MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best Transformer / DI
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Best Transformer / DI
b3nsf
Jensen tramsformers

The Brick

Avalon

what do you have? what's your fave? I almost bought a brick....
Kent
My current favorite, that works well on a multitude of items, is the discontinued Ampeg SVT DI. I also quite like the one that is in the Little Labs PCP distro.
bar|none
UA SOLO/610

For a bomber utility performance DI, some people swear by the Radial stuff.
parasitk
I have several DI's that I like to use: A-Designs REDDI, Phoenix Audio Nice DI, Tech 21 Sansamp ParaDriver, and the DI input on my Shadow Hills Mono Gama.

All the clips on my Virb page below use the SH Gama. The choice of "Steel" or "Nickel" transformers are subtle, but nice. I find the nickel to be a tad smoother, and steel a touch more aggressive. Discrete mode is also nice, albeit neutral sounding!

The Nice DI is just gorgeous. It really adds some magic to synths - it can even give some life and body to softsynths - I run Reaktor mangles (mostly drum and granular stuff) through it all the time, it it helps that stuff sit in the mix really nicely.

ParaDriver is fun for adding an ampy style grit. It's an effect, to be sure.

The REDDI is clean and open. Rounds out the bottom end really nicely. Can be fun in conjunction with the Gama, just watch your gain staging!

thumbs up
JohnLRice
Just FYI: this site has a ton of samples of basses being played through lots of different DIs/pres:
http://basstasters.com/preamps/

From what I remember the A-Designs REDDI was my favorite from listening to the samples.
haiku-ish
custom Tube DI + the country hick (DIY)
http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/countryhick/countryhick.htm
pickleinn
Radial JDI is what i have been using. I would recommend it to anybody.....have been using it on bass and synth mostly.

they also have a stereo version of the JDI which would be nice for synth too.
Babaluma
avalon u5 x 1 and avenson audio small d.i. x 4.

love them all!
DGTom
pickleinn wrote:
they also have a stereo version of the JDI which would be nice for synth too.

I use the stereo version & its just as lurverly! 10V into Jensen makes me happy.
Lyonel
Any good or bad advices or comments about the Avalon U5 ?
it seems to have also sympathetic options (High cut / Tone bank...), i am almost ready to buy two of this.
mono-poly
You guys use them with mixers?
Most soundcards got no xlr inputs imho.
Or am i missing something?
Kent
mono-poly wrote:

It seems that most Firewire and USB interfaces have mic pre-amps these day. Non, Monsieur Le Chef?
mono-poly
Yeah but most stuff not.
My card only got line inputs.
But maybe i should diy a few for between my soundcard and mixer.
Babaluma
Lyonel wrote:
it seems to have also sympathetic options (High cut / Tone bank...), i am almost ready to buy two of this.

i love it. it's nice to have line level as well as mic level out. hi pass filter is great, as are the passive eq options. sounds very pure. can't fault it in any way.

when it's used as just a clean d.i. with no tone shaping options, it sounds identical to my avenson audio small d.i.s, so if that's all you need you might want to consider those as they are way cheaper and smaller (you'll need to plug them into a decent mic pre with phantom power though).

i'm also going to use my avensons with my thermionic culture earlybird 2.2 pre when it arrives, as the earlybird has everything but instrument level inputs.
Lyonel
Domo arigato gozaimasu Babaluma-sama. smile
citizen mori
mono-poly wrote:
Yeah but most stuff not.
My card only got line inputs.
But maybe i should diy a few for between my soundcard and mixer.

yes, why not try it out, i think you will be happy with the results... spend well on the xformer, though, it is important.
mono-poly
I got a dozen spare ones from my mci parts collection.
I'll ask my tech to make a version off 8.
NV
Lyonel wrote:

I'm actually not a huge fan of the U5 in its raw form. What makes the U5 stand out are the tone bank selections which can act as a preset EQ stage in a snap. However, if you're planning on just DIing a signal without altering the timbre too much I think there are better options out there for the price. I actually prefer the DIs of many of my pres over the Avalon's raw output, and at the price and for my own uses I thought it was a better investment to either purchase a different dedicated DI or a full mic pre with a DI I was satisfied with. I personally prefer that an equalizer do the EQ thing and a DI just do the DI thing, but for those looking to maximize functionality in a compact package the U5 should satisfy.

For a completely dedicated DI the A-Designs REDDI is a wonderful choice. It does have a tendency to lend some subtle harmonics to a signal, which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you're using it for. With that in mind, I've yet to hear anything other than appreciation of the results of running a signal through the REDDI - the effect it has on the output compliments basses, guitars, and synthesizers quite nicely.
parasitk
mono-poly wrote:

I go straight into my AD converters (Cranesong HEDD), which is XLR.
Lyonel
NV wrote:
For a completely dedicated DI the A-Designs REDDI is a wonderful choice. It does have a tendency to lend some subtle harmonics to a signal, which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you're using it for. With that in mind, I've yet to hear anything other than appreciation of the results of running a signal through the REDDI - the effect it has on the output compliments basses, guitars, and synthesizers quite nicely.

Perhaps have you practice the D.W. Fearn VT3... do you think that the REDDI could be compared with it ?
D.W. Fearn's products are awesome but quite expensive.
Two REDDI : 1600€
D.W. FEARN VT3 (2 CH.) : 2100€
mono-poly
parasitk wrote:
mono-poly wrote:

I record most times with my Paris system witch a/d converters are hard to beat.
I heard a lot off modern d/a converters but none ever impressed me over my old Paris system.
thetwlo
I haven't compared many but the Jensens(in Radial JD-6) sound great with modulars.
I go: modular>Jensen(JD6)>Pre-amps (usually Chameleon 7602) or the pre in the Metric Halo ULN-8.
mmetlay
I am a big fan of the Radial stuff. I have a JDI Duplex that I carry with me to every gig because I never know when it'll come in handy.

Some people say that it's better to use an active DI for stuff with a lot of low end, in which case I give a thumbs up to the JDV and J48, also from Radial, depending on whether you want to use a battery or rely on phantom power.

mike
Mr. Green
Fnord
parasitk wrote:
mono-poly wrote:

How do you like the HEDD? I'm in the market for a new converter, and it's a tossup between that and the Burl. Is the processing worth the extra money? (In an ideal world, I'd get both, but that's just impractical at this time).
thetwlo
nothing against the HEDD, but I recall many have said the ULN-8 bested it in the shootouts. The ULN-8 is pretty amazing, some of the best DACS and Pres you'll find, the DI is amazing for guitar/bass not sure how well it's suited to synths. + the DSP... it's not cheap but people claim they are selling their Great River and Cranesong after getting it.
I'm selling a lot and just set this studio up again 4 months ago...damn!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3