MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oberheim SEM as a module?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Oberheim SEM as a module?
emergencyofstate
I'm not sure of the dimensions of this but do any of you guys have opinions on whether the new Oberheim SEM could be made into a frac or euro module?? There's going to be one available with a patch bay..so hot damn. 2 Oberheim oscillators, a filter and 2 Egs for $749 to $899..that in a module would be SlayerBadger!

http://tomoberheim.com/sem_pic_highres.jpg
wetterberg
It's enormous... I think it would be at least 4U... and besides, once you've brought everything to the front it's close to or at a full rack width, so might as well just rack-mount it to begin with, imo. hmmm.....
Peake
JOY!

we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
Peake
wetterberg wrote:
It's enormous... I think it would be at least 4U... and besides, once you've brought everything to the front it's close to or at a full rack width, so might as well just rack-mount it to begin with, imo. hmmm.....

His site says that it's a drop-in for the original cases, meaning that it's not directly rack-mountable. Good news for Studio Electronics, if they still make that racking system for a pair...
bubblesound
he's selling a caseless version for $599 that would be perfect to make a module out of. and it would probably fit behind a 5U panel...
suitandtieguy
i'm going to be getting one of these things, i'm fairly certain. i'd like to see one behind a Moog panel ... that would be kind of perverse.
ndkent
TONTO has a number of SEMs as "modules" (well a pair of 2600s too as really really big modules) once SEMs were available. I'd agree that there is no way you will fit one in Euro without a whole new probably compromised rebuild. Also the original has odd power, so it would seem easier to simply power it rather than redesign it extensively to use some other power.

I'd quite like one or a couple patched out. I hope Tom or a decent third party sells them or makes a kit so everything can be patched out. I'm more interested in the i/o rather than be caught up in figuring out how to stuff one into one modular format or another.
Peake
Tom himself replied to an email and stated that the new item does not use the original PCB artwork as it is surface-mount, and substitutes a couple of items that are hard-to-get with same-sounding components.

If the pots and switches are not directly mounted to a separate PCB as with the original SEM, that it =might=, to be confirmed if the surface-mount PCB is small enough, fit behind a Moog or smaller panel!

My best to Tom! Here's hoping that the subtle grit in the oscillators has not been lost!
mono-poly
Even the origional can be mounted into a 5U blankpanel.
bubblesound
Peake wrote:

My best to Tom! Here's hoping that the subtle grit in the oscillators has not been lost!

i hope that, too. but the first part about surface mount components and subbing new part for old does not bode well for the grit and noise. as you've pointed out before a bit part of the SEM sound comes from crappy grounding and noise plus the slightly darker output of the 741 vs something like a tl071.
we'll see. i am kind of excited about the sequencer that Tom announced yesterday... regardless, it's great to see him back in business. and at $599 for a caseless version ready to be panelized and patched out sounds like a great deal to me even if it doesn't sound EXACTLY like the original. now we just need bridechamber to knock out faceplates for this and we're set.
mono-poly
Bridechamber really seems to be the right choice for doing MOTM style panels for the new SEM.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1