MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Easy way to double trigger/gate voltages from Volta
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Easy way to double trigger/gate voltages from Volta
doctorvague
Based on early results it seems some folks are going to need a way to increase trigger and gate voltages coming from Volta to reliably trigger other devices. Here's an idea that doubles Volta's output voltage (hope this wasn't already suggested).

You need an Insert cable (TRS split out to 2 TS) and a CV mixer that has at least one 'attenuverting' input (knob that goes positive and negative). The tip carries the normal positive voltage from the Volta interface and the ring carries the inverse voltage (handy to know).

Plug the tip TS from the insert cable into a mixer channel and turn it all the way up, which is in most cases is unity gain. Let's say your interface puts out 2.6V so now the mixer is simply putting out 2.6V at unity. Now take the ring TS and plug into another channel and turn it all the way counterclockwise. You're simply inverting a negative signal back to positive and then adding another 2.6V and now should have 5.2 at the output of the mixer, which brings it into range of most modern analog equipment.

I checked this with a Blacet Mixer/Processor and it worked perfectly, in my case raising a 5V trigger to 10V. Just to see the limits I then multed the tip input (positive) to a third mixer channel and turned it all the way up and then get about 13.5V maximum, due to getting close to power supply rail voltage of 15V of the Blacet system.

You can also just mult the Trigger and send to multiple mixer channels all turned up to add voltages.
ndkent
If you have any DC capable mixer (not necessarily a "polarizing" one) couldn't you just as well keep multing your existing Volta out into 2 or more mixer ins? The mixer is buffered so it should just output the sum of the input channels up until a point (I suspect most or all mixers have a max voltage output).

It's good to know there is a neg volta output off the ring but I'm missing the point of why you need to use it here. Now your tests do give me a good idea that you can save an inverter if you are generating a Volta LFO or envelope and want an inverted copy of it (and don't have attenuverting modulation inputs on your modules)
doctorvague
ndkent wrote:
If you have any DC capable mixer (not necessarily a "polarizing" one) couldn't you just as well keep multing your existing Volta out into 2 or more mixer ins? The mixer is buffered so it should just output the sum of the input channels up until a point (I suspect most or all mixers have a max voltage output).

It's good to know there is a neg volta output off the ring but I'm missing the point of why you need to use it here. Now your tests do give me a good idea that you can save an inverter if you are generating a Volta LFO or envelope and want an inverted copy of it (and don't have attenuverting modulation inputs on your modules)

You're totally right, the mult idea is simpler, I was just trying to do it with 1 module instead of 2. And yeah, the idea of having instant inverted signals being just a cable swap away (and no modules required) is a very cool Volta bonus!

BTW, everyone needs some of these handy IMO

1nput0utput
doctorvague wrote:
the idea of having instant inverted signals being just a cable swap away (and no modules required) is a very cool Volta bonus!

To be more correct, it's due to the audio interface's balanced analog outputs. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Volta. If you're using an interface with unbalanced, DC-coupled analog outputs, the inverted signal will not be available because there's no balancing amp before the output.
bar|none
Umm, ok so I'm about to build my Volta breakout box. I have my DB25 and a bunch of 1/8" female jacks.

If I wanted to have 8 x 1/8" jacks Normal polarity and 8 x 1/8" jacks Inverse polarity, would it be as simple as wiring the inverted jacks to the ring/sleeve?

Ultralite Mk3 BTW.
doctorvague
bar|none wrote:
Umm, ok so I'm about to build my Volta breakout box. I have my DB25 and a bunch of 1/8" female jacks.

If I wanted to have 8 x 1/8" jacks Normal polarity and 8 x 1/8" jacks Inverse polarity, would it be as simple as wiring the inverted jacks to the ring/sleeve?

Ultralite Mk3 BTW.

I'm not familiar with that particular interface, but as long as the outputs are balanced outs, the answer is yes.
1nput0utput
bar|none wrote:

Ultralite Mk3 BTW.

Yes, exactly. You would have a pair of jacks for each balanced analog output. The non-inverted signal would be wired ULmk3 output tip to TS tip, sleeve to sleeve. The inverted signal would be wired ULmk3 output ring to TS tip, sleeve to sleeve.
bar|none
Sweet! That is huge. Since I have some gear that needs negative and this will save having to go through my model 14.

Also killer for inverting ramps etc.

I already put in two rows of 8 jacks and was going to mult the pairs, but this is far better.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1