MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Banana Source
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Banana Source
Montag
Looking for recommendations for quality banana cables, hopefully available online...

Anyone? Dead Banana
panda30y
www.testpath.com
ex_dead_teenager
What kind of animal is that???
cbm
Pomona is the banana of choice. They are available from most electronics distributors.

Panda's recommendation of Testpath is a good one.
zthee
Pomona is the weapon of choice!

And Testpath is the place to get 'em!

If you live in europe, ask for options of shipping. As there is cheaper ones not listed..

I need to make an order of like 40 more cables this month.. SlayerBadger!
Luka
is it worth getting lots of small banana cables?

im about to buy 40
my 5U case is 28' x 26'
but i have a suitcase that i might want to patch to also

so i was thinking of getting 4 colours with

3 x 12'
4 x 24'
3 x 36'
zthee
I bought to many 8' last time. I think 12' and 24' are the ones that are best.

Short ones are usefull though. But it's nice to be able to repatch with out having to switch cable..
cebec
Testpath, yes!!
And I actually find myself using the 4" and 8" ones most frequently. Surprisingly, I thought I had enough 4" cables but I should probably order some more.
b3nsf
another nod for shorties---> at least with serge gear, that distance is used lots especially near the mixers, filters, FM in's, slopes retrigger, SSG -- wait I'm listing everything!!!!! seriously, i just don't get it thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up 8_)
panda30y
I would sit in front of your system and figure out what are the common patches that must be made and buy accordingly to what distance you require. Everyone is going to have different arrangements, and you sir are using a 5U system, which I would imagine would require a little more slack than any 4U or 3U system. But it all depends on how your system is setup, so only you have the power! thumbs up
sascha.victoria
I only have 1 panel so I tend to use a lot of 4" and 8"
prscrptn
yea... shorties are great, but don't forget about your long cables that need to reach. panda30y is correct, you need to look at your common patches and grab a few extras. cables are not too expensive, but arranging for multiple shipments can be...

another great item is the banana cable organizer from Pomona; (you will need the orange one for your size of connectors).
cbm
The Buchla system ships with all the cords of one length the same color. This makes one aspect of patching easier, and make another more difficult. To try and address the difficulty, I've taken various colors of Sharpies and drawn patterns and colors near the end of wire to make individual wires more distinctive.

The lengths/colors Buchla uses are:
8" Orange
18" Yellow
24" Green
36" Blue

I've supplemented this with the two other short lengths Pomona makes:
4" Red
12" Violet

prscrptn is right about the cable organizer. I have a couple. Too bad about the color, though. It's less orange than salmon, and is sort of ugly, IMO. Still, indispensable.

Customized patchcords:
momo
That's very useful Chris, thanks for sharing
Lyonel
A little off topic but, what about improved audio patch cords in Europe ?
those from Buchla seems to be very very good, i have some Doepfer here but.... hmmm.....
cbm
The cables Buchla sells are the best ones out there, IMO. They are Switchcraft ST740 cable assemblies from the ".141 Custom Overmold" line: http://www.switchcraft.com/products/capc-18.html
The minimum orders on these are apparently pretty high, per color/size, and even meeting Switchcraft's minimums and buying direct they aren't cheap.

If 3.5 mm is OK, then the Mogami ones that Analog Haven sells aren't bad. They are all black, so be prepared to apply some colored heat shrink or something.
Lyonel
Thanks Chris,
Approximately how many does Buchla and Associated provides (Banana / Audio) with one Boat ?
Do you think he double quantity when sending two Boats ?
i would like to complement my order if it seems that i will need more.
He was vague about that : "We try to provide sufficient patch cords for the systems, but if you need more, just tell us the style and lengths you need."
cbm
There's a chart on the wall at Buchla & Associates that has the patchcord compliment for different size systems. It probably isn't a linear one panel gets x, two panels gets 2x relationship.

It's really a fairly decent supply, but you could always use a few more.

I also made some custom cables, for specific weird needs, so that cut down the number of stock audio cables I use by about 12.

Also, be aware that the Buchla system uses original Switchcraft "Tini-Jax", which are not 3.5 mm. The Switchcraft cables don't work well, if at all, in 3.5 mm jacks.
Lyonel
cbm wrote:
be aware that the Buchla system uses original Switchcraft "Tini-Jax", which are not 3.5 mm. The Switchcraft cables don't work well, if at all, in 3.5 mm jacks.

Oh... i didn't know about this incompatibility !
Thank you very much. smile
Luka
pomonas ordered !!

smile
prscrptn
Lyonel wrote:
Approximately how many does Buchla and Associated provides (Banana / Audio) with one Boat ?

Do you think he double quantity when sending two Boats ?

The number of cables included with an order is really good; (I recieved about 40 banana cables and 30 audio cables for a system with 12 modules).

Although I have added some additional cables, you won't know which lengths you will need until you start patching...

I am sure that with 2 - 18 space boats Don will send plenty of cables. thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1