MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Volta Cubase setup
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Volta Cubase setup
auricle
Has anyone got Volta working inside Cubase using Kore?

If so, can you give me tips on how to set it up? I coming unstuck here.

Thanks.
Analog>Plugins
I'm just off to bed now but I will help out tomorrow.

I'm the guy who figured it out lol.

Night night
auricle
Cheers, mate! Mr. Green

Look forward to your instructions!
Analog>Plugins
Sorry dude I nearly forgot about this post.

I'll have to do this from memory as I deleted Mac Osx off my PC and back to good old XP SlayerBadger!

Basically all I did was to make sure all the sound cards connections were connected in Cubase 5 by going into the 'connections' menu (it should already be set up).

I used simple stereo and had 7 and 8 as my main stereo outputs for monitoring as you might need outputs 1 and 2 amplified (it's the only outputs on MOTU cards that are amplified). I did this because you get a much higher voltage for gates etc.

I launched Kore 1 (or 2 if you have it), into a midi track and assigned outputs 1 and 2 to Kores ouptut in Cubase 5 and for the input I had channel 1 which my Pro-1 output was going into.

I loaded Volta into Kore 1 as you can load Au plugins into it. Then if I remember you right click on the bit where volta was loaded into and go 'add an output' or something like that.

And that was basically it. I should have documented it better to be honest when I had it set up. Make sure that you go into calibration mode and set up a tone that the calibration can track easily, move the tuning on the analog synth and see if Volta can track it before you calibrate.

basically just mess around loading Volta into Kore, you'll get it in the end. If that doesn't work Bidule loads Au plugin.

Hope this helps, but then probably not as I'm doing it from memory.
auricle
Hi, sorry for the delay. I've just come back from a long trip (Lake Baikal in Siberia).

Thanks for the great reply. I'll check it out as soon as I can and report my findings.

By the way, why did you switch back to XP? You don't find a need for Volta anymore?
auricle
Hi,

I tried it out and I still couldn't get it to work. The problem is getting the audio input back into Volta for the calibration. I couldn't work it out from your explanation. Could you possibly clarify?
Analog>Plugins
I'll try... but I haven't used Volta for a while as I have sold it.

But my setup with Kore was that the output from the analog synth went nto input 1 on the soundcard. I think Kore defaults to that.

or maybe it was this........ load Kore up as an effect insert on a stereo audio channel. Then setup a midi channel and assign it to the kore plugin insert.

Launch Volta within Kore....right click on the output of Volta within Kore and go ...duplicate channel i think it's called.

That should work. But you have to have a constant tone coming from your synth for calibration to work.
auricle
Hi

I appreciate your help, really. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I still can't get it to work. Your idea of using it as an effects insert was a good one but I couldn't get a CV sent out of my Ultralite no matter what output I plugged it into.

I'll try with Bidule.

One of the problems is that Cubase doesn't support side-chain inputs unless it's on a VST3 plugin (which there aren't very many).

I'll also try asking on KVR.

Thanks again.
Analog>Plugins
When you have Kore loaded as an insert fx in a stereo audio track....make sure that the tracks audio outputs are say 2 and 3.

Double check that 2 and 3 outputs are going to the cv and gate of your synth. Set the synth patch up to do a drone i.e constant tone if possible.

Make sure your midi out on your midi track is assigned to Kore.

Have you checked in connections on Cubase that all your sound cards outs are actually connected?

Load up Volta inside of Kore as I mentioned previously. I managed to get it working just great with a Pro-1 and Odyssey, althought the Odyssey gate had to be triggered by the higher voltage output of the main 1 and 2 outputon my 2408mk3.

I don't have Volta any more as I use Expert Sleeper for the PC otherwise I'd do a little video of how to set it up. I did a video for expert sleeper which might help you.

Cubase CV Video
auricle
Hey, I watched your video, set up Volta within Kore as you instructed and IT WORKED!! Thanks for your help and patience!!

My last question is, I assume that because Kore2FX has only two output channels, I can only use two CV slots within Volta. Does that mean I'll have to have multiple instances of Volta running, each having two outputs to make full use of the 24 slots? (if that makes any sense).
Analog>Plugins
I think in the 'instrument' panel where you can load a vsti into the instrument rack (F11) there is the freeze buuton, power button and a little button that enables how many outputs you have on the vsti.

In Kontakt 3 I have to click this to enable the other outputs. I would have thought you do this with Kore then just duplicating outputs inside Kore to access the other outputs.

Then assign a different sound card output to each of the extra virtual outputs of Kore if that makes sense smile

Glad you got it working.
auricle
Thanks man,

I tried using Kore in a synth rack but I don't know how to route an audio signal to a virtual instrument. Is that possible?
os
Pretty sure that's not possible in Cubase. You can route MIDI to an effect slot though.
auricle
os wrote:
Pretty sure that's not possible in Cubase. You can route MIDI to an effect slot though.

You can but an effects slot can only have two outputs, so to use the eight outputs of my Ultralite I would need to use four instances of Volta and I can only use two slots for voice control
os
Time to bash Steinberg then. There are plenty of other host apps with more flexible plug-in handling.
auricle
Well, I like Cubase very much - the only problem for me is it's poor routing in VST2.4 plugins.

