MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cutting Aluminium
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Cutting Aluminium
modularplanner
Hi,

I've got a couple of 84HP doepfer blank panels (2 mm anodized aluminium from doepfer site info). I want to cut this into strips to replace the wood in the suitcases with multiples plus other 4 hp modules etc. Is there any particular blade/tool I should be using? I think we have an old Bosch jigsaw in the garage and was thinking this may be suitable provided I can secure down the aluminium plate to cut.

Aluminium Blade
dougcl
modularplanner wrote:
Hi,

I've got a couple of 84HP doepfer blank panels (2 mm anodized aluminium from doepfer site info). I want to cut this into strips to replace the wood in the suitcases with multiples plus other 4 hp modules etc. Is there any particular blade/tool I should be using? I think we have an old Bosch jigsaw in the garage and was thinking this may be suitable provided I can secure down the aluminium plate to cut.

Aluminium Blade

Aluminum is soft, so your jigsaw should work fine. I've had some aluminum sheet cut on a regular table saw that was set up for wood.
RF
Be Careful.
I can't imagine a jig saw will give you decent edges or a straight line.

I've used a table saw with Carbide blade on 1/8 inch aluminum - I have since decided it's better to pay a metal shop a few $$ to cut it.
If it catches on a circular table saw blade you will have your panel embedded in either yourself or the nearest wall. (My garage wall has a scar!)

ambulance
Years ago a friend of mine lost use of several fingers after a table saw incident - be sure you know what you are doing before you decide to cut it yourself.
Luka
we just got a table saw
im having bets on which one of my housemates looses their fingers first

i use a angle grinder with a thin plate to cut alu
need a steady hand
but once your practiced you will cuts pretty straight
modularplanner wrote:
Hi,

I think we have an old Bosch jigsaw in the garage ]

no never cut with jigsaw if u need percision or u should have a guide,but immagine would be dificult to clamp on little metal pieces,so cut with hand metal saw.
hbc
I was able to cut a big blank doepfer panel to the desired size by scoring it with a sharp utility knife a bunch of times, then putting it in a vice and snapping it. Very clean, precise cut.
hbc
oh yeah, and in non-modularland (installing vinyl railings with tubular aluminum post reinforcement) we always used a reciprocating saw. Finished edges were not a priority here.
the bad producer
I'm with hbc on this, get a sharp stanley knife, and a decent metal ruler, and score, score, score, score etc. (don't press too hard the first few times, as it may 'jog' the ruler) I'd do quite a few cuts before trying to snap it.

Like loads.

Also I score both sides before snapping (in a vice, or clamped between bits of wood)

Nice clean cut!
Reptil
I prefer to use this. razz

and then file down the edges to the correct size
I don't like table saws. had one, sold it.
krisp14u
as above Score Vice Snap
works a treat w00t
I have used this technique on 2mm aluminium a lot in the past
modularplanner
Hmm not thought of scoring it. I shall give that a go first, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be sure to post pics when done.
Reptil
krisp14u wrote:
as above Score Vice Snap
works a treat w00t
I have used this technique on 2mm aluminium a lot in the past

could you post a link to an example?
Googling it didn't yield the desired results, and english is not my first language so score vice snap doesn't ring any bells here. Homer Simpson
I apologise for my ignorance. Mr. Green
modularplanner
I think it just means score a lot of lines in both sides of the aluminium using a metal ruler or T-Square to keep a straight line with a stanley knife/box cutter. Then put the metal in a vice to hold it steady and snap it along the scored line to break off.
wetterberg
my dad-in-law has this most amazing table saw with all the trimmings - one cubic-meter of pure awesome. No need for filing anything down, it's just done.
SOFTWIRE
For the best quality i would take it to a metal shop and have them shear it. that is how doepfer gets them cut in the first place. It shouldn't be more than a couple bucks. just call ahead and let em know what you want.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1