also with parts of a set that are all electronica (me on the Hardware). So I wonder if having the pLocks make more sense for me considering that I won't be "playing" any one thing the whole set but won't "lively" parts.

Also I find 32 steps isn't enough for the beats I want to make, I know that there is a workaround to this with the Tempest but "in the moment" it is kind of lame to not be able to do at least 64 steps.
nadafarms
I found the sequencer too rigid, I dont need "fancy" drums... I need slamming drum that bang. Couldn't be happier with my sp-1200/mpc-60 setup.
deltaphoenix
Well, I think I am going to sell it. I just don't understand a few of the limitations it has if it is supposed to be an all-in-one type unit. I can forgive lack of effects. It's just that 32 steps isn't much and I am not going to exclusively play the Tempest. If I was going to stand there with it, muting and unmuting stuff could be a workaround. The unit only has 16 patterns to chain and I look at them as half patterns, so really 8 or less depending on how long I want them to be, basically 512 steps per song. Kind of lame when memory is pretty cheap these days.
dan_p
^ you should sell it. Its for jamming on, if your not jamming on it........ It won't be your friend.
i'm not sure its supposed to be an all in one unit?
dan_p
deltaphoenix wrote:

Also I find 32 steps isn't enough for the beats I want to make, I know that there is a workaround to this with the Tempest but "in the moment" it is kind of lame to not be able to do at least 64 steps.

Why does your Tempest only have 32 steps? Mine has 64 per pattern as i suspect does everybody else's, is it possible you don't know know how to use it yet?

Try pushing Erase and Copy at the same time (its labelled as Edit) there you will find some interesting things, such as being able to change the time signature and.............. add/delete bars from patterns.

You can also add bars by putting it in 16 time steps mode, holding shift pushing copy, then selecting bars to copy, if you copy bar 1 to 3 and 2 to 4, guess what, 4 bars, =64 steps, its like magic.

You can do a P-lock type thing in tempest, just use the sliders (you have to sept them up, so maybe RTFM) then you can record slider movement within the sequence, or if you want you can edit the step and do it manually, or play then adjust if you messed up.

I think it would be beneficial if you sat down with it and went through some stuff and got to know it. I'm not being rude here but it seems that its your knowledge of the Tempest and not the Tempest itself that has the limitations, you can request info here if you get stuck, I'm no Guru but I know my way around it reasonably well. It's pretty easy but maybe not everything is obvious.
deltaphoenix
Hey dan_p, Yeah I am holding onto it. I missed a few things in the manual for sure and am going back through it. TBH I haven't read the addendum for 1.2 yet.
I will hit you up if I get stuck, thanks.
dan_p
^ definitely get the latest O/S (beta). also make sure you update panel O/S to 1.3, this is important as it addresses an issue that if an upgrade failed it was return to base, with 1.3 installed you can restart machine and try again, or something like that anyway.

I don't think its available on DSI website but is on prophet users forum. link below

http://prophet5.org/viewtopic.php?t=2674
deltaphoenix
Thanks!
I've got myself a Tempest as well.

I really use it mainly for strange SFX type sounds. I'm at a love hate relationship with mine. Sometimes I am all about it, and really sometimes, I can't be bothered.

I picked up an MFB522 to cover drum duties, I really thought the tempest would cover those, but what happens is because of how it's set up, I can never get a proper kick going when I'm jamming.

reason being: when in mute or beat mode, I like to turn the cutoff, and effect all the sounds, unfortunately you cannot exclude one sound from it. And also it's one of my favorite sounds from the box, its really cool, makes a lot of your sounds kind of blend and morph together. Unfortunately due to this, sometimes you have unexpected really high volume tracks with filter self oscillating, and feedback running, and on a different mixer channel that you've ....forgotten... about... comes in and then it just hurts ears. :-)

I've created some very nice basslines with it, some odd sounds of "is that a kick or a bass?"

But that filter, on the kicks just really kill them. Hopefully the mfb522 that's coming will fix that.
vinayk
i'm ambivalent to mine also - mainly wanted it as a polyphonic synth - i tend to just use maschine for drums - still trying to sell it out in Aust - if anyone is interested PM me!
dan_p
vinayk wrote:
mainly wanted it as a polyphonic synth!

It does say Drum Machine on the front of it...............

Mr. Green
dan_p
3001 wrote:
when in mute or beat mode, I like to turn the cutoff, and effect all the sounds, unfortunately you cannot exclude one sound from it.

This has been requested a few times. It would be very useful to remove a voice from the beatwide parameters. You can only remove a digital Osc from the filter at present.
One thing I do when I make a kick that works quite well. I use a digi osc sine wave to create an impulse clicky thing at the start of the kick (use aux envelope set to Osc 3 level to shape), I then set this as post filter. Then when you mess with the filter in Beatwide you still always get the impulse/click. I htink it sounds great and you keep the feeling of the beat going. I also mainly use the filter as sound source for the kicks. I kind of like the way it varies the kick pitch when you jam the filter in beatwide mode.
n3wt15
I love my tempest, I hardly ever go on the forums, so i dont know what it cant do...i just use it the way I know it works and I am very happy...i would however love external sequencing, and longer pattern lengths, but Ill work with what I have for now.

This coming from a guy who got one of the first spectralis runs and delt with that OS for years lol
dan_p
n3wt15 wrote:
I love my tempest, I hardly ever go on the forums, so i dont know what it cant do...

Brilliant

Only what it can!!!!

applause

You do have to work with things, there are a lot of people, especially over at the dsi forum, moaning that it doesn't work like an Elektron MD or doesn't do what is easy to do in there plugin fruity drum DAW. I'm a bit biassed as I like limitations in stuff. Its more fun sometimes working out how your going to do something with a particular set of parameters at your disposal than being able to do anything, which is pretty much why I prefer hardware to computers.
vinayk
dan_p wrote:
vinayk wrote:
mainly wanted it as a polyphonic synth!

It does say Drum Machine on the front of it...............

Mr. Green

lol - there are a lot of videos of it as a synth
the drum machine/programming features were a cool bonus

but regardless i find despite all the knobs there a little bit more menu diving than I'd like - I guess ive been spoilt by my modular!
I actually justs old mine. confused

I think I've made some cool sounds on it, but then i've tried to make some normal bread+butter sounds...dial up a kick+ snare...and it sounded like garbage....make some pads...sounded lifeless... I've made some awesome sonds via serendipity...

I really love the tempest in thought, and i post on forums about it highly because mainly I'm at work, but once I use it i just dont like it. often I'll just use one of the samples with no modulation, j ust filters.

also the envelope drives me nuts with having to use shift to get to the 2nd half of an adsr, adsr I like to have laid out right in front of me...

I'm going to miss it for sure though.
I actually justs old mine. confused

I love the tempest in theory, but in reality, not really. Same with a lot of gear.

I'm going to miss it for sure though, but I miss the idea of it. a self contained drum/synth power house with an amazing sequencer. too bad the sequencer doesn't have glides/accents without bootleg workarounds... for the money I'd rather have a polyevolver.
pix
I returned mine 2 days after receiving it
M-Circus
Mine's going now too, provided I get a decent price for it.
Enkidoo
I'm going to take the dust cover off mine again soon. There are a few flaws for sure and I almost sold it. However, what do I replace it with? I'm sure it's an incredible musical sketchpad because of the non obvious results I've been having compared to what I made before having one. It really opened my production up . Working on one analog machine with 32 (I never use more than 16 for practicality) sounds gives a serious "palette' to work with. Once you play with it enough, the "menu diving" becomes second nature, the interface is not bad at all, it's the sequencer limitations that have enraged me mostly and a few bugs that also didn't help. However, for 500 euros more than the Moog LP for example, this is great value for money. The constant "beta" atmosphere has soured the atmosphere a lot over a the DSI forum and will always leave a trace. DSI should have done a better job, that's for sure. I would gladly have paid more for it too. While dust gathered on the cover, I was looking for alternatives that would allow me to do the same (in a way) but better.. It's just not that obvious at all.
dubnspace
thinking of selling mine, I thought I'd use it more than I do.. I find myself using Maschine mostly for drums and am frustrated by DSI's lack of ability to get the OS right.. I would consider selling to help fund a Prophet 12 but I'm afraid that'll end up with the same kind of support as the Tempest..
skynosaur
Hey all! This is my first post on this forum. Figured I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I'm head over heels for my Tempest. Part of this has to do with using it in conjunction with an MPC 2500. The two compliment each other incredibly. The shortcomings inherent in the Tempest (lack of sampling, no non-quantize, etc) are where the MPC shines, and the Tempest offers a world of sound design that the MPC could never step to.

I think that anyone criticizing the Tempest's ability to make fat bread-and-butter sounds has not spent enough time learning to exploit its capabilities. This is due in part to the woefully terse and uninformative manual. Many very basic sound design tricks are completely absent, and there's no effort to give starting points. For example: Using Noise to modulate Osc 1 or 2, giving you a tunable analog noise generator. (I even remember a Sound on Sound review where the author lamented the lack of such a noise generator!) This is just one example--the list goes on and on.

I've saved a huge library of basic sounds to have at my fingertips for when inspiration strikes, and once a week or so I'll have a sound design session to add more. So much fun.

It's definitely no all-in-one unit, and it definitely has some quirks and limitations that get annoying, but for me it's a trade-off I'll gladly accept for getting sounds that no one has ever heard.
echologist
lots of valid points here and precisely why I almost sold mine but now realize I never will. it goes deep. it's not perfect, but what it offers is significant.

skynosaur wrote:
Hey all! This is my first post on this forum. Figured I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I'm head over heels for my Tempest. Part of this has to do with using it in conjunction with an MPC 2500. The two compliment each other incredibly. The shortcomings inherent in the Tempest (lack of sampling, no non-quantize, etc) are where the MPC shines, and the Tempest offers a world of sound design that the MPC could never step to.

I think that anyone criticizing the Tempest's ability to make fat bread-and-butter sounds has not spent enough time learning to exploit its capabilities. This is due in part to the woefully terse and uninformative manual. Many very basic sound design tricks are completely absent, and there's no effort to give starting points. For example: Using Noise to modulate Osc 1 or 2, giving you a tunable analog noise generator. (I even remember a Sound on Sound review where the author lamented the lack of such a noise generator!) This is just one example--the list goes on and on.

I've saved a huge library of basic sounds to have at my fingertips for when inspiration strikes, and once a week or so I'll have a sound design session to add more. So much fun.

It's definitely no all-in-one unit, and it definitely has some quirks and limitations that get annoying, but for me it's a trade-off I'll gladly accept for getting sounds that no one has ever heard.
just dropped my Tempest off at the UPS store. Sold it, bought a nord modular g2 for the same money, I think I'll get a ton more use out of the G2. :-) I was using the tempest for sound effects, G2 should provide them more.

for the $1400 they're worth used, I think there's just so much more you can do with that money. It seemed so cool in practice, and I loved the sound at first @ guitar center when I played on it.
echologist
I think its important for an instrument to be a challenge. all we must decide is if that particular challenge coincides with our musical intentions/ vision. I've realized the tempest does coincide with mine. of course, like any healthy relationship, there is a constant love? hate thing going on 8_)
echologist wrote:
I think its important for an instrument to be a challenge. all we must decide is if that particular challenge coincides with our musical intentions/ vision. I've realized the tempest does coincide with mine. of course, like any healthy relationship, there is a constant love? hate thing going on 8_)

I didn't find the tempest that much a challenge. It's kind of a very simple synth engine, I just didn't like it that much. TBH i've never heard anyone make that great sounding of stuff off it, even the "Experts" from the DSI forums... I heard the patch everyone was like eek! analog drums over... but when loading in it, I didn't hear much to it that any mono synth could really provide...
echologist
I find mine to be a worthy challenge as my main aim is too jam with it. I use it live and find mangling sound and beats on it to be fun, specially the better I get at it. I guess for me the challenge is learning to play it like an instrument and understand the little subtleties and nuances it has. I'm sure I could accomplish this on a machinedrum too, but I'm sticking with this thumbs up

3001 wrote:
echologist wrote:

I didn't find the tempest that much a challenge. It's kind of a very simple synth engine, I just didn't like it that much. TBH i've never heard anyone make that great sounding of stuff off it, even the "Experts" from the DSI forums... I heard the patch everyone was like eek! analog drums over... but when loading in it, I didn't hear much to it that any mono synth could really provide...
echologist wrote:
I find mine to be a worthy challenge as my main aim is too jam with it. I use it live and find mangling sound and beats on it to be fun, specially the better I get at it. I guess for me the challenge is learning to play it like an instrument and understand the little subtleties and nuances it has. I'm sure I could accomplish this on a machinedrum too, but I'm sticking with this thumbs up

3001 wrote:
echologist wrote:

Fair enough:-)

I think I found it simple due to I think owning every other Roger linn sequencer...LinnSequencer, forat9000, Linn Drum, MPC60, MPC3000 and using Dave Smiths' studio 440 a bunch... the whole interface came very natural.

I wish it had cross mod, analog noise, looping sustain points on sample, resonant hpf, option to have HPF before the LPF...:-) bit crush before filter...to make it really awesome for a dru machine:-)

It's sequencer is awesome, if they ever add importing samples, and modulatable start points/loop points, well loops, i'll buy one in a heart beat. I like the filters. just think the samples in it suck.
echologist
am hoping DSI step up to the plate with it rather than let it fade. the people who forked out for it certainly deserve it. if they add sample import and external sequencing I can see it becoming a full blown classic of the highest order!

3001 wrote:
echologist wrote:

3001 wrote:
echologist wrote:

I think I found it simple due to I think owning every other Roger linn sequencer...LinnSequencer, forat9000, Linn Drum, MPC60, MPC3000 and using Dave Smiths' studio 440 a bunch... the whole interface came very natural.

I wish it had cross mod, analog noise, looping sustain points on sample, resonant hpf, option to have HPF before the LPF...:-) bit crush before filter...to make it really awesome for a dru machine:-)

It's sequencer is awesome, if they ever add importing samples, and modulatable start points/loop points, well loops, i'll buy one in a heart beat. I like the filters. just think the samples in it suck.
I agree, it'll be amazing then. Add some sample editing features. I said this on the DSI forums, but...

on the buggy/lack of speed, I really dont think that's the case, well rather it should be expected.

The history of the two developers is not the best with drum machines.

the linn9000 roger linn never completed, forat completed it to make it stable, and it's less stable than the tempest, that took a while, and what the linn9000 was $5000 or $6000? that development took a while too..

the MPC60 wasn't perfect when it was released, and didn't really get great until 3.10 os, well even 3.02 or whatever it was. That took forever too.

The Studio 440, Dave smith's project, was he even there during the making of this? or was he gone?, was never finished, and is still buggy. albeit an awesome machine, if it worked well :-)

But I think people are being a little harsh! their history shows itself. It's only been out for what ? 2 years? It's still pretty stable(I never got it to crash), but it could use some work.

I bet in 5 years it'll be great , if DSI doesn't go under, doesn't look like that's going to happen. :-)

echologist wrote:
am hoping DSI step up to the plate with it rather than let it fade. the people who forked out for it certainly deserve it. if they add sample import and external sequencing I can see it becoming a full blown classic of the highest order!

