MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Jumping right in - VCFs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Jumping right in - VCFs
K9Mike
Hi,

I've been struggling with the "what format" question for quite some time, and have been moving toward the Blacet / Frac Rack approach. After finding this board, and the high praise for the majority of the Blacet & Wiard offerings, the decision became pretty simple. I normally lurk for a bit after joining a new board, but the seemingly friendly atmosphere here and my excitement about 'starting the journey' has motivated me to jump right in.

Just a tiny bit of background to help define "where I'm at" so when I solicit opinions and help, my interests are not such a black hole. smile I've been into analog synths for a while. My first was a new Roland SH-1000 if that gives you an idea of how long. My second was an almost new ARP 2600, which I still own and love. Subsequently, my 'music room' has filled up with mostly analog poly-synths, and the 2600 has been somewhat neglected for a while. However, the modular bug has always been there, and has resurfaced pretty severely recently, prompting me to get some playmates for the 2600. My interests are more on the musical side, rather than the purely experimental (if that means anything) although I do also love to 'play' (in the amusement sense).

Anyway, my dilemma now is, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the number of modules available (especially in the filter department). I know the perception of sound is subjective and asking others for opinions is a bit like asking someone to recommend the 'best' flavor of ice cream, but I was wondering if there were any 'well traveled' members who could offer a few comments and perhaps a personal opinion on the various frac rack VCFs available. Here's a list of the VCFs I could find (I'm sure I've missed some):

Blacet Final Filtre

Blacet Filthy Filtre

MOTM-1485 GX-1 Diode Filter

MOTM-1490 Moog Ladder VCF

Wiard Boogie Filter

Wiard Borg 2 Filter

Paia 9730 VCF

Livewire FrequenSteiner VCF

I'm know most have their own character, and for max flexibility, getting one or more of each would of course, be the ultimate approach. But stated another way, if you were just starting to build your system, knowing what you know now, which filter would you get first with maximum enjoyment & versatility as your criteria (measured by your own standards) ?

If I'm out of line here, please let me know! While I'm no stranger to message boards or synths, I am new here, and obviously don't want to violate any 'house rules' smile

Thanks!

- Mike
tiny333
welcome to the forum mike

err i dont know the answer but the guys will...

just dont mention the war ; )

razz
tiny333
zerosum
Hi grin
Post away.

I haven't gotten into the world of filters like I would like to yet,
My frac rack is very very small lol So I can't comment on any of the filters listed, although plenty of others here can 8)

The first filters I will be getting on that list are the Frequensteiner and filthy filtre.
I also want a BORG!!!

for semimodular filters I abuse a Sherman and a resonator
twisted

welcome to muffland lol
K9Mike
Thanks guys!

HA ! I love Faulty Towers. Ironically, I'm here to hopefully prevent that from becoming the nickname of what I'm trying to build. smile
thermionicjunky
Though my own formats are Modcan, Dotcom and Metasonix, based on your expressed taste I would recommend the MOTM Moog Ladder or one of the Wiard filters.
J.w.M.
My Frac Rack synth so far only contains one filter: the Filthy Filtre. I chose it for a number or reasons. First, it's available as a kit. That was a big factor for me, since I wanted to have the entire first rack assembled from kits. The only other kit was the Paia, and I'm a bit leery of their build quality (I could be completely off-base here).

The Filthy Filtre has certainly treated me well, allowing for a very wide range of sound (ranging from nice and stable to speaker-busting). I've found it to be very versatile.

Still, I think thermionicjunky is probably on the money-- the Moog Ladder by MOTM is probably very well-suited to more traditional sounds.
Muff Wiggler
Hi Mike, and welcome!! Really glad you are here. Please don't worry about saying the wrong thing, breaking the rules etc. There really aren't any. I hope that people here treat each other with respect and kindness, and so far that's been no problem. While I haven't actually stated it somewhere, I don't want to see people abusing the copyrights or intellectual property of others here. I won't allow pirated software or music (or links to this stuff....) here, but really, that's all the rules. Do as you please and have fun!!

Oh so many filters, so little time smile I'll do my best with your list...

Blacet Final Filtre - this one is probably the quietest, most well-behaved of the bunch. Very clean and precise sounding. A very nice bonus that you get the onboard AD/LFO generator, which can be patched out to use with other stuff.

Blacet Filthy Filtre - really fun, awesome overdriven sound, morphable output, I use it a lot

Blacet Dual Manual Filter - you forgot this one! Great sound, in particular when the two filters are working together with the 'phase uncertainty' circuit. I like this filter a great deal and you can get some unique sounds out of it - but there's no CV control at all, which is a huge downside.. Nice and cheap though!

