MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

stupid, stupid, stupid question (sorry)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author stupid, stupid, stupid question (sorry)
vav
K some i'm putting together a circuit, and i'm using this:

When soldering everything together, do i need to solder 2 components together (like an IC pin and a wire) to make the connection, or will the "traces" connect as long as it's on the same row?

again, sorry Dead Banana
panda30y
it's a perf board, so there shouldn't be any traces. Everything should be wired together on the back.
vav
panda30y wrote:
it's a perf board, so there shouldn't be any traces. Everything should be wired together on the back.

So i'm correct then...in order to connect an IC pin to, say, a wire, just blob some solder between two pads to connect them? 'Cause i cant fit both through the same pad hole.
Uncopyrightable
crappy example, but an example nonetheless

You can make traces with solder, or wire. GOnna be messy a bit like that example.
Hi5
radio shack also has some boards that follow your typical breadboard format with rows of 5 position already linked together with power rails on each side.
this way you wont need all the wiring on the bottom. might make your design a little bigger but i cut the board to size if needed. if you want something a bit better quality and allows for more complex designs check out http://onepasinc.com/bonnie/p2.html. recently got some of these and they are a lot better than the radio shack ones. easier to solder up and with additional rows on each side it is easier to build with transistors especially. plus they are out in the burbs of chicago.
vav
koura wrote:
radio shack also has some boards that follow your typical breadboard format with rows of 5 position already linked together with power rails on each side.
this way you wont need all the wiring on the bottom. might make your design a little bigger but i cut the board to size if needed. if you want something a bit better quality and allows for more complex designs check out http://onepasinc.com/bonnie/p2.html. recently got some of these and they are a lot better than the radio shack ones. easier to solder up and with additional rows on each side it is easier to build with transistors especially. plus they are out in the burbs of chicago.

Ohh, i love it! Thanks!
Hi5
what you makin?
vav
koura wrote:
what you makin?

Adding the discrete gate circuit to the Voice of Saturn Sequencer.

link is here: http://curiousinventor.com/forums/7/threads/999

I just finished soldering it all up. Foolish me, though, i used an LED on step 5 as the power point, so now the LED flashes along with the clock and, while it does indeed output discrete gates now, step 5 now continually fires, which is great for the Techno Octave Bounce (tm), but not much else.

d'oh!
panda30y
Very cool. Let us know how everything is once you fix step 5.
DGTom
nice link koura! I was just thinking the other day, whilst cutting traces, there must be a better kind of proto-board out there!

vav, you mean you don't want 'Techno Octave Bounce' !?!
I would fix step 5 & have a seperate output specifically for 'Techno Octave Bounce' hihi
Hi5
yeah, with the one pas boards it is a lot less hassle to put things together that you can't get in a pre-printed board already. i just finished a pedal interface for some pc car racing pedals and my plan c model 9 copy essentially. the proto boards are a bit more money but with the ones you can break into three separate pieces I end up not going through as many since I can scale the board to each project. up next, quadruple event-pulse width-comparator!

I recently had the realization that many modules I previously wanted to buy are really not that difficult to build at home for less than $20. no fancy panels outside of aluminum with sharpie on them but better than spending $100s. Now i need to start building replicas of some the modules I have to fund buying more vco!!!

vav, good luck with the diy! getting hard to stay inside these days in chicago!
DGTom
koura wrote:
up next, quadruple event-pulse width-comparator!

srlsy is my webcam on!?! WTF I don't have a webcam! What design are you using? schems. or it didn't happen grin

koura wrote:
I recently had the realization that many modules I previously wanted to buy are really not that difficult to build at home for less than $20.

What a great moment that was for me! I swear I heard my bank account breathe a sigh! Once it clicks its just a matter of what to build first.
Hi5
it is just a quad comparator with the threshold under vc and a pot as well. this way you can have set thresholds for a plan b style event timer or feed a varying voltage to thresh for a pwm. ill have the inputs normalized so that a single input can chain to each stage or be used independently. i can scan a hand drawn schemo but it really is just 4 comparators. simple but flexible.
vav
koura wrote:
yeah, with the one pas boards it is a lot less hassle to put things together that you can't get in a pre-printed board already. i just finished a pedal interface for some pc car racing pedals and my plan c model 9 copy essentially. the proto boards are a bit more money but with the ones you can break into three separate pieces I end up not going through as many since I can scale the board to each project. up next, quadruple event-pulse width-comparator!

I recently had the realization that many modules I previously wanted to buy are really not that difficult to build at home for less than $20. no fancy panels outside of aluminum with sharpie on them but better than spending $100s. Now i need to start building replicas of some the modules I have to fund buying more vco!!!

Easy now. Girlfriend spent all morning yammering about going to the beach. I told her i wanted to stay in and solder. She pulled the "you never do anything" card, i went to the beach.

I now have sunburn on my legs angry
panda30y
vav wrote:
koura wrote:

Easy now. Girlfriend spent all morning yammering about going to the beach. I told her i wanted to stay in and solder. She pulled the "you never do anything" card, i went to the beach.

I now have sunburn on my legs angry

hihi Pale white man burn very easy. Dead Banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1