MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Wiard has BANTAM JACKS!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author Wiard has BANTAM JACKS!!!

carygrace

Woggle Bug! Wiard 300 modules are now available with Bantam (TT) jacks! Woggle Bug

Why Bantam?

In brief, you get the reliability and solid feel of a professional audio connector in a compact footprint (only slightly larger than a 3.5mm jack).

- The feel is similar to a very smooth, good quality, 1/4" jack, but requires slightly less insertion force due to smaller size (similar socket size to a banana), and unlike a 1/4" jack (too large), Bantams will fit on the 300 Series modules with a little modification.

- Bantam jacks are 3-conductor balanced compatible professional audio connectors with break contacts (useful for pre-patches).

- Bantam jacks can be cleaned easily when they get dirty or oxidised.

- Unlike 3.5mm jacks, for which there is no standard and many variations exist, the shape and dimensions of Bantam jacks remain standard across the industry. This means no surprises due to tip shape variations (common amongst consumer audio 3.5mm plugs). Any Bantam plug will work in a Bantam jack. I have yet to see an exception.

- Upgrading to Bantams not only means a more solid-feeling, robust, and longer-lasting connector that interfaces easily with studio patchbays, but as a bonus it also makes your 300 modules balanced-compatible.

The signal outputs on the new boards are balanced impedance outputs, for best noise cancellation results when connected to a balanced input (though these can't be expected to drive exceedingly long cable lengths as the modules were not originally designed to do that). Inputs remain unbalanced, but in most cases you will have no problems connecting your balanced equipment directly to the module inputs, except in the case of a piece of equipment with a floating transformer output (these will need special handling--please ask).

Perhaps the best part: these are top-quality professional jacks, but upgrading your module doesn't cost the Earth! In fact, for new module orders (when Bantam jacks are specified up-front) there is no extra charge. I can only do this because I can now source good quality Bantam jacks at almost the same price as 3.5mm jacks. In the past, Bantam jacks have tended to be prohibitively expensive, making them not a viable option for synthesizers for many people. Now there's no excuse for not having the best!

This upgrade can easily be added to your existing modules. I will be selling a DIY kit for £45.

The DIY kit will include:

- Pre-assembled Bantam jacks PCB (with ground plane and blue solder mask), customised for your module, with an attached ribbon cable

- 4 x bottom-row jacks (for modules with mults, you have a choice of either all Bantams or a combination of Bantams and 3.5mm for interfacing to other modules)

- Installation instructions

Some simple wiring/soldering is required, but the most difficult part of installing the new jack board is drilling out the jack holes in your faceplates to a slightly larger size. Do not attempt if you have no prior metalworking experience! Bear in mind that original faceplates are not replaceable as they are in very short supply. If you are not comfortable doing the drilling yourself and do not have anyone to do it for you, Hinton Instruments has agreed to handle professional installations of Bantam boards in the UK for me. [ contact: [email protected] for info]

Hinton Instruments is a good source of inexpensive Neutrik/Rean Bantam patch cables in various colours and lengths (cables shown), which are comparable in price to 3.5mm patch cords, and can be made into adapter cables for many popular formats. (I can also provide these same cables upon request, if for example you would like to order a selection of Bantam patch cables with your modules.)

For US customers, I will be in Milwaukee this winter and can perform a limited number of Bantam upgrades there during that time if desired. Please contact me to arrange in advance if interested.

Synthesizer/electronics builders interested in buying PCB-mountable Bantam jacks at a great price--please contact me. Bags of 10 and wholesale quantities available. Many in stock.

plord

WOW.

[Looks at how many non-Wiard modules are in the big blue beast]

DAMN.

(Still...very tempting to retrofit the lot, innit?)

panda30y

This is a great idea!!! SlayerBadger!

slow_riot

Cannot wait!

I've been investigating the possibility of bantams and balanced I/O after Mister Hinton recommended the benefits to me.

Do you think it might be possible to fit a balanced receiver PCB into the Mixolator?

anadeji

Also, Mr. Hinton's ModMix can be made with bantams.... which is now easily my favorite mixer in any format.

