MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CHanging LEDs?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author CHanging LEDs?
tragedybysyntax
So.... I've decided now that I'm using my metalbox sequencer, vc divider, pulse divider logic and gated comparator all the time.... those blue led's gotta fucking go. WAY TO BRIGHT. Gave me a headache last night with this wicked rhythmatic patch. SO... any idea of a catalogue number or a spec that is used on the metalbox modules? I'd like to change these to orange and red I do believe. smile
panda30y
Trying emailing michael @ metalbox. I'm sure he would point you in the right direction.
Kent
Hit the surfaces with some clear matte nail polish.
Liquidcolor
Hi Luigi,

I am unable to send email at the moment as I'm away from home. So I'm answering you here.

As you mentioned in your email, yes I did ask "are you sure, they are BRIGHT"

You might be able to up the current limiting resistor on some of the modules to lower intensity. This won't work on all of them though.

I can't really recommend swapping out all LED's and you void your warranty. But if you are feeling brave, they are simply standard 3mm T-1 LED's

One example at mouser: 638-204HD
Babaluma
solder a resistor into one of the legs of each led. did this with blue led's that were too bright on a modded 606, worked well.
tragedybysyntax
but he was saying it wouldnt work with all the modules.... lol. Michael, which ones would adding a resistor on each leg work for? at first having the Sequential Switch wasnt too bad but... now that I have that and the GC and pulse divider.... I dream blue led's after a long session. THanks so much guys!
haricots
I quite like super bright LED's. But yeah, use resistors to calm them down.
parasitk
Kent wrote:
Hit the surfaces with some clear matte nail polish.

thumbs up
DGTom
I got a feeling that there might be a relationship inside the output buffer of some of those LEDs, where if you change the resistor you might get a drop in level at the output as well. Not 100% sure.

How about wiring another LED inline? Or trying a differant kind of nail polish that isn't 100% clear?

I'm not a fan of blue, got some nang fluro green & pink ones tho screaming goo yo SlayerBadger!
Babaluma
the blue leds on my 606 were so large and bright that they gave me snow blindness and migraines, and i wish i were joking...

things were much better after the resistor legs!
Liquidcolor
DGTom is correct. The outputs and LED's are driven from the same transistor buffer. If you parallel another resistor you will brighten the LED. What needs to be done is UP the value of the resistor. They're generally between 1k and 4.7k. You can up them to 10k or even higher in some cases. But blue LED's are bright with even miniscule current, so you may not like the end results.

You could also try fine steel wool to dull them a little.
DGTom
Babaluma wrote:
they gave me snow blindness and migraines, and i wish i were joking...

I hear this! same thing happened when I got my first batch of super brights to test!! I think I ended up with 100K to get them down to earth & stop my eyes from bleeding.

I'm amazed tragedy has been able to use the Seq. Switch, GC & VC Divider together without being sliced in two... or at least getting a spotty tan!
Randaleem
Hi all,

LOL. This thread reminds me of a class in High school more than 30 years ago! We were talking about why cars have red tailights and why the police and private investigators use a dot of blue on them to help track a suspect. Three words were etched into my mind that day: "Blue Bleaches Rhodopsin". I just googled it to make sure I wasn't *remembering* wrong. Nope. Cuz Everytime I see a blue light I remember that phrase. Now you will too! twisted

Anyways, what you're all describing is why I didn't go with the big rush to Blue LED's a few years ago. Sure, they're great for seeing in the dark. For awhile. If not overdone! hihi But the reason we have RED taillights instead of blue is... Blue Bleaches Rhodopsin! Mr. Green

Seriously, the great thing about superbright LED's electrically is that they let you (require you? eek! ) use really high limit resistors because they can use really low currents. This not only saves your power for other more important things like, ummm, sound? razz , but also messes with the power supply MUCH less!

This last reason should always be in the back of your mind if you hear some kind of *extra* in your sound that you didn't plan or want... See if it corresponds to an LED. And then consider that if it does, it could mean the LED is messing with the power supply. There's a reason many of the vintage synths have separate Power for blinky lights!

Oh, and this can also be the first indication you are approaching or exceeding the true capacity of your PSU.

So I wonder who will first say, Randal, There's this LED on my LFO and its affecting the sound! help hihi

Kind regards, Randal

DGTom wrote:
Babaluma wrote:
they gave me snow blindness and migraines, and i wish i were joking...

I hear this! same thing happened when I got my first batch of super brights to test!! I think I ended up with 100K to get them down to earth & stop my eyes from bleeding.

I'm amazed tragedy has been able to use the Seq. Switch, GC & VC Divider together without being sliced in two... or at least getting a spotty tan!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1