3001 wrote:
echologist wrote:

3001 wrote:
echologist wrote:

echologist
its time for dave smith to step up and take care of the base that has helped facilitate his evolution and progress. dave, u listenin? Mr. Green

3001 wrote:
I agree, it'll be amazing then. Add some sample editing features. I said this on the DSI forums, but...

on the buggy/lack of speed, I really dont think that's the case, well rather it should be expected.

The history of the two developers is not the best with drum machines.

the linn9000 roger linn never completed, forat completed it to make it stable, and it's less stable than the tempest, that took a while, and what the linn9000 was $5000 or $6000? that development took a while too..

the MPC60 wasn't perfect when it was released, and didn't really get great until 3.10 os, well even 3.02 or whatever it was. That took forever too.

The Studio 440, Dave smith's project, was he even there during the making of this? or was he gone?, was never finished, and is still buggy. albeit an awesome machine, if it worked well :-)

But I think people are being a little harsh! their history shows itself. It's only been out for what ? 2 years? It's still pretty stable(I never got it to crash), but it could use some work.

I bet in 5 years it'll be great , if DSI doesn't go under, doesn't look like that's going to happen. :-)

echologist wrote:

3001 wrote:
echologist wrote:

3001 wrote:
echologist wrote:

echologist
OK, finally had enough of the tempest. selling it. ordered a machinedrum UW
Suburban Bather
I had the tempest for a few months. I got tired of screwing around with its small quirks. The voice stealing and weirdness with the individual channel outputs got me fed up. From my experience, the tempest is a solid rocker on its own! It really does have potential for a modern classic. However, its a PITA to sync up to other gear. Got it to sync my oberkorn, shut everything down, come back to it later, and my oberkorn is going crazy. When I clock my oberkorn from my tr626, it never fails.. I always had to fuck around with the tempest to get it to send clock pulses to other gear with analog sync inputs. Good luck with getting the tempest to sync a monotribe.

The tempest is awesome on its own, otherwise its more trouble than its worth, IMHO. Super awesome internal interface/super shitty when playing with others. I hope DSI comes through with the tempest.
Suburban Bather
The tempest is pretty bad ass, but its definitely not ready for its 2k price tag.
spunkytoofers
had to let it go. the sound is there but it just didn't integrate and had too many quirks. i see what it was but there was just too many niggles (freezes, ability to slave to certain devices, occasional bugs) it is a complex device and pym seems to be way overworked in addition to the new products they have been releasing on top of the tempest.

considering how much i loved the tempest's sounds and the polyevolver's sound there were things just not right about both and do not have either anymore.

the poly was my fav of his though.
fewture
I happily sold mine after 9 months use, trying to dig deep and get the best sounds out of it - to the detriment of my overall studio/production time.

IMO, the worst thing about it is the sound. Its not good analogue sound. Its pretty average and sometimes worse than average. There are no demos either that I really like of it - including my own. You should hear amazing demos of it for a $2000 drum machine/synth that are inspiring and make you want to buy it!

IMO its not the futuristic drum box destined to be a classic that everyone says it is or 'will' be.

The best thing about it was the sequencer and the strange drums you would make that you wouldn't normally make anywhere else - but at the end of the day not necessarily usable.

It was sometimes very fun to use - but also very hard to integrate with my other gear in terms of workflow. Was a relief once I had sold it to not have to think about it anymore!

I didn't hear a single kick (that doesn't use one of the samples) that I liked - including all the stuff posted up on forums over the months, including the ones that people thought were amazing and my own created kicks.

I personally feel many people are in denial about it.

Definitely spend some quality time with one before you buy one, and really ask yourself if the sound inspires you
dan_p
Tempest into CocoQuantus into Culture Vulture.

I love the Tempest, its the best drum machine for live jamming. except maybe the Ciat Lonbarde Plumbutter, but thats a whole different ball park. Tempest sounds ace too! Recently I have been running it straight into a Thermionic Culture - Culture vulture and it sounds ridiculously good. Goes from super clean dsi precise to balls deep filth bitch to broken beyond repair.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/dan_p/noflyzone[/s]
7PXT
dan_p wrote:
Tempest into CocoQuantus into Culture Vulture.

I love the Tempest, its the best drum machine for live jamming. except maybe the Ciat Lonbarde Plumbutter, but thats a whole different ball park. Tempest sounds ace too! Recently I have been running it straight into a Thermionic Culture - Culture vulture and it sounds ridiculously good. Goes from super clean dsi precise to balls deep filth bitch to broken beyond repair.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/dan_p/noflyzone[/s]

Great sounds! The Culture Vulture always makes everything so much cooler as well.

I have an early SN Tempest and I'm not selling it. LOVE the sounds..
deltaphoenix
I am digging my Tempest too. The new OS is almost ready. Pym said after this one, the OS will get more new features.
pelican
after this one the prophet 12 will be out, and I doubt you'll see much attention on the tempest
dan_p
Yay, Tempest.

I don't want any more features, its pretty cool as it is. If it were me I would be taking features away and concentrate on its core strengths. Its so damn near spot on.
Tempest excels as a great sounding drum machine that lets you make your own drum sounds from scratch and then build and jam beats up on the fly. I just don't think its made to be a DAW sound module or programme your whole song from start to finish kind of box. It's one for the tweak.

Sunday beat using mostly sampled sounds for a change, (Kick is Analogue).
Recorded through a Culture Vulture.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/dan_p/tempest-cv-beat-1[/s]
deltaphoenix
I do like it to play the song from start to finish. 8 bars would be cool too but I can work around that. Other than that I pretty much agree with you Dan
Mefistophelees
pelican wrote:
after this one the prophet 12 will be out, and I doubt you'll see much attention on the tempest

After 1.3 Pym has said he'll be working on the Prophet 12 but he'll be coming back to the Tempest later. There is common code between them and it'll be back ported to the tempest.
carlfunken
sold mine..didn't like it
Northbest
Why not, if I may ask? I love the look of this thing as a drum box plus some synth accents.
LeFreq
I've kept mine, even though I keep having urges to sell it. It's just so unique and fun. The problem is, I rarely get it in a track (as a full beat) because it sounds flat and dull, never punching thru the mix. Fortunately there are individual outs, but it still takes more processing than I think it should. Part of why I have analog gear is to make great sounds in one place thru synthesis, not do the same thing I have to do with soft synths. I have the same gripe w/ all of Dave's synths, though. Of course, I should admit that I just re-bought the Prophet 08 because it's really the best option for a poly synth for someone who doesn't care to go vintage anymore... I can't wait til someone (hopefully Korg) drops a new poly, I really want something modern and good... with a great sounding filter (which rules out anything DSI, IMO).

In the end, it's so unique and cool (and I have high hopes for upgrades) that I'll keep it. I just wish it was a tad better. My main gripes are not fixable by updates, though, so that's kind of a bummer. Hopefully the FX are improved and the main filter (when in beat mode) will be able to affect post-filter sample oscs.

By the way, wtf is up with the delay? Why is it even there? Is it just for rhythmic programming or is it *supposed to be* an actual delay effect? It's pretty bad, IMO, almost funny and embarrassing. Or... maybe I'm doing it wrong? Idk.
LeFreq
Oh, I reworded my comment and left out something important re: the lack of punch and standing out... I love the sound design aspect of the machine, that's the best part. It can do so much cool stuff in a unique way that I create really great/different sounds with it... and I'm a solid synthesist and drum programmer (my bosses at my loop/sample job say it's my biggest asset)... and I've spent many sessions trying to get better w/ Tempest to see if it's my fault... but nope, never can get it to punch and hit right. I often try to jam with the modular over it and the drums always disappear. If I mix that down afterwards, it's better, but I can jam with the DRM-1 or MFB-522 and the modular and the drums are smashing thru the whole time, no processing or mixing, even just a stereo L/R channel of them. seriously, i just don't get it

I ended up elaborating a bit more, so... any tricks out there? Anyone agree with me or am I crazy? sad banana
Diabolik!
like many others in this thread, I wanted to love the Tempest as well. Sadly, it was just too much of an albatross around my neck. Sold it and bought an A4, which I pair with an OT, and finally found the sound I was looking for without all of the headache.
thesnow
I would rather have a Korg Electribe MX than a Tempest. At least it itself has 16 different types of synthesis, 4 different filters, 5 synthesizer parts, 9 drum parts, 16 effects and allows you to write, compose, record and play back your own electronic music that you've composed and produced. And it doesn't cost $2,000 cause of hype. I don't give a shit that it's not "analog".
Bath House
Man, I'm in it for the long haul at this point - I'm too stubborn to give it up. OS 1.3 was released on the board yesterday, btw. Nothing exciting, maybe it'll fix the timing problems.

I'm super-duper sore about the way the entire thing has been handled by DSI and I won't buy another product from them ever again.

That said, I've made the best analog snare I've ever made in my entire life with the Tempest - it sounds like a 909 type but even more "real" while still obviously being a synthesized snare, which is what I want - so that keeps me coming back. Kicks are no issue with it for me; it's all about mixing multiple envelopes to really countour the different aspects of your sound - the initial attack, the thump, and the boom. But kicks are easy to make with pretty much any synth.
SubliminalSandwich
For me its much more of a live performance machine.. For complex complete tracks i want to sequence externally (Proper Midi cc please!) but when you home in on what its good at (live manipulation, Envelopes, Programming your own drum sounds) its got character and a vibe all of its own..

Its taken a while for it to find its place in my workflow, but there it will stay (I tend to hoard everything anyway if i can help it :( ) Im used to MPCs so getting funky on the pads is intuitive to me and the step sequencing is quick and creative (2 banks of beats, _not_ 2 banks of sounds would be 1st on my list of changes).

Hmmm.. good to know they'l come back to it from the Prophet 12, if the OS has similarities there is hope for us yet!
stimresp
Owned one for over a year and loved it initially. The sound engine is hard work - you really need to know your drum synthesis. The distinct lack of decent kits/presets after 18 months is probably a reflection of that.

I sold it when it became clear that the sequencer could never meet it's potential. It's surprisingly unsophisticated and there seems to be no ambition to improve it.

DSI's obfuscations and long silences also began to annoy me.

The cash has funded a much better sequencer (Midibox Seq4), a nascent modular, two new drum machines and a massive piss-up.
Mefistophelees
They released it early with missing features but they were open and honest about it. I think they expected it wouldn't take very long to get everything going but obviously that didn't happen.

They've never been anything other than open and honest about this. They've kept working on it and have provided a steady stream of betas (and more are planned).

Sound wise I think everyone was expecting another 808 but that's not what it is (though some people have got close). It's capable of a lot more than basic analogue drum sounds and some people have really learned how to push it. Apparently swept filter resonance (no oscillators!) does a very good kick.

Like the other DSI gear it's deeper than you might think. I've recently been getting some thick vintage type sounds out of my Prophet'08, exactly the sort of sounds it's not meant to be able to do.
Bath House
Mefistophelees wrote:
They released it early with missing features but they were open and honest about it. I think they expected it wouldn't take very long to get everything going but obviously that didn't happen.

They've never been anything other than open and honest about this. They've kept working on it and have provided a steady stream of betas (and more are planned).

That's the problem - they've been open about the fact that they have one poor dude doing all of the programming work. For the past year and a half. For, apparently, all of their products. Dude is overburdened and under-resourced and the end users are being punished.
GuyaGuy
Still have mine and really dig it. Funny that the criticisms that come up here contradict each other:

- The synth engine is both difficult to work with and rather simple.
- The sound is both the worst and best thing about it.
- The sequencer is both the worst and best thing about it.
etc.

It just shows that not every machine is for everyone. But people seem to take it more personally with the Tempest--perhaps because of the price tag. I will say, however, that they probably should have waited until the OS was complete before go-live. But as of the last update (before the one just released), I think it is complete and delivers everything that was promised.
Northbest
I would snatch one up in a heartbeat if they could sequence external gear, but as it is the prospect of having to buy both a sequencer and a drum machine and step away from one to the other is a bit of a letdown. Does anyone have any other suggestions for modern drum machines that aren't trying to be vintage ones?
RustyO
Northbest wrote:
Does anyone have any other suggestions for modern drum machines that aren't trying to be vintage ones?

Elektron Machinedrum?
Corbeau
RustyO wrote:
Northbest wrote:
Does anyone have any other suggestions for modern drum machines that aren't trying to be vintage ones?

Elektron Machinedrum?

Or the D-1000 Metasonix!
LeFreq
They just updated. Nothing amazing, but some good bug fixes and it's supposed to run much better. Gonna install asap.

http://davesmithinstruments.com/support/tempest_os.php
SubliminalSandwich
Ahh.. joy!... and im taking this away for the month.. just in time..

Quite impressed with the live playlist recording feature and a little more midi note implementation..

Thanks LeFreq, checked this the other day as i heard Mr Linn was showcasing the new tempest features or something but it hadnt been released yet.. i would have missed this..
LeFreq
No problem, I knew some people would be interested. I still have not gotten around to installing it, but I will in a bit probably.

I was also impressed by some of the featured adds. I had forgotten about the playlist one which is arguably the largest addition.

They seem to be making some bold claims on graphics and sequencer improvements. I'm intrigued, I hope it's something I can notice.
Northbest
So how stupid would it be to have both a tempest and an MPC? I know they're very different beasts, but I'm considering taking my TR-606 (which I've been planning on modding so I can control it via MIDI) and replacing it with a Tempest simply because I think it'd have more broad use for me, since the two things I really like doing are acid-y hip-hop type stuff and more psychedelic things, and it'd be nice to have the ability to have either some analogue drums being triggered by the MPC and/or the ability to have sequenced/pad triggered synth sounds. I don't know how well a tempest would fit into this though.

I only am saying this because I'm a few hundred miles away from my 606 and once I see it again I'll never be able to dream of selling it. :(
LeFreq
No offense, but it's a 606... you can very easily get one again. The Tempest will resell nicely, so buy used and you can undo it all if you don't like it.

I've mentioned my issues w/ Tempest in this thread already. Specifically, though, I think compared to a 606 you will miss the punch and clarity of the drums, yet you will be able to synthesize a whole lot more than what a 606 can do.. not to mention layer 606 like samples on top of Dave Smith-esque oscillators.

I would not say having an MPC and Tempest are anything related at all and shouldn't even be considered really. I think you realize that, though.

EDIT: Ok, maybe not *very* easily get one again, but they are often for sale and they're not that pricey, especially compared to everything else in that series or the Tempest.
Northbest
Actually, right after posting it I had another thought. Considering the built in polysynth, couldn't it just replace the Virus? I Mean, yeah, it's not going to sound like a virus, but you can basically set the Tempest up as a polysynth, can't you? Can it do big pads or any kind of arpeggio? Is this a dumb idea?
LeFreq
You can, but it's missing unison and stuff like that which really takes a poly to another level, the standard level really. People compare it to the Prophet, but it blows my mind because of that. You can detune the 2 oscs, but you're missing the stacking and an actual unison mode all that extra actual synth stuff. I, personally, have not gotten any really quality synth sounds out of it, but I've made some interesting leads and a LOT of synth percussion type stuff.

