MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

linndrum ii delayed yet again
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author linndrum ii delayed yet again
authorless
it looks like the linndrum ii is delayed yet again. i have had money set aside for it since it was announced at winter in '07. so, do i give up, give in, quell my discouragement with modules?
shamann
Why did you want it? If you have a need you thought would be filled by it, then I would look elsewhere, as it likely won't be out for a while and probably won't do anything that the initial mock-up suggested.

If you wanted it just because, then wait, as there's a good chance it'll be made, and even if it isn't, you'll have some spare cash stowed away in the end.
Reptil
It doesn't surprise me. Maybe they've run out of cash, or stopped the R&D for some reason, but I'm not seeing this on my horizon. Could be wrong though.. why not shoot the guy an email?

Alternative?
Did you look at the Jomox or Spectralis?
Spectralis can do a lot of things, and the newer Jomoxes can sample too now I found out. Have an older Jomox Xbase09 (toktok version), but it doesn't sync to external clock well.. hmm proceed with caution with these Jomoxes if you want to sync.
MPC 1000 is another option. so is the MFB 522!! (tiny machine, huge sound)
I'm using a very grainy Korg ES-1. fun machine!
good fat bass though..
you could also get an old EMU SP1200.

But.....
If I were you I'd get some modules. MFB and A-Sol. You'll bypass the whole midi sync issue. Modular is more fun IMO.
Ranxerox
You could look into a Jomox Xbase 888 instead; seems to be a bit like Camembert cheese though, some people like it and some don't. I've got it on my shopping list FWIW Guinness ftw!
NV
Out of curiosity, what is it about the LinnDrum II that has you interested over the other offerings? Not trying to dissuade you at all, I'm just curious what makes it appealing. Honestly you are the first person I've heard from who seemed more than passingly interested in it.
tragedybysyntax
I kind of had my eye on the Linndrum II as well... HOWEVER! What I've been doing lately is using my 606 with individual outs/two trigger outs and using that as the main focal point of the drums. I can run individual outs into my four channels of Stilton for boosting... then each can go to a diff filter/module... bring it all back to a mixer and re-sum. Having the 2 trigger outs easily fire my sequential switch and clock dividers to get the ball rolling. I'm really wanting to get my alesis HR-16 sync'd to the 606 for instant glory. that MFB 522 looks sick but... teeny tiny lil knobs. I might still check it out but..... I'm honestly thinking about just doing a 3U of nothing but drum modules. It really is the other alternative to drum boxes (even tho I really wish a 808 wasnt fucking 2k because I'd LOVE TO HAVE ONE) smile
tragedybysyntax
SCHLAGZWERG
authorless
my understanding of it initially was it would fall somewhere between the MPCs and the machinedrum but would also have a couple of analog voices. but i have thought about it and i think i am going to get a couple of modules.
science
It sounds like they're planning to basically turn it into another cheap, boring drum machine in favor of selling more... rather than the innovative, high end box it was initially intended to be.

Count me out. He should have just hung it up while he was on top of his game, because clearly this sequel is bound for failure.
Reptil
tragedybysyntax wrote:
I kind of had my eye on the Linndrum II as well... HOWEVER! What I've been doing lately is using my 606 with individual outs/two trigger outs and using that as the main focal point of the drums. I can run individual outs into my four channels of Stilton for boosting... then each can go to a diff filter/module... bring it all back to a mixer and re-sum. Having the 2 trigger outs easily fire my sequential switch and clock dividers to get the ball rolling. I'm really wanting to get my alesis HR-16 sync'd to the 606 for instant glory. that MFB 522 looks sick but... teeny tiny lil knobs. I might still check it out but..... I'm honestly thinking about just doing a 3U of nothing but drum modules. It really is the other alternative to drum boxes (even tho I really wish a 808 wasnt fucking 2k because I'd LOVE TO HAVE ONE) smile

behold, rescue is at hand

Acidlab Miami.

Schlagzwerg very cool too. Though I like the sound of the 522 better myself. (highly subjective) the clap and hihat/cymbal ones I want!
applause
science
The Miami sounds great... but am I the only one who gets annoyed at the bobbing video camera thing? hyper
Reptil
I've made some (crappy) videos like that. couldn't stop moving, spoiled the whole thing. hihi

there's more if you click and go to the youtube page
great step - write
looks IMO like a very good clone
bar|none
Spectralis. Crushes the LinnDrum and whatever the LinnDrum II may be. Way more analog than the machine drum and it's not just a beat box...it's an analog synth monster too.

I have no idea your genre...but check this guys stuff out.

http://www.myspace.com/speckiman

Ridiculously cheap to get a Spectralis I right now @$1000 as the II just came out and only difference is the amount of sample RAM.

Sequenced filterbank alone is worth the price.

Combination of the analog filters, drum and groove section + filterbank and effects will give you every analog drum timbre you'll ever need.

2 cents.
JohnLRice
I'm not sure if a MOTM sized x0xb0x would interest you fellers but it's on sale until Friday and looks kinda cool to me:
http://www.thebeast.co.uk/x0xb0x/x0xb0x_offer.html

SepticUnderground
bar|none wrote:
Spectralis. Crushes the LinnDrum and whatever the LinnDrum II may be. Way more analog than the machine drum and it's not just a beat box...it's an analog synth monster too.

