MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Good vintage tube combo for synths?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Good vintage tube combo for synths?
fracinfrucer
I have been wanting to scale down my live set up, mainly my amplifiers. Currently we're using 2 half stacks (musicman hd130 reverb head/4X12 cab for guitar and musicman hd130 bass head/1X15 cab for synth) and it's starting to get kind of back breaking, as well as taking up a lot of real estate in transit...

I would like to replace these with tube combos, but while I've played many combos that work well for guitar, I haven't really had any success with combos on synths. I got a Musicman 1X15 combo thinking it would be perfect but it was very disappointing- also much better on guitar. Does anyone have any suggestions? I only use tube amps and lean toward vintage because, in my experience, amplifiers were what was in mind when the person coined "they don't make em like they use to."
fracinfrucer
Damn, I should've put this one forum down- I usually think of that forum as for guitars, even though it has amp right in the title lol
hbc
is the musicman combo open backed? that will generally be disappointing in the low end department.
fracinfrucer
Yes, it is open backed- I think it was originally meant for guitar even though it had a 15".
hbc
yeah, that's a common setup for lap steelers, or other super clean country tones. You probably have an ideal setup with that Music Man head and the 1x15. Is the cab a TL606 (EV) design?

Only upgrade from that would be a hand truck.
fracinfrucer
Yeah, I actually love the way that set up sounds (it's a fender 15" cab)- we're just trying to figure out how we can tour in a station wagon smile
Kent
Musicman HD-130s (with that script writing on 'em) are under-appreciated hybrid amps of awesome. However, I'm not certain that a tube amp would necessarily be the best choice for synthesists unless you were purposely looking for extra color and extra weight grin

How much wattage do you need? Around the HD-130s? Animal! And what's your budget?

The only guy that I ever heard pull off a decent sound while still projecting and having punch and definition was the guy from Soul Coughing. He used a reissue Fender Bassman 4x10. I had a MusicMan HD-130 4x10 and it was the tits. I used it for Rockin' Banana! though.
Malekko
I had an Orange ad30 combo that was very nice.
I have an OR80 now that is even nicer
love
Kent
I see your OR80 and raise you one 1972 OR120 w/O.G. 30Watt Celestions! MY ASS IS BLEEDING we're not worthy Band
fracinfrucer
I definitely like the tube amp for color (not so much for the extra weight lol ) And the Musicman 1X15 was 100 watts and I'm not sure if it's just that particular amp or the open back, but it would sometimes get drown out by the guitar... So, I'd definitely say around the same watts as the HD-130. I'm probably looking for somewhere around $600 as far as budget.

I used to have a Traynor YBA-2A w/ the matching 2X15 cab before I "downsized" to the 1X15 set up we have now and that sounded great and I see that they made some 1X15 bass combos, but the ones I see are all 20-25 watts or I'd go that direction. Wattage translates so differently from amp to amp it seems. But we usually don't get accused of not playing loud enough screaming goo yo

Why isn't there a store where I could go try out any old amp I wanted? cry
RetBody
For a tube combo, I'd be all about an Orange.

Actually, I'd be all about a Sunn Coliseum stack, but you said you were looking for a combo. You can't beat a 2x15" for pure SlayerBadger! power, tho.
Kent
fracinfrucer wrote:
Wattage translates so differently from amp to amp it seems.

That's because almost all amp companies use "Marketing Watts", especially for tooob amps. Early 50 Watt Marshalls are actually about 22 CLEAN Watts. If THD isn't listed along with wattage, then it really doesn't mean much at all. It's just a very rough ballpark figure of power & heat dissipation in guitar-amp land.

I work for the parent company, so I've got my 'shill hat' on at the moment. However, I think that you should look into one of these or its 350W Mono cousin. Fantastic amplifiers if I do say so myself and they can be had for very little money these days. Click the pictures. The correct 4-button footswitch is shown in the 2nd picture. You can use any speaker cabinet(s) that you wish in addition to the built-in stereo 2x12 inches. Yes, at the same time... You can tap tempo the effects (amp panel or footswitch), which is great for live performances and you can channel switch and save 6 FX settings, 2 per channel (via the footswitch or amp's panel). It is a very well thought out performance system.
Your FX can be in stereo and your dry sound in mono if you wish, which really helps maintain 'punch' and 'clarity'. If the FX are bypassed, your signal is 100% analog. Almost all FX are in parallel (unless you use the 'auto-wah' or pitch-shifting FX of course) so your signal is tapped-off like in a mixing console. Thus, still analog except for the effected part. You can even flip the effect order so that, say the phaser, is only on the echo repeats, or the chorus is only the delay. This is my favorite amp that we ever put out & I won't make a dime if you buy one since it has (foolishly) been discontinued.

fracinfrucer
There are some Crate's locally I think I'll have to check out. Have you tried these specifically on synths Kent?
goiks
well, it's not vintage, but i was eyeing one of these and wondered if anyone had anything to say about it. btw, if you see a used one, look out for raglani stenciled on it (stolen).

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=1&cat=57&id=340
burgs
Can anyone speak on the quality of Motion Sound stuff? I see them on Sweetwater and MF a lot under keyboard amps...
Kent
fracinfrucer wrote:
There are some Crate's locally I think I'll have to check out. Have you tried these specifically on synths Kent?

Yes, I have. I have quite a few amps from which to choose and I use my VTX-200S more often than any of the others. It isn't my 'mostest favoritest amp of all time', but it sounds damn good and is solid as hell. If the house were on fire, the OR120 and Gibson RVT79 would be the first out the door!

Dead Banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1