The Tempest is a drum machine that can make some decent synth sounds, just like any full synthesized drum machine (DRM-1 can make synth sounds), but they're all limited by their parameter set.

It did not replace my Virus. I rarely use my Virus, but it's there when I need it and the Tempest is definitely not gonna do what it does.. and vice versa.
LeFreq
And sorry, I meant to say, No. I have not made any pads or anything that I could get out of a real poly on it that compared. It doesn't have an arpeggiator, but you could use an external one on it, I suppose... that might actually be pretty decent because it's more focused on the rapid notes than on a huge stacked sound.
LeFreq
Oops, one more post... lol. Sorry for anyone receiving notifications, but I didn't want to edit in this case.

You should definitely play one and listen to some other advice as this is just my take on it... some people claim to be using it quite well as a synth. The modulation routings are all there so you can do mostly everything, you can probably even route some tiny LFO to tuning and get some unison and chorus-y vibes. But, for me, it's just missing the quality of the Prophet or another analog poly. It does sound similar as far as the oscs and filter, though.
SubliminalSandwich
Ive got a tempest and an MPC and im not altogether stupid all the time! smile they rub along nicely.. you certainly feel immediately at home..

They have completely different strengths, but work well together..

Playlist on tempest with mutes triggered from an mpc program sounds cool..

Give me midi cc control and keep fixing the bugs and im happy..

Im intrigued by its uses as a poly aswell.. its more fiddly to set up than a traditional keyboard but should work quite well.. Loads of envelopes, but a bit short of Lfos.. give it a different sound when you come to make patches though..
Northbest
Absolutely. I'm not in a position where I could just straight up buy a tempest right now, so if I were to look at it it would likely be replacing other gear, most likely my Wavestation A/D plus something else like the virus, which should at least get me ~800 back of the cost. The problem is I'd have to buy it blind having never played one before, also synthesizers with drum pitch control and I haven't historically gotten along so well, but that may have been due to a lack of patch memory razz

I wouldn't mind replacing the Virus if something else was pulling the same duty, I kind of hate programming the thing, but eh the patch demos I've heard of the Tempest doing non-Drum sounds haven't exactly blown me away.
LeFreq
SubliminalSandwich - Have you not tried much on the poly or are you with me that it just doesn't come out sounding right? I can't even put my finger on it aside from the lack of Unison/Stacking, but I just never feel like it's very convincing.

P.S. -I want your Spock AND your Dragon, but I'm broke right now. cry
LeFreq
You wouldn't be losing too much if you got rid of the Virus. Most new soft synths are pretty much on par now, IMO.

I'm just so bittersweet on the Tempest, but I feel like 1/2 the reason I keep it is because I spent so much on it. I just want it to be awesome... and it is, but it does just miss the mark some places and the synth side is one for me.

It does have patch memory, though! I actually find the menus a breeze (once you start to remember where everything is) and it is a whole lot of fun. If you've got the $, might as well. You can always sell it.
Northbest
I do realize that there's definitely softsynths that rival the Virus easily, though part of the point of hardware for me has been to be able to experiment away from the computer. The Virus has ended up on very little that I've done though, so that's a bit disappointing. I've got to admit, I like the Tempest a lot from what I've seen but it never has really felt "present" to me compared to other options, and I have a sneaking suspicion I'd end up using samples more than I care to admit.

I guess I'll keep ogling the Tempest and occasionally asking questions about it but never buying one, though if I suddenly came into a lot of money it'd probably be my first synth buy.
SubliminalSandwich
LeFreq wrote:
SubliminalSandwich - Have you not tried much on the poly or are you with me that it just doesn't come out sounding right? I can't even put my finger on it aside from the lack of Unison/Stacking, but I just never feel like it's very convincing.

P.S. -I want your Spock AND your Dragon, but I'm broke right now. cry

Ive got to admit, current projects haven't given me an opportunity to try it out as a poly synth much yet.. I guess some people find the DSI sound too 'polite'.. I think (synth wise) it doesnt grab you by the testicles and scream "Im fucking awesome" but when i get the sound in my track im always pleasantly suprised by how clear it comes accross, "job well done" i think to myself.. if you dont get on with the oscillator/filter, nothing is gonna make it good to you, but that aside, there are some interesting possibilities with the tempest as you could have 32 "variations" of one patch, slowly evolving, all in memory at once.. stuff like that.

Of course you want my Dragon! its a monster.. but women and moving and boring stuff like that means its got to go.. :( - Immediately sell your house, and head off to the BST forum! smile
Northbest
SubliminalSandwich wrote:
there are some interesting possibilities with the tempest as you could have 32 "variations" of one patch, slowly evolving, all in memory at once.. stuff like that.

I would love to hear even a rough sketch of this.
LeFreq
LOL. Women and moving and things are what's making me broke, so I feel ya.

You are right, there are lots of cool things about the Tempest that make it better than other synths. It's really just a trade off I think and that's why I would just suggest to anyone to wait until they can spend an hour with it.

I keep it around because it's so unique. I can never get a full beat out of it that is useable, but I do really enjoy taking one or two sounds from it because they are unique and they can sit nicely. It's something about the whole beat playing that makes it smear and just fall apart in the mix.
SubliminalSandwich
[quote="LeFreqI keep it around because it's so unique. I can never get a full beat out of it that is useable, but I do really enjoy taking one or two sounds from it because they are unique and they can sit nicely. It's something about the whole beat playing that makes it smear and just fall apart in the mix.[/quote]

I listened to the jomox 999 (is it the 999 the latest one?) and i thought "thats what i want to get out of my tempest today".. maybe it does lack a certain something, a lot of it is in the envelopes, get em right and the DSI does punch.. what it has got is flexibility that the jomox stuff doesnt have, and that suits my style.. If you have to process everything to get it to sound right, for the money, i would expect more I admit.

Re: poly - yeh it would be like having 32 patches in memory at once, all available simultaneously.. (obviously only 6 voices) gonna try this out when i take my Tempest and Octatrack on a little trip for a month as i'l have no other analogue synths with me..
SubliminalSandwich
BREAKING NEWS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Update all in and all looks fine.. Being able to record to the playlist is gonna be great.. and having mutes available from midi keys means effectively each beat is a 16/32 track sequence (4 bars long admittedly) where you can have different sequences of the same instrument stacked and have the beat evolve triggered from an external device..

The 16 beat limit looks less of a restriction if you dig in deeper into what the Tempest can do...

I'll be back in a month complaining that you cant send/receive midi cc, but for now.. It's peanut butter jelly time!
LeFreq
Yeah, I almost picked up a Jomox, but didn't because I can't really justify analog drums since I don't use them much for my music or my work... more so just for jamming and having fun. That's why I may sell the Tempest if I ever work up the nerve.

I'm glad to hear the update went alright. thumbs up

[I have a DRM-1 and a MFB-522 and they get used more than the Tempest]
SubliminalSandwich
Im know the jomox/DRM/MFB are gonna sound great.. but my thing is all about flexibile sound design.. they are gonna do their thing and sound awesome.. but I wouldn't find much of a use for them after id 'used up' their classic sounds.

I feel the tempest gives much more exploration room and you can come at it from a different direction with each project..

Since its my only analogue synth for a month, i'll be certainly pulling it to pieces and seeing what it an do..
Northbest
I got a Tempest what have I done?
LeFreq
HAHAHA
hyper w00t eek! nanners It's motherfucking bacon yo Rockin' Banana! we're not worthy screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! evil MY ASS IS BLEEDING This is fun! MY ASS IS BLEEDING This is fun! sad banana nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Dead Banana sad banana Dead Banana

EDIT:

Oh... and...

Drunken Homer Simpson Never maintain cash savings again not this shit again
LeFreq
Im know the jomox/DRM/MFB are gonna sound great.. but my thing is all about flexibile sound design.. they are gonna do their thing and sound awesome.. but I wouldn't find much of a use for them after id 'used up' their classic sounds.

I feel the tempest gives much more exploration room and you can come at it from a different direction with each project..

Since its my only analogue synth for a month, i'll be certainly pulling it to pieces and seeing what it an do..

I completely agree and that's why I have all of them! I almost bought an Xbase09 yesterday... they keep selling on ebay for $550-600! People on here are selling 'em for $800. I really want to try out an 888 or 999 still, but I just bought more Cwejman so... that's not happening for a bit.

I do loop/sample and preset packs as a part-time gig, so any gear is good for me to have because it gives me more content and inspiration. The Tempest is especially great for this (because of the sound design capabilities) and I plan to (eventually) use it a lot for some sound packs... The only issue is that it's a slow process to create something great, so I can't just knock out a pack like I normally would. I just need to start making a few sounds on it every day and eventually it will add up to some decent content. I have like 5-6 long term projects going in this method already, so I might as well add another!

Northbest - Let us know how you like it! For me it was one of those honey-moon period things where I really enjoyed it despite any dissapointments, then my mind cleared and I hated it, then I saw it's advantages, then I hated it's disadvantages, then finally I realized it's so unique that I must keep it around.
Northbest
Well, I think what I'm coming into it expecting is going to be a bit weird when it comes to my experience. I'm probably not going to rely to heavily on the internal sequencer, and instead I'll trigger it externally more. On top of that, I'm planning on really only using it for kick drums, I've got an MPC and I'll probably sample the other sounds I want (likely from real-world sources), and then use the rest of the oscillators on the Tempest as an actual synth. Or I'll use it as a drum machine/go insane and sell it. Who knows.

All I know right now is I'm in the middle of moving and don't have time to set this all up to play with like I'd like to.
LoFiFreq
I did some sound design for DSI on the Tempest its a blast to play with but in the long run i felt i needed to clear the desk space for other stuff wink

It is very good sounding and has great pad response.
mmp
I didn't find the time to learn its OS and decided I never would.
Traded it towards an Xpander.
Northbest
Sweet Jesus this thing sounds good and is easy to use (roughly). I need to get it all slaved up to the MPC and I'm good to go but holy shit I wasn't expecting to be this in love with it.
Slabwax
mmp wrote:
I didn't find the time to learn its OS and decided I never would.

That is how I thought. When I would spend a couple days focused on it I really liked it. But when I looked back on time in the case vs time on the table the case always won. So I sold it to help fund the Easel. Maybe down the road I'll pick one up again. Or I'll just lust after something new.
LeFreq
Yep, that's exactly the way most of us pro-Tempest peeps feel, I think. But, like others have said, once you realize how much time it actually takes to get something that is 100% useable and definitely impressive to others (not just the person who synthesized it), the excitement begins to wear off.
SubliminalSandwich
Northbest wrote:
Sweet Jesus this thing sounds good and is easy to use (roughly). I need to get it all slaved up to the MPC and I'm good to go but holy shit I wasn't expecting to be this in love with it.

Good stuff.. glad you like it..

set up a template program with the notes mapped so you can mute, trigger beats from your mpc..

The more you tweak it live the more it shines..

have a blast..
Northbest
I'm not just hoping to work mutes, I'm hoping for a mix of mutes and direct control, if I can manage that. I'd like to use the MPCs sequencer for drum sounds and the Tempest's for synth sounds.
newgreyarea
I think I need a new mixer. I feel that the Tempest would impress me a bit more if I was able to use the individual outs. I'm not a fan of the sound on the main outs.
Who's using it like this?
Bath House
newgreyarea wrote:
I think I need a new mixer. I feel that the Tempest would impress me a bit more if I was able to use the individual outs. I'm not a fan of the sound on the main outs.
Who's using it like this?

This is the only way I use it. There's something really smeary and just...bad-sounding about the internal mixing.
newgreyarea
What are you using. Smeary is exactly how I'd describe it. No definition.
LeFreq
Ah, finally, some people saying the same thing I've been saying this whole thread! Then it isn't just me... it really lacks definition and punch and completely disappears in a mix when you are using the main outs and playing a whole beat.
SubliminalSandwich
Ive been using the direct outs through my Moogerfoogers and external filter and it adds a whole new dimension to it.. It sort of spoils the voice stealing algorithms though.. you limit the number of sounds you can have going in a loop..

I find the compressor on the main outputs quite useful (if not essential) to making loops 'work'.
LeFreq
Ive been using the direct outs through my Moogerfoogers and external filter and it adds a whole new dimension to it.. It sort of spoils the voice stealing algorithms though.. you limit the number of sounds you can have going in a loop..

I find the compressor on the main outputs quite useful (if not essential) to making loops 'work'.

Awesome. I was just jamming w/ the Tempest and the modular and for the 1st time, the drums actually punched thru... all because I had the kick and snare going out voices 1 & 2 and then rest thru the main outs, then getting mixed in a mixer. If I was actually trying to record, I would have used all the outs going to ins on my interface, but I was just curious if it really is the mains smearing everything. That's what it is (what a shame!), mostly the kick and snare because they are the most prominent, often hit near or at the same time and the kick takes up all that space/freq range. I was finally able to get some booming bass out of it, too... and overdriving the kick into the mixer was also pleasing.

I'm in love with this thing again. I think I was usually turned off by it before I set up the outputs to record, so I would end up not using it... I would occasionally use the voice outs to send something to FX and the difference wasn't noticeable there. Now I will have it set up this way all the time for jamming ideas and when I like something, I'll set up ALL of the voice outputs to get a really great recording. I think this thing may actually make it into some tracks or some work soon!
newgreyarea
Yeah?

That's awesome Nate! Are you using insert cables on the outs or no? I think I remember reading that they are stereo out but you have to use an insert cable. Kinda weird. I dunno why I'd need a stereo kick but . . .

I have an old Fostex DCM-100 MIDI controllable mixer that I think I might dedicate to the Tempest. It has fx sends and I can control it from the iPad via Lemur. Might be able to do some cool shit there.

Wish the Sherman FB2 was stereo. Would be cool to run the Tempest though it.
GuyaGuy
newgreyarea wrote:
Yeah?

That's awesome Nate! Are you using insert cables on the outs or no? I think I remember reading that they are stereo out but you have to use an insert cable. Kinda weird. I dunno why I'd need a stereo kick but . . .

I have an old Fostex DCM-100 MIDI controllable mixer that I think I might dedicate to the Tempest. It has fx sends and I can control it from the iPad via Lemur. Might be able to do some cool shit there.

Wish the Sherman FB2 was stereo. Would be cool to run the Tempest though it.

The individual outs are stereo so you can make use of their panning settings.
newgreyarea
I guess I can just pan to one side and use a normal cable.
LeFreq
Just pull the cable out a little bit... works every time when you have a TS vs TRS conflict.
newgreyarea
Duh. I swear I forget more basic shit as I get older. Does fire still burn?
Northbest
newgreyarea wrote:

Nope, you should try it out. Dead Banana
LeFreq
newgreyarea wrote:

hihi

I actually didn't realize they were stereo, because the 2nd output worked fine w/ a TRS and the first wouldn't, so I thought the cable needed resoldering or something.

