MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mopho keyboard plus modular...pointless?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Mopho keyboard plus modular...pointless?
matthewsavant
I understand this question is highly subjective but I'd like a second opinion on it anyways.

I'm planning to build my next modular and I've gone a little...maybe a lot over budget, I really don't have much disposable income and I'm in the process of moving So...I am thinking about selling a piece of gear to fund my modular purchase.
If I had the money I'd keep everything just to have more sound sources but at the moment I have to budget these things so everything in the studio should complement each other.
I normally don't like to sell gear to buy gear but I might make an exception for this one I wanted to see what you guys thought
My current set up is:
iMac running NI Maschine ableton 8 and loads of plug ins
Novation remote SL 37 and SL zero for control of DAW etc
Elektron machinedrum
Dave smith mopho keyboard
Waldorf blofeld
Alesis ion
C64 running Mssiah
DMG gameboy running LSDJ

In this set up everything more or less has a purpose and the purpose of the mopho is the fact that its analog and has a lot of modulation...I use it for basic analog sounds(raw saw or square wave w/glide, basic filter sweep leads etc), analog blips and bloops, drones and sequences weird sounds and everything in between
But the modular I'm going to build will be capable of all that and a whole lot more plus I don't really care about patch storage so out of the gear I have, if I HAD to sell something I think the mopho is probably the most redundant next to a halfway decent modular synth the other option was to sell the Ion...what do you guys think?
numan7
i rather like the ion's wheels and keys. so i'd probably sell the mopho.

cheers
James Mandible
I sold a Mopho desktop and a Miniak (same sound engine as Ion) shortly after I went modular. Now I'm pretty much just doing modular + Largo + samples, I really don't miss either the Mopho or the Miniak and don't find myself ever wishing I had more sound sources. YMMV I guess, but really I'd suggest selling both.
Hainbach
Sold my my Mopho for modules, too. Never missed it a single day.

You will probably sell the Ion, too, after spending time with the modular. It tends to suck up all your attention.
matthewsavant
Hahaha aw man this forum is the worst! Now I'm seriously considering selling both and already am planning what I'd add via the euro rack planner if I did hyper
...now if I could only find someone to buy my soul then maybe I can add another row to my modular
Suburban Bather
If you're using your modular to make drones and or blippy bloopy random noise patches, keep the mopho. Otherwise, its pretty much a wasted effort to sell or trade a synth like the mopho for more modules. Just my 2cents thumbs up
matthewsavant
Suburban Bather wrote:
If you're using your modular to make drones and or blippy bloopy random noise patches, keep the mopho. Otherwise, its pretty much a wasted effort to sell or trade a synth like the mopho for more modules. Just my 2cents thumbs up

I was thinking the modular would cover both blip bloop random noise/drones and all the basic classic mono synth sounds...rendering the mopho useless to me
Audio Dependent
The mopho has 2 oscs, 4 lfos, 3 adsrs, 4 16 step sequencers, vcas, mixer, sub oscs, etc. That's a lot of modules!!
aksen
isn't it all going to depend on what sort of music you're producing/what sort of sounds you're after?

all my fixed architecture synths have been bought after i started the modular. patching and using the modular for relatively simple mono synth duties is something i generally avoid - i want to use it for things that are hard to do with fixed architecture devices (or when i can't be bothered patching up a simple bass patch for example). both have a place in my studio.

having said that...out of the gear you own, i'd probably offload the ion. the blofeld can cover what it does, while the mopho is an actual analogue. but that's just my preference Guinness ftw!
lvoemachine
i thought i could do without my mopho once i went modular, sold it and bought it back 3 weeks later. I however haven't bought and ion or a blofeld. The reason being that the sound of the mopho is really quite different from my modular and it's just easy to get a sound up and running, and it has an arpeggiator. I mean, you'd get like what, 2 or 3 modules? I personally will do my best to never be without a mopho. It's so flexible and easy to program, i'd be lost without it. I thought even having that AND a six trak would be overkill, but damn, even they both have a spot. The fact that you can go 2 or 4 pole filter on the mopho makes it super flexible, sonically. Also, it was one of my first synth purchases so the interface for me is second nature at this point.

BUT, you may love something else you have that much more. For the size and the price, not much else packs as much of a punch.
Backroads
I had a Mopho module and keyboard, sold the module, bought a modular. I say keep the MoPho over the Ion, hands down.
Suburban Bather
aksen wrote:
isn't it all going to depend on what sort of music you're producing/what sort of sounds you're after?

patching and using the modular for relatively simple mono synth duties is something i generally avoid - i want to use it for things that are hard to do with fixed architecture devices (or when i can't be bothered patching up a simple bass patch for example). both have a place in my studio.

Type of music is a huge factor. However, it would be wrong to say you can't use a modular for certain types of music. Unless its not supposed to include electronic instruments. It comes down to preference in the end. What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander hihi

I sold my euro system specifically because I kept finding myself making mono synth patches. Also, I got sick and tired of constantly selling/trading modules. Not everyone has the module gas problem, but I sure did. I make poor attempts at producing industrial and techno, but dammit its fucking fun as hell anyways w00t I also like doing the drone and random noise thing as well. With that said, my solution was to sell the euro crack, keep my Wretch Machine(semi-modular,) buy an FR XS(semi-modular,) analogue sequencer for the Wretch and XS, and a Tempest, which is pretty much a self contained modular groove box.
matthewsavant
Thanks for the input guys it definitely helped..
The point about the mopho having so many features and equating it to a lot of modules did help put it in perspective also using the mopho for all the 'basic/classic' synths sounds as well would both not be such a pain in the ass and make it so I can build the modular with more 'out there' modules

So I've decided against selling either for the time being, I really should buy the modular before I make that call...if my other synths start collecting dust then maybe I'll sell something for more modules
lvoemachine
Yeah go six months and see what gets things done. I traded mine when I got a tetra but I ended up missing the interface. It does classic but also a kind of weird that suits the modular really well and still manages to be different. Also having a good knobby monosynth is invaluable. Plus the key action is my fav. Plus now that I do more modular work I feel like I really get the most out of the mopho.
aksen
Suburban Bather wrote:
aksen wrote:

patching and using the modular for relatively simple mono synth duties is something i generally avoid - i want to use it for things that are hard to do with fixed architecture devices (or when i can't be bothered patching up a simple bass patch for example). both have a place in my studio.

Type of music is a huge factor. However, it would be wrong to say you can't use a modular for certain types of music.

oh yes, definitely - that's not what i meant. what i was getting as was if you're reguarly patching up simple monosynth-style patches in the sort of music you're doing, then holding onto the mopho to do that instead isn't a bad idea. didn't mean to imply that the modular can't be used for any and all types of music smile if i'm after a relatively basic bass sound, i'm going to head to the mopho (or little phatty...or too many other fixed architecture synths that i own) and leave the modular for a more esoteric sound.
1986Bowler
Love my Mopho and Tetr4. I want to get into modular too, but I think I would still keep the other stuff- but who knows?

I just hate selling stuff and then regretting it.
I miss a lot of my old crappy synths even though I know there wasn't really a point to keeping them.

Buy what you want first- if something starts collecting dust, then take a hard look at it and decide.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1