MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

HELP: Wiard / Blacet PS stream line
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author HELP: Wiard / Blacet PS stream line
revmutt
My system is about two rows of 1200, 2 rows of 300 and a controller. it's all running on three power supplies. I'd like to keep using the Blacet PSCONN2 for buses because they are convenient and already here.

Can anyone recommend a single PS. Preferable one that is more or less idiot proof and can handle the current load. I don't even know what to look for so either an actual model or specifics would be very helpful.
Randaleem
revmutt wrote:
My system is about two rows of 1200, 2 rows of 300 and a controller. it's all running on three power supplies. I'd like to keep using the Blacet PSCONN2 for buses because they are convenient and already here.

Can anyone recommend a single PS. Preferable one that is more or less idiot proof and can handle the current load. I don't even know what to look for so either an actual model or specifics would be very helpful.

Hi RevMutt,
The 1.5Amp and 3Amp on this page are commonly used in synths. The smaller and larger are alos good for synths, but likely fall outside of what you're needing. Get the info here, try an ebay search on Power one, and look for the model number.

Condor is a competitor of Power one and makes equally good supplies.

Kind regards, Randal

http://www.power-one.com/cgi-bin/acdc_search.cgi?volts_1=15&volts_2=-1 5&ref=linear&lid=46454&LINEAR=f&x=68&y=13
panda30y
you would have to figure out the +mA power requirements of all the modules added together and then you will know what the amperage requirements are. If you could find someone to wire you up a new power supply that fulfills these requirement from a power one or condor PS, that would take care of you.

You could do it yourself, and it is easy, BUT I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU WIRING ONE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE OR IF YOU FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE SINCE YOU COULD BE DEALING WITH A LOT OF LIVE VOLTAGE. Perhaps someone can help you in your area?

As to a pre built power supply, the blacet provides 500mA. The dotcom and motm power supplies should work as well if they fit the power requirements, but you might have to get an 6->4 pin adaptor cable for the power cable to the psconn2.
plord
If you are patient, and you want an off the shelf solution, the only 15V power supplies out there in 1.5A and 3A variety that I know of are the Cyndustries Medium and Major PS. I have a Medium for each row of 14 modules in 300 format, and some PS-500s for the Frac/Klee/custom stuff.

The only problem with PS-500s is that I do not believe you can't daisy-chain them safely. I got MOTM power distro boards and have one connected to each Medium. works great.
mono-poly
Get a power one from ebay for a few bucks and regulate it to the right voltage.
Connect it to a distro board and enjoy the party.
DGTom
plord wrote:
The only problem with PS-500s is that I do not believe you can't daisy-chain them safely.

This is the issue I have waah If only the PS-500 was a PS-750 or even 600 I could power a 9U case off one... the really annoying thing is I'm only over 500 on the +ve rail!

I would grab a bunch of 1.5 Power Ones... shipping down here is a bitch tho, might be worth it if I got 6! :emptypockets:
NV
plord wrote:
If you are patient, and you want an off the shelf solution, the only 15V power supplies out there in 1.5A and 3A variety that I know of are the Cyndustries Medium and Major PS.

MOTM and Synthesizers.com also offer pre-built +/-15V Power One supplies that you can rig to any bus board with just a few modifications of the wires. They may even be willing to do the modifications for you if you ask.

While it is true that building your own supply or modifying an existing one can be dangerous, Power One, Condor, and International Power supplies are about as idiot proof as it gets. If you have soldered wires in the past and can use a multimeter, you can build a supply for a modular synthesizer. Just don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine (IE, don't solder or mess with wires while power is running through it, and stand back the first time you turn it on).

As for supply model numbers, they are very similar across the three brands I mentioned. All of the Power One model numbers in the link Randaleem provided are roughly the same for Condor and International Power. For example, anything beginning with HAD15, HAA15, HBB15, HCC15, or HDD15 will work. The numbers following (0.4-AG, 3-AG, etc) are designations showing the amount of amps it can provide (0.4, 3, etc) and the restrictions it falls under (AG). For example, some of the older models will just be A or A+ instead of AG, but they will all do the same thing in the same way.

