MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hinton Instrum. sells 300 Series frames for £75. Fair price?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Hinton Instrum. sells 300 Series frames for £75. Fair price?
flts
Note though, that Doepfer G6 frame is a complete subrack enclosure - aside the rack ears and mounting rails it also has proper side walls and back panel. The only picture of the Hinton frame I've seen has been the frame kit build picture which just shows two rack ears and the mounting rails between them - a very minimal mounting solution with no side/back panels or back rails.

This does not mean that the Hinton rack would be a bad value in any case, on the contrary - I'll rather pay the asked amount to get a nice mounting solution than make one myself and no regrets with that. It's just that I am assuming (until I receive the frame and the PSU, or someone with the rack can confirm or deny this) that the Hinton frame is a very minimal and lightweight mounting solution, while the Doepfer frame is a complete enclosure, so they are not really comparable in that sense. Of course Doepfer is much more expensive as well.
flts
FWIW, the Hinton rack and PSU arrived today. Observations:

- The power supply build quality is great. No gimmicks, just a super well built linear PSU with proper grounding, heavy wiring and protection where it matters. I can't do any comparisons, but after I opened the package and inspected the power supply the last bit of buyer's remorse fell off me.

- The rack frame is just 6U rack ears, two aluminium strips with holes drilled for 300 series module panel mounting and the fastening hardware, as I expected. You could make a similar one for cheaper if you had the tools and your time was free, but it's still a good value.
e-grad
flts wrote:
Note though, that Doepfer G6 frame is a complete subrack enclosure [...].

My point is: The Hinton frame as a boutique product seems to reasonable priced if compared to a Euro frame which is an off-the-shelf mass product at a price that seems to lack economies of scale.
flts
e-grad wrote:
flts wrote:
Note though, that Doepfer G6 frame is a complete subrack enclosure [...].

My point is: The Hinton frame as a boutique product seems to reasonable priced if compared to a Euro frame which is an off-the-shelf mass product at a price that seems to lack economies of scale.

Yeah, I understand the point and it's a valid one. My "counterargument" was, that two strips of hand drilled aluminium bar attached to rack ears (Hinton Wiard frame) is something so completely different from closed-frame industrial strength complete subrack (I think Doepfer is using Schroff EuroPAC or similar enclosures that are commonly used with industrial / medical eurorack equipment) with double the number of rails and a whole different level of structural rigidity, that it's hard to make a honest comparison, even considering the price difference. It's so close to apples vs. oranges that I'd personally rather say both are two different things that seem to be decent value for what they are and how they are made.
thesnow
Hinton Wiard 300 frames are built the way they are specifically because they allow for adjustment in the case of minor size/mechanical differences from different 300 panel to panel when fixing them in the frames. Cary Grace has even said herself that the Hinton frames are an improvement over the original ones Wiard offered at one point. I don't care that they are not blue either. When the modules fill up it doesn't make that big of a difference that the frame itself is not blue, too.
flts
thesnow wrote:
Hinton Wiard 300 frames are built the way they are specifically because they allow for adjustment in the case of minor size/mechanical differences from different 300 panel to panel when fixing them in the frames.

Yeah, I was told this by Graham Hinton - they allow for some wiggle room since all of the 300 series panels may not be exactly uniform. Because of that all but the left- and rightmost mounting holes use through-hole bolts with nuts and not (self-tapping) screws - it's easier to file the holes a bit bigger yourself as well if there are any fitting issues between different batches of 300 panels etc.

I still think the blue rack ears would add a lot to the overall look (the mounting bars don't need to be blue since they'll be hidden under the modules anyway), but that's really a personal aesthetic issue and nothing to do with functionality or how good a product the frame is.

One thing I have to add is that Hinton has spectacular customer & presales service - he went the extra mile to explain all the details about the rack construction and power supply to me.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2