MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cabient style?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Cabient style?
zthee
I need some help choosing sides for the cabinet of my modular.

Which would look best? Or a third option perhaps?

I've been thinking about an option that folds together, not like the Buchla, since I have 4 panels. But I'm having problems with the construction. I'll try to make a drawing of it..

Thanks!
Babaluma
cabient style? is that a new type of music i am unaware of?

cabaret voltaire vs. ambient?

sorry, only pulling your leg!

designs look nice. i prefer the lower one.
zthee
Ha! grin I changed the title, but changed it back. I kinda like the word Cabient.

The lower one is a bit more VCS3 like. I kinda prefer that myself as well!
BugBrand
The only thing to be aware of is whether cables will get in the way of one another in between the different angles - this is particularly the case with stacked bananas! But your panels may work ok as I think Serge style has a reasonable amount of space top & bottom - otherwise you'd likely need a bit of extra space at the bend (especially on the lower design)

I am speaking from my experience with DIY'd end-cheeks - I did a 45deg one and then discovered that the cables would get in the way too much!

zthee
Thanks!

Good point!

I thought about the knobs but missed the cables. Hmm. Have to think about it a bit more now grin
BananaPlug
The top one, more angles but shallower angles, will have a less of a problem with stacked plugs. I built one like that and lessened the angles a bit more by not having the lowest section be flat. It was nice that way, with a slight slope like some mixing consoles have.
just be aware that a panel completely horizontal like in the first pic is enoying to work with when u sitting down in front of it .
zthee
BananaPlug wrote:
It was nice that way, with a slight slope like some mixing consoles have.

Have it in a slope would be nice.

Came up with a third and fourth (wilder) option!

Let's make it in 5mm thick alu! Mr. Green
zthee
2012 wrote:
just be aware that a panel completely horizontal like in the first pic is enoying to work with when u sitting down in front of it .

Very true.. Hm.. Have to think about this.
sanders
FWIW, here´s another Buchla solution to the folding cabient, although with 5 rows:

Luka
wild designs zthee
cbm

I really wish there was a modern Buchla cabinet like that.

Mmm... forty modules...
emergencyofstate
cbm wrote:

I really wish there was a modern Buchla cabinet like that.

Mmm... forty modules...

There is a "buchla inspired" folding case that Randaleem is offering. Don't know the exact design yet.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4619
pickleinn
i really like this one randaleem is offering:

http://synthcase.com/products-page/stationary-cases/cal-arts-4-row-pre order/
zthee
sanders wrote:
FWIW, here´s another Buchla solution to the folding cabient, although with 5 rows:

Oh, I remeber seeing this a while back. It's kinda ugly. But gives me a new hide about how I might do a folding case.

And I'm bound to end up with more then 4 panels in the near future hihi

Spoke to a friend yesterday, and he said we should do something with a gas spring, so you just unlock it and it unfolds itself! Now that would be awesome. Need to think about it a bit more though..
sanders
zthee wrote:

Oh, I remeber seeing this a while back. It's kinda ugly. But gives me a new hide about how I might do a folding case.

I really like the design. To me, it looks very arts+crafts/ nouveau.

One thing that can be misleading in this picture is the overall size. I've seen one of these cabinets in person, and it's much less imposing than it looks in the photo. It pretty much fits on a desk top.

BTW, the photos are from http://www.synthtech.com/pix/buchla/
cbm
zthee wrote:
Oh, I remeber seeing this a while back. It's kinda ugly.

Really? I quite like it.

It's pretty compact and portable, considering how many modules it holds. I don't know the dimensions exactly, but it's probably something like three feet wide, two feet and change deep, and maybe about two feet tall. It has a nice flight case.
zthee
What bothers me is the top shape when it's folded. The bend don't seem to fit the style. It's a bit to organic, but not organic enough to make a statement. If you understand what I mean.

hmmm.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1