MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Just bought a Prophet 2000
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Just bought a Prophet 2000
markjamesriver
Picked up one for $200. Seemed like a good deal to me just for the analog side of it. Received it last Friday. At first I just messed with the 12 (yes, a huge 12) presets it loads off ROM. I was not impressed and was rethinking why the hell I bought this 45 pound, 61 key monstrosity.

Well, I have figured out how to sample properly and use the multi-timbrality (sp?) to my advantage. I think its 8 part multi-timbal, as well as 8 note polyphonic. This thing is the shit! It is a pain saving to 3.5 floppy if you get something really good, but I like the nostalgia of it. Once I got used to it, sampling is a breeze. The 12 bit sampling at 31KHz through the Analog Filters and VCA is very pleasing to me. Sort of like creamy VHS.

Sampling analog waveforms from my modular and playing them polyphonically is a blast and sounds huge as hell. I will never use Ableton's Sampler again.

Anyone else have one of these? Would like to hear your thoughts/stories.
b3nsf
I have the prophet-3000 and Studio 440, Sequential samplers have a huge fat sound, even running audio thru them (during the sampling set-up) sounds like a magic filter, playing with tiny loops and loop point stuff can be rewarding in ways that are different from what you'd expect! thumbs up
CJ Miller
Nice find. I have come very, very close to getting Sequential samplers several times. I think they sound great, but I can justify having only so many samplers. Same deal with Emax. Still might happen sometime.
Thighpaulsandra
I bought a 2000 when it came out. Always loved the sound of it. The filters (Curtis?) are great and once you get the hang of the OS it's a breeze to get around. I used to love doing drums on it for some reason and "Stack" mode was fantastic for producing huge chords. I even did some programming for PIL. This was on the "Album" tour and they had three of them on stage. Always very reliable.
Can't remember what made me sell it.....probably the lure of an Akai S3200 but I've always wanted another or preferably a 2002. I've still got my whole library which I can play in my Oberheim DPX-1.....but it's not the same by a long way.

Thighp
berenie
I've got the 2000 and 2002, got them for less than the ensoniq mirage's i usualy see on action, can you believe that!?

the 2000 came with some official sequential and synthesizerstudios Bonn Matten & Wiechers disks.. cool stuff!

anyone interested in swapping/trading official or third party disks for the prophet? p2k (prophet2012 editor) or disk image (omniflop) format?
tron23
berenie wrote:
I've got the 2000 and 2002, got them for less than the ensoniq mirage's i usualy see on action, can you believe that!?

the 2000 came with some official sequential and synthesizerstudios Bonn Matten & Wiechers disks.. cool stuff!

anyone interested in swapping/trading official or third party disks for the prophet? p2k (prophet2012 editor) or disk image (omniflop) format?

Do you have an HXC in there? The original floppy in mine died and I am seriously thinking of adding one, can you share any images? Guinness ftw!
doombient.music
The P2000 was my first major keyboard purchase in 1990 -- I bought it because I had the chance to get some excellent Mellotron sounds for it (which I used for ages... up to 2012, actually).

Also did a little bit of sampling myself but I found its sample memory to be too limited what I had in mind -- its user-interface isn't exactly intuitive either. Its sound is amazing, though -- its Curtis filters sound very organic and even though it's fairly limited, the sounds that come out of it are a cut above the Mirage or EPS.

Would love to trade mine for a P2002 as I'm running out of space a bit...

Stephen
berenie
tron23 wrote:
can you share any images? Guinness ftw!

sure! send me a pm, although some of them are a bit faulty, do you have any id how to do data recovery on disks? apparently Omniflop can do that..

Quote: "Diagnostics included for advanced support and data recovery"

yep same here.. HxC would be nice!
nuromantix
How is the MIDI timing on the 2002? Is it OK for drums?

I heard some stories about problems on SCI samplers but maybe it was the 3000...... maybe just stories! Would love to know before I drop £££.
berenie
nuromantix wrote:
How is the MIDI timing on the 2002? Is it OK for drums?

I heard some stories about problems on SCI samplers but maybe it was the 3000...... maybe just stories! Would love to know before I drop £££.

I've got some timing problems with my 2000 running an older os, and my 2002 running 4.2 is not that tight either.. like alot of synth stuff... btw

now what is horrible on my 2000 running 3.0 ish.. is when tweaking the analog parameters.. it gets even worse, this is not a problem on my 2002.

but idk.. still a lovely machine wink. ask on what OS its running!

And i usually use midi mode 4.. which is the mode where every midi channel plays just one sound, this way every sample has a bigger pitch range(instead of mapping 16 sounds to 88 keys).

Maybe its midi timing is more steady in the mode's where the prophet is made for, mapping al sounds to the keyboard.
bronko
On my 2002 the MIDI latency is really noticeable. So i would not recommend it for drums. And I can confirm that it is getting horribly sluggish when you start to edit paramaters on the matrix panel.
berenie
bronko wrote:
On my 2002 the MIDI latency is really noticeable. So i would not recommend it for drums. And I can confirm that it is getting horribly sluggish when you start to edit paramaters on the matrix panel.