Btw, that Fostex sounds awesome... now I want one! They just came out w/ a stereo FB, but it's just two of them racked together. cry
SubliminalSandwich
LeFreq wrote:

Awesome. I was just jamming w/ the Tempest and the modular and for the 1st time, the drums actually punched thru... all because I had the kick and snare going out voices 1 & 2 and then rest thru the main outs, then getting mixed in a mixer. If I was actually trying to record, I would have used all the outs going to ins on my interface, but I was just curious if it really is the mains smearing everything. That's what it is (what a shame!), mostly the kick and snare because they are the most prominent, often hit near or at the same time and the kick takes up all that space/freq range. I was finally able to get some booming bass out of it, too... and overdriving the kick into the mixer was also pleasing.

I'm in love with this thing again. I think I was usually turned off by it before I set up the outputs to record, so I would end up not using it... I would occasionally use the voice outs to send something to FX and the difference wasn't noticeable there. Now I will have it set up this way all the time for jamming ideas and when I like something, I'll set up ALL of the voice outputs to get a really great recording. I think this thing may actually make it into some tracks or some work soon!

Great to hear some tempest positivity.. I love the versatile sound engine, if we can get it to really shine sonically, I think we are on to a winner..

Ive gone all natural and am playing all my sampled kits live over analogue leads.. my MPC training goes a long way to playing those pads with confidence.. theres a lot to be said for just playing the damn thing.. smile

Overdriving the outs through the mixer is a good idea... i'll definitely try that..
LeFreq
I agree, I do enjoy playing the Tempest, but there's something about it I don't like compared to a Maschine or MPC or other popular pads. Turning on the fixed velocity helps a lot, because part of it is the sensitive velocity (maybe I should look for a setting...) and the other is just the feel, I guess, can't quite put my finger on it (get it?). I'm still 50/50 on whether or not I like the horizontal arrangement, too...

But, yeah, it's sounding dope and that's what matters most. Damn, every time I come to this thread I have to start playing it. Later.

SlayerBadger!
desdinova
There's four or five velocity curves, I believe. The pads do seem pre "worn in" in the couple Tempests I've poked. I like the horizontal layout, you can use a splayed finger pattern rather than claws like I have to on the MPC.
LeFreq
desdinova wrote:
There's four or five velocity curves, I believe. The pads do seem pre "worn in" in the couple Tempests I've poked. I like the horizontal layout, you can use a splayed finger pattern rather than claws like I have to on the MPC.

Yeah, I gotta find that setting... The pads themselves just feel weird too, I guess you noticed that. There are pros/cons to the horizontal layout just like anything... the main con being that pretty much every thing else is a square, so it requires some re-training. If I get on a roll, I can play more efficiently, but it takes me a bit to get into that groove.
SunSpots
thinking about rebuying this, but will wait till I have my hands on PUSH.
Not sure if I want analog drum synthesis engine? I typically tweak the crap out of my drums anyways, so in the end...

still been fantasizing about a tempest again last week. It has a good workflow and it's fun to make sounds and beats on. That is def. true. Wish I had extra money to blow wink
langley
Well I just went and bought a Tempest. Arrives tomorrow. I have yet to find "the" machine for me so fingers crossed......
SubliminalSandwich
langley wrote:
Well I just went and bought a Tempest. Arrives tomorrow. I have yet to find "the" machine for me so fingers crossed......

Nice one Langley.. enjoy.. smile

Ive been using the Tempest as my sole drum/analogue synth as im away from the studio and its a versatile little beast..

It begs to be played, so get your beats down and then get on the FX touch controllers and beat wide controls and your in for a treat.
langley
Thanks. Amazing how opinions are polarized on this thing. I personally dont want sampling, external sequencing, effects and so on. Just flexible, analog sounds with a few sampleson board and ease of use.
dan_p
^ then I think your going to love it.

I have made what I think are some of the best drum sounds I have heard using Tempest. I think a few have said that it gets a bit "smeary" when using the stereo outs, whilst I would agree with this in some respects it is generally only when you have a ton of voices going.

I think if you keep it simple and only use a few voices it does sound fantastic, I only use it with stereo outs and I am happy with the sounds.
I tend to keep it simple, it tends to do drums and percussive sounds and I rarely have more than 4 things going. It works very well if you set it up with 6 voices fixed and treat it as six individual sounds. The range of sounds available from a simple kick snare hat pattern when using the sliders and beatwide effects are awesome. It also has an amazing workflow when you get into it.

Have fun with it and if you have any questions just holla (not that I'm a guru, just that I have had one from the start.)
langley
you were right - I love it. pretty much a perfect product as far as i am concerned. never got on with the mpc. this feels natural.
SubliminalSandwich
Well I spent a month away with the tempest as my only analogue synth, and I can say I wasn't at all disappointed.. With no midi cc control I really got into the hands on performance as a poly synth.. the direct control offered something new, there seemed so much on offer from the LPF, HPF, Audio Mod, Distrotion and Feedback Controls to articulate the sound.. I connected with the instrument in a very direct way, changing it from a beat box, into a instrument.

Played a lot of live drums too, forget sequencing! I got my own unique swings and groove happening and putting down takes into my Octatrack was painless and fruitful. Of course I had to use the stereo outs, but when I heard the recordings id made, they actually sounded a lot more punchy and solid than what I heard when I played them.. Have yet to mix the thing but the beats came out nice and full for me.. smile

Using my Moogerfooger delay with the tempest as a synth really gave it "a sound" and I cant wait to use the individual outs with my other MF pedals.

Concentrating on it for a month has let me explore it in more depth (I had no other option!) I certainly see it in a new light... its a synth folks! not just a drum machine! abuse the plentiful envelope routings and it gives it a unique character that you wouldn't normally achieve with a "traditional" synth..

(right, time to finish the damn track!)
GuyaGuy
dan_p wrote:
I think a few have said that it gets a bit "smeary" when using the stereo outs, whilst I would agree with this in some respects it is generally only when you have a ton of voices going.

I think if you keep it simple and only use a few voices it does sound fantastic, I only use it with stereo outs and I am happy with the sounds.
I tend to keep it simple, it tends to do drums and percussive sounds and I rarely have more than 4 things going.

YES. OH DEAR LORD YES.

For those looking for traditional analog drum machine sounds, you have to keep in mind that the Tempest goes way above and way beyond what 808s and all those faves can do in terms of functionality. So to reproduce those sounds you have to program the limitations, as it were. Like dan_p says, limit the number of parts. But also program the choke strategically. Additionally, a lot of the old school drum machines had decays on the short side. Keeping your sounds short and snappy help a LOT in creating sounds that are punchy and clear in the mix. That's not to say you can't have a clear bass that resonates an entire bar, but your drums will end up washy if the decay on all of the parts are that long, whether on the Tempest or any other device.
GuyaGuy
Well I spent a month away with the tempest as my only analogue synth, and I can say I wasn't at all disappointed.. With no midi cc control I really got into the hands on performance as a poly synth.. the direct control offered something new, there seemed so much on offer from the LPF, HPF, Audio Mod, Distrotion and Feedback Controls to articulate the sound.. I connected with the instrument in a very direct way, changing it from a beat box, into a instrument.

Played a lot of live drums too, forget sequencing! I got my own unique swings and groove happening and putting down takes into my Octatrack was painless and fruitful. Of course I had to use the stereo outs, but when I heard the recordings id made, they actually sounded a lot more punchy and solid than what I heard when I played them.. Have yet to mix the thing but the beats came out nice and full for me.. smile

Using my Moogerfooger delay with the tempest as a synth really gave it "a sound" and I cant wait to use the individual outs with my other MF pedals.

Concentrating on it for a month has let me explore it in more depth (I had no other option!) I certainly see it in a new light... its a synth folks! not just a drum machine! abuse the plentiful envelope routings and it gives it a unique character that you wouldn't normally achieve with a "traditional" synth..

Fully agreed. I still wish the UI were a bit different but overall it's an awesome drum machine, drum synth, AND poly synth. It does, however, require some smart programing, like you say, and you have to just go with its flow rather than trying to make it work like an Elektron or an MPC or whatever else. But if you do get into its mind, so to speak, it does its own thing very well.
LeFreq
dan_p wrote:
^ then I think your going to love it.

I have made what I think are some of the best drum sounds I have heard using Tempest. I think a few have said that it gets a bit "smeary" when using the stereo outs, whilst I would agree with this in some respects it is generally only when you have a ton of voices going.

I tend to keep it simple, it tends to do drums and percussive sounds and I rarely have more than 4 things going. It works very well if you set it up with 6 voices fixed and treat it as six individual sounds. The range of sounds available from a simple kick snare hat pattern when using the sliders and beatwide effects are awesome. It also has an amazing workflow when you get into it.

I agree to some extent, but I think you're missing the point that everyone's opinion of "quality" and "smeary" differs greatly on this forum. Some are hobbyist, some professional, some between, and all different levels of those in different areas/genres that respect different aspects of electronic music. So, obviously, the bar is in different place for everyone depending on what they're trying to achieve.

I find the Stereo Outs unacceptable with any more than 2 voices, even if they are not triggering at the same time at all. I usually use those outputs for the "tops", as in cymbals or hats, because I think those sound pretty bad on this machine no matter what, but I've never really liked analog synth cymbals/hats that much now that I think about it.

EDIT: And a kick always sounds better out of the individuals... I also think the Stereo Outs sound better with just tops and a snare coming out... so I think there's something up with the bass response. I may have said that in this thread before... or it was another one.
LeFreq

Totally... This is really the only reason it's still around.. it's just so unique. I love playing a plucky synth sound with the Chinese or other "exotic" scale on and sending it through the Space Echo or another good delay. I can do that for hours.

Rockin' Banana!
langley
you can produce professional (not hobbyist whatever that means) quality music on toys. we can all ciite many examples i am sure. Casio vl1 on Dare. 50p guitar amp on peter gabriel 4. stylophone on pocket calculator. home made guitar on every queen song. dr55 used by new order. beegees rhythm machine used by kraftwerk/the residents. sm58 used by bono (in the control room). triangle. penny whistle. comb and paper. smeary output? shmeary output. tempest is far from a toy.

my opinion.
GuyaGuy
Smeary is also the exact effect that many people go for in analog recording. Ninja
MegaHercZ
The tempest is one sweet Drum Percussion machine!
As complicated as people make it seem, it's very easy to use both as a simple drum to record and quick layout / live tool. There are only few drum machines ever made that sound as powerful as this beast not to mention the tweak-ability of it! If you took an 808 and a machine drum and rolled them into one you might get close, but then you'll still be missing half of what the tempest has to offer.

And if you need to sequence something, use a dedicated sequencer like the octatrack or Ableton!
Bath House
No need to white knight the Tempest to death and pretend it doesn't have major issues; I own one of the first ones and I still love it, but it has a host of problems including incredibly weird main outs...what you call "smeary" I call "inappropriate phase cancellation, major lack of headroom, and bizarre summing." And the step sequencer is basically unfinished and forgotten, an utter nightmare to use compared to something like an Elektron box. Most of the instability is gone as of OS 1.3, but that doesn't change the unfinished parts of the machine, and the just-plain-bizarre "features" like how you can't just record knob tweaks into a pattern without first assigning parameters to the faders and stuff like that.

That said, I've made the single best analog snare I've ever created on it, like a 909 snare but more complex, and I use it a ton.
newgreyarea
Bath House wrote:
No need to white knight the Tempest to death and pretend it doesn't have major issues; I own one of the first ones and I still love it, but it has a host of problems including incredibly weird main outs...what you call "smeary" I call "inappropriate phase cancellation, major lack of headroom, and bizarre summing." And the step sequencer is basically unfinished and forgotten, an utter nightmare to use compared to something like an Elektron box. Most of the instability is gone as of OS 1.3, but that doesn't change the unfinished parts of the machine, and the just-plain-bizarre "features" like how you can't just record knob tweaks into a pattern without first assigning parameters to the faders and stuff like that.

That said, I've made the single best analog snare I've ever created on it, like a 909 snare but more complex, and I use it a ton.

+1!! Thanks for this! I feel that every time I have a gripe with a pricey piece of gear people get so upset. Like they built it!! They don't realize that these are just companies. They want your money. That's it. We are allowed to make legitimate gripes and hold them accountable.
I wonder if there is an upgrade that cant be done to the summing mixer?

I've made my favorite kick ever on this little beast. It was on the chopping block again but I decided to sit down with it and spend some extra time. So glad I did.
I agree on the sequencer front. I don't find it fun to use.
SubliminalSandwich
I know I am one of the pro tempest users but of course it does have its flaws..

For me that's the OS.. sure, DSI were upfront about saying how finished it was.. but no cc control?? come on..

I try to not ask it to be something its not, or what id like it to be.. but instead see what the design has to offer.. versatility in sound programming and some innovative and creative methods of performance.. if you use the sequencer within its own capabilities and limitations, there is much to be explored (love quantised beat swapping at the moment), but I do reach for an external sequencer more than I should have to.

Im using the individual outs on a track right now and I hear the difference.. but I will continue to use the stereo outputs when appropriate to the track (perhaps with some careful processing).

As long as DSI don't dump the tempest completely and move on to other projects I will be satisfied.. regardless, the tempest is staying put..
Bath House
That's one of the things that frustrates me the most about it - I'm not asking for it to be something that it's not, but rather for it to be what it is - and what it's specifically offering and trying to be - without bizarre ways of achieving those goals. For example, the current step sequencer behavior is completely inconsistent with every other aspect of the machine. It only uses the pads for note on/off input; all other programming of the step behavior has to be done using two soft encoders next to the display, "etch-a-sketch" style. Even though you can do a lot of cool stuff on a per-step basis - change 8 parameters per step, similar to Elektron's parameter locks - you can only do this by using the two soft encoders instead of using any of the pads and any of the other knobs or sliders on the machine. It's not just that this is dumb - though yeah, it's dumb - but it's inconsistent with the rest of the machine's design, where every other mode is built around using the pads and knobs in conjunction. It's a workflow killer, but most importantly, it's just clearly not finished and is a placeholder for that mode.
SubliminalSandwich
Bath House wrote:
For example, the current step sequencer behavior is completely inconsistent with every other aspect of the machine. It only uses the pads for note on/off input; all other programming of the step behavior has to be done using two soft encoders next to the display, "etch-a-sketch" style. Even though you can do a lot of cool stuff on a per-step basis - change 8 parameters per step, similar to Elektron's parameter locks - you can only do this by using the two soft encoders instead of using any of the pads and any of the other knobs or sliders on the machine. It's not just that this is dumb - though yeah, it's dumb - but it's inconsistent with the rest of the machine's design, where every other mode is built around using the pads and knobs in conjunction. It's a workflow killer, but most importantly, it's just clearly not finished and is a placeholder for that mode.

Ive just been testing this out and it _does_ record FX slider information to the beat (at least from sound mode)..

If your recording a whole kit at once this is problematic as each sound can have its own FX assignments, but for overdubbing each instrument.. it works fine.. etch-a-sketch to fine tune the beat, FX sliders to record parameters during performance.. hmmm, I don't think pad pressure was in the parameter list.. :( that would have been useful..

