MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

seqSQUARED Assembly Help Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author seqSQUARED Assembly Help Thread
hexinverter
Please post here for assistance if you have any problems building your seqSQUARED!

Here are the manuals, for your reference:

Bill of Materials: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvD8ZRA_UZL8dGNMdWFsQlZDd GlydmZ3NERYR2NKYnc

Assembly Manual: http://www.hexinverter.net/public/seqSQUARED_ASSEMBLYMANUAL.pdf

User Manual: http://www.hexinverter.net/public/seqSQUARED_USERMANUAL.pdf

Custom Panel Guide: http://hexinverter.net/public/seqSQUARED_CUSTOMPANELGUIDE.pdf
tragedybysyntax
Ma Brutha's got his own subforum now too!!!! BADASS DUDE!!! Much much much deserved..... Congrats smile
hexinverter
tragedybysyntax wrote:
Ma Brutha's got his own subforum now too!!!! BADASS DUDE!!! Much much much deserved..... Congrats smile


Haha, aww thanks man, though, your work is every bit as interesting as mine smile
JohnLRice
thumbs up
oversee
Nice one, Hex! SlayerBadger!
HueMonContact
Really excellent project!
I plan on building one very soon.

Now lets talk templates...
Do you have a template so people can get custom panels made?

I would need one in euro.
hexinverter
HueMonContact wrote:
Really excellent project!
I plan on building one very soon.

Now lets talk templates...
Do you have a template so people can get custom panels made?

I would need one in euro.


Very nice smile

You have inspired me to create a "Panel Planning" document that provides some information for making a panel yourself. It will include drill/parts placement templates for eurorack.

I will post back here once that is done. It is mostly complete now...expect it up in a day or so!
hexinverter
HueMonContact wrote:

Do you have a template so people can get custom panels made?.


Alright, the document is done! Templates are inside smile

Follow this link to download the custom panel guide: http://hexinverter.net/public/seqSQUARED_CUSTOMPANELGUIDE.pdf
netpusher
Hi Hex! Can you post some photos of the PCB's populated with the components?

Thanks!
hexinverter
netpusher wrote:
Hi Hex! Can you post some photos of the PCB's populated with the components?

Thanks!


Sure thing!...going to be a little bit though, as I do not have a decent camera handy for awhile! I will try and get some cell phone images but it's just about guaranteed to have very little detail that way...

When you're spending all your money on PCBs and stuff it's hard to invest in a decent quality camera of your own...so I have to borrow my girlfriend's Dead Banana
netpusher
hexinverter wrote:
netpusher wrote:
Hi Hex! Can you post some photos of the PCB's populated with the components?

Thanks!


Sure thing!...going to be a little bit though, as I do not have a decent camera handy for awhile! I will try and get some cell phone images but it's just about guaranteed to have very little detail that way...

When you're spending all your money on PCBs and stuff it's hard to invest in a decent quality camera of your own...so I have to borrow my girlfriend's Dead Banana


I can understand that!

I did start my assembly and I am running into an issue while testing the +V according to the assembly manual. I am getting only +5v on pin 14 of IC7, but I should be getting +12v (eurorack) right? I don't want to risk putting any IC's in before I can figure out if there is an issue here.
hexinverter
netpusher wrote:
hexinverter wrote:
netpusher wrote:
Hi Hex! Can you post some photos of the PCB's populated with the components?

Thanks!


Sure thing!...going to be a little bit though, as I do not have a decent camera handy for awhile! I will try and get some cell phone images but it's just about guaranteed to have very little detail that way...

When you're spending all your money on PCBs and stuff it's hard to invest in a decent quality camera of your own...so I have to borrow my girlfriend's Dead Banana


I can understand that!

I did start my assembly and I am running into an issue while testing the +V according to the assembly manual. I am getting only +5v on pin 14 of IC7, but I should be getting +12v (eurorack) right? I don't want to risk putting any IC's in before I can figure out if there is an issue here.


