Moon Modular 511C VC-EG

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

Post Reply
drewtoothpaste
.
Posts: 2101
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:36 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Moon Modular 511C VC-EG

Post by drewtoothpaste » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:22 am

Anyone have/used one of these?

http://www.lunar-experience.com/511c.html

Image

I'm thinking about picking one up but I'd like to see if anyone has experiences with their lead times/etc.

User avatar
bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret
Posts: 5842
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Post by bwhittington » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:49 am

Drew, I've lusted after that one, too. The last time I checked, the distributor listed on their site kept them in stock. The US shipping cost so outrageous that it must have been an error, though, so you would probably want to send an email to confirm the rate instead of buying through the website. Might be worth looking into.

Moon's shipping cost isn't cheap, either. That was discussed somewhat in the COTK Ordering thread, also near the top of the 5U section right now.

Cheers,
Brian

User avatar
Scaff
Elbe Kontrollspannungsverein
Posts: 1443
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:47 am
Location: Hamburg

Post by Scaff » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:38 pm

I have one in my rig! Great modul and also well build! Try to buy via Schneider and ask them about the shipping costs. Maybe they will ship it cheaper than Moon will do.
If your system doesn't sound good enough, you haven't spent enough

MyPasswordIs123456
Common Wiggler
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:41 pm

Post by MyPasswordIs123456 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:40 pm

I did buy mine directly from the manufacturer. Well worth the price, works just as expected. The sustain voltage control is ideal for quick patching of vibrato. I get much better result this way than fiddling with the Q109 envelope. I also love the envelope amount control, very handy.

edit: just seen you ask about their lead times, module was in stock and they shipped it right away.

User avatar
bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret
Posts: 5842
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Post by bwhittington » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:31 pm

Yes, I dug up an old thread for this, but I didn't want to start a new thread just to ask:

Is it just my imagination, or is the price of the 511c lower at Noisebug now? It says $320 now. I was thinking it used to be $360.

Cheers,
Brian

User avatar
sduck
experimental use of gravity
Posts: 13864
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:03 pm
Location: Vortepexaion, TN, USA

Post by sduck » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:22 pm

Very cool looking module!

I wonder about the thinking in putting the sustain level pot at the bottom, underneath the release time pot. I guess I'm just used to thinking in terms of ADSR, but I could certainly get used to this arrangement.

I love that it has a gate button. I know the dotcom ones have those, but I've got 4 motm ones now, and I miss that button sometimes. Although all of my EG's are modded anyway, and are about to get remodded, so maybe I'll add one of these buttons to them also - it's a really easy thing to do.

I wish there was a end-of-release-time trigger out jack, or some kind of looping switch - that would turn this into a psycho-giant-killer module!
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

User avatar
emdot_ambient
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3368
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:40 am
Location: Frederick, Maryland USA

Post by emdot_ambient » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:29 pm

sduck wrote:...I wonder about the thinking in putting the sustain level pot at the bottom, underneath the release time pot...
I've wondered about that, too. :despair:

User avatar
SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3387
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:43 am

Post by SynthBaron » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:40 pm

After careful consideration, I went with an Oakley one with a custom panel by Krisp1. I didn't wan't to have to buy an extra inverter module to use the Moon. Plus, the free built in VCA is nice.

User avatar
SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3387
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:43 am

Post by SynthBaron » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:40 pm

emdot_ambient wrote:
sduck wrote:...I wonder about the thinking in putting the sustain level pot at the bottom, underneath the release time pot...
I've wondered about that, too. :despair:
That's how Moog did it.

User avatar
bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret
Posts: 5842
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Post by bwhittington » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:41 pm

emdot_ambient wrote:
sduck wrote:...I wonder about the thinking in putting the sustain level pot at the bottom, underneath the release time pot...
I've wondered about that, too. :despair:
I hadn't even noticed that. I guess it's a ADRS. :party:

Cheers,
Brian

User avatar
SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3387
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:43 am

Post by SynthBaron » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:41 pm

bwhittington wrote: Is it just my imagination, or is the price of the 511c lower at Noisebug now? It says $320 now. I was thinking it used to be $360.
I only remember seeing a price of $320.

User avatar
bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret
Posts: 5842
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Post by bwhittington » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:42 pm

SynthBaron wrote:
bwhittington wrote: Is it just my imagination, or is the price of the 511c lower at Noisebug now? It says $320 now. I was thinking it used to be $360.
I only remember seeing a price of $320.
Maybe I'm remembering what it would have cost with shipping from Berlin.

Cheers,
Brian

User avatar
NV
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:40 pm

Post by NV » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:04 pm

SynthBaron wrote:After careful consideration, I went with an Oakley one with a custom panel by Krisp1. I didn't wan't to have to buy an extra inverter module to use the Moon. Plus, the free built in VCA is nice.
Why would you need an extra inverter module for the Moon? Both the Oakley and Moon have normal and inverted outputs.

User avatar
SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3387
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:43 am

Post by SynthBaron » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:45 pm

NV wrote:
SynthBaron wrote:After careful consideration, I went with an Oakley one with a custom panel by Krisp1. I didn't wan't to have to buy an extra inverter module to use the Moon. Plus, the free built in VCA is nice.
Why would you need an extra inverter module for the Moon? Both the Oakley and Moon have normal and inverted outputs.
I need invertable CV inputs.

User avatar
suitandtieguy
Hammond King
Posts: 3372
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Chillicothe IL USA

Post by suitandtieguy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:47 pm

see, if i make a VCEG, it won't even have attenuators at all on the inputs. you'd be completely fucked.
http://suitandtieguy.com
http://stgsoundlabs.com
http://knobcon.com
suboptimal wrote:... if it's music you want to make with your modular, STG should be in your system.

User avatar
bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret
Posts: 5842
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Post by bwhittington » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:49 pm

suitandtieguy wrote:see, if i make a VCEG, it won't even have attenuators at all on the inputs. you'd be completely fucked.
If that meant it would be 1U and it wouldn't cost $320, I think you would find that to be a reasonably popular module. I'd buy some, whether or not I already had the Moon ones.

Cheers,
Brian

User avatar
suitandtieguy
Hammond King
Posts: 3372
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Chillicothe IL USA

Post by suitandtieguy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:05 pm

cool.

it's in development, but i can't project a release date other than "i hope this year", nor can i tell you anything about it. you'll probably like it though. it's going to be very familiar looking but have some neat tricks up its sleeve.
http://suitandtieguy.com
http://stgsoundlabs.com
http://knobcon.com
suboptimal wrote:... if it's music you want to make with your modular, STG should be in your system.

Post Reply

Return to “5U Format Modules”