You got me wondering, so I had to give it a go..
langley
One thing that did surprise me was the lm-1 snare sample which wasnt the one I had expected. But this is irrelevant in the face of the possibilities offered. It is just so quick to dial in the right sound using samples or the synth engine (or both). Just like my monomachine, i can get the sound in my head into my track within moments. True, my requirements are pretty simple and I like to use a machine with its own character/flaws/limitations (same thing) but I can't see much wrong with this machine. The etch-a-sketch was no way as advanced as a Mac but the end result had character and intrinsic value. Analogue sequencer/cubase. Tb303/mc303. Water/coke. Interesting discussions here, thanks.
Northbest
Everyone complaining about sequencing, sampling, etc.

Just plug it into an MPC and assign the MPC's pads as you'd like, and call it a day. Seriously, the thing is a powerhouse when paired with an MPC, especially if you use the MPC's sampling ability to open up more voices for synthesizer sounds.
SunSpots
I wanted to update this thread and say I got a tempest again and this time I'm mature enough with sound design to really appreciate what is available to me here. 4 bars is lame but usually okay for sketching. I honestly just want the tempest more as a sketch box and a sound creation device. Sequencing has been very rewarding from live 9 where I can have length as long as I want and make variation after variation very easily.

If I was not getting deep into making my own wonderful sounds, then perhaps I could see this box as being shallow or frustrating. for me it's all about the immediacy of sketching out a beat real quick and mostly designing my own analog sounds. Very fun, very rewarding.
Gribs
I traded my MD + $200 to Rico Loverde for his and am happy with the deal. Some folks might think I crazy. I loved the MD for quite a while, but it just wasn't doing it for me. I received my Cirklon 8 days ago. 6 Combo voices of synth drums and 6 stereo outs (the outs are TRS stereo) are mighty fine smile
newgreyarea
Traded my Tempest for Machinedrum MKII UW +Drive magic whatever and some $300. My flow is a lot faster. TRied to get along with the Tempest and just couldn't.
SunSpots
Gribs wrote:
I traded my MD + $200 to Rico Loverde for his and am happy with the deal. Some folks might think I crazy. I loved the MD for quite a while, but it just wasn't doing it for me. I received my Cirklon 8 days ago. 6 Combo voices of synth drums and 6 stereo outs (the outs are TRS stereo) are mighty fine smile

I think that's an upgrade. I had a mduw mk2 and octatrack. While they are neat... I find the depth of synthesis allowed on the tempest is the biggest appeal to me. If it was JUST the sound engine I would be happy sequencing those sounds with external gear. Md just didn't click with me. I felt like I was making the MD sounds and not MY sounds.
Gribs
SunSpots wrote:
Gribs wrote:

I think that's an upgrade. I had a mduw mk2 and octatrack. While they are neat... I find the depth of synthesis allowed on the tempest is the biggest appeal to me. If it was JUST the sound engine I would be happy sequencing those sounds with external gear. Md just didn't click with me. I felt like I was making the MD sounds and not MY sounds.

I agree. In the end though, it is all up to personal preference and what works for a person. The creation process is just very different for the MD versus the Tempest. Even though I am very familiar with the Evolver architecture, I am still learning the Tempest. I have been going through factory patches to see what they do. Some of the modulations are subtle, at least to me, until I tweak them in a way that makes the sound go all different from the patch and I get the idea. For some of PYM's traditional analog drum machine style patches, I just think "hmm, I can't really think of a way to do it any better so I will just use it." smile
tron23
i am not really the do it all in one box type, i got the tempest for drums and no matter how much effort i put into it, the drum sounds coming out could not fit my style, sold the tempest, kept the poly evolver rack though ...4 stunning new era smith voices in 1u smile
Rade
Did someone try using lfo's from modulars into Tempest pedal / cv inputs ?
SubliminalSandwich
Rade wrote:
Did someone try using lfo's from modulars into Tempest pedal / cv inputs ?

I know you can use cv into the prophet expression pedal input.. I haven't tried it with the tempest.. would be good to have additional controls as the modulation paths on offer are much greater than the beat wide parameter set.
toddADSR
Had #50 off the assembly line and returned it pretty soon after. Just wasn't into it in the incomplete state it was at the time. Considering getting another sometime.
pxlsndworlock
I'm glad this guy kept his tempest.

SunSpots
pxlsndworlock wrote:
I'm glad this guy kept his tempest.

Sounds absolutely stellar. What a well thought out piece. Lots of time went into that for sure.
SunSpots
by the way, I wanted to rehash this thread. I got a tempest again, after selling the first one.

Now after using it for a couple of months I'm extremely happy with it. I can make my kicks and sounds as deep/phat/bangin/whatever as I want. I can indiv. out the voices and process them in the comp. It's all good. I have a Trigger IO controlling it from the modular, so I am not really doing sequencing in the tempest (at this time).

I think, if you like designing your own sounds, you like pads, and don't mind a little fussing to get things right, then the tempest could be a good grab at $1300-$1400 used. Don't pay retail.
Northbest
Resurrecting this thread to ask a dumb question: I recently made an international move and my Tempest's wall wart got shoved in a box with a dozen other ones. Could anyone take a picture of the standard power cable that comes with the Tempest so I can avoid plugging in the wrong one?
SubliminalSandwich
Havent got a camera on me but the info on the plug is:

Input: 100-240V 50-60Hz 0.8A
Output: 15V 1.7A
SubliminalSandwich
By the way,

Anyone using the new beta OS with 8 bars? How are you finding it?

Does it load the old 4 bar sequences?
I have stuff im working on and wont switch till im done if there are problems..

cheers.
M6live
Redacted.
Collinrudolph
Hey, Does anybody know how to check which tempest OS you have?
flts
Collinrudolph wrote:
Hey, Does anybody know how to check which tempest OS you have?

DSI Tempest -> support http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/support/tempest.php

Current Operating Systems
To display the installed operating system versions, press System, select "Show System Information" from the list of options, and press the Next soft key.
The current versions are:
Main: v.1.3.0.6
Voice: v.1.2
Panel: v.1.3
Sam: v.1.1
Updates are available to download on the Tempest Operating Systems page.
Collinrudolph
Thanks!

Yeah you're right, should have gone to the manual. My bad very frustrating
Kazremark
I had a tempest and sold it. I also owned a poly-evolver and found owning both to be redundant enough that I didn't need them both. I was also really looking for more of a drum machine, less of a drum oriented synthesizer. Tempest has too many options, and can't load samples. If the voice had been a bit faster to work with, and I could have loaded samples... I probably would have kept it. Instead I'm waiting for the Analog Rytm, which seems like it will hopefully improve upon these complaints.
Jeffcon0
I've been close to selling my Tempest multiple times, including a possible trade with a fellow Wiggler very recently. I decided I'd spend a week on nothing but the Tempest before bagging it and I'm finally connecting with it. I don't think it will ever be the fastest work flow in the world and I'm tempted by the TR-8 for when I want to whip up some stock drum sounds but with some time and thought the Tempest really offers great possibilities.

Sure, it would be great if it had sampling abilities but I came into it knowing it didn't so I can live with that.
ablearcher
I sent it back after two months. this was just over a year ago now, I don't know if it's more fully featured, but it was too much money to have invested in a buggy not quite mature thing. It sounded neat, but it didn't play very well with others and it was a pain to record the songs I wrote in it because of the voice sharing stuff.
deltaphoenix
I got rid of mine, again, again lol

I do love it but the midi issues kill it for me.

ablearcher, it is definitely more fully featured that it was a year ago.

I am happy with the other stuff that I am using now.
Jeffcon0
I'm curious, those of you who sold your Tempests, what did you replace them with for drum duties?
deltaphoenix
I am using a combination of things. I have an NI Maschine so I can get my pad banging on. I put loops of it into my Octatrack. I also have a SWEET cheapie drum machine that is really cool to layer with into the Octatrack.

I also have a modular which makes some serious percussion sounds, that goes nicely into the Octatrack as well.

I also have an Analog Four.
Tcheck
Jeffcon0 wrote:
I'm curious, those of you who sold your Tempests, what did you replace them with for drum duties?

I replaced mine with a Jomox 888 - it does "meat n potatoes" analogue drum sounds very nicely and once you get used to its quirks is a lovely sounding and very flexible machine.
Have to say I'm tempted by the new Elektron analogue drum box tho... And the tr-8 looks cool too. Will have to hear both of them live and up close to make some judgements
SubliminalSandwich
I've come to like my tempest.

Sure it takes a bit of programming.. but it can sound really individual.. and I like that..

The midi problems have hassled me when I want to use it certain ways but ive found new uses for it as a live performance device and a hands on analogue synth.. sometimes its difficult to integrate with other equipment, and its taken time to find its place. But there its lots to learn and get out of it..

I have plenty of sample options elsewhere so its not a _must have_ for me.
Kazremark
I replaced mine with a Jomox Airbase, and already have an Octatrack. Probably going to get the new Elektron Rytm and might sell the Airbase if they are close enough sonically. The Airbase is pure raw power!
fxiol4
From day one I did not like the sound- lacked balls, specialy the bd.
Was stuned by the sequencer and waited too long for an update to enable external sequencing. Great pads, verry sensitive.
Needed casch for a RMX-16 so it had to go..
fewture
Sound was always the disappointment for me. I tried desperately hard to love this machine, including spending all my studio time for months creating kits trying to find the sweet spot. I eventually accepted the sound was the weak point and I personally had been in denial for a long time. Jamming was great fun but actual productive stuff with analogue sounds I would want to use was minimal.

As soon as I got rid of it I felt so much better. Didn't have to waste my time with it anymore and became so much more productive.

IMO I don't like, no matter who, demos/clips/videos of the Tempest and for me it boils down to it's weak drum and synth sounds, no matter who is programming it. It always pales against a strong poly synth or drum machine. There is also a reason why there is no demand for Tempest samples.

This is all IMO but I am not alone on this smile
stimresp
No problems with the sound here, but the sequencer needed a lot of work and it simply took too long. I see some improvements have eventually been made, but not nearly enough to raise my eyebrow.

I replaced it with a MIDIbox Seq4 and a Yamaha RM50 and, recently a Monomachine. Nice, focused and fun setup, but with lots of room for experimentation.

MIDIbox sequencer is fantastic and lends itself easily to more exotic (poly)rhythms and experimental beats. With Tempest I always felt a little too restricted, and would need to sequence externally, which, for me, defeats the whole point.

Also, the inability to record knob-tweaks a la electribes was a tragic oversight IMO.
Jeffcon0
stimresp wrote:

Also, the inability to record knob-tweaks a la electribes was a tragic oversight IMO.

I agree with this. If there is one thing that is a fatal flaw, this is it, IMO. I know you can assign params to the ribbon strips and record those real time but the Tempest requires enough programming attention as it is. It REALLY needs the ability to record knob tweaks and have param locks. Add those and I'm 100% happy.

The sequencer, pads, etc are really great and if DSI would just commit to a final push to "complete" the Tempest it would be the best drum machine in the game.

I have no problems with the sounds now that I've devoted my time to it. I think I've finally gotten decent at drum programming and when I don't feel like fiddling around forever I can pair up a couple samples on OSC3 and 4 and get some mighty find sounds. I don't care if analog or digital.

I will say that despite my recent warming up to the Tempest I will *NEVER* buy another DSI product. He definitely overpromises and under delivers and then is dead silent about things that should have been implemented day 1 on a $2000 machine. He could learn a thing or two from Elektron.
SubliminalSandwich
Just installed the beta OS after waiting to finish projects.

Pretty pumped up about it actually

Sequencer is greatly improved with the 8bars,unquantized recording, and especially now you can sequence other gear! Guinness ftw!

Lots of other extras including some ROLL FX slider stuff which looks pretty interesting. along with beat-wide parameters sending midi ccs

Another reason I gel with the tempest is the amount of different stuff you can program to velocity - I use it with my PD8 drum kit for certain things - I don't see any other drum machines that offer that level of expression when played live.
fewture
Regarding sound, if it was a really a great sounding analogue drum machine, Tempest samples would be in demand.

I think the digital noise source for the basis of a lot of the drum sounds has a lot to do with it
Jeffcon0
Just installed the beta OS after waiting to finish projects.

Pretty pumped up about it actually

Sequencer is greatly improved with the 8bars,unquantized recording, and especially now you can sequence other gear! Guinness ftw!

Lots of other extras including some ROLL FX slider stuff which looks pretty interesting. along with beat-wide parameters sending midi ccs

Another reason I gel with the tempest is the amount of different stuff you can program to velocity - I use it with my PD8 drum kit for certain things - I don't see any other drum machines that offer that level of expression when played live.

Oh man! Just read through the list of updates in the beta OS. This is some pretty big deal stuff for us Tempest owners. Can't wait to get home tonight and install this. The Tempest is getting closer and closer to be supremely badass.

As for the sound, I guess its all subjective. If many are to be believed then between the A4 and the Tempest I have two pretty awful sounding synths. Weird. I think you get out of them what you put in. The Tempest requires a lot of time to design sounds from scratch. Admittedly sometimes I just want to twist a pitch, attack, decay and get on with it. But the depth of modulation capabilities, much like the A4, is what makes these synths.
rutabaga40
I -may- have one of these bad-boys showing up today, thanks to you guys. So, thanks. I think. hmmm..... Band
xparis001
how well does it sequence other gear? Is it like an MPC or more like a machinedrum / xbase?
rutabaga40
my understanding is that it is primarily a self-contained affair...not for programming other devices.

...of course, i'll know for sure later tonight Mr. Green
xparis001
I was mostly askin SubliminalSandwich, who mentioned it's other sequencing capabilities. probably should have quoted him... seriously, i just don't get it
deltaphoenix
Well rutabaga is still right. It can sequence one other piece of gear monophonically. It's Midi implementation is not good.
It is fun though.
rutabaga40
Well, either way...after one day with this puppy, I'm in LURV. love

I think it sounds fantastic, and I really gel with the architecture...maybe because I've had a Prophet 12 for a while.

Not sure how the workflow is gonna go, but I'm sure it's going to be an essential bit of kit for me.
SubliminalSandwich
Hi Rutabaga,

Id say Step sequencing is easier than on the MPC.. because you have the steps as coloured pads as an option.. Grid edit on the 5000 comes close.. but its still screen based.

MPC is much more powerful overall, but the tempest has a different feel in use because of its streamlined system.

External gear.. one track.. but remember with the beat system you can chop between beats any time you like.. so like i could have my taurus running as a bass part, sequenced with the drums.. then my octatrack syncd, but playing different patterns.

I like the tempest sound too.. flexible.. still havent got bored of the sample set..

For me the tempest shows its quality in the live manipulation of your sequences.. enjoy rutabaga.. there's plenty to get your teeth into.. thumbs up
kisielk
After some problems with my used tempest that were fixed by DSI, I am loving this machine.

