MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

GeoSonix
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author GeoSonix
geosonix
Hi, I'm new here, planning to build a modular. However I also have something interesting to share. For the past year I've been developing GeoSonix, a unique software sequencer, that I think could be an cool way to drive a modular synth.

Up until now I've been driving softsynths with it. Some demos on Vimeo:

- Dark ambient music: www.vimeo.com/39200470
- A Flower's Piano Debut (with explanatory comments): www.vimeo.com/44745643
- Piano style riff: www.vimeo.com/42653192
- Trumpet Trio: www.vimeo.com/44821560
- Another cool riff (with midi sync to Numerology): www.vimeo.com/41238748
- Blues chord changes with the harmony processor: www.vimeo.com/33563425
- GeoSonix announces itself: www.vimeo.com/36209199

Geosonix site: www.geosonix.com

A new major upgrade to GeoSonix is due out in a few weeks. When I get this done I want to turn some of my time to building a hardware modular synth, something I've wanted for many years but have not had the time to get into it. I think GeoSonix through with its Open Sound Control controllers through Expert Sleepers interface to a suitable modular could produce some really interesting music.

I took a break from work on GeoSonix to join the forum here and start planning for my modular. You may see me from time to time in the other Muff Wiggler group asking for advice, etc. as I plan my modular. (I have some specific requirements in mind to best complement GeoSonix.)

Also, if you're into driving your modular with a software sequencer give GeoSonix a try. It's free for the full version and will always be free. I guarantee it will do things you could never dream of with a normal step sequencer. 8_)

- Chris Graham
CJ Miller
http://www.geosonix.com/top/

Looks interesting
yghartsyrt
I was about to say this looks like iannix, but then I realized you are the person, who developed it.

Amazing looking piece of software. I always meant to check it out more thoroughly, but never found the time yet
geosonix
GeoSonix is not exactly IanniX but that's where it started.

I contributed to development of the version of IanniX as of last September and wrote the documentation but I forked it to create my own project which I'm taking in a different direction from IanniX. I found the IanniX user interface confusing and wanted to rewrite it significantly to make it easier to use. It was slow and inefficient trying to communicate with the IanniX team so I forked it to create GeoSonix.

I've also added many features to allow creation of somewhat more "musical" results. e.g. A harmony processor based on that in Supercollider, and a rhythm processor that is like a per-curve step sequencer that auto-creates triggers along curves with timing based on a rhythm and beat emphasis pattern you define for that curve. The triggers remain attached to the curves and can be dragged around with the curve, which is a form of real-time control. (This is in the upcoming release)

There are also dozens of other improvements: a patchbay for midi and osc messages; a simplified but more powerful macro language; the ability to import an image and have cursors generate messages based on the colors they pass over in the image; the ability to define messages that are monophonic to a given curve, to a given midi channel or to a given group; the ability to control the density of notes produced by specifying the maximum AND minimum duration of notes for each message; the ability for objects to reference the run-time state of other objects - which might sound obscure but radically increases the complexity and subtlety of controller patterns it can make; the ability to control parameters inside messages at run time using OSC with say touchOSC; the ability to put note-On messages in cursors and control when they play based on attributes such as "onStart", "onRestart"; and finally in the event of a crash (heaven forbid - very rare but not impossible at this point oops ) I added a system that records all edits in to disc in real time and offers to recover all your work on restart.

Comparing my Vimeo demos with those of a recent version of IanniX will show many things that are impossible in IanniX.

Especially the curve based geometry driven step sequencers could be a really interesting way to drive a modular synth, combined with the incredibly rich streams of continuous controllers that can be simultaneously produced.

- Chris
neilbaldwin
geosonix wrote:
the ability to import an image and have cursors generate messages based on the colors they pass over in the image

I love you! love

I've had a little project idea on permanent hold because I've wanted a way to be able to do this exact thing!

Will definitely be checking it out thumbs up
geosonix
Thanks! You did have a good idea.

The colors in a pleasing image seem to have a deep relationship to patterns that lead to pleasing music. For example this (IMHO) remarkably subtle piano style solo was created by mapping the red, green and blue of an image to the note number (through the harmony processor), the velocity and the duration of the notes. www.vimeo.com/44745643 Also, as you can see from the demo, moving the curves/cursors around over the image is like a real time performance technique that can vary the music in interesting ways.

I should add that picture color-tracking is in the upcoming release. The Mac version of GeoSonix is code complete and ready to release now, except that I still need to update the documentation which given the number of changes could take a week or two.

There will be a Windows version too which will take maybe another week.

However if anyone wants to alpha-test the new Mac version with the non-updated documentation I could send it to you in a day or two. There are sample scripts and scores, and the user interface is pretty intuitive.

- Chris
neilbaldwin
geosonix wrote:
Thanks! You did have a good idea.

The colors in a pleasing image seem to have a deep relationship to patterns that lead to pleasing music. For example this (IMHO) remarkably subtle piano style solo was created by mapping the red, green and blue of an image to the note number (through the harmony processor), the velocity and the duration of the notes. www.vimeo.com/44745643 Also, as you can see from the demo, moving the curves/cursors around over the image is like a real time performance technique that can vary the music in interesting ways.

I should add that picture color-tracking is in the upcoming release. The Mac version of GeoSonix is code complete and ready to release now, except that I still need to update the documentation which given the number of changes could take a week or two.

There will be a Windows version too which will take maybe another week.

However if anyone wants to alpha-test the new Mac version with the non-updated documentation I could send it to you in a day or two. There are sample scripts and scores, and the user interface is pretty intuitive.

- Chris

Brilliant, exactly the kind of thing I had in my head. Looking forward to this immensely screaming goo yo

I know how hard it is to find testers so if I can help I'd be glad to, just drop me a PM here or email neil [dot] baldwin [at] mac [dot] com
stk
Wow, this is great. Having a quick tinker with the Windows version just using the onboard wt synth on my work laptop, lots of fun.

Look forward to plugging this into my Euro modular / Reaktor / Nord G1.

Will be watching this with interest, hit me up if you need any help alpha/betatesting.

cheers,
skye
anti_climacus
What kind of Mac is needed to run this app? I get an error message that my Mac can't run the software. I'm running a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, and 10.6.8.
geosonix
Any 64 bit Intel Mac above OS X 10.6 should work.

Could you email me offline the exact error message you are receiving?

chrisgr99 at gmail dot com

Also, do you possible have an older version of the trolltech/nokia qt development libraries installed? That has been known to cause problems.

- Chris
ear ear
What's the current state-of-play with this program? There don't seem to have been too many updates recently. Also I can't find a GeoSonix forum. Has anyone gone through the process of learning this software recently? How was it?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1