MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Phutney clone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Author Phutney clone
PhutneyBuilder
Hello, I've just joined, I was refered to this Forum by one of your members, who directed me to some comments made here about my intent to supply Phutney boards.

I've moved my web site from www.derekrevell.co.uk to www.phutney.com I hoping to put some more info on clone building, and obtaining those hard to find components TAB101 2C746 MFC6070, I'll keep you posted

Derek Revell
mckenic
Hi Derek!

Dave from Ireland here. Welcome to Muffs - glad to see you on here!

thumbs up
JohnLRice
Welcome Derek! w00t

Very cool website! thumbs up screaming goo yo
numan7
welcome onboard, derek! :boat:

please tell us more about your phutney project! :hyper:

cheers
rico loverde
welcome Derek!! I really wish I had known about these Putney boards...please please please do another run!!!!
asterisk
im interested in your phutney project as well.
would love to see / hear more about it.
and im sure lots of people here would be interested in PCBs.
djs
Same here...i'd be interested in a rerun too
home_listening
I'm super keen should you decide to do another run!
roman_f
welcome to the forum, derek
nickster
Hi Derek

Welcome to Muff's, you will find there is a fair amount of interest in your Phutney PCB's and build here.

It's motherfucking bacon yo
a100user
Welcome Derek

David
reggiechacha
Hi Derek
I like the changes to the technical section on your site.
If you get a chance It'd be good to see some info on the power supply schematic and wiring.
Cheers
reggiechacha
Getting a Ghielmetti panel at a good price seems to be the biggest challenge for this project. I'm starting to think a 15x15 matrix is the only feasible option. I wrote to Ghielmetti to see if they plan to produce more of the basic 20x20 panels but didn't get a response.
I guess a 15x15 means something has got to give and i think the 2nd output would be the obvious candidate to go.
Any Synthi owners out there using output 2 much on the patch panel?
mOBiTh
Hey Derek - glad you've made it on here smile

is this going to be the main build thread?

do you have a link to the board edge connectors please? (uk)

cheers!

Matt
Monobass
I've decided to trade my pcbs if anyone wants them.

Edit: these are gone
roman_f
reggiechacha wrote:
Getting a Ghielmetti panel at a good price seems to be the biggest challenge for this project. I'm starting to think a 15x15 matrix is the only feasible option. I wrote to Ghielmetti to see if they plan to produce more of the basic 20x20 panels but didn't get a response.
I guess a 15x15 means something has got to give and i think the 2nd output would be the obvious candidate to go.

i've just decided to go this way

the light part - is there the unnecessary pins are covered by a front panel
so on top i have 16x16 matrix and on bottom - 2x16 space for holding pins
reggiechacha
roman_f wrote:
reggiechacha wrote:

i've just decided to go this way

the light part - is there the unnecessary pins are covered by a front panel
so on top i have 16x16 matrix and on bottom - 2x16 space for holding pins

cool - have you already got a matrix?
PhutneyBuilder
I've read all you guys comments, and acted on them, there is now a lot more information on my web site now, hopefully that will help, I have contacted Ghielmetti, I have visited their Manufacturing facility in Solothurn, and was made very welcome. I'm disappointed by their lack of enthusiasm for us DIY clone builders, especially as Martin Hollinger their Electronics Engineer is one himself. If anyone wants to be on the 2nd 50 off production run, please email at derekrevell@aol.com and I'll add you to the list, I have 18 people on the list so far 8/9/12.

Thanks for such a warm welcome, I didn't get the same treatment on another well known Forum, you know who you are.

I started out OK, but went downhill pretty fast, shame.
reggiechacha
I eventually managed to get in touch with someone at Ghielmetti. Have a basic 20x20 621 matrix on order. inc shipping was 328 euro.
Dave Kendall
Just wondering - is the Type 321 not compatible?
20X 20 type 321
It's a wee bit cheaper, although rated for less current if I understand that part OK....

cheers,
Dave
janvanvolt
Derek,

welcome here. You gonna like this forum. We're all crazy wigglers here ._)
delayed
YEA, in support in your project.
revtor
328 euro for a pin matrix.. --->OUCH!!!!!

there's gotta be another way. Think about DIY, laser engraving/waterjet/CNC custom places, PCB houses. How can we make one with these services, for less. its gotta be possible.

We design it to use the stock Ghilli plugs http://www.ghielmetti.ch/docs/PDF/gkv_n_x_m_321-621_la_e.pdf

The ghille plugs are 1.6mm (.063") or 2.4mm (.094") BTW. I don't know which ones EMS uses..

Then we go to a place like Keystone for some nice gold plated spring loaded jacks like #1640A to fit the the 2.4mm ghile plugs. Thinner plugs could yield us a denser overall matrix obvi..
http://www.keyelco.com/pdfs/NPB2007-micro-jacks.pdf

So now we have the nice pins and spring loaded jacks, we lay out a PCB, 20x20 or whatever, with rows of traces connecting the holes for the jacks and pads for connecting the ends, stuff and solder two of em, turn one 90 degrees, then make your sandwich: front panel, thin washers, first pcb, washers to get the spacing right for the diode plugs, second PCB.

Seems entirely feasible if a slightly overall larger matrix wouldn't bother you, or the prospect of making 800 solder joints. If anything it gives room for a slightly larger font for labeling the rows/columns, AND it could be designed to have just the right # of rows columns... (Imagine that thread. .)

With the jacks above (keystone1604A), set with .025 spaceing btwn them, we'd have a front panel with .1 holes for the plugs, set on .195 spacing, center to center. So we're looking at around 4" width for 20 columns plus some extra for the edges. That's not too bad!!!

Yay sunday morning caffeine! Go French Press!!!!!
revtor
oh wait.... $1.29 ea for those jacks at Mouser. . we might have a problem. . . .

d'oh!

It would have to be simple simple brass grommets in combination with pins that were split for some spring action.

back to the drawing board. Dead Banana
mOBiTh
yeah i initially wondered about the jack option but then did the multiplication - makes the ghielmetti seem good value

one thing i will say is that the ghielmetti panels appear to be very high quality - we use them exclusively throughout our new studio complex for analogue and AES. not had any failures yet after a couple of years of use...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Page 1 of 26