I do have Ableton Live which works perfectly with Volta - and I'm thinking of doing all my modular recording in Live and then exporting the audio to Cubase for final arranging and mixing but sometimes I would just prefer to do everything in Cubase.

If I can't get it to work how I want in Cubase, then I'll just grin and bear working in Live and exporting to Cubase.

Don't get me wrong, I like Live, but depending on what I'm writing, sometimes I prefer just to stay in Cubase.

I used to use Logic back in the PC days and I ditched it when it got bought out by Apple. I could give it a go, perhaps it will all come flooding back to me if it hasn't changed too much. Is there a Logic demo to try?
os
auricle wrote:
Is there a Logic demo to try?

Yes, it's called GarageBand smile

Did you try hosting Bidule in Cubase and then hosting the plug-in in that? Bidule's routing is very flexible.

If you still have the same problem (i.e. that Cubase won't route audio into a VSTi) maybe Bidule would let you grab the audio directly from the audio interface's input?
auricle
os wrote:
auricle wrote:
Is there a Logic demo to try?

Yes, it's called GarageBand smile

Did you try hosting Bidule in Cubase and then hosting the plug-in in that? Bidule's routing is very flexible.

If you still have the same problem (i.e. that Cubase won't route audio into a VSTi) maybe Bidule would let you grab the audio directly from the audio interface's input?

No, I didn't try Bidule yet. If it can grab the input directly then that would be great - I'll give it a go.
Analog>Plugins
Ok, try this..... you can assign a new audio track to be either mono or stereo. But you can also assign it to be 5.1 surround. That should give you 5 outputs for Volta when you use it as an insert using the other way I showed you that gor good results smile

If Stretta made a filing system so that you could save individual calibration setups of synths.... then you could calibrate using Volta as an insert, save the calibration....

Then load up Volta/kore as a virtual instrument and assign the outputs to kore i.e 8 of them like you would Kontakt 3. You wouldn't be able to calibrate using Volta as an instrument instead of an insert... but you wouldn't need to as you could load up the calibration you made earlier.
os
Is the calibration not saved along with the aupreset?
Analog>Plugins
It is, but Cubase 5 does not use AU's.
os
Well yes, that's what this whole thread's about - getting Cubase to support a plug-in format that it doesn't natively support.

Whatever ends up hosting the AU plug-in ought to be able to save and load presets for it.
Analog>Plugins
Sorry OS I was being a bit thick lol... I don't think Kore did save the calibration... in fact I'm sure it didn't.
os
No worries smile

Another reason to use Bidule then.
auricle
So I would have to save the calibration as a preset and load it every time?

To be honest, that's not a problem as I always record the modular to audio anyway (as modulars can't save patches). I'll try that tonight as I didn't get chance to try yesterday.

About Bidule - their demo version is only for the standalone, not VST which doesn't help me check whether I can directly access the audio interface's inputs. Another minus is that it uses Share-It as a payment gateway for purchasing. I absolutely hate that company as it never accepts my credit card or PayPal details.
os
Well, I resisted this long...

you could just try Silent Way instead, which runs as a VST natively.

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/silentway.html
auricle
os wrote:
Well, I resisted this long...

you could just try Silent Way instead, which runs as a VST natively.

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/silentway.html

smile

I know about Silent Way. I might get it for Cubase use as it's very cheap and keep Volta for Ableton Live (or until MOTU accidentally stumbles across the hundreds of requests to make a VST version of Volta).
Analog>Plugins
I don't think MOTU will ever do a vst version huh?

I'm using Expert Sleepers at the moment for Cubase which works really well. Not as mature yet as Volta but certainly getting there with the updates.

Calibrates really easy as well, seems to lock to any waveform I throw at it for calibration.
auricle
Analog>Plugins wrote:
I don't think MOTU will ever do a vst version huh?

I'm using Expert Sleepers at the moment for Cubase which works really well. Not as mature yet as Volta but certainly getting there with the updates.

Calibrates really easy as well, seems to lock to any waveform I throw at it for calibration.

That's good news. Perhaps some healthy competition will spur MOTU along. If Expert Sleepers does the same thing but costs a lot less and is compatible with more hosts and platforms then it's really a no-brainer for the customer.

I've found that MOTU are pretty much Mac-centric and don't spend half the amount of effort trying to get things working well for PC. I would just like a VST version for Cubase Mac.
1nput0utput
auricle wrote:
I've found that MOTU are pretty much Mac-centric and don't spend half the amount of effort trying to get things working well for PC. I would just like a VST version for Cubase Mac.

Didn't MOTU just put out a bunch of Windows driver updates for all of their audio hardware? I think I saw them on their website.
auricle
1nput0utput wrote:
auricle wrote:

Didn't MOTU just put out a bunch of Windows driver updates for all of their audio hardware? I think I saw them on their website.

If you look at the Windows section of MOTUNation forum, you'll see people who complain of bugs and decreasing performance because of the new drivers. When I was on Windows XP, I kept the original drivers supplied with my Ultralite Mk3 because I got worse performance with the newer drivers.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 2