MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-3 + ES-5 Silent Way Troubleshooting
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES-3 + ES-5 Silent Way Troubleshooting
dowhilex
Im using a MOTU Traveler MK3 with a toslink cable. I set my motu preferences to toslink. Im using the ES-3 MK2.

1) I am unable to calibrate my TTA z3000. When i chick v/oct calibrate in the voice controller, it looks like it is doing something (i see movement in the meter on ableton) but there the calibration line does not move/change and i dont hear any change in the pitch of the z3000. I've searched and read other similar issues, but nothing resolved this.

2) Should my es-5 be lit up? I have it connected like the the site recommends, but i have no idea if its working since i cant get the ES-3 figured out.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!


os
Quote:
I set my motu preferences to toslink.

That probably means TOSlink S/PDIF. You need to set it to output ADAT.
os
In support of that theory - the ES-3's sync LED cluster (below the cable) is not lit up. It lights when it's receiving a valid ADAT signal.
dowhilex
Thanks for the quick reply. I actually tried it set to ADAT as well.

Is there something that i need to set on the Voice Controller to allow it to receive incoming audio or is how i have it set up all that is necessary?
os
Looks OK. Even if that was setup incorrectly, you should still hear the pitch of the oscillator change during calibration.

As I say, first step is to get the ES-3's sync LED to light.
dowhilex
i switched to ADAT, and its still not calibrating.

When input volume is low, i see some movement in the calibration line, but if i increase volume, the line is flat.
os
What do you hear the VCO doing?
juanchi999
Hello Os. I am having the same issue. I can see the sync led light, but when i try to calibrate i just see the calibration line just moving the dot (recognizing pitch), but the it doesnt change the slope of the line. I am using a moog midi keyboard for calibration. is that the problem? Do i need to register the silent way before calibration? (im on the trial version). thank you
os
The demo version is fully functional.

Do you hear the synth pitch change during calibration?
juanchi999
os wrote:
The demo version is fully functional.

Do you hear the synth pitch change during calibration?


i bet i didnt understand the calibration process correctly. i thougt i had to play different notes. do i have to play just one note and push the calibration button? can i use a moog subphatty for that? thank you
os
You shouldn't even have to play one note, if you have the gate connected as well as the pitch CV.
juanchi999
os wrote:
You shouldn't even have to play one note, if you have the gate connected as well as the pitch CV.


thank you Os.

This is the calibration screen, with the result of the calibration


this is how i setup ableton live



can you help me to confifure correctly?
thanks again[/img]
juanchi999
btw, i cannot hear anything during the calibration
juanchi999
os wrote:
You shouldn't even have to play one note, if you have the gate connected as well as the pitch CV.


thank you Os.
can you please tell me which is the VC output matrix? where can i change the pitch scale to 0.5 and the offset to 0.5 ?

os
Refer to the user manual. It's the button labelled "Outputs".

Quote:
btw, i cannot hear anything during the calibration

You have no track in Live set up to route the synth audio to your speakers.

Also, do you mean to use Ext Out 1/2 for the Voice Controller's outputs? Usually outputs 1/2 are your monitor speakers. What's the audio interface you're using? Which outputs have you connected to your speakers, and to the synth?
juanchi999
os wrote:
Refer to the user manual. It's the button labelled "Outputs".

Quote:
btw, i cannot hear anything during the calibration

You have no track in Live set up to route the synth audio to your speakers.

Also, do you mean to use Ext Out 1/2 for the Voice Controller's outputs? Usually outputs 1/2 are your monitor speakers. What's the audio interface you're using? Which outputs have you connected to your speakers, and to the synth?

thank you Os. Appreciate your help.
This is how i setup the voice controller outputs


and this is how i set up ableton live.

again

the voice controller output goes to ext channel 3 (which is routed to the synth pitch cv in).
External in 4 is the output of the synth.
btw, the audio interface is a m-audio projectmix.
any help is appreciated. Thanks
os
The user manual for the Projectmix says

Quote:
When adat output is selected on the hardware page, ADAT channels 1 – 8 will appear as audio streams 5 – 12.

So you need to use channels 5-12 in Live for the ES-3 outputs.

Choose a pair (e.g. 5/6) for the Voice Controller output, not a single mono output.

I suggest you don't fiddle with the output matrix until you have the basic connections working.
juanchi999
os wrote:
The user manual for the Projectmix says

Quote:
When adat output is selected on the hardware page, ADAT channels 1 – 8 will appear as audio streams 5 – 12.

So you need to use channels 5-12 in Live for the ES-3 outputs.

Choose a pair (e.g. 5/6) for the Voice Controller output, not a single mono output.

I suggest you don't fiddle with the output matrix until you have the basic connections working.


Thank you Os. Now i have the connections working. The ES-3 is receiveing signal. lights are on. i could trigger a midi sequence from ableton live.
The problem is that no pitch is recognized, as the silent way is not calibrated.
This is how i set up ableton live for the calibration:



1)which should be the output for the SW channel? ext outs 5 and 5 (adat)?
2) how can i connect this adat outputs to the cv pitch in and gate in, in the moog subphatty? as the adat output goes to the es-3...

the problem here is that the moog is not receveing the pitch/gate from silent way. In some videos, i saw a guy connectong the pitch in of an oscilator directly form the audio output of the motu ultralite. this is the part that confuses me...

we are closer now.. Thanks for your big help!!!
os
1) 5/6 would be ES-3 outputs 1/2, so those would be fine.
2) You connect the ES-3 to the Moog. That is where the Moog will get its CV & gate from.
juanchi999
os wrote:
1) 5/6 would be ES-3 outputs 1/2, so those would be fine.
2) You connect the ES-3 to the Moog. That is where the Moog will get its CV & gate from.
.
Thank you Os.
Now i got pitch and cv in the moog. i could transmit through ES-3 as you told me





and this is the calibration result.



please tell me what should be the setup in the silent way to get a good calibration. thank you
os
The sub phatty manual says the pitch CV input takes 0-5V, so you want to limit the ES-3 to that range.

In the Output Matrix, set the offset and pitch scale to 0.25 (on the first row of the matrix). During calibration you're expecting to hear steps over a 5 octave range.
juanchi999
os wrote:
The sub phatty manual says the pitch CV input takes 0-5V, so you want to limit the ES-3 to that range.

In the Output Matrix, set the offset and pitch scale to 0.25 (on the first row of the matrix). During calibration you're expecting to hear steps over a 5 octave range.


thank you Os.
This is what i got now



could be due to that the subphatty have 2 octaves extension?
thanks
os
What sound are you using on the synth? Ideally you want a pure sine or triangle wave, no filter at all, no mix of oscillators.
juanchi999
Hi Os. trying to buy the silent way license. Ive downloaded the license manager for mac osx. I see a blank screen when i click the purchase button. Is it working the license manager of the website? thanks
os
You can buy in a web browser here: http://store.esellerate.net/s.aspx?s=STR4273410646
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group