MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

not volta, but audio to din sync?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author not volta, but audio to din sync?
Johnisfaster
I know this isn't exactly a volta thing but most the people on this forum are into the whole audio to voltage control concept so I thought this would be relevent
http://www.peff.com/journal/2009/07/20/reason-cv-to-roland-din-sync/

I'm curious, how much voltage would be required to pull this off? I've got the ultralite mkI
suitandtieguy
i'm not really sure for an old unit, but the trip point for the Time Buffer's input conditioning transistors is _supposed_ to be 1V ... all the outputs are 5V though.
doctorvague
Johnisfaster wrote:
I know this isn't exactly a volta thing but most the people on this forum are into the whole audio to voltage control concept so I thought this would be relevent
http://www.peff.com/journal/2009/07/20/reason-cv-to-roland-din-sync/

I'm curious, how much voltage would be required to pull this off? I've got the ultralite mkI

The one thing he did that I wouldn't do is tie the MOTU output XLR pin 3's to ground as indicated in the schematic. That is the same issue that's been discussed here at length about possible long term damage to the interface outputs. Pin 3 will be (trying to) output the inverse voltage of whatever voltage is at Pin 2. Pin 3 needs to float rather than be tied to ground per Stretta/MOTU - and they should know. Does your Ultralite even have balanced outs though?? Pin 3 might be a non-issue for you. If that's the case, getting enough voltage out will probably be the main issue, especially if the outputs are -10db unbalanced. I was able to get a maximum of about 2V out of the unbalanced RCA outs of a MOTU 2408 which is enough to trigger some gear and not enough for others, especially older stuff. Doesn't the DIN-sync Start-Stop need to be 5V? Well, that's the spec anyway. As STG basically said, how older DIN-Sync units will actually respond is anyone's guess. It may be worth mentioning that the Start-Stop is a steady +5V when running and 0V when stopped. I mistakenly thought this was a 5V pulse when I was experimenting with this a while back.

Reason is a good tool for this task and theoretically so will Numerology be, though I don't know of anyone who has reported doing this exact thing with it. I did something different but similar within Digital Performer sans the Start/Stop voltage you need for Din Sync.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1