MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hinton Instrum. sells 300 Series frames for £75. Fair price?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author Hinton Instrum. sells 300 Series frames for £75. Fair price?
thesnow
Hinton Instruments sells 300 Series frames for £75 (pounds sterling) each. Is that a fair price for them?

I live in the u.s. and that translates to around $117 each!? Ouch.

But supposedly there isn't anywhere else to purchase those frames and Wiard do not offer them anymore.

Thanks for the insight.
rico loverde
thesnow wrote:
Hinton Instruments sells 300 Series frames for £75 (pounds sterling) each. Is that a fair price for them?

But supposedly there isn't anywhere else to purchase those frames and Wiard do not offer them anymore.

Thanks for the insight.
you could make a frame pretty easily. you can get 1" x 1" L shaped aluminum at any true value or home depot, then order a set of tiptop or erthenvar rails. cut the aluminum L pieces to the right height and mount the rails. Drill rack holes in the L pieces and your good to go

erthenvar might be better for the rails as you can have them cut to whatever size you need, 17" if for a typical 19" rack, that would hold 6 300 series modules

edit: id say under $50
Muff Wiggler
It's a good deal! Grant charged (if my aging memory serves me correctly...) $200 for one.
Muff Wiggler
Btw Rico I just passed up the chance to get a second unit of "something special" so that you could have one. I figured one guy with two wasn't as good for the scene as two guys with one each. Enjoy!

Wiard Wiard
thesnow
Thanks, guys!

All I really needed to know.

Rico, enjoy that something special, lucky! Guinness ftw!
rico loverde
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Btw Rico I just passed up the chance to get a second unit of "something special" so that you could have one. I figured one guy with two wasn't as good for the scene as two guys with one each. Enjoy!

Wiard Wiard
we're not worthy MIKE

you rule so hard Mike!!!! thank you so damn much!!!!
cat6batch
thesnow wrote:

Thanks for the insight.

A custom case for a format that only has a few hundred modules out there... How can that be considered a bad deal? seriously, i just don't get it
chamomileshark
I can confirm what Muff said , Grant reluctantly had to charge $200 for a frame. My guess is that was at cost.
revmutt
Okay WTF is "something special"?
Ekofisk
Muff Wiggler wrote:

Wiard Wiard

Yeah, thanks for letting us know... d'oh!

Now tell us. And do it fast.
wavecircle
Omni filter is my guess.
Ekofisk
Yes, I was thinking that too.
rico loverde
Yes muff was gracious enough to let me buy an omni that was suppose to be for him. I'm normally not a lucky man but this time the synth gods smiled down on me...
revmutt
The "special" part was what brought on the question. Is there something unusual about this Omni or is it that there less of them then Borgs?
rico loverde
revmutt wrote:
The "special" part was what brought on the question. Is there something unusual about this Omni or is it that there less of them then Borgs?
special circumstances. omnis are quite hard to come by
wavecircle
It's a shame because the omni is the wiard imo. Such an impressive filter, one of the best ive heard.
carygrace
Muff Wiggler wrote:
It's a good deal! Grant charged (if my aging memory serves me correctly...) $200 for one.

Yes, that's correct, $200. And they would have to go up significantly if they were made today (that price is from quite a few years ago).

They had to be machined, drilled, tapped, and then had to be anodised at the same time as the panels so they would exactly match the blue. Unfortunately some people bought more frames than modules to fill them up, so they sold out prematurely.

I've seen a custom 300 frame from Hinton Instruments, and they are very nice indeed, probably better than the original ones. Well worth the price.
stin-g
I just got one of the frames and I'm pleased as can be. Quality stuff, and Graham at Hinton couldn't be more helpful or pleasant to do business with. These parts could certainly be made, or other frames could be modified to hold your 300 series modules, but for the quality and convenience I'd say it's well worth the money. They are not blue for those of you who are cosmetically concerned, but you see very little of them once mounted in a rack. Smooth, tight, minimal build. And the Hinton PSU is NO JOKE.
rico loverde
the Hinton power supplies look so awesome. someday ill get one
sundog
out of interest....does anyone know how much the Hinton supplies cost?
Ekofisk
I have Hinton PSUs for both my Wiard and my euro. I have never heard the Wiard on any other psu so I couldn't comment on the difference, but with the euro there really is a massive difference to the uZeus I was using. Everything seems more stable somehow. I really didn't expect this, and wouldn't have believed it had I not heard it myself.

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember them being around 250GBP?
science
Something special is the main reason I still have my 300 series stuff thumbs up

One of these days I'll pick up a proper power supply so I can run more than 3 of my 8 modules at a time d'oh!
stin-g
Correct - base cost of Hinton PSU as of this writing is 250GBP (about $390 USD).
This is good to power 6 modules. Another distribution card to power another six is 25GBP. A power switch is 10GBP. You can also add an XLR output to power a skiff (or what have you) and a switch to select 115/220 operation.

Beautifully made, best PSU available IMHO.

