MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge Information and Purchasing
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Serge Information and Purchasing
sascha.victoria
tojpeters wrote:
So post still up,no further contributions.
I guess the rules ARE for the little guys.

I thought Rex's post was kind of lame. He controls Serge Fans and refuses to update that site. Then he comes here and he can make for sale posts in a forum and not follow the forum rules? The 2 aren't totally connected but somehow they are and it's lame.
Vsyevolod
Like I said, I'm not sticking up for Rex or anyone else. Though what I think of so-and-so will not enter into this conversation. FWIW, it does seem to me that the guidelines are being followed. I'm willing to be wrong on this one, as the moderators would have a better sense of it than me.

Stephen

leeski
Bubbles Dead Banana
greenormal
Re digital availability - just wanted to say that I was slightly surprised to find that Rex proved very responsive when I contacted him using the email in this thread: I'd have called him anyway but being based in London the time difference/cost of doing so were a factor for making initial contact

Very impressed so far - and as a former Serge owner looking to get back into the format I needed little persuasion on the product front

:J
GrantB
Wait, Rex emailed you?

batchas
GrantB wrote:
Wait, Rex emailed you?

Everytime I needed something a couple of years ago from STS, I asked via email and Rex answered always very quickly and very friendly.
Mood Organ
batchas wrote:
GrantB wrote:
Wait, Rex emailed you?

Everytime I needed something a couple of years ago from STS, I asked via email and Rex answered always very quickly and very friendly.

Same here
sersch
+1
Vsyevolod
Wait... Rex has a computer?

Does he know about the Internet yet?

Stephen

ModHiisi
Mood Organ wrote:
batchas wrote:
GrantB wrote:
Wait, Rex emailed you?

Same here

+ Thrice!

To anyone humming and ha'ing over should they contact/buy from 'Rex', because of the somewhat "under the radar" 'profile' of STS :

I have to say, that i've never gotten that level of "customer care" from anyone else. And also, based on my experiences within the last few years, i'd consider him a trustworthy seller of exemplary proportions..!
GrantB
Relax folks, I was just being sarcastic.

To those who don't know: for many years, one could not communicate with STS via the internet. I remember requesting the catalog by mail.
sersch
So did I 20 years ago.
From overseas.
And it was great when the catalogue arrived via snail mail,
together with a letter from Rex starting with:

"Dear Electronic Music lover!"
VisualMusic
hydrophilos wrote:
Does anyone know where you can get the raw aluminum panels that the serge uses with holes for building modules...

Thanks in advance,

Hydrophilos

First post - I don't have an answer but am looking for the same thing. I used Hammond 0.125" thick Aluminum panels for many modules on my third DIY synth, which were beefier than thin aluminum I used on my second. But I want to return more to the smaller tall format modules with a squarer aspect ratio.

I am happy drilling my own and doing the metal work and don't want the expense of buying completed panels if I can avoid it. Did you ever solve this or did you give up?

Cheers all regardless
phisynth
FWIW, Egres site seems to have been updated a bit regarding the prices of shop panels (no more prices on m-class apparently though)

Activity is so rare there I thought it was worth mentioning :

http://www.serge-fans.com/prices.html
Muff Wiggler
Rex didn't break any rules - he's not listing his stuff in BST, asking customers to contact him through the forum etc. He's an established business saying he has stuff for sale through his established business, and asking to contact him through his official channels at that established business if interested. This has always be ok to do here.

Oh and .... Hi Rex! Welcome Rockin' Banana!
batchas
batchas wrote:

Hmm... July 2016 update:

Harry Tique wrote:
Rex Probe

President
STS

(262) 367-3030 (T-TH afternoons CT)
sts7@sbcglobal.net

I tried with this address which used to work in the past, without success.
Does anyone have a recent working email address from Rex/STS please? I'm currently getting back all the messages I sent to him ("Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender").

I'd like to ask him if he could sell me 1 x Gain Cell for a repair that I'm doing on my old VCF2 (lopass is dead). Easier than having to replace it's transies even if the greater job is now done, unsoldering the cell from the main board.
I need the original pcb design (called the "clone" back then), not the CGS which is an adaptation (mostly other pins).

