MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

HSS3jb audio/video synthesizer now available!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author HSS3jb audio/video synthesizer now available!
mrfang
The Hard Soft Synth 3jb is the new audio/video synthesizer by noisemaker extraordinaire, Gieskes.

It features 15 modes of audio/video excellence, each with 4-5 variables of control. There are also 8 video-only modes designed for use with the trigger and audio inputs. An adjustable analog filter keeps everything smooth (or as gnarly as you’d like).

The HSS3jb can produce all the same audio and video as the HSS3i, but it adds many more color options and controls as well as a more stable and and colorful video output.

Feature list:
- 15 audio+video modes and 8 video-only modes.
- RCA, S-video, and VGA video out.
- Audio, IR, and trigger input as well as trigger out. IR with Handmade Music Austin or Gieskes devices,
hook it up to a modular via trigger or use the audio input to control the sounds and video of the HSS3i.
- Analog low-pass filter controlled via photocell.
- MIDI input controls device parameters.
- Circuit bending, color switching, fade, and individual color controls for video. Bend switches are only available on the Bleep Labs version.
- New enclosure and more compact design (5.5″ x 3.5″ x 2.5″).

The new enclosure, available only from Bleep Labs, features etched acrylic plates. This is fun!

More details, video, and user guide:
http://bleeplabs.com/hss3jb/

mrfang
numan7
woah how cool!

have you or gieskes tested it out with video-rate signals into the audio inputs (i.e., will i be able to patch it with lzx visionary or other video synths as a processor - tho i suppose that would require a genlock input)?

also, are there any demo videos for it yet?

cheers
mrfang
numan7 wrote:

have you or gieskes tested it out with video-rate signals into the audio inputs (i.e., will i be able to patch it with lzx visionary or other video synths as a processor - tho i suppose that would require a genlock input)?

also, are there any demo videos for it yet?

At 1:12 in this video from Gieskes, you can see a video signal being routed to the audio input:

So yes, it should work with LZX gear, at least in some way.

There isn't a comprehensive demo video, but between the video above (Gieskes' version without bend switches) and the video in my first post, most features are covered.
tachyons+
hyper Guinness ftw! eek! we're not worthy woah thumbs up nanners screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! love
Backroads
Ha, I was going to start a thread about this. 8_)

As someone completely new to video synthesis, this looks AWESOME! and for less than 4x !
mrfang
As an update, please order today if you'd like to get one of the first 25 units! After these initial 25, there will be a time delay while we wait for more PCBs.
Backroads
How long of a delay do you expect?
mrfang
Backroads wrote:
How long of a delay do you expect?

Now looking like only 1-2 weeks. 8_)
Tubeampguy
I received mine last week from Switched On. Its amazing plus has great sounds too! It's peanut butter jelly time! video time!
Backroads
Mine arrived today! I'll post some shots/video once I figure it out.
spaceship
If I didn't already have a large LZX system I would be all over this in a heartbeat! It looks so cool.
neilbaldwin
Finished building mine over the weekend. It's a massively fun box of tricks!

Just wondered if anyone knows what the BENDS switches are supposed to do. I can't seem to see any effect on the video output (it says on Bleep Labs that it only affects the composite output which is the only one I've tried so far)

Love the fact that you can abuse it with MIDI and CV triggers simultaneously. Be interesting to have a crack at the code too - that's right up my street.
mrfang
neilbaldwin wrote:

Just wondered if anyone knows what the BENDS switches are supposed to do. I can't seem to see any effect on the video output (it says on Bleep Labs that it only affects the composite output which is the only one I've tried so far)

I guess you have the HSS3i, which was available as a kit?

The bend switches are each wired to surface mount components on the video converter itself; that's how they glitch the video output.
neilbaldwin
Finally got around to recording something with the HSS3jb.

Video (and audio) recorded into a rather cheap (but reasonable) USB video capture box (had to replace my busted one but I can't afford to be spending a massive amount on 'fun' stuff at the moment).

The HSS3 controls are are accessible via MIDI CC #s including the 'patch select' control (chooses between 16 different generating algorithms) so I made a Max4Live device to translate MIDI notes into CC 25s so that I could sequence the patch selection with a step sequencer. The patches are essentially being selected at random (got Numerology running it with a 16 step pattern with arbitrary notes, random jump on every step).

Anyway, just a test really. Quite a fun little device. Even has it's own 3-voice lo-fi audio generation (you can hear a bit of it in the track) but a lot of the patches have a rhythmic element which doesn't fit well with the random nature of the patch selection in this demo so I kept it well back in the mix. You could do some interesting stuff with it though by making deliberate patterns to hit the more interesting patches.

https://vimeo.com/53278293

(Also just noticed that about two-thirds in the audio gets messed up and goes out of phase, I'll try uploading it again as it might be Vimeo encoding)
mrfang
Nice!
Howie_Doodat
rad video!
I'm wanting this to use only as a video synth controlled by the audio input, which will be my session from ableton, which will then be projected behind me for live performances.
How well will this be able to modulate/sync the video to music if im sending it a full mix of drum tracks, basslines, synths, etc etc..?
can i simply set it and forget it and do minor knob tweaks throughout and get a good dynamic range of video effects?
mrfang
The audio and trigger inputs control different things depending on what mode you're in and whether the HSS is generating audio and video or video only; see the user guide here: http://bleeplabs.com/hss3i-user-guide/

It responds best to rhythmic inputs like beats, and changes based on a full mix may be less noticeable, but we recommend experimenting!

The HSS is out of stock this week but we're building more right now, and there are some available through a couple of our distributors including Control (NYC): http://www.ctrl-mod.com/product-p/bleep-labs-hss3jb.htm
mrfang
As an update, the HSS3jb is back in stock and ships in 1-2 days. 8_)

http://bleeplabs.com/store/hss3jb/
AuralAntithesis
Just started a Euro system, but have had the HSS3jb for a few months...

after some experiments today, i love this thing cant wait to use it in a live setup.. didn't even get in to the midi stuff yet just audio/trigger ins for modulation.

i will try to have a video soon as well!

surprised there is not more talk about this little beast!
waves_of_awesome
Can someone please post or link some demos of it reacting to external audio?
neilbaldwin
Mine is up for sale if anyone is interested.

It was in the For Sale forum but the post has lapsed: PM me for details.
fdre3wsd
Also, I have an assembled Schele Mixer for sale.
krz
Outta stock at Bleep as of ...
Ginko
My partner is interested in getting into DIY video synthesis and building some stuff from the ground up, got in touch with Gijs Gieskes who designed the HSS3j synths and have had some brief conversations, he has a new black and white videosynth called the Oscillatoscope (I think) that he sells as a kit and will ship direct. Just so you know thumbs up

Would like to get a hss3jb still though!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2