MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Experiences with Tunecore?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Experiences with Tunecore?
DrBerndtHoffmann
Anyone using this service?

I'm mainly interested in how the results of being available by the likes of iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc compare to those via Bandcamp, particularly for oddbod modular music.

Not so bothered about the differences in the remuneration models - as Bandcamp seems a much more equitable option - just curious how things work in this world of digital distribution...
Rogue Ai
I heard things about tunecore scamming artists. Dead Banana
DrBerndtHoffmann
Oh dear - do you mean Tunecore ripping people off or people using Tunecore to rip people off?
Rogue Ai
DrBerndtHoffmann wrote:
Oh dear - do you mean Tunecore ripping people off or people using Tunecore to rip people off?

I'm not so sure now. I heard thins about people not receiving their money after it reaches a certain amount, but then I heard that they infringed copyright or didn't register their music.

However, I have no idea, as this was all based on hearsay. Maybe someone else knows better.
seek
This thread has been silent for a few months, but I'm curious to hear about people's experiences as well.
ZoeB
I use both Bandcamp and Tunecore. What would you like to know, exactly?

Seeing as I'm a pretty small, niche musician, I prefer Bandcamp as they take a modest percentage rather than a flat annual fee, so even if I never sold anything I'd still be in the black. But more people have heard of the various shops that Tunecore distribute my music to, such as iTunes, so it's helpful to be on those.
DrBerndtHoffmann
ZoeB wrote:
I use both Bandcamp and Tunecore. What would you like to know, exactly?

Seeing as I'm a pretty small, niche musician, I prefer Bandcamp as they take a modest percentage rather than a flat annual fee, so even if I never sold anything I'd still be in the black. But more people have heard of the various shops that Tunecore distribute my music to, such as iTunes, so it's helpful to be on those.

Thanks for picking this up, Zoe -

How does the usage/downloads/streams/purchases/social media buzz, etc. compare?
ZoeB
Sorry, I meant to reply to this earlier, but it got buried under an avalanche of browser tabs for a few weeks and I forgot...

DrBerndtHoffmann wrote:
How does the usage/downloads/streams/purchases/social media buzz, etc. compare?

As in being able to sift through those stats? Well, TuneCore is about what you'd expect from an average site of this era... you can see a breakdown per month (up to a month or two ago), or per release, and you can see which shops are selling the most units... How much you're making from sales, how much from streaming, and so on... I think that's about it, really.

Bandcamp, on the other hand, is great. You select pretty much any date range, and you can find out how many plays you've had, how many sales, and also which webpage people came from to find you (although I don't think you can work out which particular links result in which particular visitors, so you can't see which provide the most sales). Bandcamp's also pretty much instant. No waiting around for a month or two to see if an advert worked, you get instantly notified whenever you sell anything and all of the stats are always up to date. It's very much everything done right.

Bandcamp takes a (currently very modest) percentage of sales automatically, whereas TuneCore charges you per release per year. If you're small fry like me, this makes Bandcamp the better solution as you'll never owe them money just to be in their shop, although more prominent musicians may prefer TuneCore.

Personally I'm trying both and seeing which works best for me. I think I'll stick with TuneCore for a while longer at least, and I'm sure I'll be with Bandcamp for a very long time indeed. They very much "get it".

If you're talking about how much of a buzz these sites generate, well, it's nice to be in shops, but you still have to promote yourself by other means. It can help to appear in Bandcamp's bestsellers charts, but that's only going to happen if you're already selling a good few units due to promoting your music elsewhere. So yeah, Bandcamp's a good distributor/shop, and TuneCore's a good distributor to various other shops, but you still need to promote your music on top of that.
Khyber Pass
I run a small indie-label with some friends and we use both bandcamp and Tunecore. I like them both. Main reason for using tunecore is spotify, it doesn't pay shit but a lot of people use it almost exclusively. Getting stuff on iTunes and eMusic among others is nice too of course. I've had more sales on bandcamp but that's the page I promote, so that's not surprising. Some people have still bought through iTunes, Napster and eMusic and I gather I probably wouldnt have gotten some of those sales otherwise.
crazywizdom
Four years on, can anyone comment on the latest? Good / bad experiences? Any new players to be aware of?

thanks in advance,

Dan
ZoeB
I switched from TuneCore to DistroKid, if that's any help. They seem more economical at my small scale.
crazywizdom
ZoeB wrote:
I switched from TuneCore to DistroKid, if that's any help. They seem more economical at my small scale.

Sorry for the slow reply - it's been a busy week - and yes that is very helpful, thanks! I will check Distrokid out.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1