EDIT: reformulating like 4 times my message!

LAST-EDIT: update. Got an answer from Rex the next day to the email I sent via my gmail account. I could repair the Gain Cell, so no need to buy one, but Rex reacted right away and had a replacement cell if needed.
sersch
Just had a very nice email contact with Rex via his official sts7@sbcglobal.net
fonik
Hey, i just realized that the random"source page is not mentioned here. random*source provides PCBs, panels, boats, PSUs. It is still rather DIY-oriented, however, one could always ask for built stuff, i believe:

http://randomsource.net/
Infinity Curve
Rex is one solid dude!! Super responsive via email, complete tune up/calibration and upgrades on my Blue Voice, just over 2 weeks from the time I sent it out to when it arrived back to me, and he even put it in a new boat for me.

He's got the oscillators tracking 12 octaves eek!

Couldn't be happier.
nordlead
Infinity Curve wrote:

He's got the oscillators tracking 12 octaves eek!

Guess this is slightly derailing, however, I wonder how you measured this? When developping the R*S NTO / PCO we did a lot of measurements (also against a STS PCO as reference) using precision instruments and linear regression to determine the error in cents. These tests yielded that the original design is indeed quite precise - even by modern standards - and we were able to even slightly surpass the (STS) PCO in tracking (by a difference that would be hard to spot in real life), however I think 8 octaves of reasonable tracking is as far as I would go (and I believe Serge ever did and that's already pretty impressive). I'm not aware of any designer of (more) modern analog oscillators (e.g. Ian Fritz oder Thomas Henry) ever made any claims regarding 10, let alone 12 octaves ...

Might also be worth noting that whatever STS is selling under the Serge label is not licensed by Serge (as Serge himself has stated more than once).
batchas
12 octaves?

nordlead wrote:
Might also be worth noting that whatever STS is selling under the Serge label is not licensed by Serge (as Serge himself has stated more than once).

I keep reading that Rex is a thief, but I am wondering why nothing was done against him legally if he stole anything from anybody. I mean laws also exist in the USA against this kind of act, no?
nordlead
batchas wrote:

nordlead wrote:

I keep reading that Rex is a thief, but I am wondering why nothing was done against him legally if he stole anything from anybody. I mean laws also exist in the USA against this kind of act, no?

I don't want to dive into this and I'm not speaking for or commenting on Serge's decision, but the litigation system in the US is rather unique - great if you are a litigation lawyer or have a few millions to gamble with ... And running a lawsuit from another continent...?

Anyway, the idea was not to start (another) Rex discussion, but I think that Serge's side deserves to be represented in this thread and people should be aware of the fact that STS products are not licensed by Serge.
Infinity Curve
To be clear, when Rex gave me the rundown on what was done when he sent it back, he noted he had them tracking 12 octaves. I haven't measured this myself, but they are noticeably better than before the service work.

I'm not really a super technical guy on this stuff, but guessing from the couple PM's and questions here this is a very bold claim?

As for the legitimacy of STS, this is honestly the first I have seen this questioned. I was always under the impression they were the legit Serge guys to deal with since they've been around forever.
revtor
STS is definitely legit. They've been making, refining and defining, the Serge system continually for decades, when no one else wanted to. Now that there's money to be made people are jumping in on it including Serge himself.

Slandering this guy (Rex) and his company, while he makes what people want, to support himself and the people who work for him is not cool in my opinion... seems to be getting more popular these days - especially by someone who is obviously trying to jump in on part of the market. --Lame--

-Steve
nordlead
revtor wrote:
STS is definitely legit.

You seem to know more than Serge. On what basis do you feel confident to make such claim?

revtor wrote:
They've been making, refining and defining, the Serge system continually for decades.

No one disputed that, however, it does not make it "legit".

As I said, I think people deserve to know - what they then do is up to them.
(Not blaming any STS customer - I'm one of them.)

revtor wrote:
--Lame--

Again, there's been enough Rex discussion and emotions on Muff in the past, so I don't see a need to revive this (or to get personal).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 4 of 5