MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

favorite MOTMsize modules and exactly why
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author favorite MOTMsize modules and exactly why
dude
hello there. i am designing a MOTM/Bridechamber/MODCAN B/whatever synth and i am seeking more opinions (and would love to give folks an oppurtunity to sound off on which of these 'slightly slimmer than your average 5u beasts' makes their smiles happen most).
the synth planning currently (not that it maters for these purposes) is about 2 vco's one filter one set of lfos some envelopes amps a panner and some freaky digital modules plus god knows what else.

please feel free to expound on the exact functions of said modules which are the high points, after all, we are a very discerning bunch aren't we?

cheers!
sduck
Kind of a narrow question, eh? NOT

I could go on and on.

VCO - get at least one motm 300. They're the best. They rock mightily. They are impervious to indifferent modulation. Once you have one, all the others will seem silly, and if you're like me, you'll end up with at least 2 more. And a 310.

LFO - one cannot have enough lfo's. Get a motm 390 to start - it's the swiss army knife of lfo's. I also find a 320 and 380 to be indispensable.

VCF - I have something like 6, but the one that gets the most use is the motm 440.

EG - I have 4 motm 800's and 2 VCS's. The 800's are cheap and easy. There are lots of other good choices out there.

Panner - I want one too!

Stuff you may have overlooked - VCA's. Motm 190's are fine. Again, there are lots of choices out there. Multiples - get at least 1u worth of them. Mixers are very nice little things to have.

(You may have noted a MOTM bias in my recommendations. Well, there you go - I like the stuff, and am not very apologetic about it. I'm not a paid spokesmodel, however, despite my boyish good looks.)

God knows what else - this is where I've gone crazy, and quite possibly you will too eventually. There's tons of neato stuff out there. If you choose to delve into diy like I have, the sky's your oyster.
goiks
Mankato filter. I use my two both as filter and quad lfo all the time. I don't know much but I know what I like.
JohnLRice
sduck, you speaketh the truth, brother! 8_)

My picks are pretty much the same (based on stuff I own):

VCO: MOTM-300
VCF: MOTM-440
LFO: MOTM-320
EG: MOTM-800
VCA: MOTM-190

Essential Also:
Noise: MOTM-101
LAG: MOTM-820
Mixer: Oakley Multi-Mix

Clock/Switch fun:
Divider: MOTM-730
Switch: MOTM-700

Good Weirdness:
MOTM-510 Wavewarpper
MOTM-485 VCF
Tellun Neural Agonizer reverb (well . . I own all the parts and like the demos . . . so . . why am I wasting time blabbering in the forum instead of builfing it?????? hmmm..... )
sandyb
i'll speak up for modcan hihi

i love them all but if i had to pick a couple of my favourite modcan modules it would be these - they are the ones that i'm starting to think i should own 2 of:

Quad LFO 61B - here's what i wrote in another thread:

i was a bit worried that the paging interface on the quad lfo would be confusing but in general i've found it very straightforward. a couple of times i have accidentally edited the wrong lfo but i found i very quickly got used to making the "which lfo am i editing" selection the first thing i check/do before tweaking anything else.
i've hardly touched some of the features yet - wave transform is one that i have yet to really play with. i've found the none transformed waves so good and extensive that i haven't felt the need to. i've only done a little with the 3 modes (normal,quad and rotate) the module offers. quad and rotate definitely have some interesting possibilities. i have a couple of patch ideas - just need the time to try them out!
other then the extensive waves the main thing i really like about the module is the modulation selection. the gate and cv inputs both have an associated button that can change which parameter they modulate. for example - the cv input can control either frequency,amplitude,transform or wave. this parameter modulation selection is not global - it can be defined for each of the four lfos by the press of a button.
the other thing i've found *really* useful is the ability to change (again, with a button press and individually for each lfo) the polarity of the lfos. so, you can have it putting out positive voltages only, negative voltages only or both.

VCDO 58B

a whole pile of FM goodness in one sleek white package. great modulation options. can go into lfo range and, most importantly, it can make noises like this:
http://emptynoises.bandcamp.com/track/vcdo-long

It's peanut butter jelly time!
thermionicjunky
The MOTM modules that I want aren't available yet, so I'll mention some Modcan modules as well.

CV Recorder : Could be overwhelming because the possibilities are limitless.
This is why I love it. I get to design it's function at every session.

Delay effects: Super Delay (discontinued), VC Flanger (possibly also discontinued - BBD chips), Digital Delay ... they just sound amazing and the voltage control features are delicious. The Digital Delay avoids crackling digital artifacts with a crossfade function, which will smoothly chop up your audio when heavily modulating the delay time.

I'm waiting for my VCDO now and anxiously awaiting the MOTM 520/521 and 102.
JohnLRice
thermionicjunky wrote:

I'm waiting for my VCDO now and anxiously awaiting the MOTM 520/521 and 102.

What is the MOTM-102 supposed to be? I can't remember!

I'm also interested in the new MOTM fiters and especialy the sequencer . . . .
JohnLRice
Hey, I forgot to ist the MOTM-650 MIDI -> CV!!!! Very cool!