I was one of the first to own a spectralis (0.92) but this thing has no chokegroups and very basic drumsequencing... the synth is really great and the sound but tooooo many menus... :( At least that was the case when I sold him due to the lack of updating the drumsynthparts....BTW the drumkits sold inside with the spectralis are made by me hehe.

Vermona DRM1-MKIII ftw ! razz
bar|none
> but this thing has no chokegroups and very basic drumsequencing...

You're right. It's not a dedicated drum machine so definitely depends on your definition and what you are aiming for. There was no groove editing until recently and that was an issue for me as I'm not going for straight tempo techno. The sequenced filterbank though is a completely new dimension for cool rythmns.

It is very complex and deep to use (hard to learn), so not the best choice if you just want a straight drum machine with little hassle factor.

>....Crushes the LinnDrum
I shouldn't make such strong statements late at night.
petejm
So what do you guys think would be a good set of drum modules then? I'm in euro or frac so either would be of interest to me (though it's a general question really). I would love a machine drum but I'm thinking that a bunch of good modules and a decent sequencer would probably be just as good (if not more flexible?)

Any thoughts?
authorless
on a side note: i should now have an AFG, polivoks filter and quad LFO next monday.
tragedybysyntax
god damnit that acidlab miami looks REALLY cool! You guys think the 522 over the miami tho? I havent heard either in person.
syntactic
I've been looking forward to the LinnDrum II as well. But decided to use the trigger outs on my 606 with the Tama Techstar modules (202, 204, 206) together with the Frostwave Resonator.

I hope that they don't compromise on quality and features in the end but I think that it will end up like the DSI Mopho which is necessarily not a bad thing.
tragedybysyntax
606 + modular = Lethal! I love the combo with the trigger outs..... I"m thinking about snagging a vermona MKIII with cv ins and a MFB Seq-01. I figure with those two additions and my 606... I can sync up ALOT of analog triggering. Pretty f'ng excited! I know it's a lil more crazy and unorganized than just a beat box and a 1/4" but I dont give a fuck! I think it'd be worth the hassle.
Mr. Sound Boy King
tragedybysyntax wrote:
606 + modular = Lethal! I love the combo with the trigger outs..... I"m thinking about snagging a vermona MKIII with cv ins and a MFB Seq-01. I figure with those two additions and my 606... I can sync up ALOT of analog triggering. Pretty f'ng excited! I know it's a lil more crazy and unorganized than just a beat box and a 1/4" but I dont give a fuck! I think it'd be worth the hassle.

You should do this & then post lots of clips. Drum machines are the best.
syntactic
tragedybysyntax i like your spiders. thanks for the heads up on the SEQ-01e. it's on my wish-list. It's incredibly versatile and surprisingly inexpensive 169 euro (240 us).

i am also intrigued by the flame clockwork - but i'm not sure what else it could allow me to do over and above the SEQ-01e. what do you think?
revtor
With the BeatThang, cheap MPC's, Spectralis, Elektron gear, TeenageEngineering OP1 all out there.. BoomChicks' stepping into a pretty busy marketplace. I hope it does come out and I hope it seriously rocks.. . . . .

I wish they'd keep us more in the loop on it's development!
tragedybysyntax
MPC is something I"m actually thinking about getting, lol.
parasitk
revtor wrote:
With the BeatThang

Let's not and say we did, mmmkay? MY ASS IS BLEEDING
b3nsf
yeeeeaaah, the beat thang, mmmmm, no. razz
tragedybysyntax
acidlab miami.... SCHLAGZWERG.....Oberheim DX....Bent HR-16........ there is ALOT of good boxes out there. F the Linndrum II. Just beat iparasite over the head and steal his original LinnDrum. LOL... just kidding bud! smile
authorless
yeah, i think i am going to do a row of drum modules/trigger sequencer or a schlagzwerg. maybe a tr-606 too, i can do sampled/digital drums on the computer.
pix
yeah I've been waiting for it as well. I can recommend the jomox 999 though. It's quirky and the UI is not straightforward but I've been getting really great stuff out of it. I also think the 999 is worth it vs the 888. Although the filter is a bit noisy it sounds great and gives you lots of happy accidents, and seems to give an extra depth to the sounds. Shaves off some of the 8-bit harshness as well on hats.

and it's a sampler so you can get creative with what you put into it.
tragedybysyntax
My hard decision is..... 808 for about 1750$ Or... Vermona MK2 for 1K plus $250 for a Seq-01. Or.... Miami Acidlab for around 1K. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Of course either path I take will be sync'd up to the 606/Hr-16.
richard
i really think the ish with the vermona is whether you can deal with the hihats and and cymbals or not

also no memory and its really too big for normal gigging considering you need a sequencer too

sounds pretty great otherwise tho

Richard
tragedybysyntax
well it wouldnt be getting gigged with. I guess an mfb seq-01 would be a good companion?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 2