MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Epiphone EJ-200 or Hummingbird? Help me choose/talk me out
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Epiphone EJ-200 or Hummingbird? Help me choose/talk me out
Muff Wiggler
so i've wanted a cheap but decent and fun steel string acoustic forever and am about to pull the trigger

I like both of these models, the price at the moment in the local shop is TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE

so, either talk me out of it (are they decent or crap?) or help me pick which one, the 'bird or the jumbo. I'm on the fence between them.

thanks.
Kent
I haven't played an Epi Acoustic in a dog's age.

That said, I'll give you my 2 cents regarding Super-Jumbo vs. Dreadnought as I've got multiples of each. Be wary of a Jumbo's propensity to be quite boomy and bass-heavy. I have a Takamine N-20 which is a gorgeous guitar in every way but it can get overwhelmingly bassy. It took me forever to find just the right strings to balance her out.
Also, Super-Jumbos can get uncomfortable especially if you have shoulder problems. Synth leg might not matter for this one.

Dreadnought acoustics are pretty much a classic in form and frequency response. I've always preferred smaller body guitars for recording yet there is something about the dreadnought.

I guess comes back to the same old thing that everyone says: "Try a bunch of 'em at the store and throw money that the one that steals your heart."

Rockin' Banana!
Muff Wiggler
the final point is the important one and it's making me think the EJ.....really sounded WONDERFUL in the shop

and the size concerns me a bit but not too much, was very cozy in the store, but I would spend more time feeling this out before buying it

this is helpful info & many thanks - only one confusion for me: In my twisted little head, I have this conception of dreadnaughts being bass-heavy and more suited to rhythm section work, and the jumbo being more frequency balanced and more singer/songwriter-ey if that makes any sense hmmm.....

i dunno. need to spend more time with them for sure

many thanks!
sascha.victoria
For the money the best acoustics I've played are Blueridge. In fact they're so cheap that I normally would never pick one up but a friend of mine told me to try one out. They're built suuuuuuper light. Like pre-war Martins. There's not many builders that are making guitars with that light construction these days so its pretty amazing to find them at that price point. So many acoustics now weigh as much as an electric. Screw that!

I have no idea how much the Epi's are but vintage Guild acoustics are great and cheap. Nick Drake says it all.
Chuck E. Jesus
just opinions from someone who spent a lot of time looking for a cheap acoustic:

the Epi acoustics don't sound very good and feel very cheap...may be ok for the money, but i wouldn't want one for my only acoustic, might be ok for a shitkicker to take out of the house etc...

Seagull's are a decent brand for the money, and i believe they are a Canadian company (save $ ?)...they have a variety of models, i'd suggest trying one locally...

i ended up with a used Washburn for about 200 bucks US (not sure the model # but it's a dreadnought style)...a friend has a larger electric acoustic single cutaway, and it plays and sounds good, i think he payed around five bills...

as far as bass/boomiiness: if you are recording, it really depends on mic and mic placement...as Kent pointed out, strings play an important part as well...my Washburn as fairly bright, so i go with a less bright string at a :12 gauge,...after they are broken in, just like an old pair of slippers...
Kent
Come to think of it, I wish that you were nearby. I could let you play one of the several demo models that I have to hand and you could choose from the lot. Swinging by Paris soon?
Kent
Muff Wiggler wrote:
only one confusion for me: In my twisted little head, I have this conception of dreadnaughts being bass-heavy and more suited to rhythm section work, and the jumbo being more frequency balanced and more singer/songwriter-ey if that makes any sense hmmm.....

Yes, dreadnoughts were specifically designed to have a good fat bass response. I think that this was done at the request of Hank Williams Sr., but that might be the liquor talkin'. He wanted to have the bass notes poppin' out there.

I'm a bit confused. Are you possibly confounding the 'folk-bodied' geetar with the Jumbo? Jumbos are 17+ inches at the lower bout. The EJ-200 is the Epi version of the Gibson SJ-200, right? "SJ" = Super Jumbo a.k.a. 'Fuckin' Fat Ass'. Should be plenty o' bass.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1