MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Single Channel Attenuverter Chicklet [available from thonk]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Author Single Channel Attenuverter Chicklet [available from thonk]
fonik
someone here on the forum asked me if i would do a PCB fo a single attenuvertion channel to retrofit CV inputs of built modules with an attenuverter. so i came up with the following DIY PCB:

FlickR Set

BTW i never would have thought that the bottle cap of alcohol-free beer would work for size comparison, but it does!

i am taking pre-orders until 10 SEP 2012.

Pricing PCB:
1.- USD/0.80 EUR each.

Postage and Packaging
Deutschland: <= 20 pcs = 1.-EUR, > 20 pcs = 2.-EUR
Europe: <= 20 pcs = 2.-EUR, > 20 pcs = 4.-EUR
Worldwide: <= 20 pcs = 3.- USD, > 20 pcs = 6.-USD

just indicate your interest by posting in this thread. i don't take any money up-front, i just ask you to be honest.

the PCB is single sided, 1.4in x .7 in (36mm x 18mm), and acommodates 9, 16, and 24mm alphas, i tried it with a 9mm vishay, too.
each PCB provides a complete power input filter/decoupling scheme, so you could even build a module from it. nevertheless, there are wirepads for the positive and negative rail after the filter, making it possible to use one filter/decoupling section for multiple daisychained PCBs.

here is the documentation.

OLD POST:
i came up with two designs, one in TH and one in SMT. now i think of doing a PCB run. TH or SMT?

the TH would be 100% DIY.
the SMT could be pre-assembled (without potentiometer) or 100% DIY, too.
the PCBs would be mounted to the panel using a PCB mounted potentiometer (i.e. 9mm or 16mm alpha)...

so i basically have three options:
TH 100% DIY,
SMT 100% DIY, or
SMT pre-assembled.

what would be preferrable?
below you see the layouts with measurements.

edit: price lowered, shipping costs
kindredlost
SMT non-DIY for me. Very compact and neat.
boothnavy
Just to clarify, this is an input attenuator that would be zero at 12 o'clock and provide positive (clockwise) and negative (counter clockwise) amounts?
diablojoy
Either SMT diy or pre-assembled depending on price differance
nice work 8_)
hollowman
SMT preassembled. thumbs up
fluxmonkey
how small are the smallest SMT components? i've never soldered smaller than 1206
fonik
boothnavy wrote:
Just to clarify, this is an input attenuator that would be zero at 12 o'clock and provide positive (clockwise) and negative (counter clockwise) amounts?

a polarizer, yes.

fluxmonkey wrote:
how small are the smallest SMT components? i've never soldered smaller than 1206

caps and resistors are 0805, OpAmp in SOIC.
BananaPlug
SMT please. thumbs up
One suggestion: larger pads for cases where it makes sense to solder wires on directly instead of mounting connectors.
keninverse
I usually have such a tight space to work with add-on/daughterboards. SMT is a perfect solution.
regenbot
i guess preassembled SMT woulb be best for me thumbs up
fonik
do we see a pattern here?
Willzyx
fonik wrote:
do we see a pattern here?

yes but I want SMT DIY.... but will take the non-diy as well This is fun!
daverj
One suggestion on the SMT version. SMT electrolytics are fragile. They have a tendency to be easy to break off the board. They also tend to be no smaller than through hole electrolytics, and cost more. On my SMT boards, whenever I have electrolytics I simply use through hole electrolytics. You can get them in fairly short stubby versions.
fonik
i know, dave. however, for machine assembly of such a small run TH would add additional cost, and i never had any issues with machine assembled SMT ELECs...
Tronketz
Pre-assembled SMT!!!! applause applause applause
ATOM
TH 100% DIY, or SMT pre-assembled.

Have managed to solder SMT but my good those parts are small.

ATOM
arrmcbain
Agreed ^^^
TH DIY or pre-assembled SM. What would the price difference be?
samuraipizzacat29
SMT DIY.

with a 10x loupe, nice point, and attention to detail, there's no problems. Plus, with the space reduction .9" might fit under a 25mm standoff.....

oh, and
fonik wrote:
i know, dave. however, for machine assembly of such a small run TH would add additional cost, and i never had any issues with machine assembled SMT ELECs...

couldn't you just leave the holes open and let us solder the two TH elec. caps if the majority would prefer a pre-assembled smt? I'm just thinking about when I try and stuff all my wiring behind a panel and how easy it is to break them little smt caps off.
fonik
arrmcbain wrote:
Agreed ^^^
TH DIY or pre-assembled SM. What would the price difference be?

not yet, need a quote from the PCB assembly service first.
but one thing is for sure, the 100% DIY TH board would be very cheap...
fonik
samuraipizzacat29 wrote:
oh, and
fonik wrote:

couldn't you just leave the holes open and let us solder the two TH elec. caps if the majority would prefer a pre-assembled smt? I'm just thinking about when I try and stuff all my wiring behind a panel and how easy it is to break them little smt caps off.

something to think about...
executiveBlaster
Would you mind posting this schematic, Matthias? More caps than I usually see on an attenuverter!
fonik
it is the same circuit as on my attenuverting mixer. i just decided to have a complete supply power filter/decoupling using a 22R resistor, 10uF, and 100n on each rail. and then there are two 10n decoupling caps for the opamp.
jimmyambulance
pre-assembled SMT +1!
Monobass
Smt prefab or DIY thumbs up
NV
I'll join the chorus and say my first choice would be SMT pre-assembled and my second a bare TH DIY board. The determining factor for me would be the price difference.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Page 1 of 12