MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

mtg. holes for STS M-odules and shop panels? New cases 4U!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author mtg. holes for STS M-odules and shop panels? New cases 4U!
Randaleem
Hi serge/4U fans,

I'm putting together some 4U Serge-capable ATAcases for you guys. I need to be sure I've got the panel mounting holes correct.

Could you measure yours and let me know? I think the holes are 1/4" in from the panel edges? Horizontally, what are they?

Thank you so much for ANY replies ! I'll be able to measure one in person sometime later this week, but I really could use the information sooner if possible? Help me help you...

Here's why: How does 2 rows of Euro/ bugbrand and 2 panels of STS (or 4 M-odules) in a folding case 13"d x 22"w x 6"h sound? It opens like a moog sonic 6 or a fender guitar case. Flat or angled. Separate-able halves. Rounded aluminum shells, rounded wood ends,; halliburton zero-case like. This meets the strictest ATA carry on requirements. I'm doing a similar Four4U panel folding case too. That one is 14-1/2" x 22" x 6".So it meets the general ATA 45" rule, but not the 14" *desired* dimension.

Buchla and/or serge are possible/capable in either case.! comments invited.

Kind regards, Randal
HexEnduction
Do you mean the holes on the boat's? hmmm.....

Any pictures of the prototype available yet? I already ordered a case from Rex but this one you're describing sounds really interesting.
Randaleem
HexEnduction wrote:
Do you mean the holes on the boat's? hmmm.....

Any pictures of the prototype available yet? I already ordered a case from Rex but this one you're describing sounds really interesting.

Hi Hex!
I mean the layout of the holes in the front panel(s) which mount it/them to the boat. If you want to include the location of the rack ear mount holes in a reply, that would be useful too!

*Lucky7* Prototype shells are sitting on a workbench waiting for this answer... Am planning to post an ATA series cases *Family* pic this week. Includes the 4+3, which will show how the 4+4 will look.

Kind regards, Randal
HexEnduction
Randal-

OK,it's about .5 cm or ~ .19685 inches.

I don't have the rack ears on either of my boats so I guess we need someone else to reply on that one. Can't wait to see the pics of this! thumbs up
Randaleem
HexEnduction wrote:
Randal-OK,it's about .5 cm or ~ .19685 inches.
I don't have the rack ears on either of my boats so I guess we need someone else to reply on that one. Can't wait to see the pics of this! thumbs up

Hi Hex, Thank you. I think the actual dimension may be .188" (4.75mm)
Does that seem possible?

As for not having the rack ears; that's okay. Do you have two holes in each end of your boats to attach them, if you wanted to? The distance between these two holes and how far they are from the panel plane are two useful dimensions, if you have the holes?

Thank you again! I think you're going to like these two additional ways to house STS/serge and Buchla modules!

Kind regards, Randal
HexEnduction
Finally found the measuring tape! I was using this stupid little CM ruler before...

Yeah, .188 looked about right.

It's 5" from rack hole to rack hole.

Just under 1" from rack hole to boat edge...would probably be 1" with the flange.
Randaleem
HexEnduction wrote:
Finally found the measuring tape! I was using this stupid little CM ruler before...
Yeah, .188 looked about right. It's 5" from rack hole to rack hole.
Just under 1" from rack hole to boat edge...would probably be 1" with the flange.

Thank you Hex! thumbs up we're not worthy

Was it .188 on the panel or boat? Because the boat is slightly less than 7", correct? Might be easier and more accurate to measure from the top panel screw head to the bottom. Then we can Subtract this from 7 and divide the result by two to get edge distance.

One last dimension? From your nook pic I couldn't tell if you had 2.5" or 4.5" deep boats? Is this their outside or inside dimension? That's the last of 'em, I think confused

Thank you again for taking the time to measure these for me/us! we're not worthy

Kind regards, Randal
HexEnduction
HexEnduction
Randaleem wrote:

Was it .188 on the panel or boat? Because the boat is slightly less than 7", correct? Might be easier and more accurate to measure from the top panel screw head to the bottom. Then we can Subtract this from 7 and divide the result by two to get edge distance.

One last dimension? From your nook pic I couldn't tell if you had 2.5" or 4.5" deep boats? Is this their outside or inside dimension? That's the last of 'em, I think confused

Thank you again for taking the time to measure these for me/us! we're not worthy

Kind regards, Randal

The .188 was just the boat by itself, I have the right half of my boat vacant so I used that side. The boat I have is the 2.5 low profile. Hope this helps. Cheers! thumbs up
Randaleem
HexEnduction wrote:
The .188 was just the boat by itself, I have the right half of my boat vacant so I used that side. The boat I have is the 2.5 low profile. Hope this helps. Cheers! thumbs up

Nice pic! Very clear! applause Thank you!

Any chance you could do this one? hyper :
Randaleem wrote:
Might be easier and more accurate to measure from the top panel screw head to the bottom. Then we can Subtract this from 7 and divide the result by two to get edge distance.

IOW, Measured On the panel. From center of top mounting screw to center of bottom mounting screw. (We can see the heads of these screws which hold the panel to the boat in the pic you posted.) You could measure the open boat instead, but getting an accurate measurement between two threaded holes is harder than measuring from installed screwhead to screwhead.

If I've surpassed my limit for "could you measure this for me?", I understand!

Kind regards, Randal
HexEnduction
It's 0.375" from the center hash of the screw to the edge of the boat. Just a touch shy of a centimeter. Although my math teacher wife says "one centimeter would be a closer approximation than .375 inches because of the measuring tape"

hmmm.....

Anyone else want to double check my work?
pickleinn
randaleem,

i am really looking forward to seeing what you have to offer!

I too just ordered the MCASE from rex, but that doesnt mean there isnt room for more.

Ryan
Randaleem
HexEnduction wrote:
It's 0.375" from the center hash of the screw to the edge of the boat. Just a touch shy of a centimeter.

Hi Hex,
Thank you again.
What about from top screw to bottom screw? That's a bigger measurement and easier because it's between two rounds, and the eye can spot where the ruler touches the edge of the two circles of the screw heads... IOW, your wife will approve! hihi

@pickleinn: That's the spirit! I think they are different enough that both will complement each other.

Kind regards, Randal
HexEnduction
Randaleem wrote:
HexEnduction wrote:
It's 0.375" from the center hash of the screw to the edge of the boat. Just a touch shy of a centimeter.

Hi Hex,
Thank you again.
What about from top screw to bottom screw? That's a bigger measurement and easier because it's between two rounds, and the eye can spot where the ruler touches the edge of the two circles of the screw heads... IOW, your wife will approve! hihi

@pickleinn: That's the spirit! I think they are different enough that both will complement each other.

Kind regards, Randal

Ummm...I think you lost me now. Top screw to bottom screw? hmmm.....
Randaleem
HexEnduction wrote:
Randaleem wrote:
What about from top screw to bottom screw? That's a bigger measurement and easier because it's between two rounds, and the eye can spot where the ruler touches the edge of the two circles of the screw heads... IOW, your wife will approve! hihi Randal

Ummm...I think you lost me now. Top screw to bottom screw? hmmm.....

The length of the white line here, between the screws pointed to by the black arrows.

Kind regards, Randal
HexEnduction
Ahhh, yes. That makes sense.

It's 6.5"
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1