MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Need the pin-out for a Tenori-on MIDI cable
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On  
Author Need the pin-out for a Tenori-on MIDI cable
ersatzplanet
I recently got a used Tenori-on without the MIDI cable. They use a mini-DIN to fan out to dual MIDI females (in and out). The Tenori-on store doesn't sell them and I can't seem to find them anywhere on the net. And nobody who seems to own one has ever posted the pinout on the Tenori-on forums - even though there seems to be a fairly big need for it. I met a gent on the net who sent a old cable of his to me but it seems to have gotten lost in the post (or mail from Europe to the US takes a very long time- which may be the case) so in the meantime can someone who owns a cable PLEASE send me a pinout of the thing? The box has some cute sounds but my rig wants to be controlled by it!
-James
dubchild
If you email or call the Tenori-on distributer in Santa Cruz, they will send you one, maybe for free. I was in the same boat.
Kent
I managed to get a copy of the schematic and pinout from Yamaha. I sent it to James and am posting it here for posterity and with the permission of Yamaha.

Vcs3
Isn't it the same MIDI-cable as for the SW1000XG?

http://www.ds2416.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=177
ritchiedrums
If someone is making cables, please PM me.
I will gladly pay for one....

Thanx!! Guinness ftw!
Fleggy
ritchiedrums wrote:
If someone is making cables, please PM me.
I will gladly pay for one....

Thanx!! Guinness ftw!

Did you find a midi cable yet Ritchie? I am asking as I recently sold a Tenori-On and the new owner is also looking for one.

Why are these cables so rare? It seems if someone did a short run of 50 or so they would sell no problem.
Paranormal Patroler
If you'll excuse me I'll just leave this here:

http://www.thomann.de/gr/yamaha_tenori_on_midi_ersatzkabel.htm

If you buy me a spare I'll ship it over to you guys overseas applause razz
Fleggy
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
If you'll excuse me I'll just leave this here:

http://www.thomann.de/gr/yamaha_tenori_on_midi_ersatzkabel.htm

If you buy me a spare I'll ship it over to you guys overseas applause razz

Ah cheers Paranormal Patroler I will pass this onto the new owner. It's motherfucking bacon yo
hey thanks for the pinout Kent

I think Im gonna try a long "in only" cable for sync - no adapter needed
ritchiedrums
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1419928#1419928
would a single bi-directional Tnr/USB midi cable be possible?
ersatzplanet
10011001 wrote:
would a single bi-directional Tnr/USB midi cable be possible?

Since the Tenori-On doesn't use USB at all I doubt that would be possible. The connector at the TO end is a S-video style connector, the other end is two standard 5-pin din connectors. No need for a host computer. You of course can wire the DIN ends to be whatever kind of a connection you want to your MIDI interface, but it still comes out as two separate MIDI paths, an In and an Out.
I was just thinkin' midi is serial - just like USB
and the tenori has midi in and out on the same port - just like USB

so, how is midi over USB different from old fashioned DIN midi (other than being bi-directional)?
ersatzplanet
10011001 wrote:
I was just thinkin' midi is serial - just like USB
and the tenori has midi in and out on the same port - just like USB

so, how is midi over USB different from old fashioned DIN midi (other than being bi-directional)?

Quite a bit actually. USB MIDI usually requires a host - a computer or something that converts the USB data stream into MIDI. Since USB is a protocol that can carry everything from a mouse's commands to a hard drive, the host does the data parsing to the format the program using the USB connection can deal with. Much like ethernet can carry all sorts of data but you need a computer to translate it. MIDI that is on a 5-pin DIN connector is only MIDI and nothing else. Even sysex is still the midi protocol and will pass. Thusly you can connect any 5-pin MIDI out to a 5-pin MIDI in and things will usually work (channels have to be matched etc but it usually will work fine). This is why you typically can't just plug a USB MIDI controller keyboard into a USB MIDI>CV converter, neither are smart enough to parse the data, you need a computer in between unless you spend the extra for a stand alone USB host like the Kenton one - http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml
thanks, even I could understand your explanation.

bummer though

>> you typically can't just plug a USB MIDI controller keyboard into a USB MIDI>CV converter

I was not aware of this, never tried
ltm
2 pictures with pin-outs (can't remember where i downloaded these):
mckenic
applause

Bloody BRILLIANT to have this pic available for future need!!!
widdly
I just bought a second hand Tenori-on. It came with a DIY midi cable that didn't work because they had swapped pin 4 and 5 on both in and out connectors. I swapped them back and it works fine now. My cable has neither of the shields (the middle pin on the in and out) connected and it still works.

According to the midi spec you shouldn't connect pin 2 (shield connection) on the midi in anyway.
Rigo
Bought a Tenori-On today, midi cable is still missing ... but the previous owner will still look for it (lots of things misplaced when moving).
But the replacement cable is still for sale at Thomann w00t

Now I should download the manual for easy searching on the PC, and the latest firmware as it's still 1.0 if I saw that correctly.
Rigo
Upgraded to V2.1, looked for an audio cable ... and also found a fitting midi cable. Which in my case can only come from the SW1000XG, as mentioned in a previous post.
Tried it a bit, until my daughter (8yo) took over. That will be the biggest issue anyway hihi
Paranormal Patroler
Thankfully I never had an issue with my TO cables yet. I do think ritchiedrums had a couple for sale so you can ask him if those are still available. Maybe I should buy two myself just in case.
rastko
hi,

thomann sales this cable.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_tenori_on_midi_ersatzkabel.htm
Paranormal Patroler
Still available huh? I definitely need to buy a few. Thanks!
confusedmachine
ltm wrote:
2 pictures with pin-outs (can't remember where i downloaded these):

Thank you, this is super useful!
Luap
The new Yamaha Reface series appear to use exactly the same Midi cable..
It certainly looks identical anyway.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On  
Page 1 of 1