MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rebel Stoichea Anyone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Rebel Stoichea Anyone
complexmodulations
I couldnt find a post on it, has anyone tried it? I could be mistaken on the post, STILL looks awesome. Thnking about getting one, suggestions?
headband
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61987&highlight=rebe l

I myself really want one but am definitely going to wait it out to see what comes of there other modules + expander for the Stoichea
noisetheorem
I am trying to fully understand it what it does. The audio demos are interesting...but the front planel and descriptions are kinda....confusing.
metaBit
I just got mine yesterday. A quick read of the info on the Rebel Technology had me up and running in no time. You just have to feed it a clock and then you can adjust the starting position of the pattern, the length of the pattern and how many of the steps will output a trigger. When you play with it you get the hang of it pretty quick and can get all kinds of killer rhythms out of it.
Mans
It's great and the website describes what is does very well. Feed it a clock, set a pattern lenght (corresponds to the number of triggers it receives), set how many steps in the pattern are on, and set the first step. So a 4 step pattern with three steps on can be

xxx.
.xxx
x.xx
xx.x

You see how this can get very interesting if you set a 7 step pattern with 3 or 4 on.

Currently using it as a trigger source for the ldb1 to get a feel for it and it's a very intuitive way to generate interesting patterns!

Only thing is they should've put the bottom switches a bit higher because with plugs inserted they are hard to get to.
pipwilliams
The greek symbols in the module name freaked out the post title of the link below. May be why your search didn't throw up many results. This was from a few weeks back...

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64181&highlight=
radiodread87
I love that module, in fact one thing that a friend of mine was doing was clocking it well up into the audio spectrum and seeing just how high it can go, which suprisingly enough was VERY high indeed! so the code is running quite efficiently it seems.

The module is just plain fun, tiptop drum modules, stoicheia, couple of clock dividers and its a party in the modular w00t
cycles
I have on and love it, usually makes every patch I make these days. Can be fun to use the A+B mode to get an interesting gate pattern to step a sequencer too.
noisetheorem
hmm...this seems like a good partner to my NoiseRing...

crap. Time to see what little I can get for my soul.
Audio Dependent
Essential tool for anyone into complex poly rhythms. Small, simple, fun and very playable.

here are a couple of recordings I did using it:

Rough patch notes:

Unfortunately I have lost my patch notes and only had a small stills camera to film but here is a rough over view. I also have a skiff in front of the 6u with a few modules involved in the patch.

Rebel technologies Stoicheia is receiving a clock from the through of 4ms RCD and is being multiplied off to trigger input on both channels of A156 quantiser and both strike inputs on the optomix. The clock is then fed the SQ8 with the CV out going to the quantiser. One half of the optomix is being fed an input from the uFOLD which has both Dixies going into it and the E350 is going into the other. A simple 4/4 kick from the maths and one half of the Korgo is being clocked from the divide by 4 of the RCD.
SunSpots
Those demos are great examples of what this module can do.
I'd buy the expander or the cv controlled single unit, whatever they want to make. It's hot.

I found that the topmost jack is like a "reset or pause" jack. So, I send the gate out from pressure points into that jack. As long as I hold my finger on the PP, the two out gates on the stoicheia "pause" or go silent, then I release my figer and BAM the beat kicks back down. Should should you what fun times can be had but I don't have any good sound hooked up. Would have to be crapy video sound... if you want I'll post it up

Spots
meatbeatz
I just bought my second! With or without CV this thing is dope. Would be handy though. I heard that it's easy to make a CV input expander for it. Anyone got any info on this?
madcap
Audio Dependent

That first 1 is awesome. nanners Very ool!
artisokka
Thank for excellent demos Audio dependent!

Now i think i need one!
synthomaniac
I think all three demos are great but the third uptempo demo was awesome - I'm glad I have one smile
J
am really digging the third demo too, thanks Audio Dependent .
might have to grab one of these when i have some more space.
Paranormal Patroler
I hate this module. I'm just buying that, Logoi and Klasmata because they got Greek titles and it freaks out people.
Audio Dependent
Thanks for the nice comments everyone - glad the videos are of some help!
Junk Rhythm
Audio Dependent, your Stoicheia Demo 03 really shows how this module can shine.
Vcoadsr
Managed to get myself one yesterday at the Brighton Mini maker fair.
First patch I used it to trigger tiptop kick and snare. Got some interesting patterns going quickly. I would say reading the online help is essential for getting the most out of it.
Steffe
I've ordered a Stoicheia as well. In part after hearing the demos in this thread. The dual channel rhytmic sequencer I've been looking for. I wanted to get the Z8k but this one I think will serve my needs better.
Mans
Steffe wrote:
I've ordered a Stoicheia as well. In part after hearing the demos in this thread. The dual channel rhytmic sequencer I've been looking for. I wanted to get the Z8k but this one I think will serve my needs better.

