MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

evolver Q/A
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author evolver Q/A
Luka
hey ive just got one of these little beasts and im trying to get some things happening

i was thinking making a thread might be beneficial for a few people who scratch their heads when trying to implement some normal kind of work flows though this box of trix

first up
ive got a simple bass'ish patch rolling
similar to something i do in operator all the time
fast envelope on the pitch of a digi osc and then percussive envelope on the vca
it works with the sequencer
but now im trying to use my mpd16 to hit my sounds

so far ive got the mpd16 connected into the evolver
evolver set to see read all midi channels
envelope trigger is set to see midi notes only

but when i bash the pad on the mpd no sound is coming out
i can see the note light on the lcd flash but no vca envelope opening

can someone shed some light of what i missed?
Luka
hmm i am reading the manual and carbon111's guide

i gave up and tried to use my computer to trigger the patches via midi
and still no love
even on the blank keyboard patch 128 in bank2

what could cause this?
Luka
fixed midi rec was turned off
ex_dead_teenager
yah that was a problem for me a couple of times as well. I love evolvers it was the first synth I ever bought and it's one of my main compositional tools. I use it a lot with a Doepfer R2M you should upload some tunes once you've got the hang of it.

The delay line is great for doing Karpluss.
Luka
i just spent the day making great percussive sample bank smile

i am LOVING the sounds coming from this thing
sounds 10 times as cool as ive ever made in my usual suspects even though im using similar techniques

its the fm'ing and the ringmoding of the digitial waveshapes that is really giving the most love. it really is making me look forward to getting the fizmo
ex_dead_teenager
oooh Fizmo! I've heard you can do microtuning with it. I had someone reccomend that synth to me since I'd like to learn Bholen-Pierce Scale eventually but I think I might have a less expensive way of doing it.

I tried to figure out the cost and size of a modular synth with all the same features as an evolver and it was crazy, Dave Smith really put as much as he could into this little box and they're so affordable. This probably sounds really geeky but I took mine on my honeymoon. (I get antsy when I don't have an instrument I can play. I also brought an accoustic guitar.)

I wish the sequencer was more versatile but what the hell for the price and you get fucking four of them! This thing is indispensable to my rig.

I think the first 60 wavetables on the digital oscilators are the original Prophet VS waves. There's an editor for it as well but I've yet to order it.

I've had little love from the ring mod section of this thing, how are you using it in your patches I'd love to try another approach because so far what I've done has been pretty un-satisfying.

One thing I've got to say is don't write off the input/ouput hack modes. Most of the times they just sound like a shitty digital distortion but with the right signals it will do amazing things.
Luka
today i set up a good bass drum patch that i always make up in operator
just a sharp envelope on env 3 sent to osc 3 with shape 1
then adjust the vca envelope to your percussive taste
but then i added ringmod to osc 4 and started changing waveshape on osc 4

good times
especially once you add lfos to the osc's freqs smile

i could hear my housemates playing all this crazy noise dubstep out in our loungeroom and the evolver beats were on par to the sounds i was hearing out there
ex_dead_teenager
nice! I'll try that tonight.
Luka
hey check my spring reverb emulation
Luka
you know i wish you could apply the different clock divisions to each of the sequencers, would be so useful. but it is fun laying different timed patterns from each sequencer to one parameter like filter or osc freq for complex evolving modulations
ex_dead_teenager
I love how versatile that delay line is!

You can kind of cheat the clock div by using one or two of the sequencers for midi clocks. if you only want to change the time signature on one seq use seq 1 for your music and #2 for midi clock... it takes a little getting used to and I have to admit I'm still not that good at it myself but with some time you can get a couple of different speeds and divisions going at once.
Luka
good tip thanks

ive been making a track with the evolver and absynth all morning
time to take a break and do something else
hopefully ill have something to show tonight
Luka
has anybody noticed that the "not" midi clock option is not available
i want to sync the start stop to my machine drum but the ability to do so seems not to be available for some reason

how would i get it back?
MrTea
Luka wrote:
has anybody noticed that the "not" midi clock option is not available
i want to sync the start stop to my machine drum but the ability to do so seems not to be available for some reason

how would i get it back?

If I want to start the Evolver's sequencer when I press play on my hardware sequencer, I set the MIDI clock to In.

If you have it set to in- it'll ignore the start/stop messages.

The Evolver is a fantastic synth and I use it on everything I do. It's a real jekyl and hyde - capable of delicate beauty and searing cacophony. I love it.

I've done noise gigs in the past with nothing but a desktop evolver and an sm58 Mr. Green
Luka
just tried that and it didnt work
it is in time but the sequencer wont start when i press play on my MD
MrTea
MIDI Rec data is set to all? MIDI Channel is the same? Envelope trigger is set to all?

If all the above are right then I'm not sure. I don't own a MD - is there a setting to make sure it's transmitting the correct MIDI messages?
burgs
I think I'm gonna hang out in this thread... still learning my evolver & having lots of fun.

How many of you Evolver users are using a MIDI keyboard to input sequencer note values? Seems like it would be easy.. i think I might pick up an axiom or something relatively cheap to do that with.
Mr White
burgs wrote:
I think I'm gonna hang out in this thread... still learning my evolver & having lots of fun.

How many of you Evolver users are using a MIDI keyboard to input sequencer note values? Seems like it would be easy.. i think I might pick up an axiom or something relatively cheap to do that with.

total love for mine! love Dead Banana

one of the two synth I decided to keep along with the modular and elektrons...

I advice use of the editor when working with the sequencer, it's twice the fun working in studio.
also inputting notes via the keyboard might be cool, never tried but very useful.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1