MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

UG! second one of these i'm letting slip by...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author UG! second one of these i'm letting slip by...
Chuck E. Jesus
this time i really can't afford it....

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/1279297190.html
dkcg
I used to have a guitar just like that. I bought it at GC on milwaukee in the NW side of chicago. I think the one I had was an ES-125s or something like that. about the size of a 335 w/ no cutouts on the hollow body. single coil pickup. This was in the late 80s, and I paid $125. woah
I sold it a few years later for $500, now I wish I still had it... waah
3vcos
hmmm.... I own a couple 125s. they are great guitars. A lot of fun. Thats not a bad price but I prefer the thick body version over the thin 125.
Chuck E. Jesus
yeah, pretty sure it's a 125...i think the one i was looking at before was the same price or similar....

i remember that GC (still there? no idea)...they have one right near me now, but i don't buy much other than guit strings and such...
3vcos
ha! it looked like a 125. If it was something else than it really may have been a good deeal. I'm a sucker for old gibby archtops. Looks like the ad was pulled.... any old gibson is usually sold on CL in just hours... oh well...
dkcg
That was a long time ago Ross, I think It was about 1986 or so when I bought it at that GC. Back when you could haggle on everything. I try to avoid GC at all costs now... except the occasional emergency cable run.

I wish I still had that thing, it would be a great electric/acoustic slide guitar (I want an electric to keep in open tunings b/c the strat w/ the floating bridge is a pain).
3vcos
dkdg, you avoid the LA GC? Why? I recently bought a linn 9000 for $50 there not to mention quite a few other good deals. Just keep in mind, they're idiots! very frustrating
dkcg
3vcos wrote:
dkdg, you avoid the LA GC? Why? I recently bought a linn 9000 for $50 there not to mention quite a few other good deals. Just keep in mind, they're idiots! very frustrating

Which one? I try to avoid them because the last couple things I bought from them were sold as new, but were open boxes missing manuals, and even a Moogerfooger a while back that came with the wrong power supply (a non-moog one that it was returned with). Just about any time I buy anything other than cables, a rack, or other non-fuckupable thing from them it results in me wasting gas and taking two trips to GC to fix their fuckup.

GC has gone way downhill since my first experiences with them as a teenager in the 80s.
Chuck E. Jesus
dkcg wrote:
That was a long time ago Ross, I think It was about 1986 or so when I bought it at that GC. Back when you could haggle on everything. I try to avoid GC at all costs now... except the occasional emergency cable run.

yeah, i bought my Roland System 100 at the south side store many moons ago...wasn't too good at haggling back then, but i'm glad i got it either way!

dkcg wrote:

I wish I still had that thing, it would be a great electric/acoustic slide guitar (I want an electric to keep in open tunings b/c the strat w/ the floating bridge is a pain).

ah, another slide fan...haven't slid much lately, but we will again soon...yeah, that 125 would be a sweet open G machine indeed...
dkcg
ross g wrote:

ah, another slide fan...haven't slid much lately, but we will again soon...yeah, that 125 would be a sweet open G machine indeed...

Love my slide! I use a craftsman sparkplug socket. Happened to have fit my finger perfectly, even the nut inside keeps the "slide" at the perfect distance. Tubes tend to move around too much for me. I tried the glass medicine bottle, fancy ceramic ones, heavy brass ones, thin light brass ones, even pieces of pipe, etc. I always come back to the sparkplug socket for electric, and switch off b/t that and the medicine bottle for acoustic. Almost always use the socket on my Dobro (one of the only things I will not sell even for a Buchla module).

Man I miss Chicago and all the blues there EVERY NIGHT....the blues in LA (and I suspect the rest of the West coast) is kinda sad, but not in a good blues way. And any acoustic country blues, non-existant, more like unplugged versions of rocker blues. Sad sad day, since my baby the blues went away, and that mean ol Frisco must have taken all the blues back to the mississippi area.
Chuck E. Jesus
HA! the best slide i used was a ceramic covered steel thing i bought on Haight street, but it got ripped off... i have various glass slides now, never got on with the all steel ones....i definitely identify more with the country blues style more than the Chicago urban style, although i like stuff like Elmore James and Hound Dog Taylor...i used to listen to Blues Before Sunrise on the NPR station, they played all those really old tracks, that's the stuff i like the most (perhaps you heard it when you lived here?)
dkcg
ross g wrote:
i definitely identify more with the country blues style more than the Chicago urban style, although i like stuff like Elmore James and Hound Dog Taylor...i used to listen to Blues Before Sunrise on the NPR station, they played all those really old tracks, that's the stuff i like the most (perhaps you heard it when you lived here?)

I remember that show. Man, you're making me miss Chicago. I used to go to Kingston Mines mostly, but there were a few places, most of which I forgot the names. I like some of the big city urban blues, Muddy of course, all the Kings, but mostly I play country blues. Mostly influenced by Bukka White, Elmore James, any good harp player (slide teacher taught me to listen to the harp, since the slide is trying to copy that feeling much of the time), Fred McDowell, Son House, etc. I end up liking just about everything blues I've heard from Texas, I think it's that strut. I haven't seen one really good slide player in LA...millions of guitarists, and so very few slide players and i'm not talking about open tuning bar chords sliding up n down, I mean fingerpicking on the verge of bluegrass influenced bassline, chords and melody out of one guitar slide playing... Maybe I'm asking for too much? Rockin' Banana!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1