MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

DIY info - sources of standard BugBrand Modular parts
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author DIY info - sources of standard BugBrand Modular parts

bakedcircuit

Hey all -

Tried searching the subforum with no luck, so please pardon my ignorance if this has been asked/posted before here or elsewhere, maybe i'm wording my searches incorrectly or the wrong subforums.

Anywho. new to It's peanut butter jelly time!, former minijacker, got a handful of bugs and itching to fill in some gaps with some DIY magic (particularly some cv quantizer breakouts for the CTL1 and some other small odds and ends)

Was wondering if anyone could share any DIY source links for appropriate knobs/mini-switches/LEDs/jacks that match the most recent BUG revisions. Want to try and get these as close as I can so they match all nicely on the few blank panels i've been able to hunt down. Having a hard time identifying/guessing on Mouser/Jameco/etc and rather not play the buy/receive/exchange/guessing game trying to triangulate matching parts. Being color blind doesn't help either when trying to identify closest knobs/jacks, haha.

They're all just so beautiful, i don't want to go and sully it by putting some rubbish alongside them, figure i might as well try my damnedest to blend them in the best i can.

Apologies again if this has been addressed before or is a giant faux-pas to ask. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

BugBrand

Ping me an email and I'm sure I can sort you out with the required bits (though quite short on blanks at the moment).

Many of the bits are from Rapid (ie. not great for outside UK shipping)
I could probably write a list of the standard parts used for general ref.

Oh, but the switches aren't ideal for DIY - they're PCB mount.. sure we could track down similar with nuts though.

BugBrand

Ok - standard parts list:::

4MM sockets

4mm plugs
+ suitable wire

R1212 pots from Song-Huei - splined shaft

Rean P670 series soft-touch 16mm knobs - Rapid say that they have now found an alternate supply - not sure if end-of-line Re'an ones or clones...

Sub-mini PCB toggle Switches - note they're PCB mount, no thread on the neck.

PCB push momentary switches

LEDs - standard 3mm low current super red etc

LED lenses - 3mm low profile clear

3Pin Power Bits via Futurlec - http://futurlec.com/XLR-MIC.shtml
(CPC (sub-Farnell) also carry some of these types)

Tyco (TE) MTA100 bits:
4 pin PCB headers - part number 640456-4 - via Mouser or Future Electronics
4 pin wire plugs for 22AWG - part 3-640440-4 - via Mouser / Future
(look at the Mouser PDF catalogue around pages 1320 for further bits from these ranges)

MTA100 hand-insertion tool - part 59803-1 (via Mouser)

otoskope

Thanks, Tom. Good info for all of us.

oljud

bookmarked.

pugix

I am trying to buy some Re'an knobs from Rapidonline, as I cannot find them anywhere else. I have 24 knobs for a total of $13.63 USD in the basket, and they want to charge $31.92 USD for shipping! I'll pay it, but they aren't showing me how to check out. Looks like I am waiting for my account to be approved or something, before I can make this huge purchase. lol

BugBrand

I never consider Rapid to be any good for people outside UK - happy to send you some from my stocks Richard (I have a lot)

richard

nice one Tom. Supporting the DIY crowd

noted thumbs up

pugix

That is super, Tom! I will email you.

Thanks,

oljud

Joystick? For my vcs3 clone :-) like the feel of it.

BugBrand

It took a lot of searching to source those ones and that was maybe 5 years ago so..
Same as Doepfer use though their spares are something quite expensive.

Actually, maybe I have some similar ones spare back in the workshop - could check when back in a week - ping me a mail.

shady smiles

Regarding XLR power bits, I'm desperately seeking 3 Pin Chassis Mounts (like these). My order with Futurlec supposedly shipped over a month ago and it still hasn't arrived (and they're not responding to my emails). Dead Banana

Does anyone have any other sources they'd recommend in the States? I'm not sure I'm seeing anything quite comparable in stock at Mouser... Happy to be proven wrong though!

Thanks in advance.

-phil

BananaPlug

FYI, that info is in BugBrand as my first modular system nanners

shady smiles

BananaPlug: you're a lifesaver! I put in an order at Minute Man, messed up my address and had to call them. They were very helpful AND volunteered to reduce my shipping cost while at the same time promising to get it out today. Stark contrast to Futurelec , but nevermind that, I'm happy now. Thanks!

It's peanut butter jelly time!

KNYST

applause

shady smiles

KNYST wrote:
applause

No kidding. Minute man shipment arrived. 2 business days. Highly recommended!

cyklopljud

Is there a place to buy the try connect banana plugs and wire Tom as linked on the previous page outside of the UK.
Shipping to Denmark was around 30€ for 100 plugs.
I have had no luck on ebay and really I can only find the awful cheaper ones.

I very much prefere these plugs to the Pomona, more space to grab.

Anyway any help would be great.

otoskope

In Sweden, you can get hi-quality ready-made banana cables very similar to Tom's, although slightly thicker (and softer). Same colours, even. Good price, too. I've bought most of my cables from here:

http://sagitta.se/index.php?redirect=1&lang=se&sok=&id=&kid=168&q=1&s= 5&o=0&l=12&mall=db_lista.html&template_file=db_lista.html

They sell material for schools and labs.

Hope that helps,
Palle

cyklopljud

otoskope wrote:
In Sweden, you can get hi-quality ready-made banana cables very similar to Tom's, although slightly thicker (and softer). Same colours, even. Good price, too. I've bought most of my cables from here:

http://sagitta.se/index.php?redirect=1&lang=se&sok=&id=&kid=168&q=1&s= 5&o=0&l=12&mall=db_lista.html&template_file=db_lista.html

They sell material for schools and labs.

Hope that helps,
Palle

Thanks Palle,
Brilliant, thanks for sharing, good price too, I'll pick some up.
Still would like a source for the truconnect ones or similar to build my own cable sizes.

otoskope

Glad to be of help. Can't help you with the jacks, though.

But I can tell you I bought a safety-certified white lab coat from them, too, to feel like a real scientist when patching away on my modular. 8_)

/Palle

KNYST

re jacks:
TruConnect jacks can be bought from Thonk:
http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/banana-jacks/

Shipping is not too bad, and there are cheaper services available if you ask him thumbs up

pugix

I'm going to want Re'an knobs again for a new project. Last time I got a few directly from Tom (thanks again!), but this time I'm going to need more than 60. Suggestions?

BugBrand

I can still sort you out if needed Richard - got at least 500+ of each colour at the moment (no grey/black/white EVER! could order though).
Of course, if you can find a similarly cheap US source postage may sway the choice..

pugix

Thanks, Tom. I'll email you.

cyklopljud

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2