MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

moog ringmod vs. murf?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author moog ringmod vs. murf?
booger
i've been thinking about picking up a new moogerfooger. the murf and ringmod both have caught my attention. i tend to make rhythm oriented music and would probably use this to effect my drums/percussion. the murf really looks interesting but seems like it might get stale once i've used it a few times. ringmods also seem cool but i've only really heard them used for tremolo effect on guitars. any suggestions?
felix
If you are using it effect percussive material, I would suggest the ringmod.

Because the MURF itself has a sequencer (and also can create percussive filter sounds), it may not have a very dramatic effect to percussive material. Big drones, pads, noise, guitar, stuff with a handful of harmonics, no problem. I would imagine percussion might not yield as cool of a result.

Ring mod will make anything you feed into it sound magically "electronic". It's a very fun effect and will make a very cool tremolo. It makes a pretty interesting sounding distortion at very low audio rates (ie, super fast tremolo). Plus, it also has an LFO, which can be patched out to other foogers (or CV-able device) as well.
Bricks
I LOVE the sound of the moog ringmod.

maybe its just the overdrive circuit built in... but something about it seems more buttery than others I've used (dalek, moddemod, lovetone ring stinger)
rezzn8r
Bricks wrote:
I LOVE the sound of the moog ringmod.

maybe its just the overdrive circuit built in... but something about it seems more buttery than others I've used (dalek, moddemod, lovetone ring stinger)

I think the term 'buttery' can be used to describe almost all the 'foogers. w00t

you might want to consider the phaser for animating drums
booger
Quote:
I think the term 'buttery' can be used to describe almost all the 'foogers.

i have the lp filter and am very happy.

Quote:
you might want to consider the phaser for animating drums

is the moog phaser all that for the price? the mxr 90 and electro-harmonix small stone seem nice (and a lot cheaper). they don't have the same modular interface capabilities but i don't run a modular rig anyway.

thoughts on the sound...?
rezzn8r
booger wrote:
thoughts on the sound...?

I like the sound and the cv capabilities. Here's an example, albeit noise through delay and phaser instead of drums

checkout how the thingamakit resonds to the IF beam from the nightvision camera hyper
booger
i went with the mxr phase 90. (still have enough for a mf ringmod, though ;-)
haiku-ish
ring mod !
ring mod !
ring mod !
ring mod !
ring mod !
ring mod !
Cat-A-Tonic
If you are going to go for the MuRF I would steer you towards the bass version.
The regular is nice, but it really cuts off the low end.
I suppose if you have the LP filter too then you can parallel process and make up for the loss of bass in the standard MuRF.

A self-resonating MuRF can be good for bird chirp patterns.
The drive on the MuRF is also 'buttery'

I use a Blacet Klangwerk for my ringmod needs.
For the amount of money you would have to drop to get a Moogerfooger you could start a modular.
The Klangwerk kit is $167, and is a limited item at this point.
richard
ringmod, bassmurf and phaser are all way better than they seem on paper, they basically make any old digital shit sound like tasty anaogue, even the level controls are pure moog cream and are fx in themselves (less so on the murfs)

the murfs are much underrated - you have to dig in deep and really understand play them to get the best out of them, i agree the bass version is much better for synths

the ringmod is the smoothest \i've used, with "hidden" features, like overdrive/distortion, VC tremelo, vco out etc

- the fake stereo (phase reversed) aspect of the phaser is pretty much massive - i never thought i woud buy a phaser again but when I heard it \i just had to - the only other one i would think about is the cwejman which is a very, very different sound to the moog

blah blah, what was the question again?

r
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1