The one thing I miss is an easy way to sync it with my modular. I'm thinking of just buying a Kenton Pro Solo for the purpose but I wish there was some way built in to the tempest so I didn't need another box confused

Also I swapped the knobs for the Prophet knob kit available from DSI, looks and handles much better smile

Vootman
I love the Tempest. I think it sounds thicker, and more organic than the AR. The AR sounds really good, but a little tame...a little to slick 8_) . Anyway I'm not a "DJ" or anything like that or a live player. I make all my stuff in a studio and I NEVER just one drum machine...I give my beats what I call the Skinny Puppy/ Frontline Assembly treatment, and layer two or three sounds over a kick for example. I use a Jomox 99 pretty much always with the Tempest. I'll running it through a Vintage Korg MS-20, or an Evolver keys...that's sounds killer SlayerBadger! . The Tempest is definetly a programmers box...if you dig in, you'll get rewarded... MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Jdavidk
I love mine. It's the last piece of gear I would consider getting rid of.
kisielk
Yeah layering sounds is great. It's pretty easy to use all 4 oscillators to get interesting kicks etc. Especially blending a couple of analog oscs. with some clicks or noise.

How are people syncing their modular to the tempest?
LeFreq
Still loving mine. Just got the RYTM, too. Worlds apart. The Tempest is much more of a synth and much more fun to design sounds on.

I love that punchy, warm, fat thing that the Tempest has going on. I get a lot of use out of it for my work, too.

I WISH the RYTM (and every other piece of gear with pads - like Maschine) would include the scale modes like the Tempest.

As far as sync - I don't. I sync both to my DAW. I use an Innerclock Systems Sync Lock for MIDI gear and Expert Sleepers/Silent Way for the modular. You could probably give up a voice in the Tempest, make a transient sound, send it out of an external output and throw it right into your modular as a clock. If the voltages aren't right, a comparator should do the trick. thumbs up
SubliminalSandwich
kisielk wrote:
After some problems with my used tempest that were fixed by DSI, I am loving this machine.

The one thing I miss is an easy way to sync it with my modular. I'm thinking of just buying a Kenton Pro Solo for the purpose but I wish there was some way built in to the tempest so I didn't need another box confused

Also I swapped the knobs for the Prophet knob kit available from DSI, looks and handles much better smile

Are the p12 knobs solid? My old p08 ones are quite plasticy.. do they still click through values like the original knobs?

There must be a MIDI module that's cheaper than the kenton if you just want clocking.. would hate to use a voice up sending a trigger..
ActionMaxVA
Still got it, no plans to sell it!
aerror
kisielk wrote:
Yeah layering sounds is great. It's pretty easy to use all 4 oscillators to get interesting kicks etc. Especially blending a couple of analog oscs. with some clicks or noise.

How are people syncing their modular to the tempest?

i think my tempest would be the last gear i would get rid off if i had to.

to your question @kisielk: i either use a doepfer dark time as main clock for my modular or i just trigger from my lxr. in both cases i can connect the tempest via midi.. but i still want a midi-cv interface for my eurorack anyway.. just waiting for the multiple instruments yarns to be availlable again

ps: i really like your knobs on the tempest

psps: thinking of it there are 2 other (cheap) possibilities to sync tempest and your modular:
1. tempest -> computer -> midipal -> modular
2. tempest -> midialf with cv expansion -> modular
kisielk
@SubliminalSandwich: Not sure what knobs were on the old Prophet, these are the same ones that are on the Prophet 12 and the shop calls them the "Prophet 12 Knobs". They're on the current Prophet 08 PE as well, but I don't know if they were on the old ones. They're a plastic knob with a rubberized grip. I much prefer them to the tiny knobs that come with the Tempest, which are the same ones as Make Noise uses.

The knob kit doesn't change anything about the encoders or potentiometers, they still work the same, but I find due to the increased diameter of the knobs it's a bit easier to be precise.

@aerror Dark Time looks great, unfortunately it's quite expensive and I'm full up on Euro sequencers for now. I could use my CVPal, but I really don't want to have a computer in the loop. I work as a software developer and the last thing I want when making music is to have a computer as part of the chain, it just feels really anti-creative.

The midialf actually looks awesome smile I love electronics projects so I might just go that route. My other thought was to get a used Volca Beats and add the MIDI out expansion, and use it to clock both the tempest and the modular, but then I'd lose the ability to use per-beat tempos in the Tempest.
aerror
i see. me neither want to have the computer in the loop so the cv-pal just sits unused in my rack and takes up space seriously, i just don't get it
i bought the dark time long time before i started with eurorack just because i wanted to start softly with a semimodular setup and i needed some seq.
in your case it seems like midialf would be the best and cheapest solution.
kisielk
Total tangent, by my CVPal has been super useful for playing around with things from an iPad. However I don't want to use the iPad in a performance, it's too unreliable, battery life, etc, compared to a real instrument. Ditto for computers smile

I've seen so use Pro Solo Mk II's floating around for a good price so I'm going to try to pick up one of those.
aerror
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/atomosynth-koneko may be another cheap alternative
kisielk
Yeah, the catch is that I have multiple modular cases with different setups, and I don't want to put a MIDI module in each one, so I'd rather go with an external box. Otherwise I'd use a Doepfer A190-8: http://www.doepfer.de/a1908.htm, although I'd still need a midi splitter to route the signal to other devices since there's no Thru.
sealion
2 more payments to go. Kept, but man the OS updates are soooo slow between and so-so compared to my op-1

Sequencing sucks, I reach for the 808 and 909 far more often, but as a live jammer its great and the tone is excellent, The lackl of basic efxs is odd.

#1 want better fast sequencing like an 808 or my xoxio
oh, and a blank slate mode.

No I'm not selling but I expected better os support at 2K. My $800 op-1 is incredible on that score.
aerror
kisielk i see what your problem here is but if you ever need a cheapo midi splitter, i just built some http://www.futuredraht.de/?p=1333 ..no beauties but they do their jobs hihi
kisielk
I'm running the beta OS which is a fair bit improved, but the improvements have definitely been slow in coming. Apparently now that the Pro-2 is launched and the Prophet-12 is in good shape, Pym is going back to working on the Tempest nearly full time so maybe there will be some improvements. I already submitted some feedback to DSI regarding the latest beta... we'll see how it goes.

I actually love the sequencer, both the timestep mode and the events view. Also the record undo makes it really easy to live record sequences one pad at a time and keep trying till I get it right. If I'm close enough I just jump in to events view and tweak it a little. Also for doing hi-hat sequences and the like I turn on rolls and just play with holding the button and using pressure to modulate the sound. It works extremely well and I much prefer it over the fairly mechanical X0X style sequencers.

Time step mode is pretty close to X0X-style if that's what you want, with the added benefit of being velocity-sensitive as well. You can also change the grid resolution with the quantize setting to make some things easier to program.

One thing which is annoying me right now is being able to tweak sounds on a song-wide basis. The flexibility of being able to have different sounds in different beats is great, you can do some really cool arrangements, but sometimes I want to have a bunch of different beats using the same sounds. That works fine until I decide I want to tweak some of those sounds, there doesn't seem to be a way to copy just the sounds from one beat to another without the sequence.
kisielk
aerror: wow, you're really in to the DIY midi gear huh? smile That MidiThru box looks great, looks like I may be putting in a decent sized order with midisizer soon.
kisielk
Holy crap, just looked at the MidiRex, that's exactly what I'd want for live performance with my Prophet 12 as well smile These guys are solving all my problems...
aerror
i'm more or less addicted to diy in general.. i'm glad you found what you need. doesn't solve the actual tempest-midi-modular-problem but still.. hihi

and btw. there's a guy in your corner of the world that sells some midirex's http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/discussion/5262/req-midirex/p1
kisielk
It will help solve my Tempest + Evolver Desktop + Prophet 12 + MicroBrute + Eventide Space MIDI problem smile Now to find that MIDI-modular interface...
SubliminalSandwich
kisielk wrote:
Apparently now that the Pro-2 is launched and the Prophet-12 is in good shape, Pym is going back to working on the Tempest nearly full time so maybe there will be some improvements.

I actually love the sequencer, both the timestep mode and the events view. Also the record undo makes it really easy to live record sequences one pad at a time and keep trying till I get it right. If I'm close enough I just jump in to events view and tweak it a little. Also for doing hi-hat sequences and the like I turn on rolls and just play with holding the button and using pressure to modulate the sound. It works extremely well and I much prefer it over the fairly mechanical X0X style sequencers.

One thing which is annoying me right now is being able to tweak sounds on a song-wide basis. The flexibility of being able to have different sounds in different beats is great, you can do some really cool arrangements, but sometimes I want to have a bunch of different beats using the same sounds. That works fine until I decide I want to tweak some of those sounds, there doesn't seem to be a way to copy just the sounds from one beat to another without the sequence.

Good news that Pym might be back on the tempest OS.. i look forward to future developments.. certain things are important to Roger Linn.. and these things are the priority it seems.. (like realtime playlist recording i believe - although i hope it isnt restricted by whole bars.. there is a lot to quantized beat switching, and i hope this is incorporated into the playlists).

I like the sequencer too.. other systems (MPC and Octatrack for starters) have their advantages for sure.. no one system can do everything the best.. but the tempest has got its own individual feel which i warm too. zooming in on timestep at different levels of quantization (along with looping that screen only) really speeds things along.

Having the beats with seperate sound parameters is a great and unusual feature.. there is a trade off when trying to make everything work as a whole.. ive found mixing tiresome when i have to plod through all 16 beats making adjustments to get it all to sit right.. same with sounds..

Not sure if its just in the beta.. but you can decide ( with the soft knobs) whether to copy "just sound", "fx", "sequencer" etc with the copy sound feature.. so im sure you can get the same sound to each of your 16 beats without changing your sequences.. try it out and let me know if it works.
kisielk
re: copy sound options: Ah ha, that's where I saw the copy options.. in the copy sound menu smile And yes, that's a new feature in the beta.

Now they need to add a similar UI to copy beat, and it would be perfect. I think it would solve the majority of the mixing problems for me. It is definitely annoying having to copy a bunch of pads between beats to get things to sound the same when you change patterns.

I'm thinking of the more traditional scenario where you have a whole song tracked with up to 16 beats, and you decide to start tweaking the sounds. For one pad you already have to copy it 15 times. If you are tweaking 4 pads that's 60 copies. 8 makes it 120...
Pym
I'm pretty sure I've got it working with 16th notes but it's been a while since I was looking at that. Was the last thing I got working before I had to start on the Pro2.

If you save a beat, you can load just the 'kit' from the save/load screen. I've been thinking about how to allow just sequence swaps instead of full sequence+kit but there isn't a good way to distinguish it from the default behavior. I know what you want to do, to change just some params and have it hold over all the beats. It's on my list, just not likely unless I can figure out a good way to do it. I guess worst case I could just throw it in the edit menu.

Keep in mind you can hold down 'mod paths' when you hit the beat pad and it will retain the beatFX settings.

Edit: Oh right I kinda already added that. Go me!

kisielk wrote:
Apparently now that the Pro-2 is launched and the Prophet-12 is in good shape, Pym is going back to working on the Tempest nearly full time so maybe there will be some improvements.

Good news that Pym might be back on the tempest OS.. i look forward to future developments.. certain things are important to Roger Linn.. and these things are the priority it seems.. (like realtime playlist recording i believe - although i hope it isnt restricted by whole bars.. there is a lot to quantized beat switching, and i hope this is incorporated into the playlists).

I like the sequencer too.. other systems (MPC and Octatrack for starters) have their advantages for sure.. no one system can do everything the best.. but the tempest has got its own individual feel which i warm too. zooming in on timestep at different levels of quantization (along with looping that screen only) really speeds things along.

Having the beats with seperate sound parameters is a great and unusual feature.. there is a trade off when trying to make everything work as a whole.. ive found mixing tiresome when i have to plod through all 16 beats making adjustments to get it all to sit right.. same with sounds..

Not sure if its just in the beta.. but you can decide ( with the soft knobs) whether to copy "just sound", "fx", "sequencer" etc with the copy sound feature.. so im sure you can get the same sound to each of your 16 beats without changing your sequences.. try it out and let me know if it works.
kisielk
Hi Pym,

Thanks for jumping in to this thread. I actually sent some suggestions not too long ago to the support@ email in a conversation with Mark.

I didn't know about the kit loading feature, I'll look in to that, it may hold me over for now.

Couldn't it work like this: In 16 beats mode when you click copy, you just select a source and a destination pad. The top 4 encoders aren't currently used for anything. Could one of the encoders be used to select what is copied from one pad to the other? eg: All, Sounds, or Sequence?
Pym
Yeah I already have that working in my beta here

kisielk wrote:
Hi Pym,

Thanks for jumping in to this thread. I actually sent some suggestions not too long ago to the support@ email in a conversation with Mark.

I didn't know about the kit loading feature, I'll look in to that, it may hold me over for now.

Couldn't it work like this: In 16 beats mode when you click copy, you just select a source and a destination pad. The top 4 encoders aren't currently used for anything. Could one of the encoders be used to select what is copied from one pad to the other? eg: All, Sounds, or Sequence?
kisielk
Awesome smile

Not sure if you also saw my comment about making Fixed Level adjustable with an encoder when holding down the button.

Right now the Fixed Level button is barely useful because its effect really depends on the sound which you are programming, so pretty much every time I want to use I have to dive in to the system settings to change the level, and there's no way to preview what it would sound like.

I imagine it working like this: hold down the fixed level button, tap the pad, adjust the encoder, repeat till it sounds like what I want to record, then record the pad in to the beat.

Hopefully I'm not asking too much, that's just my feedback while I have your ear here. I think the Tempest hardware has incredible potential. If the workflow could be optimized a little bit more it would be a killer machine for programming drums.
SubliminalSandwich
Good to hear some feedback from you Pym.

I'll put my two cents in since were on the topic of development..

I'd love to be able to record mutes (either in playlist or the beat sequence itself).. it would greatly add to what you can do with the sequencer as the tempest relies on the 32 tracks to expand on what you can do with 16 beats.
There is only so much you can do by hand even though its primarily a live machine. im resorting to other equipment to make the most of what the tempest could do.

If you could "cue" the next beat and change the mutes/parameters on that beat, with the old beat still playing, then swap over it would allow you to do a lot more live without the need for copies.

Without mentioning sample import (damn i just did Dead Banana hihi )
I think to be able to select the start/end points of samples would add to the sound design possibilities.. you can use a vca and delayed envelope to some extent.. but to be able to grab a slice of the sample you need (click/thud/boom/noise/etc) makes much more of the sample set without needing time consuming development on your part.

Didnt want to jump down your neck just because you decided to show up here.. just looking to see the potential of the tempest realised.. cheers.. thumbs up
ZYKLIFF
hello, long time Tempest owner here (since the beginning).

i just want to say - approaching mi eight-thousandth hour - Tempest is as expressive, or more expressive, than the guitar. please keep up refinements, Chris Hector... You've been brilliant thus far.
Vootman
CV outs would have been a nice feature for sure...can we get an OS update for that? Dead Banana Haha, other than that, it's a gritty little bastard, built like a tank. I had a Jomox 888...that's gone, I kept the Tempest...but I also have a Jomox airbase 99... That's staying, the kick drum has few equals in the gut kicking low end dept.
Pym
So I added a function that allows you to 'swap' sounds from kit A to kit B without changing the sequence. This allows you to quickly jump to a new kit during playback. It works pretty well in realtime, rather fun if you set it up right. You could use this to 'save' mute states by having one of the two sounds muted and swapping between them. It's not perfect, but it's a way to do it right now. I'll consider mute recording in the future, it's been asked for a couple times now.

