MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Music inspired by black metal
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Music inspired by black metal
DanielW
Give me your best tips on music inspired by black metal, stuff that doesn't sound exactly like early Darkthrone or Burzum. Could be experimental or accessible. Could be bands that label themselves BM or bands that would never associate with that label.
husc
http://www.rorcal.com/

Best band in the western hemisphere..
Hougaard
Ättestupa

Pyramids

Yoga

Liturgy
nrdvrgr
Servile Sect. Very recommended!
shred
Deafheaven
Wreck and Reference
Fearthainne

alot of "Cascadian" bands
RealDudes
fuck yeah Liturgy
Hi5
RealDudes wrote:
fuck yeah Liturgy

Normally yes but I saw them at Pitchfork a couple weekends ago and the drum machine was pretty bad. Sounded more like atari teenage riot or early NIN. Hope they get a drummer again.
11ish
Check out Krallice and Mick Barr's side (or main?) projects Ocrilim and Orthrelm. Guitarist Mick Barr is a very interesting and inspiring musician.
RealDudes
a friend of mine saw them a year or so agao and said it was one of the most intense sets he ever saw
shitty
de_raaf
mick barr rules
saw liturgy last year opening for merzbow in brussels, had to run away, indie kids trying to play black metal, yuck
shred
de_raaf wrote:
saw liturgy last year opening for merzbow in brussels, had to run away, indie kids trying to play black metal, yuck

Was their drummer still with them? If he was, I find that statement highly suspect (if he wasn't with them then disregard my next statements, I haven't seen them with just a drum machine and I'm sure they're nowhere near as good as they used to be with Greg).

I saw them play not too long ago, perhaps the last tour he did with them, and I agree with RealDudes' friend - it was one of the most intense musical performances I've ever seen, if not the most. I can't even fully describe how incredible it was. They played 4 songs and I had to leave lol. I don't know how many songs they played in their set but after four I was physically and mentally exhausted. And I was just standing there watching!!

If they are just "indie kids trying to play black metal" than fuck every other BM band out there, I'll stick to indie poseurs. But, to each his own.
Hi5
With drum machines it is nowhere near as good. Its a shame because I am normally not a fan of metal but their work was interesting to me. To be honest, when they where sound checking at Pitchfork (I was selling drink tickets and was able to hear a bunch of bands beforehand) I didn't recognize them. There has to be a drummer in NY they can recruit.
James Mandible
I like Liturgy fair enough but black metal they are not. They actually remind me more of the old 31G/screamo/whatever you wanna call it scene with black metal-ish vocals than anything else. Haven't seen them live though and had no idea they were using a drum machine now. You can pull off drum machines with metal, but imo the acts that make it work are few and far between.
Hosaka

This one is perhaps a little too hardcore for posers. Only to the trve kvlt devotees.
de_raaf
or put it the other way its what indie kids can handle, it was with a drummer, i thoughed it was so lame that after a few songs i had to get fresh air, they are hyped up as fuck but to me a serious let down, maybe their records are better,
basically bm its blood has run dry,their isn't that much excitement in it anymore, with some exceptions
m0rb1d
deathspell omega are at the top of black metal IMO

also check out some blut aus nord as well, another very forward thinking black metal act from france. they range anywhere from majestic cold black metal to tripped out industrial-ish madness.
thesnow
VELVET CACOON
atari5200
m0rb1d wrote:

also check out some blut aus nord as well, another very forward thinking black metal act from france. they range anywhere from majestic cold black metal to tripped out industrial-ish madness.

seconded on both of those- fantastic bands

I feel like Allagoch has quite a black metal influence, dig them quite a bit as well
James Mandible
atari5200 wrote:
m0rb1d wrote:

seconded on both of those- fantastic bands

I feel like Allagoch has quite a black metal influence, dig them quite a bit as well

I like everything about this post thumbs up
m0rb1d
yup, another absolutely amazing band!
black metal has a certain magic to it that no other kind of music has imo.
de_raaf
portal
blod aus nord has some good releases, that are more strange

best releases of last year for me was blood revolt "indoctrine"
Cybananna
Wolves in the Throne Room are really good. Nortt also, kind of doomy black metal.

Someone had to do it. Vargr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr8XHsAiBeE&feature=related

Hello nrdvrgr!
yghartsyrt
nadja is pretty dope.
nrdvrgr
Cybananna wrote:
Wolves in the Throne Room are really good. Nortt also, kind of doomy black metal.

Someone had to do it. Vargr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr8XHsAiBeE&feature=related

Hello nrdvrgr!

Hej hej!
weinglas
Where do you get the nice girls?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2