MOTM-1485 GX-1 Diode Filter - This and the PAiA are the only ones I haven't tried in your list. It's on my short list to buy soon. I anticipate a very aggressive, nasty filter. I hope so.

MOTM-1490 Moog Ladder VCF - I LOVE this filter. You may not have tried it, but you know it. It nails THAT sound perfectly, better than any other 'ladder filter' clone (software or hardware) I've heard. Really groovin'

Wiard Boogie Filter - this one is my #1 favorite. Did I mention that it's my #1 favorite? This one, the Wiard Boogie, it's my #1 favorite. And when I say "#1 Favorite", what I mean is that it is my favorite one, out of all of them, it's number one razz Seriously though, what can I say? The FATTEST most GROOVIN' sound I've ever heard from a filter. Smooth and fat and warm and just so so so nice. Deep basses, screaming treble. HUGE flexibility when you factor in the various switchable modes (using jumpers on the back), easily the most flexible filter. Sounds AMAZING when used as a LPG/VCA type of application. This one is worth it's weight in pure gold. If I could only have one, it would be this. I'm totally spoiled with filters, and I've had this one for a year. Still, every time I use it, I literally stop, smile, and think "shit, that is one DAMN awesome sounding filter. listen to that! wow." I don't do that with any of the other ones anymore, really.

Wiard Borg 2 Filter - Slightly more aggressive and dirty than the Boogie - think MS20. This one overdrives GORGEOUSLY. Additionally as LPG/VCA I like the sound/feel of the response even better than the Boogie. Hard to complain about anything here.

Paia 9730 VCF - The only other one I've not tried. Never tried anything PAiA to be honest. I've heard (of course this can be wrong) that they are thin sounding, fragile, don't track well, noisy etc. It's unfair to say so, but I sort of believe it.

Livewire FrequenSteiner VCF - Brilliant sound, this one has a very unique sound for sure, aggressive, the HPF mode is probably my favorite HPF of the whole bunch. Just really lively and interactive, a very fun filter.

Now, there's also a couple you are forgetting - Synthasonic just last month released their LPF. Additionally there's CGS and Elby kits for the Steiner Synthacon Filter, I have one of these and it's a TOTALLY unique sound, really really like it a lot. There's also the Metalbox/CGS Bi-N-Tic Filter, which I have heard RAVE reviews from many people I trust. This one is "Favorite filter" for a lot of people. Haven't tried it yet myself.

Bananalogue has the LPFA, which is an ARP2600 clone filter. You probably would find this somewhat superfluous.

Finally (and I'm sure there are others I'm missing) there's the STG Soundlabs Mankato and Post Lawsuit Filter. The Post Lawsuit is an other ARP clone, but the Mankato is something very very special and unique indeed. I am just finding the time to get into mine now, but I can say it has a lot on offer that is just simply not available in ANY other filter, and it sounds absolutely fantastic. I hope to have a nice review of it for my blog sometime soon when I get some time.

Again, welcome to the forum and please don't hesitate to let us know anything you need, want, would find useful, or would like to see here. There's no stupid questions and it's very hard to find a rule to break, unless you are a real ass. Have fun, that's why we are here. Thanks again for coming 8)

cheers
Muff Wiggler
I would recommend Boogie or Borg, and then MOTM Ladder Filter as probably your best starting points in my opinion ....
K9Mike
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Hi Mike, and welcome!! Really glad you are here. Please don't worry about saying the wrong thing, breaking the rules etc. There really aren't any. I hope that people here treat each other with respect and kindness, and so far that's been no problem. While I haven't actually stated it somewhere, I don't want to see people abusing the copyrights or intellectual property of others here. I won't allow pirated software or music (or links to this stuff....) here, but really, that's all the rules. Do as you please and have fun!!

Oh so many filters, so little time smile I'll do my best with your list...

Wow, thanks! These are exactly the sort of opinions and suggestions I was looking for. Ready to start ordering... I hope the Blacet VCO kits become available again soon.
alex82
In fracRack i had the Bananalogue LPA, Motm Ladder and the FiltyFilter.

I prefered the Motm Ladder than the LPA. more creamy sound... FiltyFilter is very diffrent. not so smoth like a 24db ladder but more edge..

My Cwejman MMF in the 24db low- pass mode sounds very similar than the motm ladder. Ok the motm ladder can be more overdriven but normal the sound of the mmf is even a bit more deeper.. (more bass)

The mmf has realy super quality and is very versitale... but yes i know you are talking about frac.. just wanted to mention
Soy Sos
Did anyone mention the Flight of Harmony Plague Bearer in Frac?
Or barebones kit for that matter. I have a 12U Euro system that joyfully
interfaces with my 2600. Plus the 1/8 jacks makes it extra compatible.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1