STG Soundlabs Graphic Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

JeremyLemos
Common Wiggler

STG Soundlabs Graphic Sequencer

Post by JeremyLemos » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:46 am

http://www.analoguehaven.com/stgsoundla ... sequencer/

has anyone used this thing? looking to trigger a melody from this... did you like it? how accurate can you get the voltage outta this thing?

lorenzovektor
I want cyborg legs

Post by lorenzovektor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:53 pm

its bad ass, you should buy two

I use it along with my STG Time Buffer and Kenton USB Solo so it uses my DAW as a clock

i also like to put a slew limiter on it output so I can make my riff sound "a bit slippery"

MrDys
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MrDys » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:03 pm

I've got 3. Love 'em. The voltage is 0V-5V. Not sure what you mean by accurate voltage...if you're talking about note pitches, you'll want a quantizer after it. But you'd want that with any sequencer where you're after such things...
darenager wrote:I wonder how many people with Maths don't know it can file a tax return, or that Plague Bearer can indeed give bears the plague
suitandtieguy wrote:STG IS ALL ABOUT THE PLUR.

Low-Gain
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Low-Gain » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:13 pm

It's one of the best sequencers for pitch cv sequencing in euro ever. I LOVE that module. Hope to get 2-3 of them in the near future (I've owned 2 of them)

Krukan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Krukan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:44 pm

It's very nice. I like the possibility to switch between the "looping" and "one shot" modes. The one shot mode is triggered by the stage one input.

4utonomy
Common Wiggler

Post by 4utonomy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:53 pm

MrDys wrote:I've got 3. Love 'em. The voltage is 0V-5V. Not sure what you mean by accurate voltage...if you're talking about note pitches, you'll want a quantizer after it. But you'd want that with any sequencer where you're after such things...

Can you explain how you use the quantizr with this?I thought quantizers just aligned beats? Noob i know

rafe127
classy undercarriage

Post by rafe127 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:16 pm

4utonomy wrote:Can you explain how you use the quantizr with this?I thought quantizers just aligned beats? Noob i know
What you are thinking of is a rhythmic quantizer.
In Eurorack modular synth world, there are no rhythmic quantizers exactly.

What is referred to above is a pitch or note cv quantizer.
Such as: Quantimator, Doepfer A156, Intellijel uScale, etc....

http://www.analoguehaven.com/toppobrillo/quantimator/
http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/a156/
http://www.analoguehaven.com/intellijeldesigns/uscale/

dreidrums
Common Wiggler

Post by dreidrums » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:28 pm

In this case, the quantizer is "aligning" the pitch of each step coming from the sequencer by rounding up or down to the nearest tone in the selected scale or chord....

here is a great demo. notice the harmonic sequence does not change, but as he adjusts the cv, the quantizer will in-turn adjust to the nearest chord tone

4utonomy
Common Wiggler

Post by 4utonomy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:58 pm

dreidrums wrote:In this case, the quantizer is "aligning" the pitch of each step coming from the sequencer by rounding up or down to the nearest tone in the selected scale or chord....

here is a great demo. notice the harmonic sequence does not change, but as he adjusts the cv, the quantizer will in-turn adjust to the nearest chord tone

Mind = Blown :)

cycles
Common Wiggler

Post by cycles » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:39 pm

Another happy Graphic Sequencer owner here! It's simple, but does the job very nicely. Am looking to complement it with a Rene soon though. Oh one thing i never figured out is the 'divisions' switch though, it seems to do absolutely... nothing.

Edit: just found out that divisions needs the time buffer too.

propertyof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by propertyof » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:20 pm

I’m really interested with this sequencer. Seems really straight forward and fun. My only concern is 51mm is pretty deep for today standard, also there seem a lot of updated sequencer options in the similar price range.

Is there any recommendation with today technology that have similar style & approach?
Varigate 4+?

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:05 am

propertyof wrote:I’m really interested with this sequencer. Seems really straight forward and fun. My only concern is 51mm is pretty deep for today standard, also there seem a lot of updated sequencer options in the similar price range.

Is there any recommendation with today technology that have similar style & approach?
Varigate 4+?
I still love mine (I have three, but not all of them work at the moment) and use it almost daily. Whenever I flirt with the idea of replacing one in a case I always opt for the Pittsburgh Micro Sequencer, because of the sliders and WYSIWYG functionality. But let's be honest, the Graphic has some functions that you can't find anywhere else, or at least I haven't been able to find all of them in a smaller sequencer with sliders: step 1 gate output, stop/loop option, superbly hands-on sequence length, sequence length changes taking place at step 1, a small bug/feature where a non-precise choice of length goes through all 8 steps.

I'd surely prefer if it was less hp, and I'd prefer if the on-board clock divisions worked with the panel clock input instead of the backside DIN expansion. That's a misfire in my opinion and I haven't bothered with modifying mine - I don't know of anyone who has but I remember asking about it somewhere in the forum.

That's my 2 cents on what is a very playable sequencer. Fell in love because it was the first sequencer with sliders in euro (way before it became a standard!) and that felt very natural to me. Still in love with it after all these years and I naturally gravitate towards it when I need an 8 step sequencer.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

DonaldCrunk
pregnant with sound

Post by DonaldCrunk » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:30 am

I still have mine as well, have lost 2 sliders over the years from dust intrusion sadly but it still mostly runs. The immediacy of the rotary switch is really great, as is the straightforward functionality.

Not sure if anyone is using the DIN bus clocking, the envelope generator quantizes its stages to that bus if you have any DIN24 gear laying around (and a way to get DIN24 onto your bus...).

Varigate 4+ is going to require you to select modes before programming, whereas the graphic is simply a voltage output controlled by sliders. Most analog style step sequencers will serve you will. The graphic is worth snagging if you see it, and works well in groups. I have lots of good memories with mine.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”