Man I'd like sample import but we haven't been able to get a programmer to finish the damn thing. It's very annoying assembly. This is the reason we moved to the Sharc in the later products. Hindsight and such.

Good to hear some feedback from you Pym.

I'll put my two cents in since were on the topic of development..

I'd love to be able to record mutes (either in playlist or the beat sequence itself).. it would greatly add to what you can do with the sequencer as the tempest relies on the 32 tracks to expand on what you can do with 16 beats.
There is only so much you can do by hand even though its primarily a live machine. im resorting to other equipment to make the most of what the tempest could do.

If you could "cue" the next beat and change the mutes/parameters on that beat, with the old beat still playing, then swap over it would allow you to do a lot more live without the need for copies.

Without mentioning sample import (damn i just did Dead Banana hihi )
I think to be able to select the start/end points of samples would add to the sound design possibilities.. you can use a vca and delayed envelope to some extent.. but to be able to grab a slice of the sample you need (click/thud/boom/noise/etc) makes much more of the sample set without needing time consuming development on your part.

Didnt want to jump down your neck just because you decided to show up here.. just looking to see the potential of the tempest realised.. cheers.. thumbs up
Pym
I think I could do that, I just don't know how valuable it would be. This is EXACTLY what the 16 levels pad function is for. I'd highly recommend using that for such playback, the fixed level param is more of a shortcut for that

kisielk wrote:
Awesome smile

Not sure if you also saw my comment about making Fixed Level adjustable with an encoder when holding down the button.

Right now the Fixed Level button is barely useful because its effect really depends on the sound which you are programming, so pretty much every time I want to use I have to dive in to the system settings to change the level, and there's no way to preview what it would sound like.

I imagine it working like this: hold down the fixed level button, tap the pad, adjust the encoder, repeat till it sounds like what I want to record, then record the pad in to the beat.

Hopefully I'm not asking too much, that's just my feedback while I have your ear here. I think the Tempest hardware has incredible potential. If the workflow could be optimized a little bit more it would be a killer machine for programming drums.
kisielk
*forehead slap* of course, I completely forgot about that mode smile

I guess the catch there is you can only play one of the pads, but I think that covers most of the potential use when sequencing. Being able to adjust fixed level quickly would be nice for live jamming though, but it's definitely more of a "nice to have".

Pym wrote:
I think I could do that, I just don't know how valuable it would be. This is EXACTLY what the 16 levels pad function is for. I'd highly recommend using that for such playback, the fixed level param is more of a shortcut for that

kisielk wrote:
Awesome smile

MasterVe
Man I'd like sample import but we haven't been able to get a programmer to finish the damn thing. It's very annoying assembly. This is the reason we moved to the Sharc in the later products. Hindsight and such.
? So does meen that tee programmer are working on sample import
On the tempest Pym
Pym
We had someone working on it but not at the moment. It is a very complicated thing to add

Believe me when I say if we saw a reasonable way to do it, we'd do it

MasterVe wrote:
? So does meen that tee programmer are working on sample import
On the tempest Pym
kisielk
Pym: the "sounds only" loading of beats from the save/load button is working for me fairly well right now, and it helps that it remembers the last beat you loaded so it's not *too* slow to load the same one in to a bunch of beats.

What would be helpful is if it also remembered the last "beat load options" setting. Currently it resets to normal each time.
Pym
Fair enough, I'll put it on the list

kisielk wrote:
Pym: the "sounds only" loading of beats from the save/load button is working for me fairly well right now, and it helps that it remembers the last beat you loaded so it's not *too* slow to load the same one in to a bunch of beats.

What would be helpful is if it also remembered the last "beat load options" setting. Currently it resets to normal each time.
kisielk
Thanks for listening. SlayerBadger!
SubliminalSandwich
Swap function sounds really interesting.. looking forward to that.. making the most of the 32 sequence tracks and sounds is key I think.

Appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions here pym..
kisielk
Pym: Okay, one more annoyance I hope you can fix in the next release:

The save category of a sound doesn't follow the sound type assigned to the pad. For example if I set a pad to "Bass" and then go to "Save Sound" the category is still set to "Kick".
goldphinga
Please please please PYM can we get the sample import feature working. Don't abandon it, it would be incredible to have this feature finally implemented. Keep us posted on any happenings pls! Much appreciated.
rdomain
Some great info in this thread. As for keeping the Tempest.... hell yes. I love the thing. So flexible as a realtime instrument and great tones to be had. Definitely not just a drum machine! A fave.
ST.
To reply to the OP:

YES! However, I waited and got the Tempest in early 2013. I was torn between it and the P08. I'm VERY happy I went with the Tempest.

Here's an example of why (My video of some synth sounds):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB9ZYDmxumY

It is by far my favorite synth to program on. Of course on top of that there is the fact that it has a wonderful sequencer and 6 voices!!
rdomain
For sure. Great synth engine to program. I basically waited to buy until it could do odd time signatures SlayerBadger!

A couple of all Tempest performances of mine. One in the old studio and one live.

http://youtu.be/0C0A1EZuhF8

http://youtu.be/S9u1J-yzJd8
ST.
rdomain wrote:
For sure. Great synth engine to program. I basically waited to buy until it could do odd time signatures SlayerBadger!

A couple of all Tempest performances of mine. One in the old studio and one live.

rdomain, it's good to hear from you! Your videos were recommended to me on the DSI forums in a conversation about the Tempest & ambient music.

I have yet to utilize the voice outs on my Tempest, but the reverb and delay on your second video really shows the potential smile. I'd love to get some long reverb on some snares like that! Sounds great.
rdomain
ST. wrote:
rdomain wrote:

rdomain, it's good to hear from you! Your videos were recommended to me on the DSI forums in a conversation about the Tempest & ambient music.

I have yet to utilize the voice outs on my Tempest, but the reverb and delay on your second video really shows the potential smile. I'd love to get some long reverb on some snares like that! Sounds great.

Ah excellent. Good to hear! I haven't been to the DSI forums for quite a while. I find the Tempest excels with nice reverbs etc. It can also do some pretty wicked industrial tones all by itself as I'm sure you know.
I've had a collaborative spoken word album in the making for quite some time now which features the Tempest extensively. Hopefully I can release that by the end of the year. If it gets finished, I'll be sure to post it up at DSI at the least. Thanks for the feedback too. Appreciated! thumbs up
ST.
rdomain wrote:
ST. wrote:
rdomain wrote:

Ah excellent. Good to hear! I haven't been to the DSI forums for quite a while. I find the Tempest excels with nice reverbs etc. It can also do some pretty wicked industrial tones all by itself as I'm sure you know.
I've had a collaborative spoken word album in the making for quite some time now which features the Tempest extensively. Hopefully I can release that by the end of the year. If it gets finished, I'll be sure to post it up at DSI at the least. Thanks for the feedback too. Appreciated! thumbs up

Unfortunately the DSI forums have been down for a couple (a few???) weeks now. Hopefully A) They will go back up/DSI will make an official forum and B) the negativity will disappear.

I'm looking forward to it! Are you planning to post it on YouTube and/or SoundCloud?
LeFreq
Still love my Tempest... even after getting the RYTM. As stated before.

Of course, the RYTM broke 3 days in and the Tempest is a freakin' tank with absolutely no functional issues for over a year and a half... So, yeah... F$*# Elektron right now since they have abandoned me with a $1500 paperweight.

Sorry, needed to bitch somewhere and why not in the thread of the broken POS's direct competitor? Maybe this will help someone decide on the Tempest, the much more reliable of the two!

waah Dead Banana

P.S. - Now complain about DSI being slow to update their products - at least they work and will replace one that self-destructs!!!!
pownie
LeFreq wrote:
P.S. - Now complain about DSI being slow to update their products

QFT. Haven't really played around with my tempest since I tried a beta, and it nearly bricked the synth. Almost shat bricks myself. I really, really hope they will soon realease a full update so we who have had problems can catch up again. I don't think I dare try and update to a beta again, my heart nearly stopped when that fucker momentarily died.
LeFreq
pownie wrote:
LeFreq wrote:
P.S. - Now complain about DSI being slow to update their products

QFT. Haven't really played around with my tempest since I tried a beta, and it nearly bricked the synth. Almost shat bricks myself. I really, really hope they will soon realease a full update so we who have had problems can catch up again. I don't think I dare try and update to a beta again, my heart nearly stopped when that fucker momentarily died.

Ah, didn't realize that happened.

Still, that's why it's a beta. I wouldn't try it myself. Then again, I couldn't even get the last legit update to install, so, lol.
deltaphoenix
There have been some Tempest with build issues too.
LeFreq
deltaphoenix wrote:
There have been some Tempest with build issues too.

Psh. Yeah right. razz meh

People take things too seriously 'round here. I was just bitching about my RYTM in an almost discrete way - which I even disclosed.

The Tempest is still a tank. Issues are to be had with anything. And DSI has actual customer service. I lost a knob for my Prophet and within 2 days I had 10 of them in my mailbox. Elektron could give 2 shits about my $1550. Just in an interesting comparison.

(I apologize for the derail, too... although this thread is all over the place, so I doubt it's much of a disturbance.)
deltaphoenix
That sucks LeFreq and I haven't ever heard of anyone totally being in the cold with either DSI or Elektron, if the products were under warranty which AR has to be…right?
And even after the warranty I have heard of DSI sending boards to people for cheap.

About the Tempest..man it is a cool piece of gear, I wish I could afford one right now but Modcan and AR have most of gear money right now...
LeFreq
deltaphoenix wrote:
That sucks LeFreq and I haven't ever heard of anyone totally being in the cold with either DSI or Elektron, if the products were under warranty which AR has to be…right?
And even after the warranty I have heard of DSI sending boards to people for cheap.

About the Tempest..man it is a cool piece of gear, I wish I could afford one right now but Modcan and AR have most of gear money right now...

I'm saying that DSI has great service! I've never had an issue with them - only the opposite. I'm comparing them to Elektron in this case, going back to my original point that is a reason to get the Tempest if someone is battling between the two. AND I just wanted to bitch.

As far as Elektron, there is more to the story that I don't want to share, because it's insider information and not on topic. But, the point is that they've pissed me off. And, I don't want to slander them, so I will stop. They are a great company, I would just appreciate a little more attention to my matter because it goes deeper than just a broken unit and lack of communication. With that said, this may just be my experience. YMMV.

ANYWAYS, The Tempest is awesome. I thought you already had one at some point, though?

The AR is f'n awesome, too. I really loved it for the short time it worked. I hope to be back up and running with a new one soon. It's very inspiring. One of the coolest and most fun to use pieces of gear in the last few years. I was hoping to get rid of either the AR or Tempest once I had both, but they are actually quite different in use.
deltaphoenix
Yeah, I had one, twice lol
LeFreq
deltaphoenix wrote:
Yeah, I had one, twice lol

hihi
rdomain
ST. wrote:
rdomain wrote:
ST. wrote:
rdomain wrote:

Unfortunately the DSI forums have been down for a couple (a few???) weeks now. Hopefully A) They will go back up/DSI will make an official forum and B) the negativity will disappear.

I'm looking forward to it! Are you planning to post it on YouTube and/or SoundCloud?

I'll probably do the Bandcamp thing thumbs up I don't understand all the negativity on the forum which is partly why I don't go there often. For me, the Tempest is awesome as it is. If you can't create amazing pieces of work with what's already there, it's certainly not the hardware's fault! Of course everyone likes new features so that's understandable but man, appreciate all this amazing gear.

To the recent posts regarding DSI support. My experience has been excellent. Very helpful. Now if I could just get some rack ears for my Evolver rack for a reasonable price....

As for Elektron, I recently invested in the Octatrack and Analog 4. Not a fan of their buttons (clickity clack) but they appear to be fairly solid. Hopefully I don't have any issues by the sounds of their support!
LeFreq
rdomain wrote:

As for Elektron, I recently invested in the Octatrack and Analog 4. Not a fan of their buttons (clickity clack) but they appear to be fairly solid. Hopefully I don't have any issues by the sounds of their support!

From interacting w/ Elektron in the retail world - their support is usually decent. Most people complain about the repair situation, though. You have to send a broken unit to the East Coast and it's a very slow process. Their U.S. team is sort-of unavailable right now and they are really backed up on production, so that's probably why there is a lack of service right this moment. I'm sure they'll be back to normal eventually.

My problem is that they tell me I need a replacement, but I still have to go through the repair process... worse yet, nobody will tell me how, when, the address to send it to, etc. It's only been a little while, so I'll keep pushing - just very frustrating considering the other details.

FWIW, I have all of their machines and have never had an issue, besides my first A4 having the paint chip problem. This RYTM just killed itself, though.
rdomain
Well I'm in Australia so the east coast of the US is way far! haha. My A4's paintjob is different to the Octatrack. Seems fragile. I'm pretty careful with my gear so I'm not sure if I have the paintchip problem or not yet really. There's a tiny chip in one spot. Is this something they'd do a replacement for?
LeFreq
rdomain wrote:
Well I'm in Australia so the east coast of the US is way far! haha. My A4's paintjob is different to the Octatrack. Seems fragile. I'm pretty careful with my gear so I'm not sure if I have the paintchip problem or not yet really. There's a tiny chip in one spot. Is this something they'd do a replacement for?

Did you buy it new? The newer one's don't have the paint chip problem. Mine came with 2-3 chips from the factory, already gone. Then more flaked quickly.

If yours flaked really easily, then yeah, you probably have the issue. If something actually happened to it or you bought it used, it may just be a normal chip.

The paint is different form the OT, so is the RYTM. I actually prefer it, feels nicer to the touch. But, yeah, it does feel more fragile.

Anyways, if it is the paint chip issue and it's under warranty, they will fix it. They may even do it if it isn't under warranty since it was a big issue.

Hope that helps.
thefutureeaters
Only had the beast for a few months but I really love it. Been really influencing the tracks we're recording.

A bit on current drum track method:
Step 1 Write basic song riffs on synths and/or guitars. Decide on feel.
Step 2 Start Tempest w/ a clean slate, blend and fine-tune the 4 oscillators for each drum to create a kit of kicks, snares etc that seem to compliment each other and the arrangement. Tweak further.
Step 3 Write a series of patterns. Copy and create several variations of the patterns. Tweak sounds further for each. Tune to key where necessary.
Step 4 Slave to DAW and track patterns (sometimes drum at a time, sometimes whole kit) in realtime... fills, sweeps etc.
Step 5 Chop chop in the DAW.

Cool things I've found with the Tempest and/or why I drink the kool aid:
1) Being able to get sounds I really love out of those oscillators and filters.
2) Shaking the entire fucking house (and the neighbors') by tuning the low end accordingly. Girlfriend says our cats upstairs appear to hold on to the floor for dear life once those kicks start singing. (Then I throw in some MiniBrute just to loosen my fillings.)
3) This week while tracking each drum individually, about 4 minutes into slaved clock recording, the Tempest tuning and filters started to drift and slowly correct themselves. What a beautiful accident each time.
4) In college I bought a TR909 and a LinnDrum and loved them. To me, this offspring Tempest has done great things to build on the lineage.
5) It's just damn fun. Sounds good on its own. Sounds good with friends.