Dude, what type of controller(s) are you panning to use on your MOTM/MODCAN rig?
thermionicjunky
JohnLRice wrote:

It started as just a replacement for the 101 noise, but now it looks like it will be some kind of digital cv-recording shift register as well. So, instead of just passing on a static sampled level at each output, it will sample continuously for a period of time.
JohnLRice
thermionicjunky wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

It started as just a replacement for the 101 noise, but now it looks like it will be some kind of digital cv-recording shift register as well. So, instead of just passing on a static sampled level at each output, it will sample continuously for a period of time.

Ahhhhh! Thank you!
doctorvague
MOTM 440 filter
it just sounds great and has lots of inputs and an attenuverter FM input which I find extremely useful. Of all the filters I've heard, it's my favorite.

Modcan VCDO
another fan of this module. Wonderful sound and compliments analog VCO's very nicely. Damn fine LFO too. Brilliant design IMO. Even in complex patches the VCDO pops through and many times ends up being the most interesting sonic element or a major part of it. Setting bit destruction and those sorts of uses aside, as far as basic sound quality I think it sounds better than a Miniwave, which I have in Frac format.
MrDys
Modcan: Quad LFO 61B, Dual Quantizer
Both of these end up in just about every patch I make. The Quad LFO can give you some booming sub-bass tones, too.
goiks
Oops, weird double post.
sandyb
goiks wrote:
Mankato filter. I use my two both as filter and quad lfo all the time. I don't know much but I know what I like.

so good you posted it twice eh?

smile
sduck

seriously, i just don't get it

edit - don't worry about the double post - it really is a cool filter/vco/lfo/etc! I just spent about an hour wanking on mine.
goiks
Sorry, posted from a phone, I'll crawl back into my cave now. I do really like playing the Mankato with a theremin module, though. Nice for wobbly bass.
parasitk
Holy crap the Modcan VCDO and DVDO are awesome. I had a blast playing with them last night. we're not worthy
ach_gott
Also, don't forget about Oakley built by krisp1. With the triple lag and triple VCA you can pack in a lot of functionality into a small space and good budget. At one time he'd mentioned a triple AR EG which would be fantastic. You can't beat his VC-ADSR for the bang/buck factor and I'd recommend picking one up to use as your primary EG.
dude
wow lots of votes for the modcan quad lfo. i was looking more into the quad envelope and a simpler lfo as i already have so man y lfo's laying about anyways. and did i hear something about one of the modcanb vdo or dual vdo being discontinued ? john, in terms of controllers, i like to use c/v from existing synths as well as their built i sequencers. i am not a fan of modular midi currently. i tend to use software for midi and modularish things for intense sound sculpting and c/v insanity (no proper tracking necessary for that bit!).
sandyb
dude wrote:
wow lots of votes for the modcan quad lfo. i was looking more into the quad envelope and a simpler lfo as i already have so man y lfo's laying about anyways. and did i hear something about one of the modcanb vdo or dual vdo being discontinued ? john, in terms of controllers, i like to use c/v from existing synths as well as their built i sequencers. i am not a fan of modular midi currently. i tend to use software for midi and modularish things for intense sound sculpting and c/v insanity (no proper tracking necessary for that bit!).

it's the modcan analogue dual oscillator (46B) that has or is going to be (not sure what the current situation is) discontinued, not the digital oscillators - the vcdo (58B) or dvdo (62B)

sandy
werock
ach_gott wrote:
Also, don't forget about Oakley built by krisp1. With the triple lag and triple VCA you can pack in a lot of functionality into a small space and good budget. At one time he'd mentioned a triple AR EG which would be fantastic. You can't beat his VC-ADSR for the bang/buck factor and I'd recommend picking one up to use as your primary EG.

The AR EG is great. I've got one from, well, I don't know how many years ago Tony originally put it out. But anyway it has separate AD/AR outputs (controlled fro the same Decay/Release pot) and it has a very nice 'shape' (if that's the word) - the decay sounds very natural. I wish I had built more of them at the time as I prefer the response to my ADSR's. I built it into a 2U panel with 2 of the original Oakley Little VCAs (BA6110 version).
dude
oh cool thanks sandy...i was thinking about the single vdo but the stereo out isn't something that i want in my setup and the dual seemed like some new functionality or at least unorthodox options for oscillator and john. the on reason i want the li' osc from MOTM is that variable wave shape! i didn't see that feature on the other guys. i may not have looked hard enough though. i am still on the fence about lfo's as i have so many lying around. the modcan quad looks amazing but then i would literally have like 10 lfos. now i know "you can never have enough lfos" and all, but if i had to choose in a concise setup between abbreviating lfos or envelopes, i say lfo's get abbreviated first as currently cyclic envelopes have me VERY impressed and will end up getting c/v mixed in with complex set of lfos that are already here! i am stuck on the 440 vs mankato filters and only have room for one.
JohnLRice
dude wrote:
reason i want the li' osc from MOTM is that variable wave shape! i didn't see that feature on the other guys. i may not have looked hard enough though.

It is a nice feature but I'm pretty sure it isn't anything you couldn't do with two or more static waveforms and a mixer. I really miss not having a pure sine output on the 310!
dude
ok now i can finally add my .02 modcan b dual lfo. modulating the modulator gets amazing results and the multifunctionality is inspirational.
Fnord
My favorite is the 940 patch panel, because I'm a multi format junkie.
440 filter and sub octave multiplexer are made of awesome.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5