Uh-oh! Sorry for the confusion man. I made a mistake waah

As I was hastily typing up the assembly manual, I forgot that IC7 is powered with +5V, and not +12V...d'uh. Dead Banana

Will fix that and re-upload the manual so it does not trip anyone else up.

To sum it up: +5V is perfectly normal on IC7 smile

EDIT: I have now corrected and re-uploaded the file on my server.
Etamin
Hi Hex

Is there a schematic somewhere?

Mine is working fine, except CV4 or 'D' is dead - whatever goes in, 0v comes out. So a schematic would save me some time tracing back whatever I did wrong. d'oh!

Thanks, Peter
hexinverter
Etamin wrote:
Hi Hex

Is there a schematic somewhere?

Mine is working fine, except CV4 or 'D' is dead - whatever goes in, 0v comes out. So a schematic would save me some time tracing back whatever I did wrong. d'oh!

Thanks, Peter


I've been a bit slow on the uptake with schematics lately. Sorry 'bout that! I'll get one on the site for you in a moment...
hexinverter
Etamin wrote:
Hi Hex

Is there a schematic somewhere?

Mine is working fine, except CV4 or 'D' is dead - whatever goes in, 0v comes out. So a schematic would save me some time tracing back whatever I did wrong. d'oh!

Thanks, Peter


Scroll down, here, and you will find them smile

http://cv.hexinverter.net/?projects=seqsquared
Etamin
Hi Hex

Thanks for the quick reply and your web update. thumbs up

Peter
Etamin
Hi Hex

OK, this is weird, and similar to a problem I had with a kit from another vendor. In that case, an LED did not light until I removed the front panel. It turned out that the anode wire was protruding through the plastic shell, and shorting against the panel.

So, CV 4 Input is 'dead' with the Euro Panel attached, but it works when the panel is removed.

After messing around for a while with the panel off, and logic board disconnected, I found I could reproduce the short by pushing on the top edge of the Gate 4 socket. I unsoldered the gate 4 socket and saw that the via from CV4 en route to the header pins, is immediately below the shell of the socket - just below (south of) the G.D lettering.

So I will take a needle file to the corner of the socket bracket, which should remove the short.

I'll let you know if that fixes it.

Thanks, Peter
hexinverter
Etamin wrote:
Hi Hex

OK, this is weird, and similar to a problem I had with a kit from another vendor. In that case, an LED did not light until I removed the front panel. It turned out that the anode wire was protruding through the plastic shell, and shorting against the panel.

So, CV 4 Input is 'dead' with the Euro Panel attached, but it works when the panel is removed.

After messing around for a while with the panel off, and logic board disconnected, I found I could reproduce the short by pushing on the top edge of the Gate 4 socket. I unsoldered the gate 4 socket and saw that the via from CV4 en route to the header pins, is immediately below the shell of the socket - just below (south of) the G.D lettering.

So I will take a needle file to the corner of the socket bracket, which should remove the short.

I'll let you know if that fixes it.

Thanks, Peter


Ohhhh, yes! That is a very good observation. If pressed down just the right way, it may be that the jack shorts to CV.D through the small exposed via there, effectively shorting CV.D to ground and likely preventing it from working.

If there is a board revision, I will correct this. Thanks for pointing it out!
Etamin
Hi Hex

OK, removing that corner of the socket casing solved the problem. I think that tightening all the socket nuts must have pushed the socket harder against the board.

Yes, if you do another run of boards, just moving that via a couple of mm to the right would solve it.

It certainly had me confused for a while, but all is working fine now, and I am having fun! nanners


Thanks, Peter
hexinverter
Etamin wrote:
Hi Hex

OK, removing that corner of the socket casing solved the problem. I think that tightening all the socket nuts must have pushed the socket harder against the board.

Yes, if you do another run of boards, just moving that via a couple of mm to the right would solve it.

