MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

JP8 Filter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> AMSynths Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author JP8 Filter
dan_k
Thanks for the update Rob. Best of luck with the bugs and getting large scale production going.
RichMakeGame
cool smile I would buy another filter from you in a heartbeat (I own a mirage)- I need a variable type filter, 8060SE sounds like it's the one for me.. hope the production goes well!
Just ordered one of these looking forward to it applause Now i've got a problem, too many filters, not enough oscillators(I've only got 4 oscs, but filters: dual borg, borg 2, boogie, plague bearer, vcf303, now this at 7 lol). Looking forward to it very much.

All of the AMS stuff seems very interesting. I loved the Jup8 filter, sounded amazing through quadraverb gt. I'm hoping this is comparable.

A question for anyone in the states. How long did shipment take for you to get? I'm moving in a few weeks, and trying to see if I will get it in time. hmm.
LoveBot
I received mine very promptly... faster than AH shipments! This is because of the air mail requirements for shipping from the UK perhaps? seriously, i just don't get it
Most excellent, hopefully it'll come before my move w00t w00t w00t my birthday present for myself w00t w00t w00t
Jop
PCB's are in stock (only 4). Grabbed one myself, looking forward in building and using..... It's peanut butter jelly time!
ele
Will the JP8 filter be available again?
cane creek
Ive just ordered PCB Kit & Panel,

Now gonna sit on it until a IR3109 turns up.
duff
cane creek wrote:
Ive just ordered PCB Kit & Panel,

Now gonna sit on it until a IR3109 turns up.

I waited until I had an IR3109 before I picked up the PCB and Panel - but someone bought the last one...
cane creek
duff wrote:
but someone bought the last one...

duff
Turn out stock of the panels did exist w00t

Now to try and remove those IR3109s from the PH2 I picked up without any Dead Banana
cane creek
duff wrote:
Turn out stock of the panels did exist w00t

Now to try and remove those IR3109s from the PH2 I picked up without any Dead Banana

The PH-2 had no IR3109s in it ? Enlighten me, it had other chips in it or non at all ?
duff
cane creek wrote:
The PH-2 had no IR3109s in it ? Enlighten me, it had other chips in it or non at all ?

Reading my last post back I can see my use of an emoticon as a word leads to something of an ambiguous sentence.

The PH-2 has 2 chips in, but they are soldered straight to the board. Hence I need to remove at least one without it dying (I.e Dead Banana ). Not having desoldered a chip before this could be a challenge.
cane creek
Yes I was aware the chip are soldered to the board.

I was curious how easy they are to de-solder without damaging them.
duff
cane creek wrote:
I was curious how easy they are to de-solder without damaging them.

As I've only got a solder pump and an iron (and most of my destructive errors come when I need to de-solder) I went for a cut it out approach for the first one with no heat applied at any point.

The board cut away pretty easily with some side cutters and tended to fracture along the edges of chip which freed a couple of the legs with no effort at all. Some persistent nibbling around and between the other legs allowed the rest of the pcb to be removed. This left the legs intact with the old solder still stuck to them. I then used some needle nosed pliers to shape the old solder so I could cut it off with the side cutters.

This probably completely the wrong way of doing it, and I currently have no idea if it survived the ordeal, but here is the end result slotted in a socket.
Jop
Just finished the AM8109, two remarks for future builders:

* Don't use the pad connection on the PCB is you are building it for Euro. This PAD (Panel earth) is only connected to the Molex power connector, not to the Euro. Just tab ground from one of the pots for the jacks.

* In order to get a decent level of self oscillation R32 was changed from 30,1K to 22K (as per Rob's instructions).
cane creek
Thank you for the picture Jop thumbs up
I always feel more confident building when I have a populated boards to look at Mr. Green

I assume your mounting the panel differently to how AM mount it as AM usually solder pots to CV1 CV2 & Freq where as you soldered headers there instead.
Jop
Exactly how I feel, always good to have an extra check before doing something stupid (especially with polarized components)....

The AM8109 will be part of a custom semi modular synth I'm working on, mounting will be indeed different and is something I still need to look at. I have some mounting kits from Adafruit (1116) that could be good, still wish all boards do have at least two mounting holes.
duff
Is it safe to assume that pin 1 on the M5201L is the one on the left?

Jop
Thats correct duff, install with the logo facing C19.
duff
Jop wrote:
Thats correct duff, install with the logo facing C19.

Thanks, and it works. hyper

After mostly doing kits with panel mount components this was a bit more effort - my soldering to pots and jack skills are pretty awful - but well worth it in the end.
cane creek
Hey Duff,
A picture of your finished wiring would be a great help Mr. Green
duff
Here you go, it is a poor quality phone pic I'm afraid.

I wouldn't necessarily take this an a good example of how to do it either - I'm a learner!

It does sound nice. I quite liked the PH-2 when I tested it out so I felt a bit bad ripping it apart. But I am glad I did now.
cane creek
Thanks for the picture Duff much appreciated thumbs up
cane creek
Jop wrote:

* In order to get a decent level of self oscillation R32 was changed from 30,1K to 22K (as per Rob's instructions).

I'm not a big fan of self oscillation so I've left mine as it is, just waiting for 2 x Wima 100n caps then I'm done ill probably upload some pictures tomorrow.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> AMSynths Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3