On what OS is your 2002 running? because my 2002's midi timing is doing fine when editing and playing
jonbstevens
I had a 2002 for a couple of years. Never got along with the os much, but the sound was indeed great. I get along nicely with my mirage and the eps classic, i don't know what that says about me...
nuromantix
Thanks, guess I will pass on it if the timing is that bad.

Berenie, you say in one post that the timing on the 2002
is not that good, then in the next post that it is fine. So which is it? smile thanks!
bronko
berenie wrote:
bronko wrote:

On what OS is your 2002 running? because my 2002's midi timing is doing fine when editing and playing

It's a P2002+ running OS 4.0.
berenie
nuromantix wrote:
Thanks, guess I will pass on it if the timing is that bad.

Berenie, you say in one post that the timing on the 2002
is not that good, then in the next post that it is fine. So which is it? smile thanks!

Oeps, wink.. i would not recommend it for drums either, if you use it for drums you probable need to set things straight in a daw.

Tho i use it for drums, because it's sound is really nice 8_), it does kill my workflow a bit.

What i meant was, on a later OS the ''editing wile playing results in real timing issues issue'' is allot better. that being said.. the overall timing crappyness is just as bad on all the operating systems, get it?! wink
berenie
bronko wrote:

It's a P2002+ running OS 4.0.

I'm running 4.0 to.. not 4.2 d'oh!, On 3.0 it really sucks then.
Sinamsis
Bumping an old thread to see if anyone can offer some insight. Just snagged a 2002 from a fellow wiggler. When I unboxed the unit I heard something clunking around inside. I opened it up and found the transformer had come loose and was knocking around inside. The only thing I can see that was possibly damaged was a resistor near the capacitor looks desoldered. I'm not even sure if this was done by a previous owner intentionally or it was a result of the transformer floating around during the whole shipping process. I did notice that 4 of the 8 voices are acting weird. Basically 4 voices sound normal, 3 are quiet, and one is silent. My gut feeling is it's an issue with the Curtis chips, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. Any thoughts? I've already shot a message out to Wine Country.
Sinamsis
Update: I'm an idiot.... 3 of the voices were quiet because I had bumped the balance when I meant to tweak the volume.... Still one dead voice. Still an idiot....
polykobol
tron23 wrote:
Do you have an HXC in there? The original floppy in mine died and I am seriously thinking of adding one, can you share any images? Guinness ftw!

(Very) late reply but still...

If you want to get rid of floppy disks (and you probably want), HXC is definitely a good buy. However it still uses the floppy interface (it has to!) so it isn't usually that much faster than floppy disks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAdLevcsyng
MindMachine
Sinamsis wrote:
Bumping an old thread to see if anyone can offer some insight. Just snagged a 2002 from a fellow wiggler. When I unboxed the unit I heard something clunking around inside. I opened it up and found the transformer had come loose and was knocking around inside. The only thing I can see that was possibly damaged was a resistor near the capacitor looks desoldered. I'm not even sure if this was done by a previous owner intentionally or it was a result of the transformer floating around during the whole shipping process. I did notice that 4 of the 8 voices are acting weird. Basically 4 voices sound normal, 3 are quiet, and one is silent. My gut feeling is it's an issue with the Curtis chips, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. Any thoughts? I've already shot a message out to Wine Country.

That would be a one in a million shot to snap that resistor and not bash anything else. Wine Country is your best bet.

How are you digging it otherwise? Braving the vintage world is a whole different level.
berenie
@ Sinamsis

Always the balance knob hihi

Off-course switch cems first. I had very low volume on one of the voices, it turned out to be a bad (bulged) cap around the cem.

Are there people interested in a 8 output pcb? should be something like 5,- ish ex shipping, i'm planning on getting some boards made if there is some interrest. circuit is tested and running on stripboard in my 2002.
Sinamsis
MindMachine I'm loving it. But with a bad voice, it's a real pain in the butt. You can't assign a sample to a specific voice, and to a specific out can you? I'm still sifting through the manual and trying to figure it out. Spent quite a few hours yesterday with it. This is the first little jam with it using the modular to control the 2002 and some plugins via the ADDAC 221/222.

Sinamsis
Regarding damage from the loose transformer, I think it was probably fairly limited as the transformer was still tethered to the power inlet. The 8th voice sits directly above the transformer and the resistor sits directly below.

To make matters worse, the seller did not fully insure the package. I know I overpaid on it, but I was expecting a functional unit. Now I'm f'd a little bit haha. What do you think the going rate on a 2002 + would be? It's in terrible condition cosmetically (I personally don't care about that stuff if a synth works).
berenie
Sinamsis wrote:
MindMachine You can't assign a sample to a specific voice, and to a specific out can you? I'm still sifting through the manual and trying to figure it out.

You can, at dynamic allocation select FO (forced output mode). This is more or less drum machine mode ( or mono voice mode) samples 1-8 and samples 9-16 correspond to every single voice (cem). you might want to use midi mode 4 to test this.. midi channel 1-16 correspond to sample 1-16 smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2