MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Fixing buttons on an xpander?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Fixing buttons on an xpander?
droolmaster0
I traded for an xpander back a few months ago, and well, the owner exaggerated its condition a bit. Sounds fine, looks great - but the knobs didn't work well, and some of the keys require multiple pressings to 'take'.

I fixed the knobs pretty easily, but I'm not quite sure what to do with the buttons. I don't have skill with this stuff, and I'm fearful of experimenting.

I haven't received an answer on ah yet - hoping that someone here might have some experience with this issue. I suspect that it is a somewhat common problem with xpanders (I know that the flaky knobs are).
K9Mike
Hi,

The good and bad news is:
The original manufacturer of the pushbutton switches is still around, and still makes the exact switch used on the Matrix 12 and Xpander. Bad news is, they are very hard to get.

There are 2 components, the "key module", (the actual push button mechanism), and the "Key caps" (the decorative square cap that snaps on top of the key module, which is what the user actually pushes). Here are the part #'s:

Key module:
Part #6425.0101
Standard version:
(pic: http://www.marquardt.de/docs/ProduktKatalog/deutsch/produkte/index.asp  ?seite=vargruppe.asp&vargruid=476&bauid=78&sp=E )

Keycap:
Part #826 000 011
Square, black, 16mm spacing, no LED.
(pic: http://www.marquardt.de/docs/ProduktKatalog/deutsch/produkte/index.asp  ?seite=vargruppe.asp&vargruid=487&bauid=80&sp=E )

The issue is, Marquardt is emphatic about only dealing with manufacturers (essentially saying, if you are an end user, don't bother contacting us). So it's cool that the OEM of the key switches and key caps is still around making the exact same product.... IF you can get them.

- Mike
ndkent
I have encountered something along the lines of this subject though I don't know if the issue is the same. I've run into an Xpander where it appears the vinyl or whatever they use to cover the front panel surface appears to have flexed or warped enough that it makes the buttons, which appear to be just fine otherwise, stick and need several attempts at pushing them. The first thought I had was maybe one could sand or file the holes for the buttons a little wider, but that would probably mean the buttons need to be removed, which doesn't look easy. Again, maybe your buttons are actually bad, but I thought I'd mention the holes making them stick in case maybe that's an issue and perhaps someone has encountered it and found a safe fix.

As for the manufacturer not wanting to sell. I don't know if it would work but perhaps it's worth a shot being honest if you do have something to repair and just ask them that you have something to repair and can they get you a replacement or contact with a client that might have one. Their attitude might be different than if you present your self as an individual wanting a minimal amount to use in what they might see as a hobby project. Maybe offer them the broken ones sent back for their analysis. After all, it should rightly reflect badly on them that their still manufactured parts that not only wear out but are unobtainable for legitimate repair purposes.
modulator_esp
i have a similar problem with a couple of the bttons on my Matrix 12, would be good to get some replacements for all though, as they are all bound to wear out eventually
droolmaster0
Actually - all of the buttons are now working properly. All it took was a little use. I never used the numeric pad buttons much since I tend to just use the first few presets and overwrite them. So, with the knobs now working, this thing is pretty much good to go.
K9Mike
ndkent wrote:

As for the manufacturer not wanting to sell. I don't know if it would work but perhaps it's worth a shot being honest if you do have something to repair and just ask them that you have something to repair and can they get you a replacement or contact with a client that might have one. Their attitude might be different than if you present your self as an individual wanting a minimal amount to use in what they might see as a hobby project. Maybe offer them the broken ones sent back for their analysis. After all, it should rightly reflect badly on them that their still manufactured parts that not only wear out but are unobtainable for legitimate repair purposes.

"Marquardt switches are components of finished products and must be replaced by the finished product manufacturer. If you are the owner of a product for which you need a replacement switch, please contact the manufacturer of your product directly. Neither Marquardt-nor our distributors-can sell replacement switches directly to the end-product owners."
haven
another Matrix-12 user here (as of yesterday MY ASS IS BLEEDING )

One of the buttons on mine is needs a firm push for it to work, thankfully it is the multi-mode button. I will try pressing it many times like droolmaster did and see if it goes away.

Maybe a different product uses these buttons and we could buy the from that manufacturer?
modulator_esp
haven wrote:
another Matrix-12 user here (as of yesterday MY ASS IS BLEEDING )

One of the buttons on mine is needs a firm push for it to work, thankfully it is the multi-mode button. I will try pressing it many times like droolmaster did and see if it goes away.

Maybe a different product uses these buttons and we could buy the from that manufacturer?

that's a very good idea, if they still make them there must be demand
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1