This is really exciting, order coming in soon smile

ignatius

fucking TT!!! shit.. that's awesome.

carygrace

slow_riot wrote:
Do you think it might be possible to fit a balanced receiver PCB into the Mixolator?

Not without totally redesigning the module, which isn't on the agenda, but this new jack board is compatible with balanced and unbalanced so you shouldn't have any issues. The Wiard puts out nice hot signals, so you should not have any signal to noise ratio problems (just keep your cable runs to a reasonable length).

carygrace

anadeji wrote:
Also, Mr. Hinton's ModMix can be made with bantams.... which is now easily my favorite mixer in any format.

The ModMix (or several of them) indeed will play very nicely with a Wiard 300 system!

Pascal

may I ask how do the Bantam jacks are cleaned when they get dirty?

a pic of the jack up close would be nice, cause from the posts they seem to be closed type like the mini jacks

carygrace

Pascal wrote:
may I ask how do the Bantam jacks are cleaned when they get dirty?

A cotton swab with contact cleaner on it will work fine.

Special cleaner injection tools for cleaning patch bays can also be purchased from audio/broadcast suppliers, but they are expensive:

http://www.markertek.com/Cable-Management-Protection/Cable-Assembly-To ols/VER-1.xhtml

douglas442

Are there any component suppliers ( ... aside from ebay... ) in the USA that can provide the individual bantam jacks, in small quantities?...

... for a reasonable price, that is?

Given that I've already had a small cache ( some Switchcraft UJ4B's ) for many years now ( that I acquired back in my old hi-tech-dumpster-diving days! ) I've gone ahead and started using them for assembling a starter assortment of modular kits. But just for these, not to mention future projects, I could use a few more ( with an immediate need for another 20-or-so ) .

What few suppliers I could find charge an average of 5-to-6 dollars apiece... or more!

... which, on my current budget, is a little bit more than I'd like to spend on ultimately 50-to-100 more of these.

carygrace

douglas442 wrote:
Are there any component suppliers ...

Mouser sells them (Switchcraft ones), but they are very expensive. You may well be better off purchasing them from Wessex Analogue, even with postage from the UK, as I have a good source of quality equivalents, but they are not normally available in small retail quantities.

They are £1.20 GBP each ( http://www.wiard.com/accessories/index.htm ).

If you want to order 50 or 100, let me know, and I will only charge actual postage. Larger quantities (>250) could probably be discounted a little bit.

douglas442

carygrace wrote:
douglas442 wrote:
Are there any component suppliers ...

I have a good source of quality equivalents, but they are not normally available in small retail quantities.

They are £1.20 GBP each ( http://www.wiard.com/accessories/index.htm ).

If you want to order 50 or 100, let me know, and I will only charge actual postage. Larger quantities (>250) could probably be discounted a little bit.

Cary, thanks for your reply!

That would be about $1.85 apiece, then? That's a very good price, even without a larger quantity discount! Very tempting to buy as many, now, as I will ever need!

But... although a count of 250+ patch-ports may be common among modular enthusiasts... at the current stage of development of my own starter project, I can't even imagine a need for that much hardware yet.

First I have to complete what I'm working on... then we'll see.

So right now I need exactly 50 ( well... exactly 49... but one extra, and then I can put all my switchcrafts back into the parts-drawer as a reserve ). I will email you, then, for total cost and postage when I get a little cash into my accounts.

In the meantime, are these exactly the same as the Switchcrafts? Is there a data-sheet available that gives specs and dimensions?

Also, a good source for the cables?

carygrace

douglas442 wrote:

In the meantime, are these exactly the same as the Switchcrafts?

Almost identical. AFAIK, the only difference is the bushing thread.

douglas442 wrote:
Is there a data-sheet available that gives specs and dimensions?

douglas442 wrote:
Also, a good source for the cables?

Not sure about US sources...will have to look into that. In the UK, I sell patch cables, and so does Hinton Instruments.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1