MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

RE-201 tape?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author RE-201 tape?
b3nsf
damn 70 buxx, shit we get one and mail it back n forth for whoever needs it 8_)
tragedybysyntax
really? someone would let me use it for a few minutes and send it back same day? UPS? I would love whoever would send me one to use! smile
consumed
at the moment i decided on the han-d-mag, i happened to find one locally on craigslist!
tragedybysyntax
OKay so... the delay sounds clean and nice now! BUT! I cant get that long of a tail at the end of the delay...fades too quick. and no oscillation. however... that was just the modular going in and at like 9 o'clock it was red in the VU. Damn u modular levels....lol. So i'll try it tonight attn'd to see if I can get the gain volume around 12 -3 o'clock... it might drive harder to get longer delay and then inevitably into oscillation. WE'LL SEE!
b3nsf
my guess is you'll have to turn way down the input level until it no longer pegs the red, then crank the echo level and repeats all the way up then down to suit your tastes, crank the 201's channel on your mixer... my 201 doesn't work on certain settings on the big dial...could this be a busted head? very frustrating
consumed
my 201 is very sensitive to input levels. i usually cant turn the input up past 9oclock for the modular

if some mode settings dont work for you ben, something is not right. which ones dont work?
b3nsf
I'm not in front of the 201 right now, but I'll describe the problem

well the knob is divided into sections, and the same setting in each section doesn't work, which leads me to believe its a head prob. for example:

section 1 - echo only
1 works
2 works
3 >>>no work<<<
4 works

section 2 - echo and spring verb
5 works
6 works
7 >>>no work<<<
8 works

and so on...... seriously, i just don't get it
chromium
b3nsf wrote:
I'm not in front of the 201 right now, but I'll describe the problem

well the knob is divided into sections, and the same setting in each section doesn't work, which leads me to believe its a head prob. for example:

section 1 - echo only
1 works
2 works
3 >>>no work<<<
4 works

section 2 - echo and spring verb
5 works
6 works
7 >>>no work<<<
8 works

and so on...... seriously, i just don't get it

There might be a prob with the third playback head, labeled as "PB-3" in this pic:

The mode selector positions engage the heads as follows:
1. PB-1
2. PB-2
3. PB-3
4. PB-2 and PB-3
5. PB-1 w/reverb
6. PB-2 w/reverb
7. PB-3 w/reverb
8. PB-1 and PB-2 w/reverb
9. PB-2 and PB-3 w/reverb
10. PB-1 and PB-3 w/reverb
11. PB-1, PB-2 and PB-3 w/reverb

Settings 3 and 7 play off head #3 only, so there might be a problem with that head if you don't get output on those settings.

On positions 4, 9, and 10 you should be hearing two distinct echos in the pattern, and three distinct echos on position 11 - if head #3 is working.
xpander
hmm... i think i paid about $12 for my demag wand.

tragedybysyntax
So i got it sounding really nice actually. Only bitch is I can really hear the splice. It gets REALLY warbly for a second when it goes around that bearing on the last roller before entering the hallway of tape heads. I might have used too much tape (too much before and after the splice) so I'll go make a new one and see what I can do. I've got her oscillating too. smile
panda30y
tragedybysyntax wrote:
So i got it sounding really nice actually. Only bitch is I can really hear the splice. It gets REALLY warbly for a second when it goes around that bearing on the last roller before entering the hallway of tape heads. I might have used too much tape (too much before and after the splice) so I'll go make a new one and see what I can do. I've got her oscillating too. smile

You only need one small piece of tape. I assume you've taped the back and not the magnetic side, the cut is clean and the two ends are perfectly symetrical? Otherwise I can't really think of why you would have an issue.
tragedybysyntax
well i think it's snaggin barely on that last roller because the tape I cut is prolly over 2 inches wide. Too wide I think. We'll see tonight. smile
Babaluma
yeah it takes a few practice runs to get the splice sounding ok, and i never got rid of a slight change in warble completely, as the splice rolled by.
panda30y
I'll ask my boss about tape splicing tomorrow. He does it seemingly on a daily basis, so he should he might have some nice tips to pass along.
haiku-ish
you need an "amagnetic" scissor
for best cut.
haiku-ish
i think you can find stuff here

http://www.elison.biz/fournitu.htm
tragedybysyntax
babaluma.... how come you sold your 201 bud?
panda30y
Well I talked to my boss about a clean splice, and he said the biggest factor might just be that the roland space echo transport is just not very good. But aside from that, he couldn't really offer and mind blowing tips as I was hoping he might have aside from practice makes perfect. seriously, i just don't get it
xpander
did you splice on an editing block?
tragedybysyntax
no... overlapped the tape ends, made a 45 degree cut. lined them up perfectly and put a piece of tape behind it on the shiny side, trimmed the excess overhanging tape and WALAH.
panda30y
oh... i think the editing block would help alot though it might not be worthwhile to invest in one.
tragedybysyntax
like i said tho.... you didnt hear a click or anything when the splice went THRU the hallway of heads. It was warbling right at that bearing roller before entering. almost like it slightly got snagged going around the shaft. I"ll redo it tonight and let you guys know in the morning.
xpander
or just keep it f-d up for its grit.

i do love my 201 dearly...
Chuck E. Jesus
tragedybysyntax wrote:
like i said tho.... you didnt hear a click or anything when the splice went THRU the hallway of heads. It was warbling right at that bearing roller before entering. almost like it slightly got snagged going around the shaft. I"ll redo it tonight and let you guys know in the morning.

did you use splicing tape? regular tape is thicker and could have trouble going through the pinch rollers...
Babaluma
tragedybysyntax wrote:
babaluma.... how come you sold your 201 bud?

it was around the time i was switching from keyboards and complete synths to going fully modular. i had an ms-20 and an re-201 and gradually replaced the functionality with frac rack modules, so sold them. got a pair of blacet time machines instead (which i still have and love to bits). by feeding the time machines a slewed random cv into their delay time inputs, you can kind of emulate the the tape wobble/wow and flutter (i use a psycho lfo), but it's not the same.

i also got sick of the amount of maintenance required, and the size and weight of the thing.

the re-201 had a very distinct sound though, and i do miss that.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2