MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack looper solution?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Eurorack looper solution?
jbucks
There are tons of threads on muffs about loopers. I'm posting again because maybe there's been new developments.

There doesn't seem to be either a CV controllable external hardware looper, or a Eurorack module with long sample times which can be used live. The ADDAC wav player seems to work only by loading wavs manually, with no live recording. Phonogene, Tyme Safari, and the Modcan CV recorder could work, but at various levels of quality and with short sample times (could be wrong on this).

How would you go about building from modules a Eurorack looper that can take external input live?
causticlogic
How about the Strymon Timeline? I'd have to check the manual to see if the looper itself is CV-able though.
ThinLazy
THere's the new version of the tyme sefari coming out that is 16 bit.
stk
If you're not adverse to adding a computer to the mix, you could control Mobius (free, awesome) with a cv2midi module.
paults
Good things come to those who wait.
ThinLazy
paults wrote:
Good things come to those who wait.

such as .......?
Noise for Fiction
I am waiting for good stuff smile
logicgate
Noise for Fiction wrote:
I am waiting for good stuff smile

+1 hihi
paults
We are working on a Euro looping delay module. A test platform pc board is being fabbed now. The issue is to get a low cost processor with proper SDRAM interface. The hardware /sw is pretty straightforward, most of the effort is in the UI. Guitar pedal loopers are not a direct model when used in a Euro context. It becomes a human factors exercise more than and electrial design one.

The main EE issue is: can it be done without using BGA (ball grid array) packages? BGA is the choise for SDRAM memory packages. There are some where the pitch of the balls (the distance ball-to-ball) is greater than 0.65mm, the point that the pc board technology gets nasty (and expensive). There are other "lower tech" options but then those are for smaller memory sizes. This results in tradeoffs of sample rate (fidelity) versus delay time/number of loops possible.

I also want to use a processor that is low power, if you are in a rack or force use of a dedicated AC adaper (like most pedal loopers) you don't have to care, but in Euro most folks would be upset if the thing drew 350ma or such off +12V and took down a small case, forcing you to 'give up' 5 modules for the 1.

We will know more in about 6 weeks when the test board is running and we start messing around and seeng if the 'test scheme' is adequate for the job (uses non-BGA stuff).
rafe127
paults wrote:
We are working on a Euro looping delay module..... The hardware /sw is pretty straightforward, most of the effort is in the UI. Guitar pedal loopers are not a direct model when used in a Euro context. It becomes a human factors exercise more than and electrial design one.

I am VERY excited about this!!! Here is my daydream/fantasy about user interface from a couple of years ago:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20395
jbucks
I'll have a look at the Strymon, that's the second time today someone recommended it to me!

According to the Harvestman twitter feed, the Tyme Safari II is close to being finished - will have a look when it's ready.

paults - nice! Looking forward to hearing more about it!

Well, still curious whether a looper is possible from some combination of existing modules, but glad to know there are some upcoming modules in the pipeline!
DonaldCrunk
not a module, but as i love to say the digitech rds 7.6 and the other models in that range are capable of taking gates from the modular to retrigger loops. not so successful yet with the 'pitch' expression pedal input but i dont have the required skill. dirt cheap and great loopers.

definitely an inferior ball-to-ball distance however Dead Banana
Hainbach
I have used the looper on the Strymon but only manually. It worked nicely with the modular and sounded very good. You can however use a midi expander to get more functions out of it. So maybe some kind of CV/Midi module would work. I'd dowload the manual and check that.
Gripp
DonaldCrunk wrote:
not a module, but as i love to say the digitech rds 7.6 and the other models in that range are capable of taking gates from the modular to retrigger loops. not so successful yet with the 'pitch' expression pedal input but i dont have the required skill. dirt cheap and great loopers.

definitely an inferior ball-to-ball distance however Dead Banana

My dream eurolooper would at heart be like a modern rds7.6. The basic thing that makes it good, IMHO, is precisely that you can trigger the delay inpendent of delay time. I have actually had perfect octave jumps by modulating the delay time on my unit with silent way and its calibration feature. It doesn't last long though as the clock oscillator core is not temperature compensated and drifts like crazy over time.

So I'd like much, much more delay time, delay time having 1V/Oct response, ability to readout and record in reverse or even better, like Harvestman Tyme Sefari, be able to define a loop window but still have independent triggering and clock, all of course with good audio quality.

The original RDS actually sounds pretty good to me. I know its using companding but it also has a high sample rate at the shortest delay time so that it doesn't go too low at the longest times.

Here's an interesting page about the RDS. http://ericarcher.net/devices/digitech-rds/
causticlogic
Hainbach wrote:
I have used the looper on the Strymon but only manually. It worked nicely with the modular and sounded very good. You can however use a midi expander to get more functions out of it. So maybe some kind of CV/Midi module would work. I'd dowload the manual and check that.

I completely forgot about the MIDI on the back of the Timeline! Maybe it's time I re-invest in a MIDI-CV module.
stk
you mean CV 2 MIDI, as I mentioned above thumbs up doepfer do one.
Paranormal Patroler
paults wrote:
We are working on a Euro looping delay module.

You heard it here first. love
Ras Thavas
While there are some nice delays in euro, there is a severe lack of delays w/ longer delay time, let alone feature sets designed for looping. It's something that is really needed, and I look forward to seeing what paults comes up with.

The updated Tyme Sefari should really be really interesting too, having many of the features needed for looping and a good looking interface. With so many different "takes" on looping, there's a lot of room for different designs.
Mrs_Audio_Boy
paults wrote:
We are working on a Euro looping delay module.

Any news on this module yet?
KaOsphere
No mention of reflex liveloop ?

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150299

Seems to push many buttons regarding the OP.
bgcriswell
4ms DLD
void23
The ER-301 has some great looping capabilities, along with many, many other features.
bemerritt
5 year old thread...
BlackMarbleFelix
4ms DLD seems like something you missed
flashheart
BlackMarbleFelix wrote:
4ms DLD seems like something you missed

Not difficult as it didn't exist 5 years ago Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1