To find the supply you want, just search for HCC15, HDD15, or whatever model you want in eBay. Blacet supplies put out 500mA, so if you are using three supplies an HCC15 model will work fine (it puts out 3 amps total, so roughly the equivalent of 6 Blacet supplies). So type in HCC15 as a search on eBay. Here are links to the four cheapest ones I found searching just now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/POWER-ONE-INTERNATIONAL-SERIES-POWE-SUPPLY-HCC15-3 -A_W0QQitemZ350220656084
http://cgi.ebay.com/POWER-ONE-HCC15-3-A-POWER-SUPPLY_W0QQitemZ29032854 6435
http://cgi.ebay.com/POWER-ONE-HCC15-3-A-POWER-SUPPLY_W0QQitemZ22044699 8890
http://cgi.ebay.com/POWER-ONE-POWER-SUPPLY-HCC15-3-A-NOS_W0QQitemZ2003 02361388

Most of the time they are used, but cleaning them up to look good as new takes only a few minutes. The last one I listed is a NOS (New Old Stock) model, which means it is old but never used. Age isn't an issue in these - I have multiple Power One, Condor, and International Power supplies scattered about my studio powering various things, and some of them are over 15 years old. They can sometimes be found even cheaper than this, such as when a large company cleans out a warehouse and sells 50 of them off at $5 each. However, if you're only needing one supply and aren't in the mood to wait indefinitely then buying one for ~$40 including shipping is still a solid price.
Randaleem
DGTom wrote:
If only the PS-500 was a PS-750 or even 600 I could power a 9U case off one... the really annoying thing is I'm only over 500 on the +ve rail!

Hi DGTom!

My new Universal800 PSU has 800w per rail. 120/240VAC, 12 or 15VDC. 99USD. Is designed to be panel mounted in Frac or Euro, but has mounting holes for behind panel mounting too! Has 12 .250 spade outputs to work with aybody's distros, including mine (no onboard distros; just the 12 spades). MOTM/Blacet and Doepfer/Asys styles are available at 25USD each (5 outputs each, but with a TRUE star layout.)

More to come. The website goes live this week for pre-ordering, and these PSU's and distros will be shipping in 2 weeks...

Kind regards, Randal
Randaleem
@NV: Great summary! thumbs up +1!

What he said! If you need a lot of current, aren't size or regulations restricted and can DIY, the approach laid out by NV is a great way to go!

Do want to comment on the age thing though: These supplies may have been lying around for years. Be kind to their old Capacitors and run them unloaded for awhile, adding modules over the course of a day or so... This allows the caps to reform, and you'll get better life and less ripple from them.

Another thing to watch for with these older linear supplies; again due to aged capacitors is increased ripple current. Not usually a problem, but can be tough to diagnose if you don't even know it possibly exists!

Kind regards, Randal
DGTom
Randaleem wrote:
My new Universal800 PSU has 800w per rail. 120/240VAC, 12 or 15VDC. 99USD.

MY ASS IS BLEEDING applause w00t

800 per rail is perfect, enough to cover 9U with plenty of room to breathe - and maybe enough for a little satillite controller style unit grin

Randaleem wrote:
(no onboard distros; just the 12 spades)

This I like! The connectors on the Blacet PSUs are a waste IMO, I want my PSU to be a brick with 2 cables hanging off it, an IEC from the wall & 1 (maybe 2) going into the modular case(s). The Bug Brand style PSU is ideal to me.

Not sure I follow 'panel mounting' are we talking front panel? or just the inside / backside of a cab. / case?

I hope your server is rady for when that website goes live Randal! I think its gonna get Muff Wiggled to bits!
Randaleem
DGTom wrote:
Randaleem wrote:
My new Universal800 PSU has 800w per rail. 120/240VAC, 12 or 15VDC. 99USD.
800 per rail is perfect, enough to cover 9U with plenty of room to breathe - and maybe enough for a little satillite controller style unit grin

Hi DGTom, Nice to hear this reaction! My PSU can be installed as a brick, 12HP euromodule(or frac) or inside/backside case mount like doepfer Blacet PS's. FWIW, I talked with Tom Bugs during the design phase and am using the same 3pin connectors for 15V. I'm using the 4pin version for 12V,5V DC distribution between cases. Or that "satellite" you mention... wink sounds like a mobilityPlus ribbon/joystick box to me hihi
So there's your 1 maybe 2 cables...

Quote:
I hope your server is ready for when that website goes live Randal! I think its gonna get Muff Wiggled to bits!

Thank you for the vote of confidence! We'll see how it goes. [/quote]Kind regards, Randal
plord
NV wrote:
plord wrote:
If you are patient, and you want an off the shelf solution, the only 15V power supplies out there in 1.5A and 3A variety that I know of are the Cyndustries Medium and Major PS.

MOTM and Synthesizers.com also offer pre-built +/-15V Power One supplies that you can rig to any bus board with just a few modifications of the wires. They may even be willing to do the modifications for you if you ask.
I forgot about dotcom, which does indeed make them that large. MOTM only goes to 800mA. Which is great, I have one of those too, but it's not enough for 14 Wiard modules smile
Roycie Roller
NV wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/POWER-ONE-POWER-SUPPLY-HCC15-3-A-NOS_W0QQitemZ2003 02361388

Thanks for the tip-off! I just scored this one, & shipping wasn't even too bad to Oz.
3 Amps of +/-15v for US$64 total (shipped). MY ASS IS BLEEDING
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1