MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Lopass gate help
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Lopass gate help
haricots
I have this project 99% done but I'm having trouble with the wiring.

Can someone outline the wiring for the Control pot, Control jack and cv jack? Feel free to dumb it right down because that's all I really understand. very frustrating

edit: this is the Thomas White lopass clone.
Roycie Roller
I think the control pot & control jack replace the cv jack when you want to use a control pot for attenuation (control jack & cv jack are the same thing, just different terminology).

On the schematic, you should see the 100k pot symbol going to a jack- that then is wired to where the cv jack would go (if you weren't going to use a pot).
I hope that helps!
haricots
Thanks for the reply.

So, if I understand correctly, the control jack simply adds an attenuator (control pot). So wiring the cv jack and the control jack to the same point on the board is the answer?

As I understand it the first lug on the control pot goes to the tip of the control socket, the wiper goes to direct cv input and the last lug goes to ground. So this means the cv socket tip goes to the same direct cv input pad and of course is grounded as well. Correct?

I don't quite understand this design as it seems kind of a waste to have two cv inputs going to same place on the board. There are other cv inputs on this board but they seem to be only used on the 'expanded' build (3 cv inputs) which I am not building.
DGTom
So, you'd like to have two CV ins? one attenuated, one not?

The way I would do it & someone kick me in the balls if this is wrong.

I'd use the CV summing stage, ignore the direct CV, jumper the output of summing stage 2 into the CV in.

CV In 1 will be straight from the panel, CV In 2 is from the wiper of the atten pot.

This is what the summing stage is for, to mix / buffer extra CVs.

If you just want one CV in w/ a pot just take the wiper to the Direct CV In.
Roycie Roller
haricots wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

So, if I understand correctly, the control jack simply adds an attenuator (control pot). So wiring the cv jack and the control jack to the same point on the board is the answer?

No, cv jack & control jack are the same thing, just different terminology.

haricots wrote:
As I understand it the first lug on the control pot goes to the tip of the control socket, the wiper goes to direct cv input and the last lug goes to ground. So this means the cv socket tip goes to the same direct cv input pad and of course is grounded as well. Correct?

Not quite, it's the other way 'round..see below

haricots wrote:
I don't quite understand this design as it seems kind of a waste to have two cv inputs going to same place on the board. There are other cv inputs on this board but they seem to be only used on the 'expanded' build (3 cv inputs) which I am not building.

That's right, so if you don't want the extra inputs, you only need to wire your pot & jack to the hole on the pcb marked 'CV' under 'Direct Ins'.

Lug 1 of the pot goes to Ground, the wiper goes to the 'CV' hole, and Lug 3 goes to the jack's tip. I didn't ground my CV input jack...doesn't seem to make any ground hum not being grounded.

This photo shows the standard pot orientation of how to expect lugs to be referred to on schematics, generally.
haricots
Well it almost works! One issue - first the norm/deep switch doesn't seem to work. When in Norm the audio is great, Deep has no sound.

But does it ever sound nice! It makes a very nice organic, rich, bubbly sound. smile

BTW, thanks roycie I did have the pinouts backwards on the pot. hmmm.....
Roycie Roller
haricots wrote:
Well it almost works! One issue - first the norm/deep switch doesn't seem to work. When in Norm the audio is great, Deep has no sound.

But does it ever sound nice! It makes a very nice organic, rich, bubbly sound. smile

BTW, thanks roycie I did have the pinouts backwards on the pot. hmmm.....

Yeah that switch is a pain in the arse for me too razz
I just leave it in the Normal position. Deep will work but only if i clobber it with a really hot pulse or clock...i probably stuffed up a capacitor value somewhere..never bothered going back to look.
Great you got it working! SlayerBadger!
haricots
I'm really digging the Amp mode. I thought I would be much more in to the filter aspect but the Amp is so bouncy! It's peanut butter jelly time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1