It certainly had me confused for a while, but all is working fine now, and I am having fun! nanners


Thanks, Peter


Haha yeah! It sucks because the via doesn't NEED to be there...it could easily be moved over as you said -- I just had not even thought of it causing problems (it wasn't in my head that the metal part of the jacks were liable to touch there...)

Yay for it working properly. Glad to hear it's all good This is fun!
Etamin
Hi Hex

Well I never tried laying out a PCB, single or double sided, so I can only imagine the complexities, but, there is yet another obviously, relating to the possibility of mechanical interference eek!

It was an interesting puzzle, anyway.

Peter
bkbirge
Finished wiring up my 2nd dual euro board yesterday. The bottom sequencer works but the top one doesn't advance and no clock. It will advance one step if I flip the hold/reset switch up and down. I'm getting CV but it's warbly and pressing on the logic board changes pitch! Also noticed quite by accident that when powered off if I send an lfo into any of the jacks it ends up on the -12v rail! LOL, screwed something up for sure. Up next after fixing this is the seqsquared and then I'll house 2 dual sympleseq's, the seqsquared, and a zeus in a little DIY boat.
bkbirge
Finally got the 2nd dual sympseq working though it's still warbly in the cv out, very touchy, unlike the first one I built. I'll come back to it, at least I have all the functions working as they should.

I built the seqsquared today in a little under 4 hours start to finish, what a great module. It really makes the sympleseq into something really more powerful. It was a very easy build, the instructions are very well written and having a daughterboard makes all the difference (and the resistor networks) to being a quick build.

Nits: 1) The yellow led's are *very* dim, can't see at all side on. I guess this is overcompensating for the blindingness of the blues in the sympleseq?
2) global reset out, it would be nice to be able to reset all the sequencers to 1 at the same time, right now it requires 5 simultaneous quick fingers to do it.

I'm very happy with this module and would recommend the build to anyone with at least a couple sequencers they want to tie together.




hexinverter
bkbirge wrote:
Finally got the 2nd dual sympseq working though it's still warbly in the cv out, very touchy, unlike the first one I built. I'll come back to it, at least I have all the functions working as they should.

I built the seqsquared today in a little under 4 hours start to finish, what a great module. It really makes the sympleseq into something really more powerful. It was a very easy build, the instructions are very well written and having a daughterboard makes all the difference (and the resistor networks) to being a quick build.

Nits: 1) The yellow led's are *very* dim, can't see at all side on. I guess this is overcompensating for the blindingness of the blues in the sympleseq?
2) global reset out, it would be nice to be able to reset all the sequencers to 1 at the same time, right now it requires 5 simultaneous quick fingers to do it.

I'm very happy with this module and would recommend the build to anyone with at least a couple sequencers they want to tie together.


Nice one! Lookin' good.

Yes, the LEDs on seqSQUARED are toned down quite a bit smile They seemed nice on my prototype though! Hmph. Ah yes, did you adjust the LED resistors on sympleSEQ at all for the blue LEDs? They are specced for reds which are still quite bright, but, blue LEDs are nearly twice as bright as reds so you need to double the LED resistors on the control board to compensate when switching LED colours!

Yeah, a global reset out would be nice, but, that would mean four more jacks on seqSQUARED and an even larger panel of course!

I sort of envisioned using a reset signal and sending it to seqSQUARED AND all of your sequencers (so up to 5 splits from the main reset signal). Then when that one source of reset fires, it resets all of them.
bkbirge
Here's a demo tune based around the SympleSeq run through the SeqSquared and triggering an MFB Kraftzwerg euro module. Plus some other hot pants action...

https://soundcloud.com/bkbirge/modular-disco

The SeqSquared is a lot of fun with a pair of dual SympleSeq's, just flipping on/off switches while the sequencers are running and combining with the variable de-multiplexing of the SeqSquared yields a *lot* of possibilities.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group