The Z8000 is all about modulation, it can be used to output gates but it is certainly not its primary purpose and there are way better solutions available for that (like the stoicheia).

So if you want a gate/trigger sequencer than you've made the right choice thumbs up
Steffe
Mans wrote:
Steffe wrote:

The Z8000 is all about modulation, it can be used to output gates but it is certainly not its primary purpose and there are way better solutions available for that (like the stoicheia).

So if you want a gate/trigger sequencer than you've made the right choice thumbs up

Thanks! Yeah, I figured there was something about the Z8k that didn't really fit me, though it does seem to be a very nice module for what it does.

Rebel Technologys Logoi is out now as well. Seems like a perfect patner for the Stoi.
Paranormal Patroler
d'oh! I ordered a Stoicheia last week. Why didn't I wait for the Logoi as well ...
Steffe
I'm planning to get the Logoi too but I need to wait at least until next paycheck. I've already spent way too much cash this month on Euro.

The Stoicheia is opensource apparently - can anyone tell me more about that? I understand it's possible to re-program it into something completely different, but how? (And...why?)
lloydcole
Thanks for this and - Sold! Ordered mine today along with Logoi.
Paranormal Patroler
I'm not quite certain on how Logoi overlaps with an RCD. Anyone?
Steffe
I don' think Logoi is random.
Paranormal Patroler
The R in RCD is for Rotating, not random.
djthopa
great for gating chords
Audio Dependent
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

I've not had a go with one yet, but from what I understand the left side is kind of like an RCD but with only one output and the right side is similar to a SCM but again with only one out.
lloydcole

Me neither but it looks fun. I will report ASAP. I needed another RCD or something similar anyhow so I figured I might as well give it a try.
Paranormal Patroler
Well it surely looks great next to a Stoicheia (that is actually read stehea with both e's like in Steve in case you've been wondering) , it's got that Circle on the panel that will complete along with the last module.

I just wanted to know about the correlation/overlapping with an RCD 'cause I have both on my to-buy-list and it's not always much of a use having the same functions. Especially when it's 270euro. Please let us know lloydcole thumbs up
visible cow
I'm thinking of getting one for my 9u. So, are there any modules that you would consider essential with this thing? I'm thinking my PEG would be great with it, as well as my uscale/a118/sport modulator combo.
Steffe
Well it surely looks great next to a Stoicheia (that is actually read stehea with both e's like in Steve in case you've been wondering)

Yes, I have. Thanks for clearing this up!

It seems I'm getting my Stoicheia on Friday. Really looking forward to it.
Paranormal Patroler
Steffe wrote:
Well it surely looks great next to a Stoicheia (that is actually read stehea with both e's like in Steve in case you've been wondering)

Yes, I have. Thanks for clearing this up!

It seems I'm getting my Stoicheia on Friday. Really looking forward to it.

Greek and Swedish, two musical languages! lol
Steffe
Got it today and it produces some really cool rhythms. Being a beginner at modular synths I can say I'm very far from understanding the span of Stoicheia but I'm having a nice time learning it.

Right now it's cutting up an arpeggio from the MPK49 going through the Malekko Osc and I love it.

And it seems perfect for creating staccato-like bass rhythms.
metaBit
Steffe wrote:

Mos def. I've been doing that a lot with mine. :-)
Steffe
metaBit wrote:
Steffe wrote:

Nice! Do you have any other good tips and tricks?
I really like the way you can let the channels run at different speeds.
earlykooka
Steffe wrote:
metaBit wrote:
Steffe wrote:

Nice! Do you have any other good tips and tricks?
I really like the way you can let the channels run at different speeds.

2 ch of Stoi -> 2 ch of PEG is big fun
2 ch of Stoi -> 2 ch of PEG with PEG beat division being CV'd is bigger fun
2 ch of Stoi with as-yet-unborn Stoi expander being CV'd -> 2 ch of PEG being CV'd would probably be godhead
Paranormal Patroler
I figured that expander thing on the back was for a CV capabilities. That'd be cool.
Warpus
Just got hold of a Stoicheia today and loving it so far. Busted out this little demo of it patched to a DPO, Maths, QMMG, PP+Brains, and Quantimator. Crazy fun rhythms.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/warpus-1/stoicheia-demo[/s]
Paranormal Patroler
I got mine today as well. I can't figure it out, although I read the manual. Way too tired.
Steffe
Warpus wrote:
Just got hold of a Stoicheia today and loving it so far. Busted out this little demo of it patched to a DPO, Maths, QMMG, PP+Brains, and Quantimator. Crazy fun rhythms.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/warpus-1/stoicheia-demo[/s]

That sounds really good!
Steffe
I start an arpeggio on the MPK49 and the gate sets the tempo for the Stoi. I set one of the channels on the Stoi open the ADSRjr and depending on setting it will emphasize different notes in the arpeggio.
Paranormal Patroler
Steffe wrote:
I start an arpeggio on the MPK49 and the gate sets the tempo for the Stoi. I set one of the channels on the Stoi open the ADSRjr and depending on setting it will emphasize different notes in the arpeggio.

