MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is this a good starter system?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Is this a good starter system?
dougcl
Hi folks, trying to throw together something on the minimal side that would be flexible. Any thoughts on this? Is this a good start? What two modules would you suggest to fill in the the bottom row?

panda30y
Looks good to me. It has everything I would want to get started with.

IDK what I would suggest that you get for the last 2 slots, perhaps the 225e as one of them. It really depends on how you use your system. If you aren't going to order a full 12 boat system at once, I think you'll be able to answer that question yourself after a few months of playing with your system.
don h
266e and 206e. You'll likely appreciate the presets, the extra mixing certainly helps, and the 266e is almost a given!
prscrptn
I would include the 225e MIDI module and the 266e Source of Uncertaity or possibly the 297 Infinite Phase Shifter. All 3 of these modules are very useful.
The 225e is the best MIDI to CV interface I have ever used, the 266e SOU is great for modulation, and the 297 Infinite Phase Shifter is another type of filter...
Shasta Cults
looks great
parasitk
Verbos 258v? nanners
felix
The Chewbacca Defense

go doug, go doug, go, go, go doug
science
Go for it, looks like a good module selection to start with. Just let them finish building mine first hyper
blindoldfreak
don h wrote:
266e and 206e. You'll likely appreciate the presets, the extra mixing certainly helps, and the 266e is almost a given!

I second don's suggestion: i would give up the 227e for a 206e and a 266e, unless you REALLY need quad outputs.
In that case, i'd definitely make room for a 225e for storage/midi purposes.

A.
transferpoint
off topic sorry... can you interface buchla with euro?

sorry again... burning question
panda30y
transferpoint wrote:
off topic sorry... can you interface buchla with euro?

sorry again... burning question

yes, but with a little work. Audio signals shouldn't be a problem because they are 1/8" jacks, but the control signals are bananas, and you would have to get a patch panel to convert the signal and/or create a cable that runs 2 bananas (signal and ground) to one 1/8" male connector, with the ground banana being grounded to the psu or I suppose the chassis might be fine as well (? someone verify this.) Also, buchla is 1.2v/oct so you will have to attenuate their signals, and some of the voltages don't match.

There really is alot that has been spoken on this subject, just search the forum and you'll find loads of information I haven't even touched and better explained. Google Fucking Exists
transferpoint
I should know better, I'll search the forums.

Thanks for the reply... ok back on topic
Audio Resistance
Ahhh Doug, will this mean the end of the excellent Euro video's?

No more Supreme Commander of the PLL ! waah
citizen mori
i agree with panda's last sentiment... ordering only what you find interesting from your reading and personal opinion and then making decisions based on your time with the instrument is a very good route.

i always find it difficult to recommend configurations... it is difficult to know what is best for someone else if you've not had a chance to understand their musical aesthetics, workflow, and never engineering a track for them or something like this.

these things being said, i also do agree with don h and alessandro about the 266e. the source of uncertainty is really special and it is hard for me to imagine using a buchla without some version of SoU about.
dougcl
Hi folks thanks for all the thoughtful advice. So instead of the 227e, it seems the 206e would be sufficient for stereo output. I'm not interested in midi though (so I think that kills the 225e unless I am mistaken). This is all very preliminary and the euro system will be around for a while yet even if I ordered tomorrow smile Long range plan is to have one system though.
dougcl
Updated version hopefully representing the priorities suggested (and less expensive too).
citizen mori
comprehensive! thumbs up
don h
I guess the controller's now the question.
prscrptn
That looks great! thumbs up
buchlidianlundi
why not a 210e before the 256e?
dougcl wrote:
Updated version hopefully representing the priorities suggested (and less expensive too).

nice starter system,i would replace the 256e with another 261e,why?,because in a little system like this u will have more potential to complexer sounds then.

the 256e can only modifie a signal ,the 261 can modifie (modulate) and generate at same time.
citizen mori
O_O

the 256e is consummate!!!

scaling, inversion, mixing and cross fading of control signals, temporal discontinuities, offsets, behaving as a comparator, converting a single function into many functions of drastically different natures, pseudo-presets for non e-series modules... to me, it is one of the most powerful devices for synthesis, composition and performance... i am in love with the 256e...
HexEnduction
dougcl wrote:

Looks great Doug! thumbs up The 256e seems ideal for a system this size.
Are you planning on racking or are you ordering the cabinet as well?
citizen mori wrote:
O_O

the 256e is consummate!!!

scaling, inversion, mixing and cross fading of control signals, temporal discontinuities, offsets, behaving as a comparator, converting a single function into many functions of drastically different natures, pseudo-presets for non e-series modules... to me, it is one of the most powerful devices for synthesis, composition and performance... i am in love with the 256e...

indeed great control over sound..,but if the sound is basic it has no sence..

the 256e is ideal in a bigger 200e system,the vital modules takes priority when there is a limited budget,so you are better with more generators
a creative mind would get more out of his system then..
citizen mori
2012 wrote:
a creative mind would get more out of his system then..

i do hope that we become better strangers over time, sir.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4