But back to the frame - - I had originally planned to construct one myself, but there is very little chance I would have been able to produce one as nice as the Hinton, so it was well worth the 75GBP (~$117USD).

If you're in the US postage is also a consideration. It was almost $70USD to get my PSU and frame. I'm sure a frame alone is much less.

Worth every penny! SlayerBadger!
flts
As I said in the other thread as well, the PSU with one distribution card is still 250 GBP + VAT and the extras seem to be still the same price. The frame now costs 95 GBP + VAT though so the price of that has apparently gone up somewhat.

I was initially thinking about attaching the modules directly to a wooden frame or DIYing metal mounting bars myself. In the end I decided that if I'm spending on awesome modules and awesome PSU, I might as well get a professionally made rack frame as well. So right now my plan is to make a suitably awesome wooden case with rack rails on both sides, so I can attach the PSU panel and some venting panels on the back side and the module frame on the front side.
e-grad
A basic Doepfer G6 frame incl. PSU costs 390€ (336GBP). Since the PSU2 goes for 100€ (86GBP) the G6 alone is 250GBP incl. the unknown costs for mounting and possible testing the PSU.

Now keep in mind that the euro rack is mass production while Hinton does a boutique production. Thus the Hinton frame seems to be priced very reasonable.
flts
Note though, that Doepfer G6 frame is a complete subrack enclosure - aside the rack ears and mounting rails it also has proper side walls and back panel. The only picture of the Hinton frame I've seen has been the frame kit build picture which just shows two rack ears and the mounting rails between them - a very minimal mounting solution with no side/back panels or back rails.

This does not mean that the Hinton rack would be a bad value in any case, on the contrary - I'll rather pay the asked amount to get a nice mounting solution than make one myself and no regrets with that. It's just that I am assuming (until I receive the frame and the PSU, or someone with the rack can confirm or deny this) that the Hinton frame is a very minimal and lightweight mounting solution, while the Doepfer frame is a complete enclosure, so they are not really comparable in that sense. Of course Doepfer is much more expensive as well.
flts
FWIW, the Hinton rack and PSU arrived today. Observations:

- The power supply build quality is great. No gimmicks, just a super well built linear PSU with proper grounding, heavy wiring and protection where it matters. I can't do any comparisons, but after I opened the package and inspected the power supply the last bit of buyer's remorse fell off me.

- The rack frame is just 6U rack ears, two aluminium strips with holes drilled for 300 series module panel mounting and the fastening hardware, as I expected. You could make a similar one for cheaper if you had the tools and your time was free, but it's still a good value.
e-grad
flts wrote:
Note though, that Doepfer G6 frame is a complete subrack enclosure [...].

My point is: The Hinton frame as a boutique product seems to reasonable priced if compared to a Euro frame which is an off-the-shelf mass product at a price that seems to lack economies of scale.
flts
e-grad wrote:
flts wrote:
Note though, that Doepfer G6 frame is a complete subrack enclosure [...].

My point is: The Hinton frame as a boutique product seems to reasonable priced if compared to a Euro frame which is an off-the-shelf mass product at a price that seems to lack economies of scale.

Yeah, I understand the point and it's a valid one. My "counterargument" was, that two strips of hand drilled aluminium bar attached to rack ears (Hinton Wiard frame) is something so completely different from closed-frame industrial strength complete subrack (I think Doepfer is using Schroff EuroPAC or similar enclosures that are commonly used with industrial / medical eurorack equipment) with double the number of rails and a whole different level of structural rigidity, that it's hard to make a honest comparison, even considering the price difference. It's so close to apples vs. oranges that I'd personally rather say both are two different things that seem to be decent value for what they are and how they are made.
thesnow
Hinton Wiard 300 frames are built the way they are specifically because they allow for adjustment in the case of minor size/mechanical differences from different 300 panel to panel when fixing them in the frames. Cary Grace has even said herself that the Hinton frames are an improvement over the original ones Wiard offered at one point. I don't care that they are not blue either. When the modules fill up it doesn't make that big of a difference that the frame itself is not blue, too.
flts
thesnow wrote:
Hinton Wiard 300 frames are built the way they are specifically because they allow for adjustment in the case of minor size/mechanical differences from different 300 panel to panel when fixing them in the frames.

Yeah, I was told this by Graham Hinton - they allow for some wiggle room since all of the 300 series panels may not be exactly uniform. Because of that all but the left- and rightmost mounting holes use through-hole bolts with nuts and not (self-tapping) screws - it's easier to file the holes a bit bigger yourself as well if there are any fitting issues between different batches of 300 panels etc.

I still think the blue rack ears would add a lot to the overall look (the mounting bars don't need to be blue since they'll be hidden under the modules anyway), but that's really a personal aesthetic issue and nothing to do with functionality or how good a product the frame is.

One thing I have to add is that Hinton has spectacular customer & presales service - he went the extra mile to explain all the details about the rack construction and power supply to me.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 2