Clever.
Steffe
Steffe wrote:

Clever.

Hope you're not being sarcastic :-)
But yeah, I liked the sound of that.
Drumdrumdrumdrum
Thats a terrific moustache! razz
Paranormal Patroler
Nope, not one bit sarcastic. I can't vouch for Drumdrumdrumdrum though lol
Barnes
Wow! I never knew that thing was so cool... WANT! love
Warpus
Steffe wrote:

That sounds really good!

Thanks!

This module is seriously fun. I might have to get two.
Steffe
Nope, not one bit sarcastic. I can't vouch for Drumdrumdrumdrum though lol

OK, I hope it wasn't uncouth of me to ask. Sometimes irony and sarcasm and straightforward comments are difficult to tell apart in a forum like this :-)

Yeah, Drumdrumdrumdrum's comment is maybe more dubious, haha
Drumdrumdrumdrum
Paranormal Patroler
Question for you in the know:

When you plug something on one of the inputs (for example the lower left socket) does the other input (in this example the lower right socket) function as an input or an output of the original signal?

I plugged a trigger in and I get it from the second input as well. It messes stuff up. d'oh! help
Audio Dependent
Question for you in the know:

When you plug something on one of the inputs (for example the lower left socket) does the other input (in this example the lower right socket) function as an input or an output of the original signal?

I plugged a trigger in and I get it from the second input as well. It messes stuff up. d'oh! help

they are a multi of each other, not 2 independent ins. So don't plug 2 different ins into it or you might mess up your modules!!!
Steffe
I thought both far left and far right inputs are clock in.
Paranormal Patroler
Steffe wrote:

I reckon they're not as you can get the original trigger on both. But then I read your previous post where you say you like it that you can trigger then independently and got confused.

So here's an idea: mult the original trigger, pass it through a switch and use one clone to trigger the switch. One output of the switch goes to one input of Stoicheia, the other gets messed up whichever way you like and gets in the other input of Stoicheia.

That way you get two different versions of the same input, without them coinciding. SlayerBadger!
clack
Steffe wrote:

sorry thats a problem with the textless design but its actually a clock through

see the schematic bottom left they are actually connected, it makes it possible to chain multiple ones up. I didn't program it but I assume it was too difficult to make it work with 2 clocks because of the speed of the micro controller.

A cool trick to do with it I found was that it you drive it with a VCO you get some pretty amazing controllable (with the length and fills controls ) timbres out of it.
Paranormal Patroler
angry Well thankfully nothing got fried. But I have to say that it did work with different clocks and it was great!
Rozzer
I'm quite excited by this module, but I must say the decision to use symbols instead of proper labelling is questionable. Panel design should never impede clarity and ergonomics imo. It's making it very difficult to fathom the functions (which seems to be a problem even for owners).

I'm probably going to pick one up regardless. It looks too damn useful hihi
Rozzer
Actually, upon reading the online manual, it's not that hard, but could probably have figured it out without a manual at all if there were proper labelling on the panel.

Seems like a great module. Euclidean sequencing = love
Paranormal Patroler
Although I belong to those that erred due to labeling I have to say that the Stoicheia is quite easy to grasp after you go through the directions just once. It's a mirrored module after all, so we're basically talking: two inputs, one output, two switches and three knobs. On the other hand that exact thinking is what made me assume that the other socket was an input as well ... (apart from that previous post here).

I can see how it would be useful to patch two of these, but I prefer getting a Logoi instead. I'm also curious to see what the expansion is for.
TestSetRadio
if/when I pick up one of these, I'll definitely be getting out the dymo labeler and taking care of this panel symbol nonsense. I respect their right to design as they please, but yeah, I need to be able to see what I'm doing.
meatbeatz
I don't find the labeling to be a problem. The symbols that are between the knobs are self explanatory. I have a bad case of labeling OCD but once I'd played with the module I quickly got over it. I think it's case of getting your hands on one.. or two.
Paranormal Patroler
meatbeatz wrote:
I don't find the labeling to be a problem. The symbols that are between the knobs are self explanatory. I have a bad case of labeling OCD but once I'd played with the module I quickly got over it. I think it's case of getting your hands on one.. or two.

+1 thumbs up
headband
I'm also very excited to see how this module pairs with a Logoi, are there any videos of that one around yet??
johnnymayer
i just ordered one from shawn @analogue haven the other day.

i think it'll be here in a day or two.
i cannot wait.

i'm thinking it'll play well with a maths if i can ever actually get my hands on one.
Paranormal Patroler
Pff, Maths, pff ... 8_)
Warpus
johnnymayer wrote:

i'm thinking it'll play well with a maths if i can ever actually get my hands on one.

