MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

sequantiser gate outputs.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author sequantiser gate outputs.
chamomileshark
the manual says something about this but I've never really understood the diode isol;ated thing.

Grant said on the Yahoo group once "The Sequantizer gate outputs are diode isolated and designed to be connected together to form what is called a "wire-OR".

Can someone explain to me exactly what the patching is and what it achieves?

I have been sending off the gates to mixers previously.

thanks
rezzn8r
Usually it is a bad idea to use a mult to merge signals, but I think in this case it is ok to use the mult on the sequantizer to mix the gate outputs together.
sabasan
I think the most basic use is to put them on the multiplier and use the last output as a gate sequencer or pulse programmer
chamomileshark
ok - and I guess I can chain multipliers - ie three sequantiser gate outputs to the mult, mult out to another mult and add say another gate output and then take that frequency division off to somewhere else.
plord
Yes. The Sequantizer gate outs are protected by the diode so you can mult them out as much as you like without fear.

Grant has said elsewhere that the 300 series is [paraphrasing] "idiot-proof"-- you can connect anything to anything without fear, and experimentation is encouraged. The only possible exception to this might be the 20v p-p output of an oscillating Borg?
slow_riot
don't put a fixed voltage into the octave +/- inputs (and maybe slide?) on most Sequantizers except those made very recently. There isn't really thorough logic on them and at a certain level it causes oscillation and then death of a chip. This also happens if the sum of transpose and main output is negative by a certain amount.

This has now been fixed in most recent versions.
chamomileshark
slow_riot wrote:
don't put a fixed voltage into the octave +/- inputs (and maybe slide?) on most Sequantizers except those made very recently. There isn't really thorough logic on them and at a certain level it causes oscillation and then death of a chip. This also happens if the sum of transpose and main output is negative by a certain amount.

This has now been fixed in most recent versions.

Don't quite follow that - I used to put the output of the joystick into the + or - octave just to shift easily between octaves - shouldn't I do that? Also when you transpose from a keyboard isn't that also a fixed voltage?
slow_riot
make sure you don't leave it at the mid way point between on and off on those inputs.

Need to dig up the info I have but as far as I know there is a problem if the sum of the transpose and quantized outs is negative by a certain margin.
plord
Please post the info when you find it!
slow_riot
I was told by Graham Hinton the 4066 chip has no protection against negative net voltages, which I believe was what made it vulnerable in the problem where the octave logic oscillated and the chip got fried. And I believe this is what can be affected when putting a negative voltage into transpose in

On newer Sequantizers protection against this has been added. As well as some slight tweaking of the logic on these inputs, and with an offset trim.
Norman_Phay
I'm going to be hooking this up later this week. Should be fun (this is somewhat related to the thread title):

revmutt
Norman_Phay wrote:
I'm going to be hooking this up later this week. Should be fun (this is somewhat related to the thread title):

Nice. Tell us more
rico loverde
yes Mr Phay I really want to know more.
sabasan
eek! yes we want to know
Norman_Phay
It's basically just a switch matrix - the 8 gate/accent outs are connected vertically to the switches, while reset, slide, oct up and oct down are connected to horizontal busses. Basically it's so you can perform stuff on the fly which you'd otherwise have to put patchcords in and out for. The oct up/down switch is centre off. The 2 accent busses each go to their own socket so you can preset EG a filter or VCA accent, change in VCLFO speed, envelope decay change per step. The accents are actually much much more useful than I expected. I attached it to the sequantizer by soldering wires to the pads on the back of the patchbay, and running them to 2 x DIN sockets which I mounted on the underside of the metal case. I just tested it, and a small number of the switches seem to have been connected so it doesn't QUITE do what it's supposed to - certain combinations of slide and octave switch seem to change the seq length for some reason - I'll have to debug it, then I'll record some demos.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1