Since I just bought my first modules I'm really excited to explore new sounds by pushing Tempest oscillators through the various filters, envelopes and VCAs of the modular.
mecanikill
I am in love with my Tempest and it plays so well with my modular. My Maths works great with the individual drum voice outs. Tempest is alive and I love the workflow with it. Wish I would have bought one years ago...
rutabaga40
thefutureeaters

You just described my exact process with it! applause
BrianAndren
mecanikill wrote:
I am in love with my Tempest and it plays so well with my modular. My Maths works great with the individual drum voice outs. Tempest is alive and I love the workflow with it. Wish I would have bought one years ago...

I never thought of running the individual outs through a modular. Good idea. Currently, I have mine up for sale. If it doesn't go for a good price I'll have to try this. Please don't get me wrong. I have no issues with the Tempest. The tempest is more of a musician's friend. Where I am more of a technical hack. So unfortunately I'll never realize the Tempest's full potential.
SubliminalSandwich
Been freeing myself from the sequencer and playing everything freeform.. practices my pad skills and gets me spontaneously responding to what I play.. each takes recorded via midi to my mpc so I can fine tune timing and velocity on key moments.. copying beats and then tweaking the kit parameters the sounds and therefore the performance change each time.. record instrument by instrument adding fx slider takes..

Tempest is so damn expressive as a real time drum instrument..
Phollop Willing PA
Thank-you for this thread. I was thinking of trading a KRONOS 73 for a TEMPEST even as both instruments in 'completed items' on eBay are selling in a similar ball park, but I hesitated due to the fact the KRONOS, for lack of anything else, is a good 'parlour piano' and new, these two instruments are miles apart price wise. I also have a Korg M3 w/ Radias option, which I probably won't sell or trade thinking that the M3 is probably more dependable in the long run or should I? Hmmmm.... Checking options.
berfmurret
VERY curious question to all you folks who have had hands on with the tempest. I am wondering about the Tempest's polysynth sounds versus something like a p08.

Are the sound engines of the Tempest and other DSI synths relatively similar?

I realize there are some differences like envelopes and feedback stuffs but are they the same filters, amps, oscillators, or other things that might alter the general sound?
SubliminalSandwich
I have both the tempest and p08..

Tempest is great at being a synth.. it doesn't always work in a traditional manner though.. its more difficult to rig it for midi control (say via a keyboard).. the p08 wins in terms of splits and layers.. I rely on the 4 lfo's on the prophet.. it defines many of the possibilities.. tempest has 5 envelopes.. this has consequences on the style of synth you get..

There are ways the tempest s better: hpf, distortion, sub osc, and of coursethe onboard sequencer is much more powerful..

Yes they both have the dsi sound..

If you wanted a traditional polysynth, there are a few hang ups that stop the tempest being what your after..
pownie
berfmurret wrote:

For the analog part; yes they are. There are of course differences between e.g. numbers of envelopes, LFOs, and sub-oscs, but overall, yes they consist of very similar components, esp. oscillators and filters.

DSI gear is pretty good at brassy sounds, and this video shows just how great, warm, and organic they actually can sound. And all that from the Tempest alone - which shows why it's so cool and versatile. Despite still not allowing for user samples SMACK!

Mefistophelees
I've had a Tempest from when they first came out and still have it today. People gripe about the software problems but most of the big bugs were fixed a long time ago. It is also still under active development.

berfmurret wrote:

I realize there are some differences like envelopes and feedback stuffs but are they the same filters, amps, oscillators, or other things that might alter the general sound?

Yes and no. I guess the analogue end is similar to the Prophet'08 but it's not identical. I find it's slightly different tone wise and there are differences in the architecture that make it sound different (e.g. the highpass filter and feedback). The LFOs don't reset and this can also make a difference. That said you can feed a signal into the pedal-in if you really need a free running LFO.

The biggest difference is when you use the digital oscillators. Then it becomes a completely different synth (one of the major reasons I bought it in the first place). There's a whole load of original 12 bit Prophet VS waves included and they give you a good variety of sounds. At low octaves they give you some very nice 80s crunch.

If you *just* wanted an analogue synth the Prophet'08 is probably a better bet. If you also want a drum machine and the digital options the Tempest is better.
SubliminalSandwich
I'd agree with mephistopheles..

If I spent my time on the dsi tempest forum I'd turn all bitter and twisted.. when its just me and the tempest.. I don't really have any issues..

Is like to use the vs oscillators more.. they sound very similar to each other to me..

I got the prophet when it first came out.. I think if you connect with playing keys it offers a very different experience than the tempest as a poly synth..
BrianAndren
Well I had just convinced myself I would keep the Tempest and was getting excited to do more with it. However, I kept my Tempest up for sale. The listed price was $65 less than what I paid for it and $200 more than what I've been seeing used units go for on ebay. It ended up selling. I'm sad to see it go but I know I can always pick another one up later.

The truth is I've been really busy lately and the Tempest has been just sitting there. I figure I'm better off getting good money for it while I can. Given the talk on the DSI forum I'm sure there will be more used ones on the market in the future. Unless the forum users are all talk.
SubliminalSandwich
Been linking up my octatrack to control Mutes..

Can get sound bank A to respond no problems.. sound bank B doesn't work.. :-(

Octatrack notes are 1 octave lower than tempest so that's not the issue..

Anyone else using external mute control with bank B offer any guidance?
Vootman
I just installed the OS update, and it's like a new machine for me...totally love it. For those that say you can't get a good kick out of this machine...go back to school, you need to take some programming lessons...this machine thumps hard and it's sound is more upfront and dirty (versus a Elektron AR for comparison). I've made some really great sounding bass on it as well. It serves as the bread and butter of my industrial style of music I make. The tempest is NOT a workstation or sampler, if you use it like a synth/drum machine, there's really nothing that can touch its sound.
SubliminalSandwich
Suddenly had a brainwave using playlist mode..
Always seemed pretty harmless, but...

Having the song playing, switching to time step mode you can alter the pattern structure in realtime.. adding fills, making variations.. switch to mute mode to control your sequencer tracks.. switch to sound mode to use realtime tx slider..

The workflow becomes fluid inside the architecture..

There is a new os out yeh?
Can anybody confirm you can still load old projects problem free?
libcrypt
My Tempest is my most-used hardware. I discover new ways to use it constantly.
deltaphoenix
How is the Arpeggiator in the Beta OS? Does it work controlling other gear through Midi?
BrianAndren
Got my RYTM this week. 15 minutes with the RYTM and I can tell you the RYTM can't replace the Tempest. Although the Tempest isn't the RYTM. I say keep the Tempest for what it can do and buy the RYTM for what the Tempest can't. I'll most likely replace mine, someday. Until then I'll be rockin' the RYTM full time.
Vootman
I have a little Mopho midi sync'ed to the tempest, and sequences it...it works great...Mopho is a little beastie! But, I don't think it can send midi CC messages yet, like filter changes of that kind of info...next update I guess seriously, i just don't get it but overall I'm loving the new OS.
deltaphoenix
THat is good to hear Vootman thumbs up Looks like I am going to be back on board with the Tempest soon.
deltaphoenix
So, Tempest is here and I am having a blast with it. The OS updates have been helpful. I am digging the Tempest a lot. I have missed it more than I thought.
SubliminalSandwich
Good to have you back in the fold delta.. thumbs up

Im finding the FX sliders the business on my beats right now.. its a real skill to use.. which I find much more satisfying than random craziness.

I haven't installed the new OS cos im working on something.. Do old projects still load without hick ups on the new OS?
pownie
Have they released the new OS update yet? I haven't paid much attention to it, just thought they were still running beta tests. Which, in that case, has been going on for fuckin ever.
SubliminalSandwich
Im on 1.3.1.12

which was the "beta" OS a while back..

Last time I looked they added free running LFOs, compression envelopes and quite a few other tasty morsels.
deltaphoenix
When I get home I will let you know which beta I am on.
kisielk
The brand new beta still has some problems with LFOs in sounds, so I wouldn't suggest updating if you're in the middle of something.
SubliminalSandwich
I thought if you switched the LFOs to free running, you always use an individual out.. or else different sounds would voice steal and you'd get unpredictable results..

Is that what you mean?
kisielk
No, there's some other problems such as pre-existing sounds created before the update being loaded with the wrong LFO settings and otherwise being completely messed up.
SubliminalSandwich
don't f**k with the LFOs! zombie
Vootman
You know that girl that we've all gone out with once or twice in our gear whoring lives, that girl you want to like so badly you lie to yourself...she has a reeeely nice body, but it's the insides that count... well that about sums up my experience with the Tempest. At the end of the relationship I just didn't like the sound, plain and simple. I sold it today to a great guy who will appreciate her for who she is... That said, DSI knocked it outta the park with the Pro 2...currently my favorite synth, it's awesome sounding! I hope they do a Tempest 2 with a Pro 2 sound engine, and add CV and Gate outs..now that would be "a dame to kill for"_
Frank Miller
natrixgli
The Tempest is the only synth I've not been able to part with yet. It's also the one I've probably wanted to get rid of the most frequently.
peachfuzzmcgee
The tempest is a funny instrument, it's the instrument I would get most frustrated with, but at the same time it was the instrument that I felt was most alive. I couldnt get it to play nice with any sequencer, and when it was sequenced elsewhere it was super gimped, but when I let go of some of those kicks and leads, it just had some weight to it.

I sometimes think that I want it back (enjoy it Deltaphoenix), but at the same time I might have just wanted it as a synth and at that point there is probably better choices.Then again a P'08 is about the same price for a used rack version and it doesn't have the sequencer functions and all the extra drum hubbub. So who knows, I was getting pretty good at using it quickly but making drums on it was a pain in the ass.

making synth sounds on it was super fun though.
SB-SIX
I didn't keep it. I tried to like it for 3 years, but the only great sounds out of it were polysynth sounds. Drum sounds sound horrible to me. Made some fun loops with the included samples, but could not justify a $2000 dollar machine that plays crappy samples.
What I didn't like:
Envelopes. Not snappy, annoying clicks.
The hipass filter. No resonance => useless
The digital waveforms: annoying hiss in most of the waveforms
The bugs and the wait before they got fixed

Loved:
The pads
The oscs and lp filter

I might get one just as a polysynth if it comes cheap, but I'm more interested in the upcoming parva.
rdomain
I've had no issues with getting it to sync but I'm using it with a Sync Gen Pro which is tight as. Finally incorporating into my modular rig more. applause

And yeah, I've got the Pro 2 too. A great synth but for some reason, I'm never super inspired to use it unlike my modular or even Tempest. Hopefully that'll change at some stage.

Here's some Tempest/Modular love. thumbs up

https://instagram.com/p/7iJXqTHfpx/?taken-by=rdomain
ActionMaxVA
I sold mine last year.
I kept trying to click with it but have gotten away from that style of drum programming.
Dave Smith and Roger Linn are two of my favorite makers so I felt strange letting it go.
Part of my reasoning was to move the equity into something else and knowing that they would typically be around used for quite some time.
Sometimes when I sell something I tell myself if I really miss it I will find one again.
I liked the sound and the sequencer was solid I have just gotten so far away from midi or in the box type composition.
I also liked a lot of the DSI synth sounds and that overdrive it offers but I have that covered fairly well in the Polyevolver and the Curtis filer module.

Until we meet again Tempest.....
hellodustin
I've got a tempest but have yet to fully explore it. I think I'll have some dedicated time in the coming months. I intend to love it. We'll see what it holds for me. love
blue_lu
Sold mine. The output assign issue was just not working for me.
Heavenly3lues
It's great reading through this thread, as I have been looking at the Tempest for a while now. I'm still on the fence. Thanks for sharing all your experiences!
clunky
The T is fantastic and flawed in equal measure.

Great sounds, versatile - stupid memory , big bugs.

The good side was apparent to me early on, the bad side doesnt come till you're much further down the road.
rew_
I love my tempest. Stick with the contest sounds and the Stim sounds and it's incredible. If you think of it as a rhythmic synthesizer instead of a durrr-909/808 stand-in you'll come around much faster.

Do think the memory is garbage, both because it basically forever precludes user samples and because it's just really tiny even just for storing sounds/projects. Memory is cheap! whyyyyy.
federicochiesa
i had it for 2 months... than i got an 808 and sold the tempest. Never looked back.
D_Bowman
Tempest owners and users: Can anyone speak to the brightness of the blue LEDs on this machine? Is it piercing?
jzwoopwoop
D_Bowman wrote:
Tempest owners and users: Can anyone speak to the brightness of the blue LEDs on this machine? Is it piercing?

No, definitely not piercing, by any means.
D_Bowman
jzwoopwoop wrote:
D_Bowman wrote:

No, definitely not piercing, by any means.

Thanks for the reply. I remember hearing some criticism of DSI's Poly Evolver's blue LEDs being bright, and it's a pet peeve of mine! Can't stand it.
Leviathant
D_Bowman wrote:

Confirming what you just said: the blue LEDs on my Poly Evolver are super annoying, and I've used a cut-up piece of lighting gel to reduce their brightness.

The LEDs on the Tempest are fine.
goonlord
Is anyone using a Tempest in tandem with a Eurorack modular? I am curious as to what your workflow is.

As it stands, my Tempest is my only piece of hardware, so naturally I am wondering if it will play nicely with my incoming modular. Any input would be greatly appreciated, cheers! nanners
Corrupt
Tempest being used from a common clock source with the modular here. MIDI to Tempest and to Kenton Pro 2000 –> Trigger Riot via DIN sync.

No further control interaction. If impulse/rimshot-style triggering is possible, and I don't see why it wouldn't be, would be a real waste of a voice and output in this case.

Love the Tempest, for all its flaws – will never sell it. smile
goonlord
I too love the Tempest, flaws and all. I was a relatively late adopter, so a lot of feature requests (like free running LFOs) were already fulfilled. I could totally see why many early adopters opted to get rid of it, since it was released as a "work-in-progress."

To be honest, I was quite intent on sequencing my modular with the Tempest, but I think you're right; MIDI sequencing would be a waste of a voice! I suppose I'll just save up for a dedicated sequencer for my skiff...
stikygum
goonlord wrote:
I too love the Tempest, flaws and all. I was a relatively late adopter, so a lot of feature requests (like free running LFOs) were already fulfilled. I could totally see why many early adopters opted to get rid of it, since it was released as a "work-in-progress."

To be honest, I was quite intent on sequencing my modular with the Tempest, but I think you're right; MIDI sequencing would be a waste of a voice! I suppose I'll just save up for a dedicated sequencer for my skiff...

You hardly need to save much as something like the Beatstep Pro works really well for this.
Corrupt
stikygum wrote:
You hardly need to save much as something like the Beatstep Pro works really well for this.

Good call.
Corrupt
stikygum wrote:

Good call.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 13