MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Potential of The Harvestman Transcontinental Rails for 200e
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Potential of The Harvestman Transcontinental Rails for 200e
momo
This seems to be bubbling away on the horizon at Harvestman HQ

Though not in paper form I presume razz So will it allow the 200e to be fluent across the Euro format? Vice versa? Has Volta stolen it's thunder somewhat? I had a daydream yesterday of interfacing a Hertz Donut with a 200e eek!

I'd love to hear more from those more knowledgeable than I. Thanks in advance!
science
SlayerBadger!
science
If this ends up being what it appears that it will be to me, Volta can "suck it". Using a computer for anything more than MIDI sequencing kind of ruins the whole modular experience for me.
LDT
How does Volta enter this picture? I thought the Transcontinental Rails was for interfacing Buchla with 1v/oct stuff like euro modulars. Not?
dougcl
science wrote:
If this ends up being what it appears that it will be to me, Volta can "suck it". Using a computer for anything more than MIDI sequencing kind of ruins the whole modular experience for me.

Agreed. I refuse to use a computer at all with the modular.
science
LDT wrote:
How does Volta enter this picture? I thought the Transcontinental Rails was for interfacing Buchla with 1v/oct stuff like euro modulars. Not?

I think they just meant that Volta can control both Buchla 1.2v/oct stuff and euro 1v/oct at the same time, which gives you a small amount of cross compatibility in that you can get the two systems to track together. Still doesn't really do much else though.

The Transcontinental Rails are far more capable as far as I can tell from what little I know of the capabilities of the module, and would offer true integration.
science
Perfect timing on this module as well... now I'm even more excited about my incoming 200e, and definitely won't be ditching most of my euro gear as I was already starting to consider doing.
prscrptn
momo wrote:
This seems to be bubbling away on the horizon at Harvestman HQ

I have been waiting for this module to become a reality...
science
...and one more thing since I can't edit posts. I can see this creating a lot more business for B&A, since it would now make a lot more sense for people to buy a 2 or 4 panel boat of Buchla modules to use with their euro systems - and not having to commit to a $10k+ purchase.
citizen mori
i know a secret... whistlin'
felix
A big advantage to the TCR for me would be the adjustment of audio levels back and forth.

CV scaling is one thing (and the argument how Volta or some such other CV-generating device could fill in) is one thing, but audio levels back and forth is *very* convenient.
ex_dead_teenager
citizen mori wrote:
i know a secret... whistlin'

I think I might know the same secret and it's awsome.
science
I know someone wants to fill me in. Secrets suck waah
ex_dead_teenager
All good things to those who wait. I don't want to steal Scott's thunder, also I'm not certain I know as much as Citizen Mori and I like surprises. 8_)
momo
science wrote:
I can see this creating a lot more business for B&A, since it would now make a lot more sense for people to buy a 2 or 4 panel boat of Buchla modules to use with their euro systems - and not having to commit to a $10k+ purchase.

And here was I thinking this would be one of the more niche modules out there, I hadn't even considered the equation the other way around.
citizen mori
felix wrote:
A big advantage to the TCR for me would be the adjustment of audio levels back and forth.

CV scaling is one thing (and the argument how Volta or some such other CV-generating device could fill in) is one thing, but audio levels back and forth is *very* convenient.

unfortunately the only concern is not scaling... it is critical to protect the 200e from excessive cv.
authorless
i have been looking at some of those 200e modules. and was just on the buchla website the other day trying to decide what i would get to fill a four or six panel boat.

...and i have a friend with a 200 and an easel... i feel this module is manditory for me.
authorless
also! you could use this to convert audio to cv in the 200e, no? can it handle audio-rate modulation?
science
Asked Scott about this module today in an e-mail regarding some repair work I'm having done on my Tyme Sefari, and it sounds like we won't be seeing it for quite some time waah
excellent module!
NV
It's been in development for quite a long time. The photo was originally posted over two years ago here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nakedintruder/415164127/

I think it is a fantastic idea and one of the crucial missing links in a Buchla system. I figured Scott had simply abandoned the idea after so long, so I'm curious to hear what the "secret" people are mentioning turns out to be.
kkonkkrete
Is it just me, or is the idea of getting a handful of Buchla modules to wire into the spider's web that is a typical Euro system somewhat missing the point of the 200e?

I think half the beauty of the Electronic Music Box concept is that it is a self contained instrument.
kkonkkrete wrote:

I think half the beauty of the Electronic Music Box concept is that it is a self contained instrument.

with patching limits
Lyonel
citizen mori wrote:
unfortunately the only concern is not scaling... it is critical to protect the 200e from excessive cv.

Could you please develop on that, citizen ?
Has a future and newbie user, i am involved and afraid about bad amateurish patching.
Overloading CV ins (mixing CVs without 210e) could be disastrous ? ambulance
Thanks
Its when patching 200e with non-200e systems u could damage eventualy your 30k 200e Lyonel.

But the problem ist that u could get interesting results by feedbacking on the 200e self like feeding the output from one filter into his own or another cv input for example,thats not possible due to the differend cv/audio connections used in the system,so an adapter panel could resolve this.

an adapter panel that does the conversion + cv limitting & canceling DC spikes would be ideal to extend sounddesign on a 200e on his own and interconected with other diy or retail modules.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2