MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

KOMA Elektronik SVF-201 Vactrol Filter.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> KOMA Elektronik Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author KOMA Elektronik SVF-201 Vactrol Filter.
premieklovn
I just got back from a KOMA Elektronik showcase in Oslo and they showed us a prototype of their new eurorack multimode vactrol filter. It is the same filter as in their FT-201 pedal. Lovely!

I did a short test with a Korg Monotron Delay and a Koma Kommander. Sounded great, but I can't wait to try it out with other euro sound sources. Especially my AFGs. The resonance got that shattered "vactrol scream". The all out-output is a nice feature and can be controlled by CV (sequencing the blend must be fun?).

Behind the big aluminium knob there's a bright white LED which can be turned off by a jumper on the back (it was pretty bright but according the developers they will try to move it towards the center of the knob so it doesn't blind you that much)

According to KOMA it might be ready for sale around november.

exper
WOW!!!

Quite beautiful! Are they going to make the analog delay too! Any filter to compare it to? Is it similar to the PLan B vatrol filters?
premieklovn
exper wrote:
WOW!!!

Quite beautiful! Are they going to make the analog delay too! Any filter to compare it to? Is it similar to the PLan B vatrol filters?

I forgot to ask them if they would make a delay module. Hopefully, this is not the last eurorack module they will make.

It's hard to compare it to other filters since I only got to play with it for five minutes, but it reminds me a bit of the QMMG.
brickman
Be great to see the delay making its way into eurorack , it has a lovely tone to it .
burnn_out!
Man, don't know how many filters I'm going to cram in my 12u but that sure seems tempting... love
exper
Hard to tell as both pictures look different, but is it white or silver panel?
premieklovn
The panel is white. Just like the pedals.
tektoktiktak
Yeah, so it's coming very soon! applause applause applause
I posted the specs below, so you know what it exactly can and cannot do... Shipping will be Nov. 19th! MRSP is 259 EUR.

We are very happy to release this baby. Later this week a few video's will follow and pre-orders will be launched on Oct. 15th (yes, thats next week!)

w00t w00t w00t

KOMA Elektronik SVF-201

ANALOG VACTROL STATE VARIABLE FILTER

The KOMA Elektronik SVF-201 is a state variable filter for the Eurorack modular synthesizer system. It's filter circuit is build up with optical parts (vactrols) therefor delivering excellent studio audio quality and an unique warm analogue sound. The module uses parallel mounted PCBs so it can be used in Skiffs as well as in big cases, the total depth is less than 6cm. The unit comprises 4 audio outputs which can be used independently of eachother at the same time, a High Pass, Band Pass, Low Pass and the unique first ever Mix Pass out. The Mix Pass out let's you sweep continuously through the other three outputs by means of a knob and control voltage.

The SVF-201 offers an amazing sounding filter together with a well designed user friendly surface and a professional feeling inviting you to play it real good.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:

* 4 audio outputs
- Low Pass
- Band Pass
- High Pass
- Mix Out
* 1 audio input with attenuator / adjustable gain
* CV input for Cutoff with attenuator
* CV input for Resonance with attenuator
* CV input for Mix Out with attenuator
* The Select (Mix) Out attenuator acts as a normalized CV source if nothing is patched into the Select CV input
* Large 30mm, full aluminum knob for Cutoff with white backlight (a jumper on the PCB lets you turn it off)
* Large 20mm, full aluminum knob for Resonance
* Accepts bi-polar CV on Cutoff, Resonance CV inputs
* Accepts 0 – 5V CV on Select input

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS:

* Size: 12HP (60,60mm)
* Depth: 40mm (skiff friendly)
* Weight: 170g / Shipping Weight: 220g
* Interface: 2mm white powder coated aluminum front plate + silkscreen printing

SHIPPING PACKAGE CONTENT:

* 1 x SVF-201 module
* 1 x connector cable
* 4 x mounting screw
* 1 x jumper for selecting onboard 5V or bus 5V
* 1 x jumper for turning the knob backlight on and off
* Documentation

RELEASE DATE:

* The scheduled release date for the SVF-201 is November 19th 2012.

nanners thumbs up
Knoepfe
Video.
Soon.
Plz.

Dinner at the Y
brickman
If it sounds identical to the FT-201 , Im in .
osterchrisi
brickman wrote:
If it sounds identical to the FT-201 , Im in .

Yes, the circuit is identical to the one of the FT201, although in Eurorack there's much more headroom of course. Also the Mix Out (labeled All Pass in the prototype you can see in the first post) has more internal gain, so waveforms going out that output have some extra overtones, which makes it sound even more awesome! thumbs up

We will make a few audio (maybe video) examples over the next days and keep this thread updated.
osterchrisi
Here are some sounds! Do yourself the favor and listen to it on a decent setup or headphones...

It's motherfucking bacon yo
nono.dracula
niceeee applause
brickman
Sounds great thumbs up
HeWhoWantsJeans
This. Is. Gorgeous.
tektoktiktak
It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Although the weather is terrible and we are out of milk in the office, we decided to start with taking pre-orders for the SVF-201!

Shipping will be in a month and reserving a unit will make sure you don't miss out on the first run! Yay!

Anyways: go here for more information and for pre-orders:
http://www.koma-elektronik.com/products/svf-201-state-variable-filter- module/

thumbs up
dogmeat
Just got this thing from my awsum wife, the filter sounds amazing! i like its response and the sounds coming out of it are mhhhmmm!!! ...and it looks great also smile

So, i've seen the ISP connector on it, so i am practically obliged to dabble in it, manual says that the thing is hackable and that the code is downloadable, but i could't see, what does the uC do in there? also, could't find any sort of docs/code on the website, please help!
shady smiles
osterchrisi wrote:
Here are some sounds! Do yourself the favor and listen to it on a decent setup or headphones...

It's motherfucking bacon yo

Fantastic. There's a bunch of Koma love going on in an MMG thread inspiring me to hop over here. This demo may have sealed the deal for me. So musical.

Thanks for posting!
magnetize
really really nice, resonance is crunchy!
whitepalms
So sold on this, the high-pass oscillation thing sounds incredible!
Vcs3
If I install the X-mas hack can I still choose to turn off the LED or will it always be on?
tektoktiktak
After doing the hack the LEDs will be off when the Cutoff knob is set to its lowest position (CCW). As soon as you give a CV signal to the Cutoff CV In the LEDs will go on in correspondence with the voltage that you send in. When you turn the knob, the light will also turn on again slowly.

To switch the light off completely you have to desolder the cable again and take of the jumper!
nrvana8775
Damn, it even looks cool.
Vcs3
tektoktiktak wrote:
After doing the hack the LEDs will be off when the Cutoff knob is set to its lowest position (CCW). As soon as you give a CV signal to the Cutoff CV In the LEDs will go on in correspondence with the voltage that you send in. When you turn the knob, the light will also turn on again slowly.

To switch the light off completely you have to desolder the cable again and take of the jumper!

I see.
I guess I was hoping for a way to be able to chose between CV-light control or lights off. Thanks!
fragletrollet
premieklovn wrote:
I just got back from a KOMA Elektronik showcase in Oslo and they showed us a prototype of their new eurorack multimode vactrol filter. It is the same filter as in their FT-201 pedal. Lovely!

Say what, KOMA Elektronik showcase in Oslo`?

Where was it? And where can I find info about this in the future?

I want to get into the wiggler scene in Oslo, didn`t know there was one allready!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> KOMA Elektronik Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2