It does play well with Maths indeed. In fact it's playing with it in the little demo I posted earlier in this thread.
felixer
what about that 'expander connector'? does that give easy/safe control over the knobs? looking at the schematic it seems simple to do hmmm.....
having cv inputs would be essential to me ....
miraclehex
I've already written about this in the other thread, so I won't go on too much ... but while I have no problem with the lack of textual labelling (the module really is easy to grasp after a few minutes), I don't like the way the increments on the pots are in "10s" when rhythmically it's working with "8s". I wish it was marked in the PEG's "div/mult" style, so you could accurately count stuff off (I realise this doesn't quite work for Fills, which is a % chance - I guess?).

Also, I really wish that instead of a "clock thru", it had an "end of sequence" clock out, so it could synch all those funky time-signatures with a sequencer etc ... I suppose you'd need one for both A & B though.

The module does also suffer from the "Diagrammatical" panel layout for being text-free (like Maths does) - It'd be great if all the jacks could be at the bottom, then all the knobs in the middle, and then the switches at the top - so that everything can be easily tweaked. And the LEDs can go wherever they'd fit.

It sounds like I'm complaining, but I'd definitely get another one of these once I get nearer to 12U (from my current 6), even without CV. It's a great "density controller" :-)
Steffe
Steffe wrote:
Steffe wrote:

Clever.

Hope you're not being sarcastic :-)
But yeah, I liked the sound of that.

And now I've recorded that particular trick. This is just a jam - but I plan to put some vocals on it tomorrow-

[s]http://soundcloud.com/steffee-3/carrion-ii[/s]
Paranormal Patroler
Oh shit eek! , this needs some black metal squelching vocals on top. x
Steffe
Oh shit eek! , this needs some black metal squelching vocals on top. x

Actually...if you check out my Soundcloud there's the first version of this song and it has vocals. The synth used then was just the Dark Energy, so this new one sounds a little better (I'm not slagging the DE, it's just that this modular has a little more possibilities and variety).
Rozzer
Received mine today. This thing is chock full of techno! Great module, but once again the panel design is terrible, especially the totally irrelevant unit markings around each nob. Very unhelpful.

That said, it's definitely a keeper. Anyone sequencing in Euroland should definitely check it out.
Paranormal Patroler
Rozzer wrote:
but once again the panel design is terrible, especially the totally irrelevant unit markings around each nob.

lol I love how our aesthetics are so varied. I think it's the most beautiful module on my case and I can't wait to get the Logoi to complete (part of) the pattern!
lloydcole
Stoichea and Logoi experiment.

Stoichea played by hand. Snare and HiHat. From same clock Logoi has LFO varying the division for the shuffle (which then clocks the Tom Tom club synth).
Octatrack plays kick drum with manual variation of sequence length (5 to 12 steps). Drums are Machinedrum.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/lloydcole/rebeltech-1[/s]
Paranormal Patroler
The track is nice, but I can't hear any hihats, or snares for that matter. seriously, i just don't get it
Rozzer
Rozzer wrote:
but once again the panel design is terrible, especially the totally irrelevant unit markings around each nob.

lol I love how our aesthetics are so varied. I think it's the most beautiful module on my case and I can't wait to get the Logoi to complete (part of) the pattern!

Sorry to sound harsh. I do think miraclehex has a point above. The markings around each knob are notched from 0-10 so they're misleading for measuring anything.

I do love the module though. I use my modular mainly for sequencing and I can see it getting used in every patch SlayerBadger!
Paranormal Patroler
Rozzer wrote:
Sorry to sound harsh. I do think miraclehex has a point above. The markings around each knob are notched from 0-10 so they're misleading for measuring anything.

I see your point and I consider it totally valid. But I have to ask, when were the 1-10 markings on any module a sign of precision?
miraclehex

I see your point and I consider it totally valid. But I have to ask, when were the 1-10 markings on any module a sign of precision?

When it's a digital module that's actually counting stuff:

morph x/y on the E350, & also the div/mult on the PEG - are the two that immediately spring to mind from my own system...
Steffe
The Stoicheia is fucking excellent for putting a pulse in a drone patch. The seemingly random emphases really puts life into noise!
poppinger
noisetheorem wrote:
I am trying to fully understand it what it does. The audio demos are interesting...but the front planel and descriptions are kinda....confusing.

For anyone else grappling with euclidean rhythms, this article has a Flash app that you can play around with so you can visually see what's going on.

He has a standalone version too that works with OSC and midi.
radiodread87
I think the manual for the Stoicheia should read as follows

*jack clock into clock input(s)
*jack clock outs to sequencers/Drum modules
*turn knobs till it sounds good
*grin
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 4