MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best Looping Pedals?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Best Looping Pedals?
kepner_
Hey everybody -

wondering what are some of your favorite looping pedals?

i just use the easiest DD-6
would love to hear what you guys are using.

-kepner
tiny333
dude i love my loop junky

love love love love

so pretty

and he does not mention it has a super hard on in it so the gtr you play over the top stands out....what more could you want ?

and it doesnt sound all thin and crappy applause
thumbs up
Bananallama!
panda30y
Line 6 DL-4
Very simple, and I can do overdubs and do one shots.
suitandtieguy
i'm very into looping. i've owned

3 Lexicon JamDudes
2 Oberheim Echoplexen
Electrix Repeater
Digitech RDS-8000
Digitech RDS 7.6
DOD DFX94

not in any particular order, though the DFX94 was obviously first.

i really want a Looperlative. however, for now, i'm using a Boss DD-20 in standard delay mode.

i really like the way you can have a 5 second delay loop in the "manual" program setting, and then switch to a memory setting and have the 5 second delay loop continue while you work on a new delay loop (say, seven seconds), then switch back to the 5 second delay which clears it, leaving the 7 second delay to continue.

this allows me to pretty much copy a significant chunk of Robert Fripp's technique when i have this pumping into the Eventide H3000SE.
felix
I had a Line6 DL-4 that was nice for looping; I didn't use it that way much though.

The Zvex Loop Junky is lots of fun and has this great sound to it. No "sound-on-sound" looping though.

A friend has the big Boss looper (I forget the model number) and he likes it a lot.
johnnymad
felix wrote:
A friend has the big Boss looper (I forget the model number) and he likes it a lot.

RC-20XL

i had it, but sold it for more modules. help
plord
I had a DL-4, have played a Boomerang, tried out the new Digitech and Boss units, small and large. Flawed in many ways, all of them, and with the Digitech and Boss units, feature filled in a way that confounds true plug and play-ism. Sitting down blind, trying to record a loop, overdub, erase, then start over? Utterly obscure.

Now I have an EHX 2880 with footpedal. It's ONLY flaw is that you get one loop at a time and and all 4 tracks have to be the same length. But:
* stereo in and out
* click track with level/mute
* Four independent tracks, each with adjustable level *and pan*
* Tempo adjustment to seriously pitch-mangle things
* Footpedal connects with a normal guitar cable, works brilliantly.
* Stores to CF cards in WAV format so pulling it into a DAW is possible, if clumsy.

Of all the loopers I've tried it is the most like a modular. You get one 4 track loop at a time, if you don't like it, you gotta start over. Plus, you plug it in, you plug your instrument in, you attach the footpedal, and everything JUST WORKS. Sounds great too, has shitloads of headroom.

I assume that Looperlative is the logical next evolutionary step, but I'm super happy with the 2880.
tiny333
RC-20XL ... very functional .... sounds shiiit ! confused
chocolatyshatner
Quote:
i really like the way you can have a 5 second delay loop in the "manual" program setting, and then switch to a memory setting and have the 5 second delay loop continue while you work on a new delay loop (say, seven seconds), then switch back to the 5 second delay which clears it, leaving the 7 second delay to continue.

this allows me to pretty much copy a significant chunk of Robert Fripp's technique when i have this pumping into the Eventide H3000SE.

As a Robert Fripp biter, this is good info. I may have to look into getting a dd-20 . . . thanks STG!

I'm using a DOD Timemachine rack /w about 2 seconds delay, max. I really like how crappy it can sound, especially when a hot signal is pumped through it. Add a Fuzz Factory to the input, and all sorts of awful/awesome artifacts pop up! It's the same thing as the Digitech RDS series. 100% wet modulaed echos are kinda cool . . . and so was the $30 pricetag.
aetherpulse
I have a digitech pds1002, digitech pds2000 and a boss dd-20.

I lust after the Looperlative but keep spending my money on synth stuff...
haiku-ish
eh 16s digital delay reissue
oberheim echoplex
futuresoundsystems
EHX 2880 looks awesome.
modulator_esp
DD-20 and Repeater

I started with the DD-20 and like STG I just use it in delay mode.
It's simple and effective and it's nice to be able to set delay time/loop length exactly then just play. At some point I must get another smile

The Repeater is very cool and sounds a lot like the 2880, in that it's 4 tracks all with the same lenght, but it has individual pitch control, great timestretch and is extremely simple to use. It's just a shame that the specific type of CF cards it uses are no longer made and quite hard to come by

I'm contemplating doing live performances with just my modular, Repeater and DD-20
suitandtieguy
this thread makes me want a looperlative AND a crate of DD20s.

I really think those are the best looping tools currently manufactured.
drewtoothpaste
I posted a separate thread about the 2880 but the main feature I think is necessary for my own looping is a slave to MIDI clock - which unit(s) do this successfully? I read horror stories about a 2880 being unable to lock to MIDI accurately and now I'm wondering if something else does a better job.
wetterberg
Why pedals? seriously, i just don't get it
gaslampmusehog
I own 3 Electrix repeaters and absolutely love them, they truly come alive when integrated in to an 8 bus mixer! I think that their best feature is the individual outs and each track can have different loop lengths.
rezzn8r
wetterberg wrote:

I think part of the appeal of a sampling pedal is the ability grab shit when your hands are busy doing other things. makes for more dynamic live performance as well.
kepner_
Thanks everybody! Just what i expected, seems the DD-20 is the most effecient and intuitive of the looping pedals that is for what what it can do, etc.

i'm gonna check it out!
wetterberg
rezzn8r wrote:
wetterberg wrote:

I think part of the appeal of a sampling pedal is the ability grab shit when your hands are busy doing other things. makes for more dynamic live performance as well.
What I meant was; "Why self-contained pedals?"

I prefer software+midi pedals, for instance.
Kent
In my constant quest to be more like "plord" I too have an EHX 2880. Very intuitive and super cool mixdown function.
lightpolite
drewtoothpaste wrote:
I posted a separate thread about the 2880 but the main feature I think is necessary for my own looping is a slave to MIDI clock - which unit(s) do this successfully? I read horror stories about a 2880 being unable to lock to MIDI accurately and now I'm wondering if something else does a better job.

The Repeater, if you can track one down, syncs to MIDI effortlessly.
DonaldCrunk
as a performance looper to do the things _i_ want to do, i really like the boomerang. the way you interface with it is very easy. the buttons are fantastic.

i have a few others too, but that be my favorite
scozbor
kinda off-topic, but can anyone comment on the giga-delay dd20 ??

Thinking of picking one up when i'm in japan.

i would really like the timefactor but it's a pit pricey for me at the moment.

giga seems very versatile. and i would like to explore the looper (never used one before).

i'm thinking that it looks pretty great for the price seriously, i just don't get it
haven
I use the Timefactor - sounds so very clean that most software delays sound muddy in comparison. I don't understand why. My friend made a delay in Csound that is as clean.

Great design for tweaking. Limiters in the feedback path for distortion free feedback, and the various algorithms can make a lot of complex sounds. The foot switches are comfortable on the hands, and you can plugin a 1-3 way switch for floor use or adding functions. I use mine tabletop with a 2 way switch and a expression pedal on the floor. Totally worth the price IMO.

be warned, once you go Eventide you don't go back Soapbox
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2